Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 1 of 1 5 posts
I've never been able to finish an episode PostMon Oct 28, 2013 11:48 am Offline
Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:27 am2
This problem has persisted across the years since this site first launched, as accessed from different computers, on Windows and Ubuntu, on every major browser, via multiple ISPs, in multiple cities.

It's your ads. There's always one that doesn't play. The player simply goes black, and it stops there. Refreshing eventually allows the episode to be finished. The most recent episode took five refreshes, each with six ads for a total ad runtime longer than the show.

I can't be the only one who has this problem. Seriously, one of your advertisers has been performing a denial of service attack on your site since it opened.
Re: I've never been able to finish an episode PostMon Oct 28, 2013 1:24 pm OfflineBoard Moderator
  • YIM
Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:57 am17368Hollywood, CA
Oh come on! Get yourself an ad blocker! Problem solved!

And if the problem persists, check your AV/AM program(s)
My SP Fan Site.

Favorite Character: Chef (RIP, for reals this time)
Favorite Episode: Anyone with Butters in it.
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Re: I've never been able to finish an episode PostMon Oct 28, 2013 9:56 pm Offline
Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:27 am2
An ad blocker would make things worse by keeping ads from loading, and that would deprive the site of revenue. I mean, sure, just my individual ad impressions wouldn't make a big difference but if everybody thought that way, it would.

I don't want to do that, but I love the site otherwise. The sucky thing is, since the culprit ad never loads, there's no way to know if there's a pattern to whose ad it is. My calling it a dos is a little over the top (on purpose), but surely there's some kind of explanation.

How can the same issue go on for so long, across so many platforms and browsers without being noticed on you guys' end and fixed? I've never seen an issue like this.

edit: I should add... My AV/AM programs? Really? The only way those would be an issue is if you guys affiliate with advertisers who distribute malware. I'd be very, very surprised.
Re: I've never been able to finish an episode PostMon Oct 28, 2013 10:20 pm OfflineBoard Moderator
  • YIM
Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:57 am17368Hollywood, CA
your_ads_are_a_dos wrote:
The only way those would be an issue is if you guys affiliate with advertisers who distribute malware. I'd be very, very surprised.

Or if you've visited a different site that affiliates with advertisers who distribute malware and forgot which one it is. No one else we've heard from has had the issue you have, over 12 years and across so many platforms, using different providers and generations of computers. If you know which ad sponsor is causing you the problem, then you can go about blocking it. Which is why I suggested an ad blocker.
My SP Fan Site.

Favorite Character: Chef (RIP, for reals this time)
Favorite Episode: Anyone with Butters in it.
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Re: I've never been able to finish an episode PostFri Nov 22, 2013 11:55 pm Offline
Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:55 pm2
I've been having the same problem. It's not simply a problem with a pop-up ad or some other piece of malware. It's a problem with the three series of ads inserted throughout the episode. The commercials often freeze so that you cannot complete a full episode from start to finish without having to restart from the beginning (resulting in 3 new commercials before you get back to the episode).

At one time, I had installed a plugin that would block ads and commercials on various sites, but that only made it worse. Instead of just blocking the ads (which would have also blocked revenue from the site, as mentioned above), it also stopped the episode from proceeding.

It does seem like other people have been having similar problems with other episodes (though many people have identified it as a streaming issue, where the episode itself freezes).

I understand that the site makes money through its ad revenue, and I certainly appreciate the content, but I sometimes get the impression that I'm being bamboozled. :) I sometimes feel that I end up watching more minutes of commercials than of the show itself (and that due to the imposed time limits between commercials, I sometimes don't even get to finish whole shows).

I know...beggars can't be choosers, and I appreciate the free content! Just wish I could watch the shows. :) Thanks!

Sort by  
Page 1 of 1 5 posts