Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 1 of 2 20 posts 1, 2  Next
Congressman calls evolution a lie from the "pit of hell" PostSun Oct 07, 2012 10:28 am Offline
Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:42 am2915East Hartford, CT
What a religious nutjob the guy is! I think he should learn the lesson from the South Park episode "Go God Go". As Stan Marsh says, "Couldn't evolution be the answer to how and not the answer to why?" :P

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/new ... eationism/

Bringing sexy back. (Thank you, Drisela, for the pic! :D)
Re: Congressman calls evolution a lie from the "pit of hell" PostSun Oct 07, 2012 1:17 pm Offline
Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:30 am405
Our leaders really should be required to pass some kind of test before they can be elected.
Re: Congressman calls evolution a lie from the "pit of hell" PostSun Oct 07, 2012 8:49 pm Offline
Tue May 24, 2011 1:49 pm3867In range of my WiFi
As far as I can recall all the Republican presidential candidates in the primaries were creationists. This is sadly not newsworthy, though it should be. Denying established science should disqualify you from the race but with so many misinformed or uninformed voters, they can get in - a black mark on democracy as a whole. Then again there are far worse traits that voters are willing to accept but we shouldn't let the bigger problems distract us from this being a problem.

People around the world and political spectrum reject sciences from genetic engineering and 'mainstream medicine' to global warming, so it isn't a uniquely Republican or American problem sadly, this is a manifestation of a deeper flaw.

Quote:
Our leaders really should be required to pass some kind of test before they can be elected.

If we improve education the people might stop voting for these guys, that's the real problem voters putting these guys in office. Then again when these are one of only two viable candidates the voters don't have much choice if they feel strongly on some other issue like abortion, welfare or taxes.

Quote:
"Couldn't evolution be the answer to how and not the answer to why?"

I've always wondered why evolution of all sciences is singled out as the one that isn't compatible with faith. Then again creationists (who are diverse and varied, so not all do this) tend to define every piece of natural history they don't like as 'evolution.'
If the other apparent scientific inadequacies and contradictions in the bible can be interpreted away, why can't cleaver wordplay pretend the fact of evolution is compatible with scripture too?
I feel dishonest using this tactic, as I don't think they're compatible but it's a tactic that works to get people accepting reality and it's not like the Discovery institute and other major pushers of creationism don't use far more dishonest tactics :I
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
Re: Congressman calls evolution a lie from the "pit of hell" PostSun Oct 07, 2012 11:14 pm Offline
Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:52 am2272Croatia (SE Europe)
People who deny science should not use comforts that scientific progress provides.
Re: Congressman calls evolution a lie from the "pit of hell" PostTue Oct 09, 2012 9:47 am Offline
Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:24 pm5686The Mormon Homeland
"This just in: Republican politician denies evolution!" :shock:

It's one thing to reject a widely accepted scientific consensus. It's another to couch one's denial in inflammatory rhetoric and pretend those seeking truth are out to get you.

It's tough when one doesn't have reality on their side. You can't really be surprised when they lash out like this. But the false victimhood of the religious right will eventually become tiresome. They may be able to stand in the way of progress for a little while, but you can't deny reality forever. Future generations will point at this kind of ignorant blabbering and laugh.
You read it! You can't unread it!
Re: Congressman calls evolution a lie from the "pit of hell" PostTue Oct 09, 2012 8:24 pm Offline
Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:43 pm18787I was over nah, but now I'm over heah.
Is he closely related to Garrison at all?
Re: Congressman calls evolution a lie from the "pit of hell" PostSat Nov 24, 2012 1:40 am Offline
Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:09 am18canada
Hes showing off for his voter group. No matter who many people he pisses off he still gets the votes hes supposed to.
Re: Congressman calls evolution a lie from the "pit of hell" PostSat Nov 24, 2012 4:23 pm Offline
Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:15 pm5110
triplemultiplex wrote:
Future generations will point at this kind of ignorant blabbering and laugh.

The things is, it's really not funny. In 2012, this extent of ignorance should have been eradicated long ago.
Re: Congressman calls evolution a lie from the "pit of hell" PostSat Nov 24, 2012 4:28 pm Offline
Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:32 pm3281Somewhere south of the north pole, somewhere north of the south pole
He knows perfectly well what's what, it's the voters that he's counting on not to.
skurtz wrote:
nwt000 wrote:
Get your trolling ass out of here!

I'm more friendlier drinking some espresso.
Re: Congressman calls evolution a lie from the "pit of hell" PostSun Nov 25, 2012 5:01 pm Offline
Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:33 pm382i could tell you, but there would be a pimp slap involved
Pip Tweek wrote:
triplemultiplex wrote:
Future generations will point at this kind of ignorant blabbering and laugh.

The things is, it's really not funny. In 2012, this extent of ignorance should have been eradicated long ago.

nah, you'll have to wait a couple of generations for that sort of idiocy to be bred out. people don't learn from history very well you know.
Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
Ernest Hemingway
Re: Congressman calls evolution a lie from the "pit of hell" PostSat Dec 01, 2012 7:45 pm Offline
Tue May 24, 2011 1:49 pm3867In range of my WiFi
Hell doesn't exist.

A guy studying biology in my dorm just became a creationist today. He learned about the cytoskeleton and started waffling in the kitchen about how every electron exists for the purpose of creating life and how interconnected the universe is. So British science students aren't immune from creationism thinking. I fear the search for human cause is pretty ingrained in us;when I learned about the cytoskeleton it made me wonder "how could that possibly evolve." I then searched on google scholar and found out. We'll never overcome the initial reaction of "how did that happen!" Getting people to search for how it happened instead of just defaulting to "i guess goddidit" is the challenge.

Quote:
Hes showing off for his voter group.

How do you know he doesn't actually believe this? His voter group includes doctors, lawyers and other professionals who don't accept this part of science. A person who isn't totally retarded can have totally retarded beliefs. He may actually believe this - the best liars are those whoa believe their own lies.
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
Re: Congressman calls evolution a lie from the "pit of hell" PostSun Dec 02, 2012 6:18 am Offline
  • YIM
Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:41 am3188Elsewhere
Unassumption wrote:

A guy studying biology in my dorm just became a creationist today. He learned about the cytoskeleton and started waffling in the kitchen about how every electron exists for the purpose of creating life and how interconnected the universe is. So British science students aren't immune from creationism thinking. I fear the search for human cause is pretty ingrained in us;when I learned about the cytoskeleton it made me wonder "how could that possibly evolve." I then searched on google scholar and found out. We'll never overcome the initial reaction of "how did that happen!" Getting people to search for how it happened instead of just defaulting to "i guess goddidit" is the challenge.

What you're referring to is "The God Of The Gaps." Basically, when science can't explain something, religion just fills in the hole with: God did it. This has been the basis for pretty much every religion, who attributed everything from the sun, to hurricanes, to why crops grow, to a deity of some kind.

But now we understand our world better, and using God to fill in the gaps is increasingly becoming irrelevant. When there's a gap, it's not that a deity did it, it's that we don't know yet, and we're searching for the answers.
Can't we all just get along?
Re: Congressman calls evolution a lie from the "pit of hell" PostSun Dec 02, 2012 7:39 am Offline
Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:52 am2272Croatia (SE Europe)
Ex1lepr0 wrote:
What you're referring to is "The God Of The Gaps." Basically, when science can't explain something, religion just fills in the hole with: God did it. This has been the basis for pretty much every religion, who attributed everything from the sun, to hurricanes, to why crops grow, to a deity of some kind.

As my favorite stand up comedian Dara O'Briain would say:
"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop. But just because science doesn't know everything doesn't mean you can fill in the gaps with whatever fairytale appeals to you the most."
Re: Congressman calls evolution a lie from the "pit of hell" PostSun Dec 02, 2012 8:28 am Offline
  • YIM
Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:41 am3188Elsewhere
Mamont wrote:
As my favorite stand up comedian Dara O'Briain would say:
"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop. But just because science doesn't know everything doesn't mean you can fill in the gaps with whatever fairytale appeals to you the most."

That's a good way to put it. While we're at it, the Earth was created when an alien named Bob decided to play a prank on his ex by crashing his planet into hers.

Makes about as much sense as "God created the Heavens and the Earth."
Can't we all just get along?
Re: Congressman calls evolution a lie from the "pit of hell" PostMon Feb 04, 2013 2:47 am Offline
Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:26 am585
People in positions of power in your country actually think an imaginary man in the sky created the universe and actually think evolution is a lie.

What a joke of a country.
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.

Sort by  
Page 1 of 2 20 posts 1, 2  Next