Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 1 of 2 18 posts 1, 2  Next
Name Your Top Ten Non South Park TV Show Faves!! PostWed Oct 31, 2012 9:06 am Offline
Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:09 pm12
I'm curious what all television shows, all time, you all enjoy the most other than 'South Park', so post your top ten here! Here is mine:

1. 'Curb Your Enthusiasm'

2. 'King of the Hill'

3. 'The Simpsons'

4. 'It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia'

5. 'Fastlane' (only lasted one season, but was incredible)

6. 'My Name Is Earl'

7. 'Free Radio' (only lasted two seasons + was on VH1 where it totally did not fit in at all, but was one of the funniest shows I've ever seen)

8. 'Reno 911'

9. 'The Sopranos'

10. 'That 70's Show'
Re: Name Your Top Ten Non South Park TV Show Faves!! PostWed Oct 31, 2012 2:13 pm Offline
Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:24 pm5686The Mormon Homeland
With all due respect to the great shows that came before me, I have to go with ones that were actually on the air in my lifetime simple because I'm not familiar enough with Lucy or The Twilight Zone or any of the other shows that basically created television (and did every idea first). Also I'll restrict myself to scripted comedies and dramas since I don't think it's fair to compare The Daily Show or a good PBS documentary series to shows with actors and plots. So here's what I came up with.

The Simpsons
For a few years, this was the best television show ever made. Period. I actually put it just ahead of South Park to this day.

Star Trek: The Next Generation
Picard, Worf, Data; this show was the shit. It laid the foundation for 3 more series and 5 movies. It was so good because Gene Roddenberry was in charge for most of it.

Family Guy
I know it's en vogue to shit on FG around here, but I was into this show from the beginning. I saw how it was different from The Simpsons; I liked the different approach to humor compared to South Park. And the show's musical sensibility struck a chord with me.

Scrubs
John C. McGinley at his finest. You can tell the show was run by former Family Guy writers. They applied the cut away gag to live action in a way that's been copied all over network sitcoms since.

Futurama
If you think The Simpsons took a slide at the end of the 90's, it's because some of their best people went to create this show. I think Futurama has the most talented voice cast in all of animation.

30 Rock
Tina Fey is fucking hilarious and Alec Baldwin plays his character's corporatist conservatism with such sincerity. On the surface it sounds kind of lame; Fey is making a show roughly based on her SNL gig and Baldwin is mocking Republicans by being one. But the execution is so great and the cast so strong that it works.

E.R.
This show came on the air just as my mother was training to be an EMT so I have her to thank for getting me hooked on E.R. It's the most soap opera-y show I've ever been in to. The amount of regular cast that rotated in and out of there helped make it feel more like a real hospital, I think.

Parks and Recreation
Amy Poehler and Nick Offerman make this show for me. Poehler's idealistic, frantic bureaucrat is so good and even though I'd probably disagree with just about everything the Ron Swanson character believes, I just love his bluntness and honesty.

Louie
This is what happens when you give a man complete control of his show. It's weird, yet still relateable. It's a show where a middle aged comic can point at things in his life and say, "What the fuck?!"

Malcom in the Middle
When this show was on, I was a teenager with two brothers, so I was instantly drawn to the premise. Because this show wasn't like Home Improvement or something where the brothers fight and then everyone learns a lesson within 22 minutes. The brothers in this show did shitty things to each other in the beginning of an episode and resolved it by doing more shitty things to each other at the end.
You read it! You can't unread it!
Re: Name Your Top Ten Non South Park TV Show Faves!! PostThu Nov 01, 2012 2:31 am Offline
Simpsons, agreed incredible.

Star Wars over Star Trek forever.

Family Guy, yeah can't stand it.

I never saw 'Scrubs' while on the air but picked up season one a few weeks ago on Amazon and am looking forward to checking it out. Have heard a ton of great things about it.

Futurama is good but not great.

30 Rock have heard tons of great stuff on but never saw before, have been checking Comedy Central because they play the reruns in order and waiting for them to play season one so I can DVR it.

Don't like C.K.'s stand up so having checked out his show.

Just thought of a show that's on now that I have heard good things about wondering if people can tell me if it's any good. What about 'Community', I've heard it's great but haven't ever seen it yet?
Re: Name Your Top Ten Non South Park TV Show Faves!! PostThu Nov 01, 2012 6:37 am Offline
Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:21 am9
In no real order.

1. Loony Toons
2. Simpsons
3. Family Guy
4. Star Trek Deep Space Nine
5. American Chopper
6. Grounded for life
7. QI
8. Relic Hunter
9. Sea partol
10. Futurama
Re: Name Your Top Ten Non South Park TV Show Faves!! PostThu Nov 01, 2012 9:13 pm Offline
Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:32 pm9640Sedro Woolley
American Horror Story
True Blood
The Walking Dead
King of The Hill
The original Dark Shadows
Beavis and Butthead
The Simpsons
Futurama
Dexter
The Twilight Zone

I mostly like watching horror and cartoons..I am really impressed by American Horror Story..The writers on that show are doing an excellent job. Right now, it is my favorite show.
Re: Name Your Top Ten Non South Park TV Show Faves!! PostFri Nov 02, 2012 12:14 pm Offline
What's American Horror Story, never heard of it? Could someone till me what channel it's on & a bit about it please?
Re: Name Your Top Ten Non South Park TV Show Faves!! PostFri Nov 02, 2012 1:02 pm OfflineBoard Moderator
  • YIM
Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:57 am17368Hollywood, CA
My SP Fan Site.

Favorite Character: Chef (RIP, for reals this time)
Favorite Episode: Anyone with Butters in it.
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Re: Name Your Top Ten Non South Park TV Show Faves!! PostFri Nov 02, 2012 4:57 pm Offline
Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:43 pm18774I was over nah, but now I'm over heah.
(this week's ep was the most f*cked up so far, too.)

I am a massive, massive P1 of Fringe. I absolutely love the hell out of that show, even though I missed the pilot and a few episodes here and there. and I am thoroughly bummed that this is it's final season.

The only shows I really, really care about are South Park, Fringe, and Dr. Who... well and Mythbusters. There are probably about 2 dozen other shows I keep up with, but those four are the top of priority for me.
Re: Name Your Top Ten Non South Park TV Show Faves!! PostFri Nov 02, 2012 9:01 pm Offline
Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:03 pm596The Further
1. Beavis and Butthead
2. Daria
3. Batman: The Animated Series
4. The Simpsons
5. Looney Tunes
6. Animaniacs
7. Food Network
8. Daily Show
9. The Colbert Report
10. Futurama
“The basis of all reasoning is the mind's awareness of itself. What we think, the external objects we perceive, are all like actors that come on and off stage. But our consciousness, the stage itself, is always present to us,” Trey Parker
Re: Name Your Top Ten Non South Park TV Show Faves!! PostSat Nov 03, 2012 12:43 am Offline
Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:54 pm5860Australia
I watch shows that range from rolling on the floor laughter to knowledge gaining to dead serious face stuff:

1. Modern Family
2. Brainiac
3. Untamed Uncut
4. Mythbusters
5. King of The Hill
6. All Saints (.....now you know why i know so many words)
7. Scrubs
8. that 70's show
9. Kyle XY (lasted a few seasons, died, permanent cliff hanger)
10. that 70's show
"We're all just a bunch of multi-coloured humans!"
Re: Name Your Top Ten Non South Park TV Show Faves!! PostSat Nov 03, 2012 1:07 am Offline
Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:49 pm53
Here is mine.....

1. American Dad
2. Robot Chicken
3. Family Guy
4. King of the Hill
5. Beavis & Butthead
6. Metalocalypse
7. The Simpsons
8. The Cleveland Show
9. Aqua Teen Hunger Force
10. Moral Orel

I really never watch sitcoms. Not counting The Simpsons and The Cleveland Show, I have seen just about every episode from all of these shows. I think Moral Orel is smarter than the 2 shows ahead of it but it was a short lived show so it's 10th.
Man at Bar: Enjoying the show?
Randy: To be honest, I'm just here for the blowjob
Re: Name Your Top Ten Non South Park TV Show Faves!! PostSat Nov 03, 2012 2:25 am Offline
Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:52 am2269Croatia (SE Europe)
I don't know if I can name ten, but here are some (in no particular order):
- The Simpsons
- Mythbusters
- Breaking Bad
- The Big Bang Theory
- Bottom
- Phineas and Ferb (older seasons)
- Monty Python
- Malcolm in the Middle
- Black Ader
Re: Name Your Top Ten Non South Park TV Show Faves!! PostFri Nov 09, 2012 9:55 am Offline
  • YIM
Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:53 pm191Milwaukee WI
Mine would be

1.Spaced

2.Firefly (deserved to be on longer than 1 season )

3.Battlestar Galactica

4. The Twilight Zone (The original with Rod Serling)

5. The Venture Brothers

6.Breaking Bad

7.Red Dwarf

8.Arrested Development

9.The Walking Dead

10.Tales from the Darkside
"Sticks and stones may break my bones but words ... words might hurt me deeply, causing great emotional, mental, and psychological damage leading to a lowered self-esteem and decreased work-related efficiency."
-- Anonymous
Re: Name Your Top Ten Non South Park TV Show Faves!! PostMon Nov 12, 2012 3:27 pm Offline
Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:24 pm5686The Mormon Homeland
leopoldstotch29 wrote:
Star Wars over Star Trek forever.

You can like Star Wars more than Star Trek, but we're talking TV shows here. And Star Wars ain't got shit for TV (just a cheaply animated kids' show). Trek was made for television and the world is less awesome place without a Trek series on air.
In fact we need that kind of futuristic optimism now more than ever. We've got too many shows about murder and crime and shit while real life has been sucking pretty hard. It'd sure be nice to sit down once a week and watch a future that's not all doom and gloom like every show set in the future in the last 10 years or so.

leopoldstotch29 wrote:
Just thought of a show that's on now that I have heard good things about wondering if people can tell me if it's any good. What about 'Community', I've heard it's great but haven't ever seen it yet?

Love it. The ensemble cast at its finest. And every one in that ensemble has some sort of glaring and humorous flaw to explore. Dan Harmon really hit a home run with this show. With only 3 seasons under their belt, I feel it's too early to consider one of my all time favorites.
You read it! You can't unread it!
Re: Name Your Top Ten Non South Park TV Show Faves!! PostSun Nov 18, 2012 8:49 pm Offline
Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:14 pm12
No particular order. Can't order my favs.

- Ed Edd n Eddy
- The Office (U.S.)
- Family Guy
- Through the Wormhole
- Into the Universe
- Breaking Bad
- Wilfred
- American Dad
- Falling Skies
- Jackass

At least the ones I can recall right now.

Sort by  
Page 1 of 2 18 posts 1, 2  Next