Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 1 of 1 15 posts
"Red Dawn" remake: North Korea invades us? Really? PostMon Nov 12, 2012 3:35 pm Offline
  • YIM
Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:48 pm1543Dayton, Texas, USA
I can't take this movie seriously. China would've been a more viable invader, but nooooooo! We had to go with North Korea, who hasn't invaded anyone since, well...EVER! I'm not going to see this remake.

/rant. We now return you to your regularly scheduled program already in progress.
Texas born; Texas raised; Texas proud!
REVERSE THE POLARITY OF THE NEUTRON FLOW! (Proud Doctor Who fan.)
Proud member of the Tin Foil Hat Club.
Jeff Murdock "Mopie" (1986-2013) Rest in peace, Mopie.
Re: "Red Dawn" remake: North Korea invades us? Really? PostMon Nov 12, 2012 3:57 pm OfflineBoard Moderator
  • YIM
Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:57 am17368Hollywood, CA
Team America already did it!
My SP Fan Site.

Favorite Character: Chef (RIP, for reals this time)
Favorite Episode: Anyone with Butters in it.
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Re: "Red Dawn" remake: North Korea invades us? Really? PostMon Nov 12, 2012 4:05 pm Offline
Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:24 pm5686The Mormon Homeland
So... it's basically the plot of last year's video game "Homefront"? Which was an equally implausible storyline. They had North Korea like conquering/merging with South Korea, China and Japan before invading the US.

But really you can't have a contemporary movie about any country invading the United States and have it be plausible. It's not just that no country is logistically capable of doing so, it's that no country has any motivation to do so. Oh sure, there's gonna be countries that would like to blow something up around here, but to try and take over the place like in the orignal Red Dawn; there's nothing to be gained by such an extraordinary measure.

Another thing that will almost certainly be absent from the remake will be an overarching anti-war message. Red Dawn came out in the early 80's when the US was escalating the arms race with the Soviet Union. The filmmakers were looking to point out how senseless war is by portraying in graphic detail the ugliness of occupation and combat. The message was clear; this is what a war might look like so should we really be making it easier to happen? It was also a not-so-subtle role reversal scenario for a nation still licking its Vietnam wounds.

Unless that's what they're going to do with the new one. America is still meddling in foreign entanglements of dubious origin and dubious ends. So if they've got an anti-war message in there that puts Americans in the position people on the other side of the globe have found themselves in, then maybe we have a movie. Iraq for example, never attacked America or posed any sort of realistic threat and surprise, surprise, the locals didn't take too kindly to foreigners invading their homes.
You read it! You can't unread it!
Re: "Red Dawn" remake: North Korea invades us? Really? PostTue Nov 13, 2012 4:21 am Offline
  • YIM
Next, some kid's gonna come by and say "SIMPSONS DID IT!" :lol: But really, antiwar message or not, I just don't think this is gonna be a good movie. Call it a hunch, but that's how I feel.
Re: "Red Dawn" remake: North Korea invades us? Really? PostTue Nov 13, 2012 4:44 am Offline
Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:33 pm382i could tell you, but there would be a pimp slap involved
here's my problem with the movie- no one at the studio had the foresight to say "THERE IS NO f*cking WAY WE'RE REMAKING THIS MOVIE! THE PREMISE WAS FLIMSY BACK IN 1984!"
Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
Ernest Hemingway
Re: "Red Dawn" remake: North Korea invades us? Really? PostTue Nov 13, 2012 4:49 am Offline
  • YIM
bazi42 wrote:
here's my problem with the movie- no one at the studio had the foresight to say "THERE IS NO f*cking WAY WE'RE REMAKING THIS MOVIE! THE PREMISE WAS FLIMSY BACK IN 1984!"

That's also a valid point. Thank you, bazi!
Re: "Red Dawn" remake: North Korea invades us? Really? PostTue Nov 13, 2012 8:19 am Offline
Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:00 pm937
GeminiShamrock wrote:
China would've been a more viable invader, but nooooooo!

Dude, China doesn't work as movie bad guys anymore. Don't you read Cracked? :p

triplemultiplex wrote:
So... it's basically the plot of last year's video game "Homefront"?

It might, but I'm sure that's a weird coincidence. The Red Dawn remake was filmed a good year and a half ago. (I know because it got caught up in the same studio issues and delays as The Cabin in the Woods.) Both things were probably in production at the same time, in different industries.

I'm not that interested in seeing it, but if the movie buff I date wants to, I wouldn't be totally against watching it.
To believe in something just because you're afraid of the consequences if you don't believe in something is no reason to believe in something.
Re: "Red Dawn" remake: North Korea invades us? Really? PostTue Nov 13, 2012 7:55 pm Offline
Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:14 pm1425471 feet.
Hey, you can argue that Mexico is already in the midst of a quiet invasion. I can see someone spinning that off into an militaristic American invasion film.

Of course I would wager that Canada invading the US has a significantly higher probability than North Korea.

Still, if I were to try to make an invasion of the US invasion plot, it would have to be Mexico. Texas guns and all.
Re: "Red Dawn" remake: North Korea invades us? Really? PostWed Nov 14, 2012 12:52 am OfflineBoard Moderator
  • YIM
Counterpoint:

Blame Canada! Blame Canada! For...
The smut we must stop
The trash we must smash
The laughter and fun
Must all be undone
We must blame them and cause a fuss
Before somebody thinks of blaming
US!
My SP Fan Site.

Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Re: "Red Dawn" remake: North Korea invades us? Really? PostWed Nov 14, 2012 3:06 pm Offline
Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:24 pm5686The Mormon Homeland
I read on the internets that they initially wanted the Chinese to be the bad guys in this remake, but they changed it in the middle of production.

It's all silly anyway, because everyone knows the next land war fought in the United States will be another civil war. It's way more plausible than an actual foreign invasion; especially from another continent.
You read it! You can't unread it!
Re: "Red Dawn" remake: North Korea invades us? Really? PostThu Nov 15, 2012 9:26 am Offline
Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:52 am2270Croatia (SE Europe)
I'm guessing this movie will be in real time? Cause that's how long a North Korean invasion would last. :lol:
Re: "Red Dawn" remake: North Korea invades us? Really? PostMon Nov 19, 2012 4:03 pm Offline
  • YIM
Mamont wrote:
I'm guessing this movie will be in real time? Cause that's how long a North Korean invasion would last. :lol:

:lol: No, it won't be. It'll probably be over the course of a week or at most, a month. (I hope.)
Re: "Red Dawn" remake: North Korea invades us? Really? PostTue Nov 20, 2012 9:01 am Offline
  • YIM
Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:41 am3188Elsewhere
North Korean invasion? Sounds similar to the 2011 game called Homefront, which actually had a writer from Red Dawn working on it.
Can't we all just get along?
Re: "Red Dawn" remake: North Korea invades us? Really? PostTue Nov 20, 2012 12:23 pm OfflineBoard Moderator
  • YIM
triplemultiplex wrote:
So... it's basically the plot of last year's video game "Homefront"? Which was an equally implausible storyline. They had North Korea like conquering/merging with South Korea, China and Japan before invading the US.

But really you can't have a contemporary movie about any country invading the United States and have it be plausible. It's not just that no country is logistically capable of doing so, it's that no country has any motivation to do so. Oh sure, there's gonna be countries that would like to blow something up around here, but to try and take over the place like in the orignal Red Dawn; there's nothing to be gained by such an extraordinary measure.

Another thing that will almost certainly be absent from the remake will be an overarching anti-war message. Red Dawn came out in the early 80's when the US was escalating the arms race with the Soviet Union. The filmmakers were looking to point out how senseless war is by portraying in graphic detail the ugliness of occupation and combat. The message was clear; this is what a war might look like so should we really be making it easier to happen? It was also a not-so-subtle role reversal scenario for a nation still licking its Vietnam wounds.

Unless that's what they're going to do with the new one. America is still meddling in foreign entanglements of dubious origin and dubious ends. So if they've got an anti-war message in there that puts Americans in the position people on the other side of the globe have found themselves in, then maybe we have a movie. Iraq for example, never attacked America or posed any sort of realistic threat and surprise, surprise, the locals didn't take too kindly to foreigners invading their homes.

Ex1lepr0 wrote:
North Korean invasion? Sounds similar to the 2011 game called Homefront, which actually had a writer from Red Dawn working on it.

Welp, there you go.
My SP Fan Site.

Re: "Red Dawn" remake: North Korea invades us? Really? PostFri Nov 23, 2012 12:18 pm Offline
  • YIM
So the remake came out Wednesday. I have to admit I'm a little curious as to how it does this weekend. And yes, my best friend wants to go see it. I think he's crazy, but whatever.

Sort by  
Page 1 of 1 15 posts