Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 4 of 6 85 posts Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Re: The Seasonal Thread (Spring 2013. Brrrr!) PostMon Mar 25, 2013 12:39 pm Offline
Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:17 pm1
I should complain. It is 73 degrees outside, and i left my jacket at home. NO SNOW FOR SO CAL!!
Re: The Seasonal Thread (Spring 2013. Brrrr!) PostMon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 pm Offline
Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:53 pm302
Time for some seasonal spring holidays :)

Today is the first day of Passover; Sunday is Easter.

Whatever you observe, celebrate, don't observe, don't celebrate - Happy Spring everyone :D
Re: The Seasonal Thread (Spring 2013. Brrrr!) PostWed Mar 27, 2013 4:50 pm Offline
Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:24 pm5686The Mormon Homeland
I tried to do a little ice fishing this afternoon. Didn't get anything, but it was so warm in the sun I spent some time with my sleeves rolled up. It's a weird thing to be hot while you're standing on a frozen lake.
You read it! You can't unread it!
Re: The Seasonal Thread (Spring 2013. Brrrr!) PostThu Mar 28, 2013 2:53 pm Offline
Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:52 am2270Croatia (SE Europe)
I really, really hope this was the last snow until winter. It was sunny and warm today, tomorrow rain. It seems nice weather can't last long this spring.
Re: The Seasonal Thread (Spring 2013. Brrrr!) PostMon Apr 01, 2013 1:43 am Offline
I just saw few snowflakes in the air. Luckily the ground is too warm for it to stick.
Usually this time of year woods start to turn green, but now it's like the dead of winter.
Re: The Seasonal Thread (Spring 2013. Brrrr!) PostMon Apr 01, 2013 7:45 pm Offline
Over the weekend, I helped out with another time-honored spring activity; collecting sap for maple syrup. Now's the time of year when the maple trees are starting to wake up after winter's dormancy. A sustained period of below freezing nights and above freezing days is just what those trees need to get their juices flowing for the year. They start to transport sap from winter storage in their roots up into the canopy so they have the energy to start growing leaves. That's what people take advantage of when they tap the trees for their sap.

A metal spigot is hammered into the trunk of a tree and a bucket is hung from it. The sap drips out of the spigot into the bucket and when the weather is cooperating, a two gallon bucket can be damn near full in just 2 days. When enough is collected from numerous trees, it's a simple matter of boiling off most of the water to concentrate the sugar into the world's greatest condiment.

There's probably a lot of unfortunate people who only know the taste of maple-flavored corn syrup on their pancakes and waffles. It's a shame the stuff is so damn expensive because everyone should get to use the real deal.

I'll probably be back out there later this month to "help" boil it down into syrup. This 'work' mainly involves drinking beer and shootin' the shit while occasionally throwing another log into a stove. The job is right in my wheelhouse of burning things while drunk. It should be fun.
Re: The Seasonal Thread (Spring 2013. Brrrr!) PostMon Apr 01, 2013 11:04 pm Offline
Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:14 pm1425471 feet.
I've been mostly lucky to evade the spring chill that's been going on for most of the country.

But this time of year means spring skiing. 30s and 40s temps are quite nice and some of the snow starts softening up, which is great for mogul runs. Easy to go all day like that.
Re: The Seasonal Thread (Spring 2013. Brrrr!) PostTue Apr 02, 2013 9:43 pm Offline
Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:43 pm18787I was over nah, but now I'm over heah.
triplemultiplex wrote:
A metal spigot is hammered into the trunk of a tree and a bucket is hung from it. The sap drips out of the spigot into the bucket and when the weather is cooperating, a two gallon bucket can be damn near full in just 2 days.

That always fascinated me as a kid. I've just never lived in a part of the country where I could be involved with it.
Re: The Seasonal Thread (Spring 2013. Brrrr!) PostSat Apr 06, 2013 6:18 am Offline
I have a feeling spring won't come at all and that we'll be forever stuck in time between winter and spring.

As for maple syrup, I'm not too crazy about it. I tasted the real deal, but for me the taste is not worth its price.
Re: The Seasonal Thread (Spring 2013. Brrrr!) PostMon Apr 08, 2013 7:42 am Offline
Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:53 pm302
Lyon82 wrote:
I've been mostly lucky to evade the spring chill that's been going on for most of the country.

But this time of year means spring skiing. 30s and 40s temps are quite nice and some of the snow starts softening up, which is great for mogul runs. Easy to go all day like that.

Here it's going to be in the '90s on Wednesday :|

As for maple syrup, I read once (I've never seen it first hand although I'd like too) that it takes 40 gallons of maple sap, after it's boiled down to make only one gallon of syrup. A ration of 40 to one. Now that's sweet :)

Bring on the pancakes and waffles!

Re: The Seasonal Thread (Spring 2013. Brrrr!) PostMon Apr 08, 2013 4:39 pm Offline
Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:36 am1435in a secret underground bunker
They make Maple Syurp really close to me! (In fact, I think they ended last week...it's best done at a certain temperature).

Finally Getting Warmer here! Could reach 70 Tomorrow!! 8)
RTL: I love being a dick to people for no reason. It makes me feel better about how my mom smacks me around with a frozen T Bone steak.
Re: The Seasonal Thread (Spring 2013. Brrrr!) PostMon Apr 08, 2013 5:53 pm Offline
  • YIM
Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:48 pm1543Dayton, Texas, USA
Awesome, Mo! It's been getting warmer down here for at least a month now. Old Man Winter ain't goin' down without a fight though. It's supposed to be a little chilly in the Houston area later in the week.
Texas born; Texas raised; Texas proud!
REVERSE THE POLARITY OF THE NEUTRON FLOW! (Proud Doctor Who fan.)
Proud member of the Tin Foil Hat Club.
Jeff Murdock "Mopie" (1986-2013) Rest in peace, Mopie.
Re: The Seasonal Thread (Spring 2013. Brrrr!) PostTue Apr 09, 2013 5:36 pm Offline
I saw snow flakes today, so screw you guys with your 70'! :p

I went out of town last week and got to see like, green stuff growing; outside! It wasn't much, but hella good to see. Best part is, I missed another snowstorm while I was away. Suck it, Old Man Winter!
<checks forecast>
Touche' you old bastard.

Back in the wasteland, the snow is slowly giving up the ghost. It's a slow melt, so probably no flooding. Yay.

I'm getting concerned about ice out. This spring has been so cold so far that there is still a LOT of ice on area lakes. There's a chance it'll be May before one can physically get a boat in the water. The fishing season in Wisconsin starts the first Saturday in May and I'd kinda like to be able to do that. Got a long way to go. Need those sunny 60 degree days with a stiff south wind to really fry that ice.
Re: The Seasonal Thread (Spring 2013. Brrrr!) PostThu Apr 11, 2013 1:04 am Offline
Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:14 pm1425471 feet.
They made a huge deal over that storm that went through Denver on Tues. It went from 75 to snow in the span of about 4 hours and all the schools shut down in anticipation of an April blizzard.

We got about 2 inches. It will be melted by tomorrow. It was pretty embarrassing.

Perhaps it makes sense. Half the population around here is from California and they really don't know how to handle snow.
Re: The Seasonal Thread (Spring 2013. Brrrr!) PostThu Apr 11, 2013 11:01 am Offline
I think it's safe to say spring is finally here. It was sunny today and warm enough to be only in a t-shirt.
The plum tree next to my apartment is going to blossom in just a few days. About three weeks later than usual, but better late than never.

Sort by  
Page 4 of 6 85 posts Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next