Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 1 of 1 12 posts
A feature that would improve the forum/board PostMon Feb 04, 2013 3:32 am Offline
Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:26 am585
Notifications.

Whenever someone quotes your post, you are notified. It would make sh*t so much easier. I have seen people quote posts of mine from, like, a year ago when I'm reading back some threads and I never even realized.

Oh, and have tags so people can tag your name or mention you.

Notifications/tags/mentions and little user-friendly things like that are partly the reason why people prefer Facebook over message boards/forums now.
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
Re: A feature that would improve the forum/board PostMon Feb 04, 2013 9:52 am Offline
Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:52 am2272Croatia (SE Europe)
Notification would be a nice feature, but all I really want is for avatars to work properly.
Re: A feature that would improve the forum/board PostMon Feb 04, 2013 12:15 pm OfflineBoard Moderator
  • YIM
Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:57 am17369Hollywood, CA
Me too.

Notifications used to work years ago, but like so much stuff on here, it's broken.
My SP Fan Site.

Favorite Character: Chef (RIP, for reals this time)
Favorite Episode: Anyone with Butters in it.
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Re: A feature that would improve the forum/board PostMon Feb 04, 2013 9:14 pm Offline
Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:43 pm18789I was over nah, but now I'm over heah.
I still get email notifications on threads I've posted in all the time. I probably have to delete a dozen or so emails a day from here. More during the show run.
Re: A feature that would improve the forum/board PostTue Feb 05, 2013 5:21 am Offline
No, not email notifications...notifications on the forum when we return.

Email notifications are still good, but much less efficient.
Re: A feature that would improve the forum/board PostTue Feb 05, 2013 11:01 am OfflineBoard Moderator
  • YIM
Haven't seen that feature in any of the forums I go to or have been to - they all send e-mail notifications. Closest thing I've seen to FB notifications (and FB does send e-mail notifications too, heh) is thread-tracking, which allows you to follow any threads you like or have posted in. We don't have that here, unfortunately (but then, I don't use that feature in the one forum I go to that offers it).
My SP Fan Site.

Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Re: A feature that would improve the forum/board PostSun Feb 10, 2013 3:22 am Offline
  • YIM
Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:48 pm1543Dayton, Texas, USA
So you want a Facebook-like notification feature when someone replies to your post or quotes you? As much as I'd like it, I'd have to say it's a bad idea. Wouldn't that be tantamount to intellectual theft?
Texas born; Texas raised; Texas proud!
REVERSE THE POLARITY OF THE NEUTRON FLOW! (Proud Doctor Who fan.)
Proud member of the Tin Foil Hat Club.
Jeff Murdock "Mopie" (1986-2013) Rest in peace, Mopie.
Re: A feature that would improve the forum/board PostMon Feb 11, 2013 4:14 am Offline
Sorry, I don't see what you mean.

How is being notified of when someone responded to you = stealing someone's ideas?

It's not like Facebook invented that feature. I've seen it on forums for years.
Re: A feature that would improve the forum/board PostMon Feb 11, 2013 5:08 pm Offline
Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:43 pm18789I was over nah, but now I'm over heah.
Are you looking for a notification like the popup you get when you have a new private message?
Re: A feature that would improve the forum/board PostMon Feb 11, 2013 9:53 pm Offline
Yep.
Re: A feature that would improve the forum/board PostMon Feb 11, 2013 10:37 pm OfflineBoard Moderator
  • YIM
Closest thing I've seen to that is the number of new replies a thread you have posted in or just looked at has had since your last visit, and a more primitive icon showing you there are new posts. This board used to have the more primitive icon... say, eight years ago. Now it has a "view new posts" link instead of an icon, which probably isn't very helpful. None of this is or would be in your control panel, but on the board itself.

Speaking of the control panel though, you can subscribe to forums and/or topics. When you do, you will be notified of new posts in them (I have never subscribed to any topics or forums here, so I don't know quite how it works). To unsubscribe, go to the control panel, mark the forum or topic and then press the "Unwatch marked" button.

You can also bookmark topics you'd like to catch up with later, and unbookmark them in the UCP.
My SP Fan Site.

Re: A feature that would improve the forum/board PostWed Feb 13, 2013 9:39 am Offline
  • YIM
Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:48 pm1543Dayton, Texas, USA
Brendle wrote:
Sorry, I don't see what you mean.

How is being notified of when someone responded to you = stealing someone's ideas?

It's not like Facebook invented that feature. I've seen it on forums for years.

That's a good point. I therefore rescind my previously stated concern. Have a good day.
Texas born; Texas raised; Texas proud!
REVERSE THE POLARITY OF THE NEUTRON FLOW! (Proud Doctor Who fan.)
Proud member of the Tin Foil Hat Club.
Jeff Murdock "Mopie" (1986-2013) Rest in peace, Mopie.

Sort by  
Page 1 of 1 12 posts