Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 2 of 2 19 posts Previous  1, 2
Re: Lullaby PostMon Mar 11, 2013 8:55 am Offline
Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:53 pm302
Milo Vonnegut wrote:
From your perception of the world, what do you think is the intention of the lullaby?

Without researching this on wiki or anywhere else, I would say off the top of my head the obvious - the melody is soothing for children to help them relax so that they can fall asleep. They (the children) probably don't even know what all the words mean. Like a dog or cat who responds to your tone of voice, children do too.

Examples are talking nice to a dog: "That's a good doggy, yes you are, good doggy," the dog has no idea what you're saying, but responds to your tone of voice. If you yell at the dog, the dog feels bad, again not knowing what the words mean. Same with a child. He/she responds to the melody. And it works!

Now take the words to a common lullaby:

Rock-a-bye baby,
on the treetop.
When the wind blows,
the cradle will rock.
When the bough breaks,
The cradle will fall,
And down will come baby,
Cradle and all!

First of all, a baby won't know half of these words. A baby knows what a "bough" is? I don't think so. However, a baby is lulled to sleep by the melody. As the child grows older, and his/her vocabulary grows - it's really a scary thought to be lulled to sleep hearing about how for some reason a baby was put onto a tree brach while still in a cradle, and in fact the cradle falls, bringing both the baby and the cradle down crashing to the earth, presumably injuring the baby and breaking the cradle into bits!

So:

Milo Vonnegut wrote:
From your perception of the world, what do you think is the intention of the lullaby?

My perception of the world is that it is the melody sung to a young child that helps the child fall asleep; the words are actually a scary thought to hear while trying to go sleep. It's only the melody that's important to the lullaby to sooth a baby to sleep.
Re: Lullaby PostWed Mar 13, 2013 12:40 pm Offline
  • YIM
Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:48 pm1543Dayton, Texas, USA
Big-Will wrote:
GeminiShamrock wrote:
Big-Will wrote:
Or there's Nickelback's song.

Oh, Lord. I can't stand Nipplecrack.

Are you saying Shawn's song is better. :lol:

Only slightly. :lol:

Milo: Mullins. My name is Robert Mullins. >_> Also, I forgot about the Cure song. :lol:
Texas born; Texas raised; Texas proud!
REVERSE THE POLARITY OF THE NEUTRON FLOW! (Proud Doctor Who fan.)
Proud member of the Tin Foil Hat Club.
Jeff Murdock "Mopie" (1986-2013) Rest in peace, Mopie.
Re: Lullaby PostWed Mar 13, 2013 4:06 pm Offline
Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:24 pm5686The Mormon Homeland
GeminiShamrock wrote:
Milo: Mullins. My name is Robert Mullins. >_>

:shock: That's one of my uncles' names! :o

For a brief moment I thought you might actually be him. Then I remembered you're from Texas. My uncle is in suburban Milwaukee and he's probably way older than you. Still, it was plausible in that moment because he's a big South Park fan. We usually have at least one SP chat during family gatherings.
You read it! You can't unread it!
Re: Lullaby PostMon Apr 01, 2013 4:29 pm Offline
  • YIM
Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:48 pm1543Dayton, Texas, USA
My middle name is Paul, TMX. lol And I'm named after my dad. So yeah, I'm Robert Paul Mullins, Jr.
Texas born; Texas raised; Texas proud!
REVERSE THE POLARITY OF THE NEUTRON FLOW! (Proud Doctor Who fan.)
Proud member of the Tin Foil Hat Club.
Jeff Murdock "Mopie" (1986-2013) Rest in peace, Mopie.

Sort by  
Page 2 of 2 19 posts Previous  1, 2