Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 1 of 1 6 posts
When will people stop writing sequels to their insecure atte PostFri May 10, 2013 5:03 am Offline
Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:07 pm33
When will people stop writing sequels to movies with really no room for a sequels in the first place that eventually expose the whole series as an insecure attempt to look cute and do something cool. Like The Human Centipede and Grave Encounters, why cant they just go outside with a staff of some kind and try to banish the snakes from your country like everyone is told in school that St. Patrick banished the snakes from ireland then just assume that there is no god when the snakes show absolutely no recognition that your even there trying to banish them from your land. Save everyone some unfortunate confusion. Perhaps people should start looking at books with perfect plots and see how the author really just worded a story that had already written itself similar to a math equation based on everything that is relevant at the time. It seems as though Ray Bradbury's prediction is coming true to eaches own destruction of course, its wierd why people would go through so much trouble for an equation that does not add up perfectly. Of course this topic has nothing to do with the dialogue the problem is the plot. Like with Grave Encounters for example if the cameras never made it out with Lance Preston in the original, how on earth could the film that everyone watched exsist to those characters in the sequel, for that to have happened Lance Preston would have to have been a fictional character. Not that im trying to be cocky theres just always simple things that I unfortunately see in movies people put alot of money into sometimes.
Re: When will people stop writing sequels to their insecure PostSat May 11, 2013 2:57 am Offline
Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:32 pm9640Sedro Woolley
I watch a lot of horror..But, I can't really remember Grave Encounters very well..Not sure if I haven't seen it,or if I have seen it, and it turned out to be very boring and I fell asleep infront of it. Haven't seen the sequel to Human Centipede either..Not sure if I want to. But I might if it is still on Netflix..

One thing though..The snakes in the story about Saint Patrick are a metaphor for Pagans. Saint Patrick did not literally banish snakes from Ireland, he persecuted people with beliefs similar to mine..What a dick. And, he was not successful, as today, there are plenty of Neo Pagans who follow the Celtic traditions.

Anyway, I guess if you don't like horror sequels, don't watch them..And maybe do more research on history, religion and mythology..And, while you are at it, learn to write threads that make sense.
Re: When will people stop writing sequels to their insecure PostSat May 11, 2013 12:11 pm OfflineBoard Moderator
  • YIM
Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:57 am17369Hollywood, CA
That, and Ireland didn't have any snakes to begin with. Any snakes that are there now were brought in from elsewhere.

Ireland fully converted to Christianity within 200 years and was the only country in Europe to Christianize peacefully. Patrick's Christian conversion ended slavery, human sacrifice, and most intertribal warfare in Ireland.

Quote:
The scarcity of facts about St. Patrick's life has made him a dress-up doll: Anyone can create his own St. Patrick. Ireland's Catholics and Protestants, who have long feuded over him, each have built a St. Patrick in their own image. Catholics cherish Paddy as the father of Catholic Ireland. They say that Patrick was consecrated as a bishop and that the pope himself sent him to convert the heathen Irish. (Evidence is sketchy about both the bishop and pope claims.) One of the most popular Irish Catholic stories holds that Patrick bargained with God and got the Big Fella to promise that Ireland would remain Catholic and free.

Ireland's Protestant minority, by contrast, denies that Patrick was a bishop or that he was sent by Rome. They depict him as anti-Roman Catholic and credit him with inventing a distinctly Celtic church, with its own homegrown symbols and practices. He is an Irish hero, not a Catholic one.

Outside Ireland, too, Patrick has been freely reinterpreted. Evangelical Protestants claim him as one of their own. After all, he read his Bible, and his faith came to him in visions. Biblical inspiration and personal revelation are Protestant hallmarks. Utah newspapers emphasize that Patrick was a missionary sent overseas to convert the ungodly, an image that resonates in Mormon country. New Age Christians revere Patrick as a virtual patron saint. Patrick co-opted Druid symbols in order to undermine the rival religion, fusing nature and magic with Christian practice. The Irish placed a sun at the center of their cross. "St. Patrick's Breastplate," Patrick's famous prayer (which he certainly did not write) invokes the power of the sun, moon, rocks, and wind, as well as God. (This is what is called "Erin go hoo-ha.")

Patrick has even been enlisted in the gay rights cause. For a decade, gay and lesbian Irish-Americans have sought permission to march in New York's St. Patrick's Day Parade, and for a decade they have lost in court. Cahill, among others, has allied Patrick with gays and lesbians. Cahill's Patrick is a muscular progressive. He was a proto-feminist who valued women in an age when the church ignored them. He always sided with the downtrodden and the excluded, whether they were slaves or the pagan Irish. If Patrick were around today, Cahill says, he would join the gay marchers.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... trick.html
My SP Fan Site.

Favorite Character: Chef (RIP, for reals this time)
Favorite Episode: Anyone with Butters in it.
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Re: When will people stop writing sequels to their insecure PostSat May 11, 2013 1:05 pm Offline
Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:24 pm5686The Mormon Homeland
Big-Will wrote:
That, and Ireland didn't have any snakes to begin with. Any snakes that are there now were brought in from elsewhere.

Yeah, the last glacier advance took care of 'em tens of thousands of years ago. Then as the glaciers melted and sea level rose, Ireland was cut off from the rest of Europe before any snakes (and numerous other critters) could migrate north.

On the subject of sequels, I too detest them when they are made for movies that clearly weren't intended for them. Just look at The Hangover. It should've been just one great comedy movie. But somebody wanted to cash in, so they made a sequel which was basically the same movie only this time there was a monkey. Apparently they feel there's some money still in that well so now suddenly it's a "trilogy" (with the part of the monkey being played by a giraffe?). As if it was planned that way all along. Fuck you, Hollywood.

Or how about American Pie? That somehow turned into a monstrous franchise of dick jokes whose sole purpose seems to have been a make-work program for Eugene Levy.

The unplanned franchise produces shittier and shittier movies with each successive release beyond #3 whether it's Die Hard, Police Academy, Jaws or Planet of the Apes. I put all the blame on studio executives. They're all like, "Woah look at all the money that made! Let's do that again! The exact same thing. With as many of the same people as we can afford. Who cares if these are not characters that can hold up a franchise?" Because it's not as cool as the first time, it doesn't do as well, but good enough to make money by dick-riding the popularity of the first one. The cycle continues until it stops making money. That's how we get a movie about Stiffler's little brother pledging at Eugene Levy's frat or whatever the hell that was.
You read it! You can't unread it!
Re: When will people stop writing sequels to their insecure PostSun May 12, 2013 9:14 am Offline
Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:07 pm33
@moondragon: well i dont normally like spoiling movies before i watch them, most people dont. Yeah I went to a catholic elementary school where they played cartoon movies that showed St. Patrick banishing the snakes ect. I found out a year and a half ago when i began studying gaelic that as was said previously in this forum ireland has never had any snakes, just like antartica, iceland, new zealand, and I think the state of Hawaii was the other. The St. Patrick statement was only a metaphor refering to what each artist was trying to show people and the manner in which they chose to display it. I dont know why people are so grammatically anal on these forums, this is just some dumb south park forum if i make a grammar mistake, no money out of my pocket. I type at these like im just texting someone real quick, make you point and get out, otherwise your going to end up looking like that fat guy from make love not warcraft.
Re: When will people stop writing sequels to their insecure PostMon May 13, 2013 12:45 am OfflineBoard Moderator
  • YIM
Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:57 am17369Hollywood, CA
mickey321 wrote:
I dont know why people are so grammatically anal on these forums, this is just some dumb south park forum if i make a grammar mistake, no money out of my pocket. I type at these like im just texting someone real quick, make you point and get out, otherwise your going to end up looking like that fat guy from make love not warcraft.

This will get you very far in life. :)
My SP Fan Site.

Favorite Character: Chef (RIP, for reals this time)
Favorite Episode: Anyone with Butters in it.
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version

Sort by  
Page 1 of 1 6 posts