Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 4 of 4 48 posts Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Which do you Prefer?
Rap 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
Rock 91%  91%  [ 80 ]
Total votes : 88
Re: Rap or Rock? PostSun Sep 15, 2013 12:53 am Offline
Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:43 pm89
For me, it's not as simple a matter of whether or not I prefer rap or rock on a general level, because I like artists of both genres.

In fact, let me preface this conversation by saying that I'm more of a jazz (but not the boring/elevator music/Kenny G kind of stuff - jazz fusion/jazz-rock, like Larry Coryell, Jaco Pastorius and others) and blues/blues-rock guy myself, but will listen to any artist who I discover if I find their music to be appealing. My CD collection consists not only of jazz, jazz-fusion and blues records but of rock, metal, folk, indie, prog-rock, classical, country, and old school rap records. Again, this is because any artist whose music I like I will support.

That said, if we're talking exclusively of rap vs rock: I'd take rap if dealing with old school/90s rap such as Tupac, Biggie Smalls, Nas, The Roots, etc vs cliche mainstream radio rock or much of the metal/rock from the 1980s (with the exception of some bands that started in the 70s and continued into the 80s, like Rush and others, or some bands that technically formed in the late 80s but were truly 90s bands, like Porcupine Tree and Tool).

However, my favorite music to listen aside from good, honest, guitar driven jazz-rock fusion and/or blues is indeed rock, albeit rock from the 60s and 70s. In my opinion, bands with immense instrumental talent, instrumental compositional talent, and lyric compositional talent such as Mountain, Cream, the Jimi Hendrix Experience, Led Zeppelin, Queen, the Grateful Dead, The Doors, and oh so many others far surpass/surpassed even the most poetic and gifted of rappers.

Don't get me wrong - good/old-school rap is amazing if you look at it as poetry and are in the right mindset for it, but that's all it really is, as the majority of rappers do not feature live instruments, do not feature enough of a melodic vocal presence, and are simply not even close to being anywhere near the level of even the mediocre-decent rock bands of the 60s and 70s when it comes to playing music.

In a similar sense, it is my opinion that the vast majority of rockers aren't on the level of the instrumentally-virtuosic jazzmen or bluesmen from whom many of them, even the best of them (cough Led Zeppelin cough cough), plagiarize their songs.
Re: Rap or Rock? PostThu Jan 02, 2014 6:33 pm Offline
Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:53 pm87
god i HATE rap
Favorite Character(s): Kyle and Kenny
Favorite Episode: Scott Tenorman Must Die
Favorite Season(s): 1, 2, 3, and 8
First Episode Seen: Summer Sucks (officially)
Re: Rap or Rock? PostFri Mar 14, 2014 5:24 pm Offline
Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:07 pm1Hell
Depends on who's the artist.
Nigga stole my bike.

Sort by  
Page 4 of 4 48 posts Previous  1, 2, 3, 4