Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 1 of 2 24 posts 1, 2  Next
Matt and Trey should just end South park PostWed Dec 04, 2013 10:08 pm Offline
Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:08 pm2
This season has been incredibly lame added to the fact that we got jipped out of 3 episodes. This show is what put Matt and Trey on the map, this show is what made them millions upon millions of dollars. Since they did their Broadway production and won all those awards it seems like they don't have the energy to put into South Park anymore, so just end the show. The show started 16 years ago and they have come a long way since then but they are still throwing these shows together in the 7 days leading to the deadline?? They missed their first deadline in history this year and when combined with the boring content and 3 less episodes, all signs point to the fact that they don't want to be bothered anymore. Oh wait, we have a "Making of South park" episode coming up, I bet that will be yet another "Snorefest" and another way for them to get out of really investing any time or effort to the series.

These guys just need to end the series and ride off into the sunset to go make more award winning Broadway shows (Yeah, like lightning will strike twice?) and be done with it. They are doing a great disservice to the series presently. Either re-invest yourselves into the well loved and "proven" series or quit the series and stop wasting our time.
Re: Matt and Trey should just end South park PostFri Dec 13, 2013 12:50 am Offline
Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:18 pm1
I've hated every series-type episode of South Park, ever, and this one was no different. They've all been horrible--a crutch these guys turn to ever more often in recent seasons for 'filler' episodes while they're out garnering accolades for their Broadway musical.
I also hated it when the guys killed off Veronica Crabtree and Ms. Chokesondick, and, more recently, needlessly and thoughtlessly destroyed the 'City Wok guy' character in the ridiculously BAD 'City Sushi' episode in Season 15.
I would say Parker and Stone need to 'sh*t or get off the pot', but as they've been getting off the pot to sh*t in our faces for several seasons now, I'd have to change that to 'just get off the pot'--South Park has been so bad over the past 3-4 seasons, I wouldn't be surprised to hear they've switched to meth--that would at least explain why they've been applying what they 'didn't learn' from BASEKETBALL, to their Magnum Opus 'South Park'.
My turning (away) point came with Season 15, especially Episode 7 ("You're Getting Old")--nothing says a big EFF-YOU, FANS, like sitting through an episode viewing how everything looks in Stan's 'World of sh*t' (spewing at the camera most of the time).
Lovely--they've been covering for lack of substance (as in, 'the funny') since Season 14, and before, by depicting some of the most god-awful acts of extreme, over-the-top violence, and they show no signs of slowing their big long 'departure'.
I've been privately speculating that both Matt and Trey fully deposed themselves of all creative influence in the show beginning somewhere along Season 13, and ending finally sometime midway or at end of Season 14.
What's next? Oh, more Broadway I'm sure--there's always Scientology.
I haven't bought a single season of the last 3 (every one before it, though!).
Re: Matt and Trey should just end South park PostFri Dec 13, 2013 10:26 pm OfflineBoard Moderator
  • YIM
Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:57 am17368Hollywood, CA
Brought back this topic and unbanned Gunslinger because mikedenney came in to post this similar opinion.
My SP Fan Site.

Favorite Character: Chef (RIP, for reals this time)
Favorite Episode: Anyone with Butters in it.
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Re: Matt and Trey should just end South park PostSat Dec 14, 2013 5:28 am Offline
Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:11 pm78
I agree that Trey and Matt seem to be winging it lately (when it comes to SP). Book of Mormon, The Stick of Truth, and starting their own production company no doubt prevented them from completely focusing on South Park. So, of course, the quality of the show will not be as great as before T&M branched out in these other projects. However, I must say that I enjoyed season 17 much more than I did 16 (which was mostly just dreadful). :(

I think fans need to realize that Mr. Parker and Mr. Stone "raised the bar" so high, especially during seasons 3-9, that expecting to maintain that level of excellence is unfair to them, and nearly impossible. I mean they have put out so many classic, even LEGENDARY episodes over the years, that I feel we should be grateful for sharing their comedy with us, the captive audience.

Been a fan since day one. I am sad there is only three seasons left. :( Peace.
Re: Matt and Trey should just end South park PostSat Dec 14, 2013 11:59 am Offline
Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:32 pm4
Agree.

While each episode usually has a few gems, they lack consistency throughout, so it's like you're watching a "meh" episode with a few good parts as opposed to a GOOD episode with a few "meh" parts.

These guys are in their 40's now, and while they usually land at least ONE grand slam per season, lately they're striking out more often than not. I don't think they can maintain the commitment they once could, nor do I believe they have the same judgement they once did.

Been a hell of a run though.
Re: Matt and Trey should just end South park PostSat Dec 14, 2013 1:04 pm Offline
Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:30 am405
Most of the episodes of past seasons have been great, in my opinion. I think the reason this season has been less than great is the extremely long delay between seasons 16 and 17. The absence of the mid-season run probably made it harder for them to get back into the groove of making the show. The mid-season run helped to keep the ideas and everything else percolating. Without it, they basically had to relight the cold creativity kettle and wait for it to come to a boil again.

I think they might need that mid-season run to keep things fresh in their minds. Hopefully, they'll find a way to deal with its absence.

I don't want South Park to end. When it's good, it's very good.
Re: Matt and Trey should just end South park PostSat Dec 14, 2013 3:53 pm Offline
Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:00 pm937
mikedenney wrote:
I've hated every series-type episode of South Park, ever, and this one was no different. They've all been horrible

Yeah, well, your opinion is not everybody's opinion. I love the majority of multi-part episodes. I actually can't think of any that I haven't enjoyed, including Black Friday.

Quote:
a crutch these guys turn to ever more often in recent seasons for 'filler'

The multi-part episodes started in season three. Approximately half the seasons contain them, if you count two-parters as well as trilogies. I'm not sure your statement holds much water.
And if they are actually occurring more often lately, maybe it's because Trey Parker has grown some as a writer and occasionally needs more than twenty minutes to tell a story.

I don't understand all the negativity on this board. Some of us still enjoy the show. If you hate it so much, stop talking about it all the time.
To believe in something just because you're afraid of the consequences if you don't believe in something is no reason to believe in something.
Re: Matt and Trey should just end South park PostSun Dec 15, 2013 6:57 pm Offline
Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:24 pm5686The Mormon Homeland
Multi-part episodes date all way back to Cartman's Mom is a Dirty Slut.

And even when they didn't do any from season 5 thru season 9, there were still multi-episode character arcs like Mr. Garrison's sexual identity or Fatass getting on Kyle's case about the Passion of the Christ.

I'll respectfully disagree with anyone who thinks season 17 or any other season in recent years is grounds to end the show. In my opinion, they show has been about the same over the last 8 seasons. Each one has a couple of dynamite episodes, a few good ones and a few clunkers.

For season 17, I thought 4 or 5 were damn good. That's about on pace with of my opinions of the more recent seasons (taking into account the smaller sample size).

After all these years I still find more to applaud about the show than I do stuff to criticize.

Therefore I must reject the suggestion of the thread title.
You read it! You can't unread it!
Re: Matt and Trey should just end South park PostMon Dec 16, 2013 4:54 pm Offline
Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:50 am14
Oh look. It's another one of these threads again... :roll:
Re: Matt and Trey should just end South park PostMon Dec 16, 2013 5:14 pm Offline
Tue May 11, 2004 5:12 pm2644Kenosha, Wisconsin
I'm not a fan of multi part episodes (Imaginationland is an exception) but every season since the start has had it's weak spots.

The second half of Season 10 was horrible. A lot of it was just plain bad, and another half of it had technical errors, plus we got that horrible 3 parter.

Season 11 both the first and second halfs made up for it. Season 12, 13, 14 and 15 were pretty solid. Season 16 and obviously Season 17 are Book Of Mormon hangovers., but even with that they were still pretty solid, 17 having fewer episodes so it's harder to judge.

It seems those people who like the Season 1-3 fart joke humor don't like the modern direction it's going into. You should note, Matt & Trey are not in their 20s anymore, neither are the rest of the staff.

But I can tell you that these guys can still make good episodes. Either with good storytelling or good laughs, sometimes both. Every episode isn't for everybody.
Stan and Kyle :)
Re: Matt and Trey should just end South park PostTue Dec 17, 2013 2:22 am Offline
Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:00 am7
Disagree.

Sure, the show isn't as good as some of the historically great episodes, but it's still funny and a great satirical comedy. South Park manages to be relevant, topical, and sometimes even reflective, when shows such as the Simpsons or Family Guy fail to hit the mark as often as Matt and Trey do.
Smart Aleck Comedy
Find your laughs here. We stole them, sorry 'bout that.

Check out our website!
Re: Matt and Trey should just end South park PostWed Dec 18, 2013 10:30 am Offline
Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:42 pm19
Does anyone out there doubt that the person who started this topic will be first in line to watch episode 1 of season 18? It's somewhat ironic that someone who has clearly been watching the show for years would suggest that it should come to an end.

Personally I still enjoy South Park, and as long as they keep making them I'll keep watching them. I haven't seen The Book of Mormon yet but would like to, primarily because it was written by the creators of South Park. Matt and Trey have provided me with enough solid entertainment where I'll take an interest in whatever they do next, whether it's a cartoon, a game, a live show, or something else.
Re: Matt and Trey should just end South park PostWed Dec 18, 2013 12:17 pm OfflineBoard Moderator
  • YIM
Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:57 am17368Hollywood, CA
I don't think he's willing to freeze himself that long. :lol:
My SP Fan Site.

Favorite Character: Chef (RIP, for reals this time)
Favorite Episode: Anyone with Butters in it.
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Re: Matt and Trey should just end South park PostWed Dec 18, 2013 1:36 pm Offline
Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:06 pm6Arizona
I'm not the biggest fan of their recent seasons, just because I am kind of an old school South Park fan, I am a huge fan of their episodes from 1997 through about 2005. The other seasons definitely had some funny episodes, but they lack to me a bit. It seems like they are riding more on current events for a story structure then just having their own ideas. I like episodes like "Scott Tenorman Must Die" and those because it's not all about what's going on today, it's just a child rivalry being carried out by a psychopath.

Yet I don't think they should end it.. I still tune in and enjoy their recent seasons although all of my favorite episodes are in the past. I kind of like how they touch on current events, and put their viewpoint on it. The recent Xbox One vs PS4 episodes made me laugh, because it was somewhat relateable.

I think Matt and Trey should end South Park when they feel they are bored with it, just like they have been saying. They don't enjoy the process but they enjoy the outcome, and why should they end something that they still want to keep going with?

South Park is not what it used to be, but personally, I think they are just riding their ideas fully on current events, because they are running out of some twisted original ideas. I mean I liked recent episodes like "Eat,Pray,Queef" and the second story in "1%" where Cartman kills his stuffed animals. Those kind of episodes make me laugh more then the current event ones, because it seems more original.
Re: Matt and Trey should just end South park PostFri Dec 27, 2013 8:42 am Offline
Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:37 pm2
NO!

Sort by  
Page 1 of 2 24 posts 1, 2  Next