Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 10 of 10 149 posts Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostFri Aug 16, 2013 3:04 am Offline
Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:26 pm2
Couldn't agree more. Looks like SP is going the way of the Simpson's.
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostTue Aug 20, 2013 3:49 am Offline
Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:24 am1
YOU ALL COULDN'T BE MORE WRONG, IF NOTHING ELSE THE SHOW HAS ONLY GOTTEN FUNNIER WITH TIME. ITS ALSO GOTTEN A LOT SMARTER. EVERYONE HAS A RIGHT TO THEIR OWN OPINION BUT I THINK THE PEOPLE THAT DON'T THINK ITS AS FUNNY JUST DONT GET THE PARODIES AND OTHER CURRENT EVENT JOKES THEY ARE MAKING.
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostThu Aug 22, 2013 11:14 pm Offline
Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:19 pm1
It's hilarious that this thread was made, what, five years ago? And people just kind of picked it back up in 2013...

I feel that South Park has gone through stages in a sense, where the humor and over all tone of the show changed. I would categorize them as follows: seasons 1-4, 5-8, 9-14, and15-16.There are many people who dislike certain stages based on personal preference.

I think that they started going south from 1408, when Parker and Stone came back from doing 'Book of Mormon'. The rest of season 14 was fine, but there was a noticeable downward slide. They had to apologize for plagiarizing 'CollegeHumor' in 'Insheeption'. That was sort of a red flag.

And than season 15 and 16 with their 'subtle' jokes... are just not my taste. I find them tedious and drawn out. The topics they choose, and the spins they put on things aren't nearly as interesting or innovative as before. It's all just the same jokes everyone is making- like with cash for gold, or Honey Boo Boo. It's like they took the end of the 'Don't Hug Me I'm Scared' video too literally. Being creative probably won't lead to eating vital organs, guys.

Many of my favorite episodes are ones with multiple and complex plot lines, such as the 'Imaginationland' trilogy has, and which the new South Park completely lacks. The tone of the new episodes is almost depressing, with 'You're Getting Old' as a prime example.

But that's just my opinion. A lot of people seem to like the direction the show is going in, so I guess they may simply be catering to a different audience. Assuming my theory is correct, they could either swing back around or completely reshape themselves yet again. Fingers crossed.

It's sad that Parker would denounce the first four seasons. They have a charm to them. I mean come on... Underpants Gnomes? Helen Keller the Musical? Mr. Hankey? Mecha-Streisand? The chamber of farts? Sexual Harassment Panda?? Some of the most creative, twisted, and brilliant ideas came from those first seasons, and I will defend them to my grave, along with nearly every episode from before 1408.
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostFri Sep 13, 2013 5:38 am Offline
Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:26 am585
South Park is as good as it ever was, if not better.

It's smarter now. It might not have as many laughs, but it makes up for it with interesting observations.

I used to be one of those "South Park suxxx" now, but not anymore.
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostSun Sep 15, 2013 5:35 pm Offline
Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:30 pm6
I think all South Park is awesome, no matter what season. I don't understand why Trey hates the old episodes so much, I just watched some Season 2, and Clubhouses is def one of the series' best episodes.
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostMon Sep 16, 2013 8:09 am Offline
Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:52 pm129In your hearts.
With the way Season 16 resulted, it's became clear to me that there is no longer an interest in South Park and they are simply using her as an ATM. That's not a bad thing, Matt Stone and Trey Parker are human after all and have human needs. They need money for food, water, clothing, and shelter. I just think it's time for them to step down and explore other things.

(I don't understand why it's such a bad thing to for filmmakers like George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, Michael Bay to make movies simply for the money, when the reason we go to work everyday is to make money. Maybe it's not the same, but it pays our bills, puts bread on our table, clothes us. Unless, it's blood money.)
Send me a PM.

Milo Vonnegut | Milo Vonnegut 2 | Online Milo | Milo Vonnegut 3 | Keyblade | Tugennov Olim

GET BACK TO TWERK
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostMon Sep 16, 2013 8:57 am Offline
Milo Vonnegut 3 wrote:
With the way Season 16 resulted, it's became clear to me that there is no longer an interest in South Park and they are simply using her as an ATM. That's not a bad thing, Matt Stone and Trey Parker are human after all and have human needs. They need money for food, water, clothing, and shelter.

What on earth are you talking about? That's a hilariously absurd theory. Matt and Trey are extremely rich, and have been extremely rich for about 10 years. You knew that, right? Why, after years of not selling out, would they start selling out now? They have money...plenty. Clothes, shelter and basic necessities stopped being a concern for them a decade ago.

Milo Vonnegut 3 wrote:
(I don't understand why it's such a bad thing to for filmmakers like George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, Michael Bay to make movies simply for the money, when the reason we go to work everyday is to make money. Maybe it's not the same, but it pays our bills, puts bread on our table, clothes us. Unless, it's blood money.)

You're comparing us to Steven Spielberg?

You know who Steven Spielberg is, right? He became a multi-millionaire when he made Jurassic Park and ET...the guy has been rich as f*ck for over 20 years. For them to make movies just for cash is lazy as f*ck. To knowingly put out a bad product and get your loyal fanbase to waste money on your product is a sh*tty move. It's profiting off of laziness...Matt and Trey don't do that. The reason why they continue to make South Park is they love it...that's obvious. You can tell they try their hardest with every episode.
Last edited by Brendle on Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostMon Sep 16, 2013 9:01 am Offline
Can I just stress that "looks like SP is going the way of The Simpsons" or "SP is starting to decline" is an observation made about the show every year? And it's always made by young people.

Young people who either don't get the show's depth now, or they're just not watching the episodes properly. I mean, look at the f*cking shows...the wit is still there. The effort is still there. If anything, the show has become wittier and more sophisticated.
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostMon Sep 16, 2013 9:31 am Offline
Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:52 am2270Croatia (SE Europe)
I like older episodes, and I like the new ones too (especially seasons 14 and 15). It's not that it's getting better or worse, it's just different. You can't expect a show that been around for 16 years to remain the same.
The "good old days" are never getting back. Get over it!
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostMon Sep 16, 2013 9:54 am Offline
Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:55 am563
Milo Vonnegut 3 wrote:
With the way Season 16 resulted, it's became clear to me that there is no longer an interest in South Park and they are simply using her as an ATM. That's not a bad thing, Matt Stone and Trey Parker are human after all and have human needs. They need money for food, water, clothing, and shelter. I just think it's time for them to step down and explore other things.

Then what the fuck are you still doing here, Robbie? Does trolling this forum pay your bills? Do you do it for a living? You are like a leech stuck to this forum's ass. If anyone should "step down and explore other things" it should be you, Meeelo. Your self-respect levels must be way below zero, otherwise you would have ditched your lousy trollish routine long time ago. But the funniest thing about it is that you can't even begin to fathom how fucking pathetic you really are.
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostMon Sep 16, 2013 11:38 am Offline
Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:54 pm236
*sigh* this tread again.......

Matt & Trey have gotten older and with that come comes a change of view of life. Because of this natural progression the show itself has changed. In the begining South Park seemed to be written for college age level. Now it seems to be written for adult age 30's to 40's level. That's what happens to shows that go as long as South Park has gone. Either you accept it, or you move on.
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostMon Sep 16, 2013 1:26 pm Offline
Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:52 pm129In your hearts.
VACOOLA wrote:
Milo Vonnegut 3 wrote:

Then what the fuck are you still doing here, Robbie? Does trolling this forum pay your bills? Do you do it for a living? You are like a leech stuck to this forum's ass. If anyone should "step down and explore other things" it should be you, Meeelo. Your self-respect levels must be way below zero, otherwise you would have ditched your lousy trollish routine long time ago. But the funniest thing about it is that you can't even begin to fathom how fucking pathetic you really are.

I'll come back to this hostility once I have not-so-hostile response. (I'm surprised there are no death threats from you)
Send me a PM.

Milo Vonnegut | Milo Vonnegut 2 | Online Milo | Milo Vonnegut 3 | Keyblade | Tugennov Olim

GET BACK TO TWERK
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostMon Sep 16, 2013 2:29 pm Offline
Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:54 pm5860Australia
:roll: to le above

on topic:
I think we've grown immune to the humour that we're used to their hilarity....
"We're all just a bunch of multi-coloured humans!"
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostMon Sep 16, 2013 3:22 pm Offline
Mamont wrote:
I like older episodes, and I like the new ones too (especially seasons 14 and 15). It's not that it's getting better or worse, it's just different. You can't expect a show that been around for 16 years to remain the same.
The "good old days" are never getting back. Get over it!

How has it changed, though? It hasn't.

It's still the same show with basically the same tone. Adults = stupid, kids = smart. The same worldview and moral center. Matt and Trey haven't really changed much. They stayed true to themselves.

Sort by  
Page 10 of 10 149 posts Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10