Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 8 of 10 149 posts Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostWed Mar 17, 2010 2:16 pm Offline
Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:36 pm11269
Niels0827 wrote:
I think the newer episodes (Post-season eight) rely too much on repititious humor. Take the episode "The F-Word", for instance. How many times have they tried to make a funny out of those Harley riders making imitation motorcycle sounds with their mouths? The jokes in the new episodes are just used over and over until they're beyond dried out. Another example - Mr. Garrison's Fancy New Vagina (Terrible episode, btw) - half the humor from that episode stemmed from Mr. Garrison trying to become one of the ladies and freaking them out with his disgusting ways.

The older episodes were funny because the jokes mainly came from the boys acting their age. I swear, they must have the mindsets of 40-year-olds in some recent episodes - very wise beyond their years.

They do, and it gets boring. I don't mind the kids being smart, but I also want them naive on things. Having them basically be smarter than everyone else at all times can get annoying and is a symptom of Lisa Simpson syndrome.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostThu Mar 18, 2010 1:41 am Offline
Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:08 am1
So I just created an account because I need to vent about how disappointed I am in the new seasons. Season 11 was beautiful and it has all been downhill since then. Everything feels contrived and over the top- not in a good way. Butters's character has been WAY overdone. You can only make so many jokes about Butters being naive before it gets old, and they used up their quota long ago. The new voices for Butters, Wendy, etc. just don't measure up. Society is still giving you plenty of material, but with new writers and new voices these seasons just can't deliver the wit and charm of their predecessors. Believe me, I'd love to see a million more QUALITY seasons of the show, but unfortunately South Park died after Season 11. I doubt I'll have many friends on this discussion board, probably because the new seasons have already alienated the majority of the show's true fans. I'm trying to be loyal and stick with it, but episodes like this season's opener make that hard. You can argue that it still has its moments, but it used to be that I was riveted for an entire episode, rather than a couple jokes. And stop feeding me the punch lines! It's insulting. I don't need random characters brought in to monologue Matt and Trey's stance on an issue. I already got the joke. Please don't cater to people who didn't.
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostFri Mar 19, 2010 12:36 am Offline
Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:49 pm12
AGREED... South Park is not as funny as earlier episodes... and more importantly, not nearly as fun in general. Boring, cliché political humor has taken the place of really good stories, and imagination.
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostFri Mar 19, 2010 1:10 am Offline
Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:15 am3
South Park has actually done what most shows have never done... they've actually gotten funnier with age! The first three seasons were great and I truly mean that. In fact, I quit my very first job at Shoney's when I was 17, so I could stay home and watch South Park in it's first season. So, yeah, it was great back then, BUT, it got better and better. By the fourth season you could see that things were progressing and the humor was becoming mind-blowingly more intelligent. Now days when I have my pic of episodes, I usually go for ones between season 6 and 12, not that any of the seasons are bad, but character development for non-core characters really began. Yay for Butters! So, nope, New South Park is just as good, if not better, than the earlier episodes! Keep on crankin' em out, Matt and Trey. We love ya!
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostFri Mar 19, 2010 11:04 am Offline
Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:49 am1
Hey,
Just like the guy above I too just joined to inform how disappointed I am in new seasons. The old south park had a lot to work with because there was still much we didn't know about the characters. But now it seems as if their telling us that there's nothing new to learn about the citizens of south park and their relying on popular media to get a few jokes across. I'm referring to the Tiger Woods episode that was just aired, as well as Dances with Smurfs and Dead Celebrities...

Also, did Matt and Trey hire a crappy writing staff or something?

All I'm saying is please provide original content again.

For example, Mefesto's 4 assed creatures, underpants gnomes, and crab people. But, I understand full well that the days of chef are gone forever. :(
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostFri Mar 19, 2010 1:29 pm Offline
Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:58 pm8
I like all the new episodes, and all the old ones. I think the reason that people don't like the newer episodes is just because they watch SP too much, and might be getting tired of it.

I think all of South Park is awesome. :mrgreen:
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostFri Mar 19, 2010 10:21 pm Offline
Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:10 pm1
I just wish they would put more than a week into writing each episode and stop trying so hard to be topical. I don't care if its topical or not, I would rather have a funny episode. The jokes and storyline of each episode seem poorly written and it seems to me at least that not enough time or effort went into creating something interesting, they just created something that works and fits into a half hour. There don't seem to be many surprises, most of the new episodes are just bland, the jokes seem to be getting formulaic and I can see most of them coming a mile away.

I want more woodland critters!
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostSat Mar 20, 2010 5:27 pm Offline
Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:14 am72
The only season so far that I've found somewhat disappointing was 13 (and I'm not sure how 14 will be).

The episodes past year had less character dialogue and too many celebrity parodies...like the Gay Fish one, it was practically all about Kanye West. In a couple years these episodes won't be funny anymore, because all the jokes relied on whats hot at the moment.

I think they've gotten so preoccupied with ripping on people and things in the media that sometimes it's just not funny. In interviews they always talk about who they're going to make fun of next, but not the characters that the show's about.

I guess I prefer the episodes that aren't all social commentary related and are just hilariously funny. Theres already a bunch of boring talk shows on TV that have plenty of social commentary on them. South Park is way more genius, and they could do so much more than that. They've got these awesome characters that they could expand on, but it seems they're just getting duller lately.
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostSat Mar 20, 2010 5:54 pm Offline
Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:10 pm11176N/A - I'm only part of your imagination.
New episodes > Old episodes.

I said it.

Sure, I hate some new episodes with all of my heart. I hate some of the stupidity abound. I hate episodes like Pinewood Derby. But you know what I hate much, much more? I hate random humor. I hate crude humor most of the time. I love satire. I love, LOVE satire. New episodes have less of the former and more of the latter. I enjoy high-brow humor.

I will now tep back and wait for the flaming. I could be mistaking new seasons for some other series area, but I doubt it.
effses: Austin confirmed for turbo homosexual
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostSat Mar 20, 2010 6:48 pm Offline
Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:51 pm4292San Jose, California
Wii fit man wrote:

I said it.

Sure, I hate some new episodes with all of my heart. I hate some of the stupidity abound. I hate episodes like Pinewood Derby. But you know what I hate much, much more? I hate random humor. I hate crude humor most of the time. I love satire. I love, LOVE satire. New episodes have less of the former and more of the latter. I enjoy high-brow humor.

I will now tep back and wait for the flaming. I could be mistaking new seasons for some other series area, but I doubt it.

I agree satire can be funny, but random humor is the funniest to me. To each his own, I know, but considering how many links to Uncyclopedia you post, I'm amazed you're not crazy for random humor.
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostSat Mar 20, 2010 7:37 pm Offline
Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:36 pm11269
Wii fit man wrote:

I said it.

This is a disingenuous assertion, since most of the actual comedy that is supposed to make you laugh is more low-brow and idiotic than the average joke that was before.

Satire, by itself, is not funny. Satire requires jokes to be built off of it. South Park rarely has, in the newer episodes, built funny jokes off of satirous grounds or has ridden the satire itself into funny places. Normally, they either ruin the satire by relying on the satire itself and not actually developing it comedically, or they don't build strong, funny jokes off of the satire.

The old episodes had more crude humor, but crude and even random humor written as it used to be and at the right pace and with the right sort of angle can be fantastic. So can satire- but lately, South Park has not been a good satire at all.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostSat Mar 20, 2010 8:26 pm Offline
Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:15 pm5110
ShaneHaughey wrote:
Wii fit man wrote:

I said it.

This is a disingenuous assertion, since most of the actual comedy that is supposed to make you laugh is more low-brow and idiotic than the average joke that was before.

Satire, by itself, is not funny. Satire requires jokes to be built off of it. South Park rarely has, in the newer episodes, built funny jokes off of satirous grounds or has ridden the satire itself into funny places. Normally, they either ruin the satire by relying on the satire itself and not actually developing it comedically, or they don't build strong, funny jokes off of the satire.

The old episodes had more crude humor, but crude and even random humor written as it used to be and at the right pace and with the right sort of angle can be fantastic. So can satire- but lately, South Park has not been a good satire at all.

I agree, Shane. I was going to respond that I don't think there is any less toilet humor now than there was and there is no more satire now than there was.

I think the most recent episode demonstrated that satire isn't funny if it's used as a running gag and not varied (the Tiger Woods video game)
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostSat Mar 20, 2010 10:54 pm Offline
Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:10 pm11176N/A - I'm only part of your imagination.
Niels0827 wrote:
Wii fit man wrote:

I said it.

I agree satire can be funny, but random humor is the funniest to me. To each his own, I know, but considering how many links to Uncyclopedia you post, I'm amazed you're not crazy for random humor.

That last sentence is a contradiction, but whatever.
Anyway, I might require some re-phrasing: satire on its own isn't funny, just like random and shock humor aren't funny on their own. Like this:
If someone came in here and made a random fart joke, the only funny thing about that would be how ridiculously unfunny it is.
If someone came here and posted a random picture of dead people, that wouldn't be funny either.
Yeah, I didn't mean satire is funny on its own.
effses: Austin confirmed for turbo homosexual
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostSat Mar 20, 2010 11:04 pm Offline
Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:23 pm1887HANNAHWOOD: Like Hollywood, but better
Wii fit man wrote:
Niels0827 wrote:
Wii fit man wrote:

I said it.

That last sentence is a contradiction, but whatever.

I think Uncyclopedia is just straight up, random humor. Oh, and old episodes were way better.
Niels0827 wrote:
Ke$ha can blow my rod.

She'd like that.

So would I. I'm just that good

Dude jacking off, dude jacking off.....*cough* that's a dude jacking off

I am God's cousin in law. Don't believe me? Well then go fuck yourself.
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostSun Mar 21, 2010 4:29 pm Offline
Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:19 pm1
I will still watch this show, but it really isn't as funny any more. I think the reason why is because from season 10 to now, all they have been doing is pop culture references that create the entire story line. They need to go back to creating their own story lines that have to do with the characters in South Park rather than the characters like Tiger Woods. I'm sure I am going to get a lot back saying that they are doing their own story lines, but I am talking about like woodland critters christmas or the terrence and philip movie preview one. If they go back to that then it'll be funny again. The "pee" episode was definitely Matt and Trey's original story line, but I didn't find that one too hilarious, but if they keep going towards the original storyline, then Matt and Trey will be back on track. I love this show! I just hope it doesn't completely "jump the shark."

-T

Sort by  
Page 8 of 10 149 posts Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next