Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 9 of 10 149 posts Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostSun Mar 21, 2010 6:48 pm Offline
Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:25 pm1646Why do you wanna know where I live? stalker.
It's not random humour if that's how the characters' personalities are.
Then again, Cartman is probably the most arguable in this case as his personality has changed over the course of the show.

Meh, I like both styles for different reasons.
R.I.P Pip: 1989 - 2010
Πιστεύω σε σας

Pull your fucking pants up!
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostSun Mar 21, 2010 8:35 pm Offline
Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:38 pm85
I just created an account so I could post my feelings on the newer season episodes.

South Park is one of the funniest shows on TV. Matt Stone, Trey Parker, and everyone else involved always blow me away with their ability to show you something that you haven't seen before, and things you don't expect. To cite a few examples given on this thread like the "F Word" (Motorcycle guys) episode: I would've never thought of doing an episode about the guys who ride motorcycles and rev their engines for no reason other than to make themselves feel cool. It's a simple idea about something that most people can relate to; who hasn't been annoyed sitting at a stoplight having some homosexual revving his bike right next to you? Then they introduce calling them homosexuals and people getting upset over this, but it doesn't even cross the boy's minds that homosexual is a negative slang for gay people; always a touchy subject. Then to have the gay people in town go and call them homosexuals and help run them out of town.. pretty damn funny and ironic.

Was it one of their best episodes? Obviously that comes down to personal preference, but because South Park has become so successful and has been on for so long, anyone who has watched for any period of time can probably recall a funnier one. I mean Christmas Critters, come on.. how can you ever top that? Honestly, I even saw it coming.. the fox or whomever saying "our saviour", I knew they were evil and worshipped satan. But the blood orgy.. holy sh*t I laughed straight through the entire commercial break and called people that I knew were watching it to hear if they were doing the same thing.

Some people might have thought that was too far, or silly, or reminded them of some obscure thing they'd seen before and thought that they ripped it off.. every episode will miss some and hit others. What you have to decide is are enough hitting you to keep watching the show.

If you don't like the show anymore (bad cartman impression) "that's fine!", watch the old DVDs or streaming video and leave the new ones alone. At some point though you have to realize that given the success South Park has seen, Matt and Trey and the writers are going to do whatever the f*ck they want to do whether or not everyone agrees; and I think it's great. If you look at the shows, you can see that almost everyone of them is based off of one simple idea. One example being "Licecapades", another show discussed on the forum. I for one loved the episode because, in my opinion, what they were doing was showing how you can take the stupidest story, like lice living on someone's head and easily turn it into a "hollywood blockbuster" Michael Bay-esque film. Just put the right music, kill the main character's wife, and have an antagonist politician who is out for his own gain's and not the people's, and you have a "captivating story". That speaks to me because I hate those films that are all special effects and no story, like the recent 2012 and Avatar.

As far as this season is concerned for me, I thought the Tiger Woods episode was a good starter. No one has been talking about anything else for months so they had to do it, and I thought it was funny. The fact that the boys were playing Tiger Woods PGA 2011 in the beginning floored me, totally didn't see it coming. Then at the end when it's all died down, golf is boring again.

Really though, if you're going to watch a show that's been on this long, you have to expect that there will some things that you don't like and won't be as funny as what made the show what it is. I for one though have really enjoyed these last couple of seasons.. "Hi BILLY MAYES HERE TO TELL YOU ABOUT" funny. "We must consult the chart to see how much your margaritaville is worth" INSANELY FUNNY. Cartman as Glenn Beck? Then turning the entire thing over to how Avatar has no original thought whatsoever? Really damn funny. I've enjoyed watching the show grow into more than just toilet humor and the new risque cartoon. Back when it first came out that's really all it was, but because of it's success it now gives Matt and Trey the ability to point out things that piss them off, because they've earned the right from creating a damn good show. This is season 14; and for those who are counting that's about 130 episodes... wow is all I have to say. That's a lot of ideas for four kids who live in a nowhere town.
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostSun Mar 21, 2010 8:47 pm Offline
Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:28 pm1
Here's a thought South Park producers, stop making the children act like 40 year olds. I can't stand it any more. I've been watching South Park since the second grade. No, I'm not one of those people who will never be satisfied with newer episodes, I am not satisfied with them because they aren't South Park. South Park is about 4 potty-mouthed 4th graders, not 4 kids who each have different maturity levels. Kyle who acts like hes 40, Eric who is technically 1 of the 2 kids left of the 4, Stan who acts just as mature as Kyle, and Kenny who still acts like a 4th grader also. I can go on and on about how South Park is so much worse in the new episodes. Why are all the new episodes now The Eric Cartman Show? What happened to the pool of characters that make up the South Park Town? Why all of the sudden are the towns people and parents all idiots and dumber than the kids? Why are Matt and Trey hipocrites when it comes to enhancing movies/shows to try and make them better. For all of you Vets you know what Im talking about, remember the episode where they ripped on Steven Spielberg and George Lucas for digitally enhancing their movies? Well Matt and Trey are doing the exact same thing with better looking characters, shadows, and effects. If you ask me one of the comedic elements of South Park was their terrible animation and how everything looked like it was made of cardboard. I am a die hard South Park fan and will continue to support the show by watching it each week, but a person can only take so much dissapointment. And that season opener with Tiger Woods was one of the worst episodes I have ever seen.
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostFri Mar 26, 2010 2:06 pm Offline
Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:38 pm85
That's what the show has grown into it seems: Cartman is the funny raunchy way South Park used to be, Kyle is the anti-Cartman, Stan is the middle of the road, and Kenny is just there for whatever he needs to be.

I can understand the argument about the kids growing up but if you go back and watch some of the first episodes they're just such simple comedy and all shock value. If you compare the old shows to episodes like Trapped in the Closet, Margartiaville, Fantastic Easter Special; the new episodes have clever and topical issues and usually show how people on either side of an argument or over-reacting. I just respect the writing and their ability to take an issue that people go crazy over, like Tiger Woods, and show how it's so retarded that people have been talking about it non-stop for months now.

I don't know why someone would've liked South Park before when it was just some random story (like a nice monster who weaves wicker baskets and has Patrick Duffy for a leg) and not like it now that it's evolved into intelligent comedy that has a point. It's not like I'm big into politics either; I don't vote or watch the news if I can help it. I hope enough people voice their enjoyment or that M+T keep making the show that they want because I love it. :timmy:
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostFri Jun 07, 2013 2:36 pm Offline
Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:08 am37
what do you guys think of what Trey said in this interview

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,2030213 ... qus_thread

Quote:
WORST
1–48. Every Episode From the First Three Seasons

While Stone has fond memories of the early days (see: ''Best'' list), his co-creator says he wouldn't cry too hard if the show's first 48 episodes, starting with ''Cartman Gets an Anal Probe,'' were wiped from history.
Parker: If I had to permanently erase anything from the library, it would basically be anything before season 4. It's just embarrassing to watch. Okay, we were, like, 26, 27. But it's like, ''Really? We thought that was funny? We thought that was well-written? Oh my God, this is terrible.''
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostSat Jun 08, 2013 12:31 pm Offline
Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:24 pm5686The Mormon Homeland
Wow a major necro! Probably would've been okay to start a new thread about this interview.

I'm disappointed they don't hold their earliest work in very high regard anymore. There is some fantastic sh*t in the first three seasons.

I was totally on board with Pip and the end of Stanley's Cup. Those were so very South Park.

I'll agree about Million Little Fibers being terrible.

The guys still seem to like every time they've mixed up the animation style. All those episodes are among the favorites they listed. I wouldn't agree with the creators that Eat, Pray, Queef is among their best work. Very few of my favorite episodes made their list.
You read it! You can't unread it!
Re: PostMon Jun 10, 2013 7:16 am Offline
Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:02 pm37
KennyStanWendyFan wrote:
I Cherokee Hair Tampons is a very good episode and a perfect example of why classic South Park rules.

THANK YOU. Everyone always forgets about that episode. The whole Mr. Garrison gay book thing, granola herbal mediciene and Cartman not willing to give one of his kidneys to the poor diabetic jew. Gold.

I think South Park has still been funny. I loved Seasons 4-6, but that doesnt mean 17-20 will be any better.Don't dwell on the past, just watch those seasons again. :mrgreen:
Hello, My name is bailrocks123, and I'm addicted to South Park. LOL

Favs:
Charecter(out of the 4 boys): Kyle
Chatecter(in all): Butters
Episodes: Butters' Very Own Episode,Chreekoke Hair Tampons,and Kenny Dies.
Other:
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostTue Jun 11, 2013 9:48 am Offline
my favourite season was season 9 but i dont think anyone else on this site feels that way.

MnT have always said season 10 was their favourite.
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostTue Jun 11, 2013 7:43 pm Offline
Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:09 am18canada
They cant all be gold. At least they still keep it up. Consider that Matt/Trey have been busy on musicals and videogames, and perhaps havent been focusing on SP as much as they should. Last season was kind of a let down, but still had good episodes. Cash for Gold, Blockbuster, and the Asbergers/Matrix episodes had me laughing my @ss off.

There will always be something these guys can poke fun at, just keep turning them out and il be happy. If those other crap cartoons keep going on, SP must exist solely to keep them at bay from turning tv into complete sht. The south park fanbase has to be winning out over the SethMcfarlain crapgasm thats dominating Sunday.No one watches that garbage anymore, and theres nothing memorable about any of it.
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostWed Jun 12, 2013 8:34 am Offline
SaltyBawls82 wrote:
They cant all be gold. At least they still keep it up. Consider that Matt/Trey have been busy on musicals and videogames, and perhaps havent been focusing on SP as much as they should. Last season was kind of a let down, but still had good episodes. Cash for Gold, Blockbuster, and the Asbergers/Matrix episodes had me laughing my @ss off.

There will always be something these guys can poke fun at, just keep turning them out and il be happy. If those other crap cartoons keep going on, SP must exist solely to keep them at bay from turning tv into complete sht. The south park fanbase has to be winning out over the SethMcfarlain crapgasm thats dominating Sunday.No one watches that garbage anymore, and theres nothing memorable about any of it.

lol i didnt like cash for gold. They seemed to drag out the scenes for far too long and it was very slow paced, and I think that season had other very good episodes like sarcastaball, butterballs, reverse cowgirl, i should have never gone ziplining and cartman finds love
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostWed Jun 12, 2013 9:46 am Offline
Tue May 14, 2013 2:09 pm17In your hearts.
Valentine Lovecraft wrote:
SaltyBawls82 wrote:

lol i didnt like cash for gold. They seemed to drag out the scenes for far too long and it was very slow paced, and I think that season had other very good episodes like sarcastaball, butterballs, reverse cowgirl, i should have never gone ziplining and cartman finds love

I had those same thoughts.
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostSat Jun 15, 2013 12:45 pm Offline
Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:27 pm2
I find the new episodes way funnyer than the old!
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostMon Jun 17, 2013 4:12 pm Offline
Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:14 pm1425471 feet.
I actually agree on the first three seasons being kinda embarrassing. There are some undoubtedly great moments in those early episodes, but the writing wasn't strong and the plots more random.

Even once they started having more solid plotting, the show could be hit and miss. For every Scott Tenorman there was a Pip. It took until around season 8 or so for them to end up consistently putting out good episodes.

For me, I am enjoying a number of the newer episodes. They keep making fun of the fact that they are getting older and thus uncool.

The show's been a little more dramedy for some time now and they've done some things with the characters that has shaken up the status quo (Kenny as Mysterion, Cartman and the 1%, Stan getting depressed and more selfish, Butters confronting his grandmother.) It's a long way from talking poop and after sixteen years of watching the show it keeps it interesting.

Are there weaker episodes in the last few seasons? Sure. But I'll take a ho hum episode like Funnybot over Jakovsaurs any day. My 16 year old self may have thought different, but nobody should be the same after that much time has passed.
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostThu Jun 20, 2013 3:39 pm Offline
Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:27 pm2
i find the new episodes have more thruth in them and more social critical humor. the jokes in the early episodes are sometimes too "stupid" for me. i like southpark beeing demanding and really funny at the same time like it's now.
sry for any mistakes ;)
Re: Is South Park just not as funny as earlier episodes? PostThu Jun 20, 2013 11:28 pm Offline
Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:31 pm3
I think they are still good. You can't expect a masterpiece every episode. There are going to be some less funny episodes. Matt and Trey and the other writers can only do so much. I found the ziplining episode from last season hilarious and the one where Randy opened the Blockbuster.

I think the world's just gotten to used to South Park and it's not as controversial anymore.

I still love the series!

Sort by  
Page 9 of 10 149 posts Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next