Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 1 of 2 18 posts 1, 2  Next
Mohammed not allowed by Comedy Central PostWed Sep 17, 2008 9:55 pm Offline
Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:40 pm1
I watched season 10 and the mini-commentary and was surprised that at no point did they refer to the episode when the Super best friends fought David Blaine. Mohammed was there and had the power of fire to cure the giant John Wilkes Booth to kill Blaines annimated giant stone Abe Lincoln. Why didn't "The Creators" use that as a precedent to get around the "suits"?
Re: Mohammed not allowed by Comedy Central PostWed Sep 17, 2008 10:18 pm OfflineBoard Moderator
  • YIM
Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:57 am17368Hollywood, CA
I'm sure they made a version of Muhammad that fit in with the Family Guy parody, and that was the version that was cut. Someone did make a version of the supposed clip with the "Super Best Friends"'s Muhammad which everyone quickly realized was a fake - there's no way Matt and Trey would use that version in the Family Guy parody: it just doesn't fit.
My SP Fan Site.

Favorite Character: Chef (RIP, for reals this time)
Favorite Episode: Anyone with Butters in it.
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Re: Mohammed not allowed by Comedy Central PostSat Nov 29, 2008 4:55 am Offline
Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:05 am152România
Big-Will wrote:
I'm sure they made a version of Muhammad that fit in with the Family Guy parody, and that was the version that was cut.

come on... are u serious? it was a nice joke on Comedy Central, probably the most important one in whole episode (both parts).. i am sure they didn't cut out anything. think about it: the audience is kept curious about the FG episode being censored or not, and when finally the episode is aired.. bam :shock: !! :)
and btw: i broke the dam...
Re: Mohammed not allowed by Comedy Central PostSat Nov 29, 2008 5:05 am OfflineBoard Moderator
  • YIM
Please know your history...

These two don't exist anymore...
Quote:
Media Blog
April 13, 2006
Stephen Spruiell Reporting
Comedy Central Censored Mohammed

I'm not sure if it's been reported yet, but for what it's worth, I just got off the phone with a Comedy Central spokesman. I asked him about last night's episode of South Park in which, at a moment right before the prophet Mohammed was supposed to make a cameo, the words, "Comedy Central has refused to broadcast an image of Mohammed on their network" appeared on the screen.

I asked him whether this truly was Comedy Central's decision or whether this was just another gag (with South Park, you never know). He said:

They reflected it accurately. That was a Comedy Central decision.

Quote:
'South Park' Creators Skewer Own Network

By DAVID BAUDER
The Associated Press
Thursday, April 13, 2006; 4:20 PM

NEW YORK -- Banned by Comedy Central from showing an image of the Islamic prophet Muhammad, the creators of "South Park" skewered their own network for hypocrisy in the cartoon's most recent episode.

The comedy - in an episode aired during Holy Week for Christians - instead featured an image of Jesus Christ defecating on President Bush and the American flag.

In an elaborately constructed two-part episode of their Peabody Award-winning cartoon, "South Park" creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker intended to comment on the controversy created by a Danish newspaper's publishing of caricatures of Muhammad. Muslims consider any physical representation of their prophet to be blasphemous.

When the cartoons were reprinted in newspapers worldwide in January and February, it sparked a wave of protests primarily in Islamic countries.

Parker and Stone were angered when told by Comedy Central several weeks ago that they could not run an image of Muhammad, according to a person close to the show who didn't want to be identified because of the issue's sensitivity.

The network's decision was made over concerns for public safety, the person said.

Comedy Central said in a statement issued Thursday: "In light of recent world events, we feel we made the right decision." Its executives would not comment further.

...but this one still does.
Quote:
In an interview Thursday evening, South Park Executive Producer Anne Garefino revealed to me that the show was faced with two options: deliver the episode as written and animated with Mohammed shown and then allow Comedy Central to censor it, or edit out the disputed scene and write their own language explaining why Mohammed was not being shown and whose decision it was. “We wanted everyone to understand how strongly we felt about this,” said Garefino. Although the decision to omit Mohammed was not theirs, they wanted the language of the censorship disclosure to be their own.

Garefino also confirmed that a short video circulating on the internet, which purports to be the excised South Park scene with Mohammed, is a forgery, though she revealed that a scene with Mohammed was animated and does exist. Garefino reported that she still hopes that the original, uncensored episode of South Park will be shown in the near future.
My SP Fan Site.

Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Re: Mohammed not allowed by Comedy Central PostSat Nov 29, 2008 6:20 am Offline
Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:05 am152România
:( well.. too bad!! i was mostly aware of this story, but i didnt't even want to imagine that CC's attitude was so strong about it, i thought it was only a friendly kick in the butt from SP's creators...

however, this still makes me think that the script was not changed, but made like this from the good start to fit and reflect CC's requests, at it came out very well. i don't see how the message of episode could have been achieved better with an actual appearence of Muhammed, especially since it would have not been the first one in the series...

..so what about the "Super Best Friends" episode, was it never reaired either since?
and btw: i broke the dam...
Re: Mohammed not allowed by Comedy Central PostSat Nov 29, 2008 12:44 pm OfflineBoard Moderator
  • YIM
Quintuplets_Father wrote:
what about the "Super Best Friends" episode, was it never reaired either since?

Comedy Central still airs it, as far as I know.
My SP Fan Site.

Re: Mohammed not allowed by Comedy Central PostSat Nov 29, 2008 12:50 pm Offline
Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:05 pm6155in
Not only that but I think you can see Mohammad in the beggining of the song. Or at least on older eps. Anyways, I found the censored version much better actually.
Causing havoc on the BBS one post at a time

Officially supports the de-perma of GTA, Mike, Cartman, and possibly others

SPU! Join it!
Re: Mohammed not allowed by Comedy Central PostSun Feb 22, 2009 4:26 pm Offline
Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:52 pm6Kennewick, WA
well its obvious in the family guy parody that it was the SP creators that censored it because then the charecters wouldnt talk about muhammed being censored. wasnt that what the entire episode was about?
Re: Mohammed not allowed by Comedy Central PostMon Feb 23, 2009 10:12 am Offline
Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:10 pm33
The best part about the mohammed episode is on the 2nd part with all of the people sh**ing on each other. But its a shame about the mohammed being censored on south park i would have liked to see that uncensored.
Re: Mohammed not allowed by Comedy Central PostMon Feb 23, 2009 1:14 pm Offline
^Yea, yea it was. It's kinda ironic that they allowed that to happen, but yet didn't allow Muhammad to air. I mean, they could have pissed many people off with that and caused even more controversy than it did. But I'm kinda glad that it happened to show how hypocritical the douche bags they are. Maybe that's why I preferred it censored a few months ago. Because it being uncensored wouldn't have the same irony as it would have.

SPU! Join it!
Re: Mohammed not allowed by Comedy Central PostWed Feb 25, 2009 3:47 am Offline
Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:56 am36
Don't blame the network. They have a responsibility to protect themselves and their employees from danger and harm.
Re: Mohammed not allowed by Comedy Central PostWed Feb 25, 2009 9:03 am Offline
Fine, lets blame Canada then!

In seriousness though, I think we should blame Comedy Central. They allowed worse than a simple picture to air. Like they allowed Bloody Mary to show and it caused a bunch of controversy, or Scientology and that caused way more controversy seeing that Issac Haynes left the show due to Matt and Trey joking about religion, they could have prevented the "Jared Has Aides" episode from airing too because it made fun of a sponsor. And not only that, but they still show "Super Best Friends" which has Muhammad in the show.

SPU! Join it!
Re: Mohammed not allowed by Comedy Central PostWed Feb 25, 2009 9:28 pm Offline
Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:56 am36
^ None of those other groups have threatened to kill anyone yet though.

As for "Super Best Friends", I dunno. They made that episode before the whole Danish cartoon debacle took place and they knew better. Just hope no wacko Islamist catches onto it and decides to take out anybody in the SP or CC crew for it.
Re: Mohammed not allowed by Comedy Central PostTue Mar 03, 2009 4:39 am Offline
Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:32 am9
I don't blame CC. They were trying to protect their lives, not just prevent offending their audience.
Re: Mohammed not allowed by Comedy Central PostTue Mar 03, 2009 8:54 am Offline
Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:41 pm529
That whole scene in the second part of cartoon wars where it cuts to black and announces: "Comedy Central refuses to broadcast an image of Mohammed, etc, etc," made for an awesome joke. Even if it wasn't intended to be.

Sort by  
Page 1 of 2 18 posts 1, 2  Next