Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 1 of 1 14 posts
looking at merchandise almost brought a tear to my eye PostMon Oct 22, 2012 3:43 am Offline
Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:23 pm14
theres so much cool stuff on ebay. i saw even south park ties. i dont wear a tie but im going to buy one.

i grew up watching this show from the very beginning. i watched it with my sister and in the earlier season 1 2 3 we never really understood the jokes. but we laughed anyways . South Park back then had something really magical. something that made it special.

but for the last 6-7 seasons it hasnt had that. its still my favorite show. i will still one day cover my arm in a tattoo of it. i still watch it as i have done from the beginning. i still respect the show. but each week i feel disappointed. its a shell of what it once was.

it doesnt feel as funny or magical anymore. i know we had characters develop like butters randy and garrison. but we lost a lot of good ones aswell. i miss the iconic bus stop scenes and mrs crabtree pulling up in the bus and screaming at the boys.

now it feels like "hey this was in the news this week so lets make fun of it". i miss the wackiness of kenny always dying, giant monsters (streisand) or her face in each corner in the spooky fish episode.

i just finished watching the movie again. even the look i miss. the darker, older looking colors. now it seems everythings too bright and shiny. i dont feel southpark needed the hd crap.

im hoping this trick or treating episode brings back some magic. season 16 has been imo the weakest season ever. i cannot physically watch that zip-lining episode as i feel i would end up cutting my wrists.

im not bashing the show. but its lost its magic to me. i wish it could go back to its roots but still have butters randy etc and bring back the bus stop scenes.

even the intro is upsetting. its pieces of episodes spliced together. i miss the intro from season 1. it was so unique.

even cartmans voice. it was so much better back then. now its not funny anymore. i know chef could never be brought back. but if kenny can come back. why not mrs crabtree, pip etc etc. even mr hat.

again im not hating on the show. i respect it and matt and trey more than anything. i had a smile from ear to ear to looking at all the merchandise on ebay. i just miss the bizarre funny south park. its just not as good anymore. raising your hopes up every wed only to have them shot down by a poor un funny episode. its heartbreaking.

if its true they are signed to make up to 20 seasons. i hope, i pray, the original intro, older characters and wacky stories return. dont let one of the most fantastic and wonderful shows end with weak episodes. :zombiekenny:
Re: looking at merchandise almost brought a tear to my eye PostTue Oct 23, 2012 11:38 pm Offline
Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:32 pm9640Sedro Woolley
I have felt the way you do before..Back in 2006..All I can say is keep watching, and you just might find you really love some of the future episodes. I did..Yes, South Park has changed, but if you think about it, everyone in entertainment changes their style in some way after working for a decade. Most of the other directors or singers or other entertainers I like, besides Trey and Matt have changed their work in some ways after more than 10 years. People don't want to make the same things over and over, and it is also hard to keep working if you don't do anything new to keep the fans interested.
Re: looking at merchandise almost brought a tear to my eye PostWed Oct 24, 2012 6:44 am Offline
Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:43 pm18790I was over nah, but now I'm over heah.
I was getting ready to come in here and say that 'it brings a tear to my eye that there isn't as much good merch out there as there used to be', but that was before I checked the actual shop. There's all kinds of cool stuff in there. True, there aren't as many plushes or gifty type things as there used to be, but there's plenty of other cool stuff. I guess it's just that there isn't as much of this stuff in actual physical stores as there used to be, so it's sort of out of mind.

True, the later episodes have changed from what the earlier ones were, but hell that happens with every long running show. M00n hit it right on the head though. Keep watching, and you might find something you like.
Re: looking at merchandise almost brought a tear to my eye PostTue Oct 30, 2012 3:22 pm Offline
Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:49 pm53
Butters159 I completely agree with everything you said. The first few seasons and even the few other seasons after that were just classic. It was magical and more funny. Sometimes I go back to season 1 and 2 to relive those old days. Episodes back then had little clever funny moments scattered throughout them from beginning to end.

They were so wacky and funny and the animation just made it funnier. Remember when Jimbo was going to the betting building to place his bet on the Satan and Jesus boxing match and outside the building looked tiny but once he got inside it was a LOT bigger? I miss moments like that. I miss moments like when Mr. Mackey got into a fight with Mr. Hat and Mr. Hat won! I really wish they could go back to that stuff.

I even agree with you about the look of South Park. It doesn't really bother me but it does seem all shiny and bright. I know Cartman's voice has changed but I still think it's funny when he gets mad and yells and cusses.

As for people saying the show needed to change with the times to stay on TV and keep people interested, I think I disagree. You see people on websites like Facebook, YouTube and this one and you see a lot of comments from longtime fans who think the show has gone downhill and some don't even want to watch it anymore. How does this change help the show? Even younger fans have a problem with the newer episodes.

They DO need to move back closer to how the show used to be and stop doing so many news stories and leaving out stuff like the bus stop scene and try to involve characters like Jimbo, Garrison, Terrance & Phillip and others more often. Maybe Matt and Trey are just simply running out of ideas and just can't consistently make great episodes anymore no matter how hard they try.

One more thing......Kenny needs to start dying again! At least kill him off about 7 times a season. It doesn't have to be every season. I love Kenny but his deaths are just too funny.
Man at Bar: Enjoying the show?
Randy: To be honest, I'm just here for the blowjob
Re: looking at merchandise almost brought a tear to my eye PostTue Oct 30, 2012 6:52 pm Offline
Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:03 pm596The Further
I like this season.
“The basis of all reasoning is the mind's awareness of itself. What we think, the external objects we perceive, are all like actors that come on and off stage. But our consciousness, the stage itself, is always present to us,” Trey Parker
Re: looking at merchandise almost brought a tear to my eye PostWed Oct 31, 2012 7:24 am Offline
Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:14 pm22
From this forum, it seems a lot of people kinda hate the show but still watch, then spend a lot of time complaining about it and thinking they could do better.
You could just stop watching...
I think the makers do a good job now of balancing satire with the surreal comedy they had in the earlier seasons. How long could the bad language stay funny before people would have gotten bored, stopped watching and then the show would have been cancelled.
I prefer most of the newer stuff to be honest. Season 2 & 3 were the worst for me
Re: looking at merchandise almost brought a tear to my eye PostWed Oct 31, 2012 7:26 am Offline
floela wrote:
From this forum, it seems a lot of people kinda hate the show but still watch, then spend a lot of time complaining about it and thinking they could do better.
You could just stop watching...
I think the makers do a good job now of balancing satire with the surreal comedy they had in the earlier seasons. How long could the bad language stay funny before people would have gotten bored, stopped watching and then the show would have been cancelled.
I prefer most of the newer stuff to be honest. Season 2 & 3 were the worst for me

That's almost like I think as well, new material is a lot better but I love every season :D You're also right about how peeps could stop their bitching and move on to other shows on tv.
“The basis of all reasoning is the mind's awareness of itself. What we think, the external objects we perceive, are all like actors that come on and off stage. But our consciousness, the stage itself, is always present to us,” Trey Parker
Re: looking at merchandise almost brought a tear to my eye PostWed Oct 31, 2012 10:51 am OfflineBoard Moderator
  • YIM
Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:57 am17369Hollywood, CA
Here's a rebuttal posted six days ago from someone on another mesage board:
Quote:
I just happened to see "Fun with Veal" on TV last night and you can tell how their writing skills have improved 400% since then. The whole "Fun with Veal" story is based on the fact that their parents and the whole South Park police force and FBI just can't seem to be able to figure our a way to get into Stan's room and take the veal back. The current episodes are such genius writing in so many levels.
My SP Fan Site.

Favorite Character: Chef (RIP, for reals this time)
Favorite Episode: Anyone with Butters in it.
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Re: looking at merchandise almost brought a tear to my eye PostWed Oct 31, 2012 12:36 pm Offline
Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:24 pm5686The Mormon Homeland
Speaking of classic merchandise, I'm wearing my Fingerbang boxer shorts today 8)
(doesn't that sound dirty?)

I've enjoyed watching the show evolve over the years. These days, it's more common for me to pump my fist and say "YES!" to something in the show than laugh so uncontrollably that I miss dialogue. But it's still a lot of fun to watch. You can't get this kind of stream-of-conscious writing anywhere else on TV. On every other scripted show, the episodes are rewritten and punched up and edited for months. With South Park it's "We're Trey Parker and Matt Stone and this is what we think is funny right now." Sometimes it hits, sometimes it misses, but it's always enjoyable.
You read it! You can't unread it!
Re: looking at merchandise almost brought a tear to my eye PostWed Oct 31, 2012 3:50 pm Offline
I don't know if the comment was directed at me or not but I am not complaining and bitching. The reason I still watch every new episode is because I still enjoy it and find it funny. I do get more disappointed than years before but there are still episodes that I can really like such as Insecurity and A Nightmare On Face Time.

I don't need to explain any of my comments, It is what it is. The show was funnier back then and more consistant. This is a thread about missing the good ol days and wanting it to return and there is nothing wrong with that. I have watched the WWE since the beginning of the Attitude Era which was my favorite era and I really miss it but I still watch the WWE and I never stopped watching. I still find things to enjoy while watching it. Same way with South Park.

Everyone I talk to in person or on websites think South Park has gone downhill because it has. I'm not saying the writing isn't that smart anymore but something isn't as good as it once was or else the old fans would still love the show.

I still love South Park though and I still think the show can get better. I never doubt a genius.

Look at how much they rely on Randy, Cartman and recent news stories to make new episodes.
Re: looking at merchandise almost brought a tear to my eye PostThu Nov 01, 2012 12:27 pm Offline
Randy's balls wrote:

Look at how much they rely on Randy, Cartman and recent news stories to make new episodes.

Hmm..
Re: looking at merchandise almost brought a tear to my eye PostThu Nov 01, 2012 1:27 pm OfflineBoard Moderator
  • YIM
Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:57 am17369Hollywood, CA
Randy's balls wrote:
Everyone I talk to in person or on websites think South Park has gone downhill because it has.

Circular reasoning. Do not pass go. Tell us WHY they think the show is in decline.
My SP Fan Site.

Favorite Character: Chef (RIP, for reals this time)
Favorite Episode: Anyone with Butters in it.
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Re: looking at merchandise almost brought a tear to my eye PostThu Nov 01, 2012 1:48 pm Offline
I didn't hear why. They just think it's going downhill. I don't exactly think the show is more poorly written than before but I don't laugh as much as before so that's all I need to know that I think it's going downhill. A big reason I watch animated shows like American Dad, Family Guy and South Park is to laugh. I can appreciate the more serious stuff once in a while though.

A lot of times the critic reviews for the new South Park episodes are either negative or they think it was an ok episode. It's not just the fans who think that way.
Re: looking at merchandise almost brought a tear to my eye PostFri Nov 02, 2012 11:29 am Offline
Randy's balls wrote:
A big reason I watch animated shows like American Dad, Family Guy and South Park is to laugh. I can appreciate the more serious stuff once in a while though.

That's all dandy for these said people. Some people, like myself, watch SP to receive and think about its core message. I'm fine with not having to laugh every time at any silly joke.

Sort by  
Page 1 of 1 14 posts