Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 1 of 1 6 posts
Can SP fans be biased? PostWed Mar 06, 2013 9:58 am Offline
Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:56 pm192In your hearts.
I was watching an episode from another show, where there's an R. Kelly case and it showed that the reason some of his fans defended him was not because they thought he was innocent of the charges - although they did - but because "he's good."

I think you guys know where to go from here.
Send me a PM. (Milo Vonnegut)

Milo Vonnegut, Milo Vonnegut 2, Online Milo, Milo Vonnegut 3, Keyblade, Tugennov Olim
Re: Can SP fans be biased? PostWed Mar 06, 2013 4:51 pm OfflineBoard Moderator
  • YIM
Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:57 am17368Hollywood, CA
Of course they can be biased.
My SP Fan Site.

Favorite Character: Chef (RIP, for reals this time)
Favorite Episode: Anyone with Butters in it.
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Re: Can SP fans be biased? PostWed Mar 06, 2013 9:36 pm Offline
Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:43 pm18777I was over nah, but now I'm over heah.
Short answer: yes.
Long answer: yes they can.
Re: Can SP fans be biased? PostFri Mar 08, 2013 1:49 pm Offline
Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:43 pm89
Yes. Definitely.

While I cannot speak on the behalf of each and every South Park fan out there, I've definitely had my own past biases (and sometimes even beyond that) surrounding the series.

The biggest example for me was regarding the Parker/Stone vs. Family Guy feud. I've always found Family Guy and Seth MacFarlane in general to be amazingly funny, yet I'd visit forums and ramble on and on about how South Park is a far superior work to anything MacFarlane had ever done, and how "Family Guy is s***" (even though I never honestly believed that), and how "Ted is a horribly unfunny and predictable movie" (even though I own the BluRay and thus don't believe that either), and so on. I would rather hypocritically state things which I do not believe with an astonishing level of false sincerity because I thought it was staying true to my role in South Park fandom. In reality, it kind of did the opposite.

For me, it wasn't simply about putting other things down though, whether those things be Family Guy, or anything else previously spoofed on the show. I can form my own opinions on things, and there are definitely things in the show I do dislike or disagree with. For example, I absolutely detest cigarette smoke, and though I could see the humour and the underlying Libertarian theme (an individual taking responsibility for their own actions, as opposed to placing the blame on others), I ultimately wound up disliking the episode about Rob Reiner and the tobacco conglomerates. I also really don't want to see Alex Lifeson from Rush shoot himself in the head, as he did in "Royal Pudding", though I understand how that one was all in good fun.

The bottom line is that the reason, I personally, ever expressed bias regarding this show, is that I myself truly believed that it was the greatest television series out there. I still do believe that, especially given the plethora of phony reality series and other rubbish out there, but I just happen to keep things in perspective these days. That is, I now realize it may be an amazing TV series, but it's only that - a TV series, and looking at things in that manner, only then can I personally start to appreciate other series that are out there as well.

tl;dr -
BRMBug wrote:
Long answer: yes they can.
:lol:
Re: Can SP fans be biased? PostMon Mar 11, 2013 5:43 pm Offline
Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:24 pm5686The Mormon Homeland
I think there was a lot of that ^ going on back in the days of Cartoon Wars.

For me, an example of that is probably Michael Bay. In this case though, it was movies and types of movies that I was into when I was like 12 or 13; explosions, chases and shootouts, but it's still PG-13 so I can go see it with just my friends. My tastes in movies was maturing in the same time frame as the guys and SP were starting to point out how terrible all these movies are; cheesy stories, massive plot holes, just terrible characters, stories that contain errors so stupid, they're not even wrong. It all coalesced to turn me off of those kinds of movies and I found myself super biased against anything with the name "Bay" in it.

Now I only watch those movies out of some morbid, hipster-esque curiosity so I can mock them during commercials of something good while it plays on FX for the 28th time this month. When I do, I can't help but feel like I'm conforming to some standard set by the guys at South Park. A person could accuse me of hating on a Michael Bay movie just because South Park told me to and I don't have a strong defense.

It's interesting because if those Transformers movies had come out while I was in middle school, I would've ate that shit up. I was way into movies like Independence Day back then, and that's the same kind of crap. While I openly mock that flick today, it's still a little bit endearing to me, because it was like my favorite movie at one time.
You read it! You can't unread it!
Re: Can SP fans be biased? PostTue Mar 26, 2013 9:12 am Offline
Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:56 pm192In your hearts.
Well, that's all I really need to know.
Send me a PM. (Milo Vonnegut)

Milo Vonnegut, Milo Vonnegut 2, Online Milo, Milo Vonnegut 3, Keyblade, Tugennov Olim

Sort by  
Page 1 of 1 6 posts