Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 1 of 1 12 posts
New vs. Old Seasons PostFri Dec 06, 2013 5:11 pm Offline
Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:28 pm4
Just a s a fun topic started, I wanted to ask everyone their opinions. Which did/do you prefer more? The human and plots of the older or newer seasons? Why?

Let's have fun with this!

So far, my wife and I agree that we love all of South Park, but the new seasons (especially the last 5) have been our favorites due to the character development each of our boys have been put through. The mainstream media and political humor is just told with more experience and is very enjoyable, but it is the subtle (or sometimes not so subtle) work on the kids that really makes us happy. Stan dealing with his growing frustrations with the world and his family, watching people change as the grow older, Kenny finally exploring his origins and expressing his issues with being ignored by everyone, and as always, Cartman's constant struggle to maintain a balance of innocence and corruption.
I really liked seeing Kenny's family more in depth and meeting his little sister and seeing how (despite the drugs and sex and what not) that he still tries to be a good guy.
If it all sounds really suedo or whatever, I apologize. I'm just trying to say we really love the character plots that have been pumped out these last few seasons. The kinds dealing with crap have always been a point in the show, but it's fun to watch how the last 10+ seasons have changes each of the boys. :)
Also, I love all the fan-service. I shamelessly confess to loving all the fan-service. I believe the guys are aware of what they're writing (always have been) and are now very aware of their fan-community. I love all the pairing jokes/gags and queer-baiting.

More importantly, I really love the new animation style the guys have been using. (Not new, but not the same cutout animation.) I really like how clean everything looks.

---
Now, I had a friend who said she doesn't get the jokes in the newer seasons and that's been killing it for her. But she admits she is REALLY behind on what is going on in the world. Things like the iPede and all the Obama jokes go right over her head, so the ride is a little dull.

These are the kinds of things I'm curious about. WHAT is your opinion and WHY.

I look forward to hearing back from you guys!
Re: New vs. Old Seasons PostSun Dec 08, 2013 11:06 pm Offline
Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:00 pm937
I think I'm with you, I enjoy the newer seasons quite a bit. It's not that all my favorite episodes are in the newer seasons (though quite a few of them are, quite a few are in the middle seasons as well) it's more that I think it's gotten more consistently good. Most seasons have an episode in them that I do not care for at all, but I'll happily watch seasons 12, 13, and 14 all the way through.

I tend to think a lot of the jokes are funny even if I don't know exactly what's being referenced. (I actually put together a list of all the references I could a few years ago, and was amazed at how many there were.) Just as an example: Wendy beating Cartman down was highly entertaining, even though I didn't know the fight scene music was from Snatch and Wendy's last line was from There Will Be Blood. I thought the anti-bullying music video in Butterballs was entertaining, having never seen the videos it directly parodied, or the Bully movie. So, I guess I can somewhat see how being behind on current events might sap some of the life out, but I don't think it always has to.

A lot of people disagree with me. Every day I see complaints that South Park isn't what it used to be. But I enjoy a lot of the aspects of the show, and I like that it's evolved. Despite some other opinions, I think it's managed to stay very fresh for nearly two decades, and it couldn't do that if it never evolved.
To believe in something just because you're afraid of the consequences if you don't believe in something is no reason to believe in something.
Re: New vs. Old Seasons PostMon Dec 09, 2013 4:14 pm Offline
NeuroHeart wrote:
I think I'm with you, I enjoy the newer seasons quite a bit. It's not that all my favorite episodes are in the newer seasons (though quite a few of them are, quite a few are in the middle seasons as well) it's more that I think it's gotten more consistently good. Most seasons have an episode in them that I do not care for at all, but I'll happily watch seasons 12, 13, and 14 all the way through.

I tend to think a lot of the jokes are funny even if I don't know exactly what's being referenced. (I actually put together a list of all the references I could a few years ago, and was amazed at how many there were.) Just as an example: Wendy beating Cartman down was highly entertaining, even though I didn't know the fight scene music was from Snatch and Wendy's last line was from There Will Be Blood. I thought the anti-bullying music video in Butterballs was entertaining, having never seen the videos it directly parodied, or the Bully movie. So, I guess I can somewhat see how being behind on current events might sap some of the life out, but I don't think it always has to.

A lot of people disagree with me. Every day I see complaints that South Park isn't what it used to be. But I enjoy a lot of the aspects of the show, and I like that it's evolved. Despite some other opinions, I think it's managed to stay very fresh for nearly two decades, and it couldn't do that if it never evolved.

I totally agree. I find most of the jokes funny, even when I don't pick up on the references. I find it incredible that the teams are able to put together so many reference based jokes from so many different things. (I've always wondered about the actual process for that.)

I've noticed a lot of people liked it better before, which is one of the reasons I started this topic. I'm very curious to see who responds and what they think.

Thanks so much for leaving your opinion. I love hearing what other people thing.
Re: New vs. Old Seasons PostSun Dec 29, 2013 4:37 pm Offline
Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:53 pm87
I like old better.
the kenny running gag was good
scott tenorman must die counts as an old one
chef was there
the animation may be weird but its still a lot better to me
little or no controversy

Alright, here's the main thing im talking about:
Spongebob first aired in 1999 but it went downhill in 2007
Lots of other shows that run for that long get old between 2006-2008.
I watched some of Smug Alert, the second episode that counts as "new" to me, and i thought it was stupid. I also saw the Coon trilogy. That was better though, but it is still inferior to season 1-9 to me.

The only exception i can think of is "Are You There God? It's Me, Jesus"
Man, that episode was weird. It was also disgusting to me.

but still i like old ones more
Favorite Character(s): Kyle and Kenny
Favorite Episode: Scott Tenorman Must Die
Favorite Season(s): 1, 2, 3, and 8
First Episode Seen: Summer Sucks (officially)
Re: New vs. Old Seasons PostTue Dec 31, 2013 8:28 am Offline
bigstupidflyingfish wrote:
I like old better.
the kenny running gag was good
scott tenorman must die counts as an old one
chef was there
the animation may be weird but its still a lot better to me
little or no controversy

Alright, here's the main thing im talking about:
Spongebob first aired in 1999 but it went downhill in 2007
Lots of other shows that run for that long get old between 2006-2008.
I watched some of Smug Alert, the second episode that counts as "new" to me, and i thought it was stupid. I also saw the Coon trilogy. That was better though, but it is still inferior to season 1-9 to me.

The only exception i can think of is "Are You There God? It's Me, Jesus"
Man, that episode was weird. It was also disgusting to me.

but still i like old ones more

That makes sense. Everyone has a different area where they cut the "new" from the "old", but it was the older episodes that really made the show (literally) and there are some real gems. Even now, I like to go back and re-watch episodes and even whole seasons between 1-6.

I still like how the old seasons morphed into the new ones and how the new ones are playing out, but I really appreciate that you took the time to write you opinion. There is a lot to enjoy in South Park. :)

Good post!
Re: New vs. Old Seasons PostTue Dec 31, 2013 1:11 pm Offline
Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:24 pm5686The Mormon Homeland
For me, the show breaks down into three eras:
Old School (the first 3 seasons)
The Golden Age (seasons 4 thru 8 )
The Modern Age (everything since season 9)

In the Old School, the show was still finding its way, establishing characters, figuring out what kind of stories work and such. Lots of fart jokes and the novelty of a cartoon with bleeps was still fresh. The guys were brand new to television and developing their own style. They're the episodes us old timers have seen too many times to count and pretty much know by heart.

The Golden Age for me is marked by a sharp uptick in the amount of crazy and a slight refinement in the crude humor. It got grosser, but more focused in its grossness. In this era, it was open season to introduce new characters like Timmy or City Wok Guy or take a background character and suddenly turn him into a star like Butters and Randy. For me at least, nearly everything they did landed. There was a good amount of respect for canon that rewarded us more hardcore fans. The show focused a lot on Cartman because he was genuinely the funniest character. He was a mean little prick, but there was an innocence to his psychosis.

The Modern Age for me is a lot about varied expectation. With a mature show, developed characters and 8 seasons of canon, it becomes more difficult to crush it every week. The show became hit or miss. The hits have been outstanding. The misses have been just as spectacular, however. Some of the character dynamics that caused me to love the Golden Age grew old. Butters and Fatass still works, but any time post-Passion of the Jew that Cartman gives Kyle shit about Jew stuff isn't as funny anymore. Instead of a funny dick, Fatass just looks like a dick.

As a result, I began to root against Eric Cartman rather than for him. Now when he's correct about something, it makes me angry. When he was right about Token being able to play bass because he's black back in season 7, it was hilarious. When he was right about Kyle keeping a bag of Jew gold around his neck two years later, that pissed me off.

I think it's been Cartman that has caused this transition into the Modern Era. Now he just pulls guns on people and manipulates adults way too easily. I actively root for him to fail. It affects my enjoyment of episodes.

Having said all that, there are still some stupendous episodes coming out all through this era, including ones with Fatass. Crack Baby Athletic Association is in my personal hall of fame. They are just mixed in with a bunch of so-so episodes. While that is kind of a slam, it's important to remember that the bar is really goddamn high for a great episode of South Park. The longer the show lasts, the harder it is for one to rise above the rest. That pretty much sums up my view of the show right there in that last sentence.
You read it! You can't unread it!
Re: New vs. Old Seasons PostTue Dec 31, 2013 2:26 pm Offline
triplemultiplex wrote:

In the Old School, the show was still finding its way, establishing characters, figuring out what kind of stories work and such. Lots of fart jokes and the novelty of a cartoon with bleeps was still fresh. The guys were brand new to television and developing their own style. They're the episodes us old timers have seen too many times to count and pretty much know by heart.

The Golden Age for me is marked by a sharp uptick in the amount of crazy and a slight refinement in the crude humor. It got grosser, but more focused in its grossness. In this era, it was open season to introduce new characters like Timmy or City Wok Guy or take a background character and suddenly turn him into a star like Butters and Randy. For me at least, nearly everything they did landed. There was a good amount of respect for canon that rewarded us more hardcore fans. The show focused a lot on Cartman because he was genuinely the funniest character. He was a mean little prick, but there was an innocence to his psychosis.

The Modern Age for me is a lot about varied expectation. With a mature show, developed characters and 8 seasons of canon, it becomes more difficult to crush it every week. The show became hit or miss. The hits have been outstanding. The misses have been just as spectacular, however. Some of the character dynamics that caused me to love the Golden Age grew old. Butters and Fatass still works, but any time post-Passion of the Jew that Cartman gives Kyle shit about Jew stuff isn't as funny anymore. Instead of a funny dick, Fatass just looks like a dick.

As a result, I began to root against Eric Cartman rather than for him. Now when he's correct about something, it makes me angry. When he was right about Token being able to play bass because he's black back in season 7, it was hilarious. When he was right about Kyle keeping a bag of Jew gold around his neck two years later, that pissed me off.

I think it's been Cartman that has caused this transition into the Modern Era. Now he just pulls guns on people and manipulates adults way too easily. I actively root for him to fail. It affects my enjoyment of episodes.

Having said all that, there are still some stupendous episodes coming out all through this era, including ones with Fatass. Crack Baby Athletic Association is in my personal hall of fame. They are just mixed in with a bunch of so-so episodes. While that is kind of a slam, it's important to remember that the bar is really goddamn high for a great episode of South Park. The longer the show lasts, the harder it is for one to rise above the rest. That pretty much sums up my view of the show right there in that last sentence.

Wow! What a wonderful comment back!
You're points on Cartman as a lead turning point makes a lot of sense in breaking apart the "eras". I think that way too, though I believe that all the characters have shifted (especially the main 4) in the same kind of way. Eric, though, has been at the forefront of the show since the get-go and has always been a powerful focal point.

I think that is made stronger (passed just his own personality) by his connections with the other boys. PRIMARILY Kyle and Kenny (And Butters too during many of his primary episodes.) Cartman is the antogonist almost constantly, OR he is the cranky butt-hurt protagonist that everyone doubts because of his reign of terror.

My wife and I found that Cartman's earlier years showed him to be a real jerk, but still a kid. He wasn't cold hearted, just a 'hurt' kid with ideas bigger and usually darker than him. Kind of "disturbed" but not in a dangerous way.

This made him picking on Kenny for being poor and picking on Kyle for being a Jew kind of... harmless and fun? These makes him that kind of jerky friend everyone can relate too who is kind of funny and fun to pick on because he's always a jerk to you first. It's almost nostalgic. SURE, he causes plenty of issues for the gang... but he usually got what was coming to him and ended up crying to his mommy. He was still so child-like in his underdeveloped-psychotic ways.

But there are a few places in your "Golden Era" where Cartman starts to snap. When things go too far and it almost seems like he starts to get a taste of how messed up things really are. He starts to actually kill people and his jokes become more gruesome and dramatic. It's still innocent enough, like it's all still just a game to him, but he starts to do things that push the audience off to the edge of their seats-like "Oh no he didn't!"

This is also where is starts to really become more... heartless? The episodes are heavily focused on Cartman hating other races and cultures, religion, his friends, his mother, or himself. He starts to become more 'adult-selfish' and fully manipulative.
We have the introduction of Butters which doesn't help anything either. Cartmas takes advantage of Kenny and Butters and begins tormenting Kyle in more developed and "possibly-offensive" ways too.

That sort of lead into the last arch where now Cartman has become the sort of "around-the-clock-antagonist". He turns his back on his friends and tries to help a demon-king destroy the world and throws his friends into a monster-infested dimension to die, he treats Kenny and Karen like total crap and ignores the pain of others (including a dying child) and mocks real problems openly, and he personally effects things on a global scale usually just to be a dick or make some profit or do something for personal game. He's going through a 'hard-spot' in his life and I think it just puts him in the place he is at.

This of course lifts other characters to the protagonist zone! Kenny and Kyle are now Cartman's good-friend counterparts. Kenny as Mysterion and Princess Kenny and Kyle as himself: the good/smart kid. (Wendy occasionally has a small scene in this role, but she rarely fully combats Eric directly anymore.)

I think this is really why my wife and I prefer the new ones. We love seeing how Stan has had to suffer with his difficult life/family and has become the forth wheel of the group and we can't wait to see how he breaks out next time. We enjoy Kenny's plot development, learning about his history, and seeing how he's slowly becoming a hero-type. He has a little sister to protect, he has a family he still wants to save, and he has his friend (including Eric) who he loves and wants to help. Then there's Kyle, who's going through things constantly with Ike growing up, Cartman getting meaner, Stan constantly shifting as he matures, and his families plainness. Butters is still trying to just figure out what the heck is going on day to day and the day he figured is out, we'll be there to watch! -and of course, Cartman himself. He's struggling with a ton, like the others, and it is wonderful to watch as he develops.

I predict that we'll start to see the more sympathetic (thought probably still destructive) side of Eric again in the coming seasons if the writers continue like they have been. I hope we'll continue to see all of them keep growing as individuals. Its really interesting and we personally like it and wonder how much of it is a conscious effort for M+T+crew and how much is just happening.

You're definitely right about the hit or miss thing. But I think that the show is hitting enough for me to love it and I think the misses are fine enough that I can wait for the really good ones. You're right, as any show goes on, it's harder to hit often. Hopefully, the teams won't give up anytime soon.

I love this show. <3

Thanks for commenting! You're opinions and views really inspired me.
Re: New vs. Old Seasons PostTue Dec 31, 2013 10:20 pm Offline
Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:43 pm18789I was over nah, but now I'm over heah.
Okay, TL;DR for the moment. I will say that the earlier seasons had more "Hit" episodes with me than the newer ones. But the newer ones are still quite solid.
Re: New vs. Old Seasons PostThu Jan 02, 2014 1:56 pm Offline
Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:35 am22derbyshire England
to be honest the older ones were better for me i liked how the animation was paper-like and the oh my god they killed kenny thing.cartman seemed less jerk-like and kenny was actually a main character.the golden age was great and when towelie first came in was some of my fave eps.the newer ones were super too like follow that egg and cartman finds love.they were all super awesome to me but the older ones were the best s i wont stop watching south park because it is my favorite tv show ever i have watched it for seven years and im kinda attached :D
favorite ep:all of them
favorite character:Kyle i think
favorite colour:rainbow....
favorite animal:doggy
first episode watched:cripple fight
Re: New vs. Old Seasons PostMon Jan 27, 2014 12:33 am Offline
Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:08 pm13
triplemultiplex wrote:

I honestly couldn't break this up and analyze it because it would just be "Yes," Yes," "Yes," "Yes." This, to me, is the most accurate and in-depth macro fan analysis I've seen of the show. I always hear about the new seasons being completely sh*tty and that they should stop the show all together but your post has pegged the eras spot on. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you're great and right.
Re: New vs. Old Seasons PostTue Jan 28, 2014 11:49 am Offline
Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:53 pm87
Ok, actually i don't know which is better. so I think i should split up the series for me so far
Season 1: Classic Season I
Season 2: Season of Greatness I
Season 3: Classic Season II
Season 4: Classic Season III (remember 4th Grade and Trapper Keeper?
Season 5: Average Season I (there are plenty of good episodes but then there's Kenny Dies)
Season 6: Classic Season IV (BUTTEEEEEERRRRS!)
Season 7: Average Season II
Season 8: Season of Greatness II
Season 9: Classic Season V
Season 10: Average Season III
Season 11: ? (the only season 11 episode i saw was The Snuke)
Season 12: Classic Season VI (Major Boobage+Canada on Strike+Breast Cancer Show Ever)
Season 13-15: modern age of episodes i havent seen
Season 16: haven't seen enough episodes (only Jewpacabra, Butterballs, I Should Have Never Gone Ziplining, and A Nightmare on FaceTime)
Favorite Character(s): Kyle and Kenny
Favorite Episode: Scott Tenorman Must Die
Favorite Season(s): 1, 2, 3, and 8
First Episode Seen: Summer Sucks (officially)
Last edited by bigstupidflyingfish on Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: New vs. Old Seasons PostFri Jan 31, 2014 8:34 am Offline
Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:16 am13
I usually split South Park into three eras:

Early years:
Season 1 - season 3
Matt and Trey didn't really know what they were doing. Still, there are some hilarious moments here, especially in seasons one and three. In the second half of season three, after the South Park movie had come out, several shows were truly great.

Golden era:
Season 4 - season 11
A lot of fans wouldn't have included season 11 I guess, but I think it's as good as any of the older seasons. The point is, almost every episode from these years are great shows.

Hit or miss era:
Season 12 -
Again, many fans would probably include season 12 as part of the golden era. I don't think it's nearly as good as previous seasons. South Park still produce amazing episodes on a regular basis (for example You're Getting Old and the Black Friday trilogy), but there's a fair share of stinkers as well.

I still watch the show because when it is good, it is so insanely good that it makes up for the bad ones.

Sort by  
Page 1 of 1 12 posts