Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 1 of 1 8 posts
Loud Ads PostTue Oct 26, 2010 10:55 pm Offline
Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:41 am3
I don't mind watching ads, but the current ad for the Jackass 3D movie is seriously loud (I'm watching from Sweden, so I don't know if this applies elsewhere. But I'd bet the ads are not only loud here)

Why must the volume be so loud for the ads? When the ad starts I have to pull the volume down almost completely in the player.
Re: Loud Ads PostTue Oct 26, 2010 11:42 pm Offline
Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:20 pm5070
There are technical reasons that I am not that conversant in, and I won't even try to explain that side of it. But louder commercials do get your attention as you may walk away from the show during the commercials so you can here them.

The layman's answer I have always heard of course is that commercials are always louder. In the progress bar of the South Park Studios Episode Player, there are marks on the progress bar indicating where the commercials are. Just prepare yourself as the progress bar approaches a commercial break.

And yes, the louder commercials are louder in every country, not just in Sweden.
Re: Loud Ads PostWed Oct 27, 2010 12:53 am Offline
Just being loud doesn't mean that the ad/commercial will get anyones attention, or even if they get their attention it doesn't mean that the attention will be lasting. It doesn't help that the ads that are considerably louder than most also tend to be obnoxious in and of themselves.

Quote:
But louder commercials do get your attention as you may walk away from the show during the commercials so you can here them.

I can sort of understand this argument, if we were talking about television (although imo it's just as annoying there), but were talking about streamed content on the internet. First, the ad runs for less than twenty seconds, so walking away during that time would be pretty pointless (unless you have to, in which case you probably won't care about the ad anyway). Second, this is streamed content. If I want to walk away, or take a break I can just pause the stream. So making the ads louder because of that is pointless.

Actually, if an ad annoys me I usually tend to avoid whatever product it is they're pushing. Although to be fair, in this particular issue, I lost interest in Jackass several years ago. So an annoying ad can have an adverse effect on the would-be consumer. Now this is pure speculation from my own point of view, and I'm far from a professional marketing analyst, but I do believe that a fair number of people find it just as obnoxious as I do.

I don't know how much control South Park Studios have over the content of the ads, but I wanted to voice my opinion on it. When the site got available here in Scandinavia I was pretty happy, because I do enjoy the show and would rather support the show by watching from an official outlet. However, if all the ads are going to be this loud it'll be extremely off-putting.

I'm glad South Park found it's way to the net legally, embracing the possibilities of streaming online content. I know that ads are necessary, most people do. But that doesn't mean that they have to be the same as they are for television.
Re: Loud Ads PostWed Oct 27, 2010 8:41 am Offline
Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:43 pm18787I was over nah, but now I'm over heah.
Use Firefox. Get Adblock Plus. No more loud commercials. The end.
Re: Loud Ads PostWed Oct 27, 2010 11:10 am Offline
I don't use Firefox. They screwed up big time with v.3. Its flash support is a joke and it takes up an unnecessary amount of memory and cpu usage.

I did, however, find a plugin for Chrome that uses the same filter as AdBlock plus. But it is not a proper solution, it is merely skirting the issue.

I'm not a 100% sure about this but blocking ads is not a good way of dealing with this kind of issue because when you block ads from a site you stop providing revenue from said ads, and if 'everyone' started blocking ads the site would not gain revenue from any ads, and it would hurt the site.

Now, South Park is not a small show, they have tv-airings, merch, and dvd's to get money from. But to say that taking away the ad revenue wouldn't hurt would be foolish. It's most likely a not too small part of keeping the site running, since actually creating the content and marketing it costs a pretty penny. Not to mention server and bandwidth costs.

Blocking ads is a good thing when dealing with ads that may be potentially dangerous, and I would urge anyone to adblock untrusted sites. But that is a different issue.

The ads are there for a reason, and by blocking them you might as well just download the episodes to your harddrive instead.
Re: Loud Ads PostWed Oct 27, 2010 2:42 pm Offline
Well, you say the Jackass commercial is particularly loud, but you don't mind commercials and understand that advertising is what helps give us this site for free. You say you don't use Firefox and you give your reasons.

How about trying Safari as your browser under the circumstances? Safari, made by Apple/Macintosh, is designed for BOTH Windows and Apple systems. I use Safari, and I don't have the loud problems with commercials. Have you tried Safari? Perhaps you can try it, and if you like it you can use it full time as your regular browser. Or, just use it while watching South Park episodes on the South Park Studios Episode Player.

We know you are asking about load commercials, particularly the Jackass commercial; and that you don't mind the commercials, and that commercials help pay for the site. My suggestion to you is to see if the Safari Browser helps. You can read about it and download it [url=http://www.apple.com/safari/download/]here.[/ulr]

No matter what you do, good luck, luzeke from Sweden, and welcome to the board :)
Re: Loud Ads PostWed Oct 27, 2010 2:46 pm Offline
Being unable to link a URL in the above post because we are in the feedback forum, I will post the link to get Safari again here in this post. Note that by default the page assumes you have the Apple operating system installed on your computer. But if you look at the left hand part of the page, you will see something like: "Get Windows Version" or something like that. Good luck if you decide to use Safari:

http://www.apple.com/safari/download/

By the way, if the above link is not a link in this forum, just copy and paste it into your current browser's URL field.
Re: Loud Ads PostWed Oct 27, 2010 2:48 pm Offline
luzeke, I wrote: ulr intead of url in the post two above; that was the problem :oops:

I'll repeat that sentence again with "url" spelled correctly without the typo of "ulr":

You can read about it and download it here.

Sort by  
Page 1 of 1 8 posts