Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Page 1 of 2 28 posts 1, 2  Next
New Annoying Pop Up Ads on SPS which started on 6/30/2011 PostThu Jun 30, 2011 8:55 pm Offline
Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:20 pm5070
This forum, FEEDBACK, says on the Board Index Page: "This is the feedback forum. Please use it to leave comments about features or anything else you would like seen added to Southparkstudios.com"

I would like to see these new ads that started today go away. I should have suspected that something was going to happen on this site. Earlier today, in the site bug thread re: My 15 signatures, I happened to be on when BearyBear was. I am assuming he was at work today changing the BBS. My deductions:

This evening, I did not want to log in; just as a "guest" I wanted to check a few threads and then go on to other things tonight. Instead, SPS faded to black, and ads started, with a countdown clock saying: 15 seconds to resume or something like that.

Okay, an ad. Big deal. This site needs to be funded. I get it. But every time I clicked on another thread or another page of a thread, ads came up blocking my view. This is the worst SPAM I've ever seen on any site!

We have a thread: Attack Of The Damn Spamming Spammers. Anything we have posted in there is tame compared to what is officially sanctioned on SPS now :(

Even now, there is an ad covering up the top 1/2 of my computer screen as i am composing this post.

It is more than annoying; it is intolerable. Every time I go to the next or previous page of a thread; or if I want to go to another thread - the screen blacks out and an ad appears. Good luck finding the "x" to stop the ad; usually new windows open up with more info on the ad. That window has to be closed, and even if I can clear the screen and see good 'ol SPS, as I'm browsing the screen blacks out again, and it is impossible to read posts or compose posts.

So tried something else: I logged in, hoping that might stop the ads. It made no difference.

Is this the future of all sites on the internet? The powers that be got us hooked on living with the internet, only to do this now? I remember when this site had ads on the bottom of the screen; meebo was near the part to "hide" that ad. I saw the exact same ad with meebo on the CNN site. One can only assume that what's happening to us now on SPS will be the norm on most sites soon.

Well until this ad problem that started today, Thursday June 30, 2011 stops immediately, it will be rare for zzyzx 1 to post here anymore. I can't navigate this site only to have to stop whatever I am doing to try to find the "x" to click on to stop an ad; only to have another ad start up within seconds.

Even this post: I can't re-read it to edit it and proof read it properly. Here, look at what I'm looking at while I'm typing this post:

https://img.skitch.com/20110701-n3uu1ey ... wm6f1j.jpg

15 seconds for one ad; then the screen clears up; then another 15 second ad; 4 of these is one minute wasted. I waste enough time on SPS as a regular user; I don't have these extra minutes to waste. Plus, I lose my train of thought when suddenly as ad pops up, moments after I just somehow closed a previous ad.

To the powers that be: Please reverse you position on thinking adding these kinds of ads is a good thing for SPS.

Signed, a potential user who may leave SPS because of the difficulty in navigating the site.

zzyzx 1 formerly zzyzx a/k/a ZZ

Forget the site bug that "moods" can be selected in the avys but they don't post; get rid of the ads that make navigating this site intolerable.
Re: New Annoying Pop Up Ads on SPS which started on 6/30/201 PostThu Jun 30, 2011 9:23 pm Offline
As I guessed, there are typos and other proof reading problems with the above post I made; plus this forum does not allow edits.

I post again to say that while I started this post, the screen went to black and an ad started. I found "click to close" and here I am. For now.

The bottom line: Navigating this site is now difficult. I hope our board moderator, Big-Will, can scan the board as usual with having to deal with these ads; that is, I hope BearyBear put some kind of an exemption on his account; otherwise I can see him reading a thread only to have an ad interrupt his reading :(

I'm sure I'm not the only one experiencing this. I'll end this post now saying that if I continue having trouble navigating this site, it's been nice knowing you all and hope to see you around the internet someplace. Try the CHAT link in my sig; you might find me there :D
Re: New Annoying Pop Up Ads on SPS which started on 6/30/201 PostThu Jun 30, 2011 9:33 pm Offline
Mon May 30, 2011 8:22 pm175in a small dark egg carton
i have only seen one all day :?: :?
however i have a standard pop-up blocker installed.

Also I think I speak for everyone hear by saying please dont leave us ZZ :cry:
Ahhhhh hamburgerss!
Re: New Annoying Pop Up Ads on SPS which started on 6/30/201 PostThu Jun 30, 2011 11:07 pm OfflineBoard Moderator
  • YIM
Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:57 am17368Hollywood, CA
Ad-block Plus. Get it, install it, problem gone.

And I'm sad that this happened on my birthday.
My SP Fan Site.

Favorite Character: Chef (RIP, for reals this time)
Favorite Episode: Anyone with Butters in it.
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Re: New Annoying Pop Up Ads on SPS which started on 6/30/201 PostFri Jul 01, 2011 12:35 am Offline
Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:43 pm18783I was over nah, but now I'm over heah.
I haven't seen anything like that today. There was a double "Visit San Antonio" ad that I had to block... At least I think it was on this site. It was this afternoon, and I've been all over the internets since then.
Re: New Annoying Pop Up Ads on SPS which started on 6/30/201 PostFri Jul 01, 2011 12:36 am Offline
Hey, are you still using Safari?
Re: New Annoying Pop Up Ads on SPS which started on 6/30/201 PostFri Jul 01, 2011 12:39 am Offline
Big-Will wrote:
Ad-block Plus. Get it, install it, problem gone.

I use Safari with "block pop up ads" checked. As you know from my above posts, it didn't work today. Thanks, Will :D. I will get Ad-Block Plus :D

Happy Birthday, Will! Many returns of the day. For your birthday I will heed your advice: "Ad-block Plus. Get it, install it, problem gone."

By the way, I am on my iPod Touch 4th generation right now. I see NO ads! Maybe this is Adobe Flash related? Apple won't let flash work on iPods, iPhones, and iPads. And I have yet to see any ad on the iPod ever! Including now :)

Thanks for your help, suggestions, and Happy Birthday :D
Re: New Annoying Pop Up Ads on SPS which started on 6/30/201 PostFri Jul 01, 2011 12:41 am OfflineBoard Moderator
  • YIM
I'm on IE9 now, and it has a nice little feature that stops scripts from cross-sire promotion, so I haven't seen the TF3 ad that's eating up screen space. And I haven't seen an ad like that in five years or so.
My SP Fan Site.

Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Re: New Annoying Pop Up Ads on SPS which started on 6/30/201 PostFri Jul 01, 2011 12:46 am Offline
Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:34 pm169Oh God it's the Sayans!!
This place is boy infested... :l I'm like the only girl... Wow... --- KyBe.
I'm Courtney. - Kyle and Bebe Forever!! (: SUPER 9,000!!!!! Ahhhhh!!!!!!!!
Re: New Annoying Pop Up Ads on SPS which started on 6/30/201 PostFri Jul 01, 2011 12:49 am Offline
BRMBug wrote:
Hey, are you still using Safari?

Yes, with "Block Pop Up Ads" checked. I was typing (slowly) on my iPod keyboard during your two posts, Bug, btw :)

Big-Will wrote:
I'm on IE9 now, and it has a nice little feature that stops scripts from cross-sire promotion, so I haven't seen the TF3 ad that's eating up screen space. And I haven't seen an ad like that in five years or so.

It was just so frustrating today when my screen space vanished :(. And the when the ad was over, another one started right away taking away mire screen space and having no off button to click on to get rid of the ad. I'll post again after I'm off this iPod and have ad blocker plus installed.

Thanks for trouble shooting this with IE9. I appreciate it :)
Re: New Annoying Pop Up Ads on SPS which started on 6/30/201 PostFri Jul 01, 2011 12:49 am OfflineBoard Moderator
  • YIM
HidanXKyBeXOXO wrote:

Check out Samathou, Moondragon69 and Pip Tweek - three other females on this board. :)
My SP Fan Site.

Re: New Annoying Pop Up Ads on SPS which started on 6/30/201 PostFri Jul 01, 2011 12:50 am Offline
Will, have you been having any issues with Firefox? It's been locking up on me quite a bit lately. Although knowing the scuzzy sites I visit I probably picked up e-AIDS from somewhere, and Norton just didn't catch it.

[quote="Big-Will"
And I'm sad that this happened on my birthday.[/quote]
...Ya drunk yet? Image
Re: New Annoying Pop Up Ads on SPS which started on 6/30/201 PostFri Jul 01, 2011 12:51 am Offline
HidanXKyBeXOXO wrote:

The girls are usually on much earlier in the day.
Re: New Annoying Pop Up Ads on SPS which started on 6/30/201 PostFri Jul 01, 2011 12:52 am OfflineBoard Moderator
  • YIM
BRMBug wrote:
Will, have you been having any issues with Firefox? It's been locking up on me quite a bit lately. Although knowing the scuzzy sites I visit I probably picked up e-AIDS from somewhere, and Norton just didn't catch it.

Big-Will wrote:

...Ya drunk yet?

I've upgraded to FF5, which disabled some of my incompatible add-ons, but I haven't put it on the field yet.

Not drunk, though I did drink some Smirnoff Ice, Green Apple Bite flavor
My SP Fan Site.

Re: New Annoying Pop Up Ads on SPS which started on 6/30/201 PostFri Jul 01, 2011 12:57 am Offline
Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:34 pm169Oh God it's the Sayans!!
I'm brand new, outta' the package. --- I know nobody here. And why aren't you people sleeping? --- All I know is that there is a boy-infestation right now. --- -.-" ---Kybe
I'm Courtney. - Kyle and Bebe Forever!! (: SUPER 9,000!!!!! Ahhhhh!!!!!!!!

Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Page 1 of 2 28 posts 1, 2  Next