Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 47 of 50 749 posts Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50  Next
Re: NBA, NFL who do u go for, etc anything about the sports PostSat Jun 09, 2012 11:08 pm Offline
Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:52 pm8921Shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque...
It's a good thing I don't watch a lot of NBA. The Finals are set, and I don't know who I want to see lose it more.

One one hand, there's the Miami Heat, who have Lebron James, one of the most hated guys in the league.

On the other, there's the Oklahoma City Thunder. And it's not so much the players on the team as it is their owner. Clay Bennett (spit!) is the guy responsible for blackmailing Seattle into losing their SuperSonics in the move to OKC.
Re: NBA, NFL who do u go for, etc anything about the sports PostMon Jun 11, 2012 9:23 pm Offline
Congrats to the LA Kings for winning their first-ever Stanley Cup!
Re: NBA, NFL who do u go for, etc anything about the sports PostTue Jul 17, 2012 11:59 am Offline
Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:24 pm5686The Mormon Homeland
Anyone care about the Olympics?

I usually find it difficult to muster tons of interest for sports I have to be reminded exist every four years. I guess it was kind of fun dick-riding Michael Phelps during Beijing with the rest of America. And it can be entertaining to watch NBA players dunk on little twerps from the Republic of Nobody-Cares.

But really, it's hard to get excited for some of this crap. The list of Olympic [(R)(C)TM] sports reads like the activities at a summer camp for rich kids:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_sports#Current_summer_program

Remind me again why baseball is not an Olympic sport anymore? Which one of these other stupid competitions is more interesting than baseball? Is it ping pong? Maybe "shooting"? (wow you can aim a gun; what an athlete!) It must be synchronized swimming. It's been all the rage since that one scene in Caddyshack.

And why are horses allowed to compete for Olympic gold? Riding a horse is a lot of things, but "sport" is not one of them. When Stephen Colbert started in on this Mitt Romney's Dressage horse thing, this completely floored me for several reasons.
1) this is a real thing people do with horses
2) they turned it into a competition
3) it is somehow worthy of Olympic competition

It's like that King of the Hill episode where Hank Hill is dancing with his dog.
But baseball? Nope, sorry. Not obscure enough I guess.
They need the time and space to bring back tug-of-war. lol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tug_of_war_at_the_Summer_Olympics
You read it! You can't unread it!
Re: NBA, NFL who do u go for, etc anything about the sports PostMon Jul 23, 2012 8:05 pm Offline
Shakeup in Seattle today, as Ichiro Suzuki, who spent 11 1/2 years with the Mariners, got traded to the Yankees for a couple of pitcher prospects.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/seat ... ees-072312

What's more, his first game as a Yank is against his former team, going on RIGHT NOW!
Re: NBA, NFL who do u go for, etc anything about the sports PostTue Jul 24, 2012 12:22 am Offline
Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:03 am0
The Suzuki trade took a lot of people by surprise. I'm a Brewers fan, but the injuries have killed them this year. I expect them to start trading players in their contract years, like Greinke, Wolf, and Marcum.

Football...Green Bay Packers, of course.

NBA...I gave up on it years ago. The referring is biased, IMO, and there is no parity.
Re: NBA, NFL who do u go for, etc anything about the sports PostTue Jul 24, 2012 4:05 pm Offline
Typical Yankees.
Ichiro has turned to the Dark Side.

How about that hammer that came down on Penn State? Wow.

Well look at the bright side, Penn State; you're going to have more money available for academic things since your football program is effectively dead. I expect them to leave the Big 10 in the next few years.

I'm kind of torn about this. One the one hand it's highly unfair to punish so many for the actions of so few. But on the other hand, kids was ass-raped. And it is high time some chinks start to form in the corrupt armor of college sports. There are a lot of people living large off of the free (and in the case of football, dangerous) labor of student athletes.
I love watching football, including college ball, but I am smart enough to see that there is a system in place to exploit these kids for profit and I'll accept any changes to the game that make the current situation less unfair.
Re: NBA, NFL who do u go for, etc anything about the sports PostThu Jul 26, 2012 11:56 pm Offline
triplemultiplex wrote:
How about that hammer that came down on Penn State? Wow.

Well look at the bright side, Penn State; you're going to have more money available for academic things since your football program is effectively dead. I expect them to leave the Big 10 in the next few years.

I'm kind of torn about this. One the one hand it's highly unfair to punish so many for the actions of so few. But on the other hand, kids was ass-raped. And it is high time some chinks start to form in the corrupt armor of college sports. There are a lot of people living large off of the free (and in the case of football, dangerous) labor of student athletes.
I love watching football, including college ball, but I am smart enough to see that there is a system in place to exploit these kids for profit and I'll accept any changes to the game that make the current situation less unfair.

One good thing that comes out of all this:

Whoever wants to transfer from Penn State won't be penalized for doing so, and that little exception rule goes all year long!
Re: NBA, NFL who do u go for, etc anything about the sports PostMon Jul 30, 2012 1:45 am Offline
Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:20 pm5070
So Michael Phelps came in 4th in a swimming event. And he won a silver in a relay swimming event. I think this is his last Olympics. But the gymnastics - I've never seen so many contenders fall off the high bar and also miss in their tumbling by ending up out-of-bounds. Very unusual to see in world competition. And we're only in day 2 of the competition.

At least Kobe and the USA basketball team are on track (no surprise here) to ultimately get the gold in basketball :)
Re: NBA, NFL who do u go for, etc anything about the sports PostMon Jul 30, 2012 3:52 pm Offline
My brother and I watched a water polo match for a while and were totally confused by it. Referees would blow their whistles but everyone kept playing. When there was a change of possession, it was like slow-motion soccer. The game was like half over before I realized there was a shot clock.

We also caught a little fencing. How can a sport with two dudes swinging swords at each other be so boring? You can't even tell what happens and scoring points seems entirely subjective.

Hey Britain, can we order up some warmer weather for the beach volleyball matches? Some of the ladies are wearing pants. Kind of defeats the point.
Re: NBA, NFL who do u go for, etc anything about the sports PostTue Jul 31, 2012 7:09 pm Offline
triplemultiplex wrote:
Hey Britain, can we order up some warmer weather for the beach volleyball matches? Some of the ladies are wearing pants. Kind of defeats the point.

I agree. It looks like they're having the same weather we have in the Pacific Northwest!

:lol:
Re: NBA, NFL who do u go for, etc anything about the sports PostTue Jul 31, 2012 10:29 pm Offline
triplemultiplex wrote:

And shirts :o

Go Halos! Angels are doing great :D

July 30: Angels 15, Rangers 8
July 31: Angels 6, Rangers 2

Record: W: 57 L: 47 .548
Re: NBA, NFL who do u go for, etc anything about the sports PostWed Aug 01, 2012 1:25 pm Offline
zzyzx 1 wrote:

Go Halos! Angels are doing great :D

July 30: Angels 15, Rangers 8
July 31: Angels 6, Rangers 2

Record: W: 57 L: 47 .548

Have fun with Zach Grienke. Hopefully some of those prospects we got for him will pan out. The pitchers will likely have a chance soon since the Brewers "blowpen" keeps fucking up games. It's like there's a virus going around out there in left field (location of home bullpen at Miller Park).
Re: NBA, NFL who do u go for, etc anything about the sports PostWed Aug 01, 2012 4:12 pm Offline
Baseball around here is a strange thing.

Last week, Seattle traded Ichiro to the Yankees, just before playing them in a three-game series at Safeco. Yanks took that series 2-1.

Since then, however, the six games since then, well, let's just say the M's have been unusually better. More hits, more runs, and a six-game winning streak in their own park, where offense had of late been close to nonexistent!

I'm thinking some kind of message was sent during The Trade. Before the season started, manager Eric Wedge wanted to make it clear to the team that this was not supposed to be just "The Ichiro Show," that everyone needs to do their part. Now, without an ultra-popular name in the roster, they don't have a choice!

Honestly, I think fans here just went catatonic from the results.
Re: NBA, NFL who do u go for, etc anything about the sports PostSat Aug 11, 2012 1:49 am Offline
Thought of you tonight, Angus :)

I went to the Angels/Mariners game in Anaheim tonight. Mariner Cy Young winner Felix Hernandez didn't do much; sorry Angus.

The Angels won on a wild pitch in the bottom of the ninth with Mariner pitcher Ernesto Frieri throwing that pitch.

Angels win 6-5.

After the game was over the Angels put on a fireworks show :o
They do this after every Friday night game.

Read about the game here:

http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/mlb/ga ... p&c_id=ana
Re: NBA, NFL who do u go for, etc anything about the sports PostMon Aug 13, 2012 3:03 pm Offline
zzyzx 1 wrote:
Thought of you tonight, Angus :)

I went to the Angels/Mariners game in Anaheim tonight. Mariner Cy Young winner Felix Hernandez didn't do much; sorry Angus.

The Angels won on a wild pitch in the bottom of the ninth with Mariner pitcher Ernesto Frieri throwing that pitch.

Angels win 6-5.

After the game was over the Angels put on a fireworks show :o
They do this after every Friday night game.

Read about the game here:

http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/mlb/ga ... p&c_id=ana

That was a weird one. But Seattle did take the next two games, including a pitchers' duel on Sunday.

I know. I'm scared, too. :shock: :lol:

Sort by  
Page 47 of 50 749 posts Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50  Next