Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 1 of 64 954 posts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 64  Next
'80's Music PostTue Dec 18, 2007 12:57 am Offline
Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:05 pm212Chicago
Here's where fans of '80's music can discuss bands they like, reccomend music, etc.

A discussion about obscure '80's bands was about to start in the "Random Facts About You 2" thread. I'll continue it here.

The Gun Club.
Is that obscure enough? They were an interesting band, kind of a blend of blues and punk. Their first album, Fire of Love, is really great, loud and full of energy. Probably their best record. Here's a great review:
http://wc06.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=a ... ftxqu5ldde

Their other great record is Mother Juno, produced by Robin Guthrie of 80's band The Cocteau Twins.

Fans of punk and post-punk should check them out.
Zubby
Re: '80's Music PostTue Dec 18, 2007 1:39 am Offline
Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:44 am1219Bedford (U.K)
The Associates
Hailing from Edinburgh, Scotland in the late seventies The Associates were comprised of the dynamic duo of Billy MacKenzie and Alan Rankine released their debut LP 'The Affectionate Punch' in 1980.18 months later the group decided to move onto the 'Situation Two' label - on which they released their classic 'Sulk' album. 'Sulk' brought the Associates their first taste of success with the LP entering into the UK album charts at #10. This was on the back of three successful forays into the UK top 30 with 'Party Fears Two', 'Club Country' and '18 Carat Love Affair'

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6DAPNLZmhHo
Kyle: Why? How could you do this? There are people starving in Alabama and you give Cartman a million dollars?

Cartman: Line? Lines! I HATE LINES!!!
Re: '80's Music PostTue Dec 18, 2007 3:53 am Offline
Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:43 pm18787I was over nah, but now I'm over heah.
I've got a super obscure band/group-thing. I came across a cassette in a thrift shop in Port Aransas that was labled "Jefferson - Caltrick KSPN, Aspen, Summer 1980". From what I gather, the name of the group is Caltrick, and they have two songs that got radio play, "Jefferson", and "All comes down to love". They sound kind of folksy, and more like they're from the early 70's, instead of early 80s. Much internet searching has turned up nothing on them, so they were probably a local band.
Re: '80's Music PostTue Dec 18, 2007 4:22 pm Offline
Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:24 pm5686The Mormon Homeland
What a coincidence. I'm listening to a little Beastie Boys while I look at this 80's music thread.
You read it! You can't unread it!
Re: '80's Music PostTue Dec 18, 2007 10:46 pm Offline
Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:52 pm8921Shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque...
Aw, man, I should feel at home here. The best decade in music, period.

For those of you who like 12" remixes, if you have a record store that specializes in this series, I would recommend the "Retro: Active" CDs. There are six of them so far, by a label from Canada, and they have a lot to offer, from the popular (Tears for Fears, a-ha) to the not-so-but-still-good (Alphaville, Red Box) to the WTF (Book of Love, Xymox).

Almost forgot, there are also two volumes of "Retro Remixed" from the same series, and those are more updated renditions of these bands. A lot of 'em are okay, but they did a rather poor mix of David Bowie's "Heroes," using only one line and looping it ad nauseum for six minutes. Otherwise, pretty good.
Re: '80's Music PostWed Dec 19, 2007 12:27 am Offline
James--76 wrote:

I had heard the name but didn't know their music.
It sounds like someone has a REALLY tight grip on the singer's balls!

I was never a huge fan of the New Romantic stuff, although some of it was pretty catchy. I did like the band Japan quite a bit, they were a lot smarter than most of the synth-pop of the day.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lKojaaH3r ... re=related

Anyone here listen to DAF? They were a German 2 man band, kind of a precursor to bands like Nitzer Ebb (a lot better than them, actually).
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cB121qgYm ... re=related
Zubby
Re: '80's Music PostWed Dec 19, 2007 12:57 am Offline
Tue May 11, 2004 5:12 pm2644Kenosha, Wisconsin
I am a huge fan of 80s Soft Rock/AC.

I also like the rock, pop and new wave of the 1980s. Too many artists and songs to list here.

Some good radio stations that were around in the
80s

B97.3 WBTT Milwaukee
Rock 95 WJZQ Kenosha
96 KPKE Denver
103.5 WFYR Chicago
100.7 WRKR Racine-Kenosha
Love 102 WLUM Milwaukee
The Oldies Station 1250 WEMP Milwaukee (Milwaukee's first oldies station)
92.1 WHKQ Racine-Kenosha
Magic 104 WJMK Chicago (Chicago's Oldies station for 21 years beginning in 1984)
94.7 WLS-FM Chicago
104.7 KZZP Phoenix
Z100 WHTZ New York (still going strong since 1983)

radio geek posting here....
Stan and Kyle :)
Re: '80's Music PostWed Dec 19, 2007 6:48 am Offline
Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:44 am1219Bedford (U.K)
Yeah Japan where good Life in tokyo was a good song David Sylvian also had sucess as a solo astist aswell.I love 12" remixes i used to have loads but i don`t have a turntable anymore but i still have the old vinyl in the loft i have a few box sets called 12"80s check out the track listing here.

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/570860/ ... oduct.html
Kyle: Why? How could you do this? There are people starving in Alabama and you give Cartman a million dollars?

Cartman: Line? Lines! I HATE LINES!!!
Re: '80's Music PostWed Dec 19, 2007 5:21 pm Offline
My hat's off to those who put some of the real hard-to-find tunes on YT. I came across a couple recently, one by Taxxi, and another by a two-man band called Minor Detail. We have the LP round here somewhere, and the uploader has MD's "Canvas of Life" up to hear. (They used to have the video, but that's long since gone.)

Go ahead, give it a listen.
Re: '80's Music PostWed Dec 19, 2007 8:53 pm Offline
How about The Plastics?

Fans of early '80's kitch-pop will love this Japanese band.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CF3MvF-KQvI&feature=related

I have both their Japanese cd's and their one American lp, which is basically remixed tracks from the Japanese records.
Zubby
Re: '80's Music PostWed Dec 19, 2007 10:29 pm Offline
kfgg wrote:
I am a huge fan of 80s Soft Rock/AC.

I also like the rock, pop and new wave of the 1980s. Too many artists and songs to list here.

Some good radio stations that were around in the
80s

B97.3 WBTT Milwaukee
Rock 95 WJZQ Kenosha
96 KPKE Denver
103.5 WFYR Chicago
100.7 WRKR Racine-Kenosha
Love 102 WLUM Milwaukee
The Oldies Station 1250 WEMP Milwaukee (Milwaukee's first oldies station)
92.1 WHKQ Racine-Kenosha
Magic 104 WJMK Chicago (Chicago's Oldies station for 21 years beginning in 1984)
94.7 WLS-FM Chicago
104.7 KZZP Phoenix

radio geek posting here....

There even used to be a good station here in Seattle, KYYX 96.5. And just as we got to liking it, it went off the air in '84 and since then has been several different call letters and formats. It's currently KJAQ (JackFM).

But the best variety is still on XM Radio, be it 80s on 8, Boneyard (41) or Fred (44).

I talked of "obscure" bands back in Random 2, but I used quotes on purpose, since what may be hard to find in one area may not be just as hard to find in another, as I learned one day.

Any '80s bands you like that are still around today? Mine is! Here's a double-dose of Alphaville:

Then: Big in Japan (1984)

Now-ish: Return to Paradise II (2003)
Re: '80's Music PostWed Dec 19, 2007 10:37 pm Offline
  • YIM
Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:55 pm1780Under The Weeping Moon
I'm not a fan of the 80s... other than the REAL metal bands (GNR, Metallica, Van Halen (with Dave), Iron Maiden, Judas Priest), I could care less, personally.
Founder of the Western Orthodox Branch of the Church of Butters!

"The world will know peace when humanity is extinguished."
-- False Awakenings
Re: '80's Music PostWed Dec 19, 2007 10:40 pm Offline
^ What the hell, they count, too. After all, they had some good stuff at the time as well!

As for Van Halen, my all-time favorite, it didn't matter who was singing, just as long as the music kicks ass, I'm happy.

Loved Hagar in 5150!
Re: '80's Music PostWed Dec 19, 2007 10:57 pm Offline
Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:55 am2729
kfgg wrote:

Ah, that's the one radio station that my dad and I ever agreed on... They play their fair share of both Classic Rock and early Metal (late at night), so both of us are cool with that each time we go back up to New York for vacation... If only they did the same here in my podunk swamp town...
Goodbye, cruel world...
I'm leaving you today
Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye...

Goodbye, all you people
There's nothing you can say
To make me change my mind...
Goodbye...

- Pink Floyd (The Wall, 1979)
Re: '80's Music PostWed Dec 19, 2007 11:05 pm Offline
I'll have to check and see if KISW 99.9 still has their '80s block on Sundays. My gal told me about that some time ago, so I wanna double-check on that.

Other bands I liked from the decade:

Ultravox
Twisted Sister
Marillion*
Judas Priest*
Van Halen*
W.A.S.P.*
Spinal Tap*
Talking Heads*
When in Rome
Big Pig
Trans-X