Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Page 7 of 8 111 posts Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

South Park Republicans?
Definitely. We've got some here, yo. 34%  34%  [ 395 ]
Yeah, I think I could see that... 17%  17%  [ 194 ]
No way, those ideals are way apart. 18%  18%  [ 203 ]
What does a TV show have to do with politics? 32%  32%  [ 365 ]
Total votes : 1157
Author Message
PostTue Feb 01, 2005 5:28 pm Offline
  • Profile
Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:14 pm1
Libertarian>All other political organizations 8)
PostTue Feb 01, 2005 5:34 pm Offline
  • YIM
  • Profile
Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:16 pm42cranston, ri
south park is f*cking awesome

[s]however, republicans SUCK[/s]
AW SICK DUDE!!
PostTue Feb 01, 2005 6:57 pm OfflineSite Admin
  • Profile
Thu May 20, 2004 7:52 am2362The Internet
angels2others wrote:
[s]however, republicans SUCK[/s]

Sounds like a flamewar waiting to happen. Down boy. DOWN!
Re: South Park Republicans? PostWed Feb 02, 2005 5:21 am Offline
  • Profile
Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:24 am1
nall wrote:
There are a number of articles on the web about "South Park Republicans", such as this one and this one. Do you believe it, or do you think those two things are too far apart?
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
The mistake you make is that you only believe that there are two only different parties and opinions in the world. Democrats and republicans. There are more. You never had sosialists or communists influence in your society. I do not care whether they are repaublicans or democrats. I only know that they make great show making fun with every stupid things ANYONE does.
And i wonna ask something:
I am in Greece. I watch south park episodes from a friend and i am going to have the DVD from the 4th season from my sister who is now in Boston. I want to know if there is any way to watch the 9th period. How am i going to find comedy central in satelite channel.
PostWed Feb 02, 2005 8:47 am Offline
  • Profile
Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:20 pm48Poland Gorzow
And I live in Europe and i dont care
Image
PostWed Feb 02, 2005 9:50 am Offline
  • Profile
Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:16 am4
I think being from Europe (England) helps a lot when it comes to understanding the american political two party joke of a system. I live in the United States and have for 2 years.

Matt and Trey are Libertarians, this has been stated. So this topic really should be dead. Republican (especially this administration) have very little if not NOTHING in common with libertarians. I know this because I am a libertarian and am sickened by this administration and the republican party as a whole. Anyone who thinks they are libertarian and also supports the republican party either has no idea what either libertarian means or what the recent history of Republican policy is.

It is a grave missconception (and one almost unique to americans) that libertarians are for small government in the same way a repubican claims to be. A libertarian wishes to be free from the control of authoritarian power and this powers is more sickening when the citizens are unable to hold that power accountable. A democraticly elected government is in many ways held accountable for it's actions (not as much as we would like but at least the system is supposed to do that).

Rebublicans are for transfering power from the democraticly elected government to the hands of private business holders (read: corporations). I do not believe that any libertarian has faith that a board of directors have the best interets of society at heart when running and social type buisiness. any one with a brain knows the sole interest of a board of directors is to make sure the company is making money, they don't stop and say "yes but at what cost to humanity".

So no I do not believe that South Park has any pro Republican message. Sure Cartman does, but he is supposed to be the worst aspects of humanity in one person. How that can be percieved at pro Republican I do not know. Funny as hell yes.

The show pokes fun at both Republican and Democrats and the fact that so many people think that Mat and Trey are either side of that narrow fence is main reason they do it. Americans (in general) don't understand that politics need to be looked at outside the narrow view of two useless parties.

South Park is not pro-democrat either because the best thing to say about them is they are not as bad as the republicans. At least the core philosophy is sane but still a joke compared to countries that have a real democratic debate going on.

Saying South Park is a republican show is just another ignorant thing said by republicans. Not suprising and not shocking, just dumb.
==== http://www.Flat-Life.com ===
My webcomic, please check out.
Re: South Park Republicans? PostWed Feb 02, 2005 10:42 am OfflineSite Admin
  • Profile
Thu May 20, 2004 7:52 am2362The Internet
tsaros90 wrote:
nall wrote:
There are a number of articles on the web about "South Park Republicans", such as this one and this one. Do you believe it, or do you think those two things are too far apart?
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
The mistake you make is that you only believe that there are two only different parties and opinions in the world. Democrats and republicans. There are more. You never had sosialists[sic]

Just for reference, I don't believe there are only two parties in the world. We do have the Green Party and the Libertarian Party, you know. I'm a big fan of one of them, and many of my friends are fans of the other.
PostWed Feb 02, 2005 12:35 pm Offline
  • Profile
Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:49 pm2
parabolee- wrote:
Rebublicans are for transfering power from the democraticly elected government to the hands of private business holders (read: corporations). I do not believe that any libertarian has faith that a board of directors have the best interets of society at heart when running and social type buisiness. any one with a brain knows the sole interest of a board of directors is to make sure the company is making money, they don't stop and say "yes but at what cost to humanity".


Unfortunately, many groups have splinters. The Green party has the wing that is for civil liberties and environmental education, and they have the wing that is uber-vegan and into enviromental fanaticism.

The Libertarians have the same issue. Many are what you are talking about; but many (such as those associated with the Cato institute) believe that lack of government involvement means giving corporations carte blanche. They think any form of corporate oversite (EPA, SEC, etc.) infringes on corporate liberties (meanwhile, the public can be damned). Trey and Matt seem to me to be more of the Free Business type of libertarians.
PostWed Feb 02, 2005 1:39 pm Offline
  • Profile
Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:16 am4
I disagree. Matt and Trey do not seem like the "free buisiness" type of libertarians if by that you mean the ones that think "screw the public it's the companies liberties I care about". By which you mean "Republican Libertarians". People for the rights of corporations! What the hell is the world coming to?

EDIT - Removed an incorrect statement (You can read below posts if you wish to know what it was)

I personaly feel politics are deeper than left/right. Don't know what I mean? Go here -

http://www.digitalronin.f2s.com/politic ... index.html

Find out what your politics REALLY are. I bet you would be suprised how far away you are from the people you consider your political idols. Especially you niave "Libertarian/Republicans".
==== http://www.Flat-Life.com ===
My webcomic, please check out.
Last edited by parabolee- on Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
PostWed Feb 02, 2005 2:55 pm Offline
  • Profile
Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:50 pm1
Ok, just have to correct you, no, the cartoon in Bowling for Columbine was not made by Matt and Trey. In fact, they made fun on Michael Moore in Team America because the felt he ripped them off by having that cartoon made in the first place.

Anyway, I find this "South Park Republicans" movement to be nothing more then a desperate attempt by a conversative to hijack something that is viewed as cool in hopes it will rub off on them too. It's fairly obvious to me that Matt and Trey do not fit snuggly into either of the major two parties in America. They strike me as two men who have their own opinions and own beliefs, free of any partisan drudgery.
PostWed Feb 02, 2005 3:29 pm OfflineSite Admin
  • Profile
Thu May 20, 2004 7:52 am2362The Internet
parabolee- wrote:
Also I saw Matt interviewed on Michael Moore's "Bowling for Columbine" DVD and he seemed to very much agree with and to like Michael. I am sure I do not need to point out the fact that Michael Moore is far from being friends with republicans.

EDIT - And the animation in the middle of "Bowling for Columbine" was made by Matt and Trey.

Actually, they don't think very highly of Michael Moore, and they didn't do that animation.

Did you see their interview with Conan?

Quote:
Conan: Michael Moore is depicted in this film (Team America) along with a lot of other celebrities. And I talked about it with one of our producers after we saw the movie because you guys sort of go after Michael Moore. And it thought, “That’s surprising,” because Michael Moore was in Bowling for Columbine, it’s his movie, he interviewed you (points to Matt) on Bowling for Columbine and I remember thinking I thought those guys were friends with Michael Moore. Did you have a falling out?

Matt: It wasn’t so much a falling out. He asked me to do the interview for Bowling for Columbine because I grew up in Littleton, Colorado. So I thought, okay, I’ll talk about growing up in Littleton, Colorado. What he did that made us a little angry is he put an animation in right after my piece in Bowling in Columbine that is very South Park-esque in its look. And I think 99% of the people who saw Bowling for Columbine think Trey and I did that animation.

Conan: I thought it was yours until my producer told me that he talked to you guys. I thought that you had done that animation.

Trey: No no. He asked us if we would do an animated thing for him, and we’re like, “You know, we grew up in Colorado, our parents have guns, it’s just, you know, whatever.”

Conan: I’m wearing a gun right now. It’s just accepted.

Trey: Yeah exactly. We strongly believe in guns. So then he kind of did it anyway. So then later when he did Fahrenheit 911, people were like, well, Michael Moore kind of lies and manipulates to make people think certain things. We’re, like, personal victims of that. So we basically decided to make him into a puppet and blow him up.

Matt: I mean, he didn‚t explicitly say, “Matt and Trey did this animation.” But he made it look like it. And that’s what he does in his movies. He uses two images together and creates meaning where there isn’t none.

Trey: And he’s fat.
PostWed Feb 02, 2005 9:20 pm Offline
  • Profile
Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:23 am6
They obviously play it down the middle, seeming to come down on different sides of different issues.

But I found it very telling that in the "America, F*ck Yeah!" song, when they were shouting "F*ck yeah!" affirmations after various things, that Democrats got a "F*ck yeah!", while Republicans didn't.
PostWed Feb 02, 2005 10:44 pm Offline
  • Profile
Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:14 pm1
I'd say that South Park is generally a fiscally conservative yet socially liberal show however not extreme with regards to either, they often merely ask for moderation from one side they perceive as extreme on an issue which explains their harsh criticism of both the Religious Right and the liberal "P.C. mafia" and thus appealing to moderates both left and right of the center. They are basically following a common sense doctrine of moderation.

I find myself agreeing with South Park the majority of the time (maybe 70-80% of the time) and I would consider myself a left-of-center moderate, I generally associate with very liberal people who tend to like South Park even though it seems to me like the more radical a person is the less they enjoy it. I would generally say that both hardcore right wingers especially religious ones and hardcore left wingers are made fun of considerably in the show.

It's essentially social and political satire. However there is no consistant bias, they decide from issue to issue and usually seek middle ground and seem to mostly rail against certain groups going over the top with their views which is why I think even a liberal or a conservative who is the "target" of a joke may laugh at it, just because you are part of a political group doesnt mean you agree with everything done in its name. I am more liberal than conservatives but I can see PC has gone too far and I can think PETA are whackos etc.

I do think that politics and social issues play a huge role for the show and I would vehemently disagree that it is mostly just about being funny and making people laugh. They often enough neglect "being funny" for the sake of bringing a message across. Humor is a big part of the show obviously and the primary reason people watch it but it's pretty blatant that these guys want to make sure people get their message in an episode. In fact if there is any annoyance with the show I have (I still think its awesome obviously) its that it can be downright preachy at times which is pretty ironic given that they strongly rip on preachiness both by the Left and the Right.
PostThu Feb 03, 2005 7:06 am Offline
  • Profile
Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:16 am4
I stand corrected on the animation, I was missinformed by another website. Funny thing is, I never thought that animation was done by Matt and Trey untill I read it on another site yesterday. It never even occured to me that it might be by them. Despite being played right after the interview with Matt. But I will gladly admit it when I am wrong.

And everything else I said is still correct. :)
==== http://www.Flat-Life.com ===
My webcomic, please check out.
what? PostThu Feb 03, 2005 12:29 pm Offline
  • YIM
  • Profile
Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:37 pm1mexico
what do politcs have to do with this sh*t... really na bady wants to se some bush or kerry fighting each other for some stupidtily.. yeah maybe taht funny n maybe i will see that program but thats no soo funny than make fun of artist ... really ..
Display posts from previous:  

Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Page 7 of 8 111 posts Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Beta Classic X