Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 1 of 1 3 posts
Episode 311 - Chinpokomon CC bloopers PostWed Aug 07, 2013 6:00 pm Offline
Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:01 am59
This is my 3rd edit. Why I don't just reply to myself, I couldn't tell you.

I love that closed captions are available. There have been a few lines I couldn't decipher at all - in 'The Mexican Staring Frog...', for example, when the female guest starts talking about her husband on Jesus & Pals.

As a first-and-a-half year student of Japanese, the accurate Romaji translations in ep 311 help for practice...but then:
Red Harris, store manager, leaves Chinpokomon Toy Corporation - and for a line or two, the CCs don't match Hirohito & Ose's spoken parts. I think the meaning's roughly the same ("I want the person responsible for making a mistake"), but it f*cks with me. Like bad dubbing.

As most Americans don't speak Japanese, the Chin-spoken (see what I did there?) parts are already a mystery; I feel like the CC mismatch might be intentional to add another teeny tiny in-joke.
But what the hell do I know. I'm not fluent. As it stands, given the tone of this episode, context is enough to suss out meaning.

Why is スッキリ on so many of the Japanese buildings?
"Form of...NEIL DIAMOND!!"
Re: Episode 311 - Chinpokomon CC bloopers PostWed Aug 07, 2013 11:21 pm OfflineBoard Moderator
  • YIM
Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:57 am17369Hollywood, CA
The transliteration is sukkiri, which doesn't have an English equivalent except maybe "That's it!" which one might say after finding a satisfactory solution to a difficult problem or situation.

The closest translation would be "Refreshing!" and it might make sense if the buildings are stores - there are refreshments in them.

Now, for the dialog...

President Hirohito:
Dame, dame da. Naze kono chippu wa soto ni detanda?!
["Bad, this is bad. How did this chip get out?!"]

Mr. Ose:
Wa, wakarimasen, sachoo san. Mondai desu ne.
["I, I don't know, boss. That's the problem."]

President Hirohito:
Sekininshou yobe!
["You're no longer in charge!"]

Mr. Ose:
Hai. Hai, sachoo san.
["Yes. Yes, boss."]

(the subs here are awful. I gave you what some Japanese fans heard 14 years ago when the episode first aired)
My SP Fan Site.

Favorite Character: Chef (RIP, for reals this time)
Favorite Episode: Anyone with Butters in it.
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Re: Episode 311 - Chinpokomon CC bloopers PostThu Aug 08, 2013 11:31 am Offline
Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:01 am59
Thank you!
I caught most of it, & mercifully I have my Japanese/English dictionaries, but I didn't recognize some words. Warui desu yo!
"Form of...NEIL DIAMOND!!"

Sort by  
Page 1 of 1 3 posts