Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 11 of 14 199 posts Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostSat Apr 21, 2007 4:01 pm Offline
Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:24 pm5686The Mormon Homeland
iceiwynd wrote:
Why is it that every time since Cartoon Wars that somebody thinks a joke was bad in SP, they say it was "Family Guy'd"? Seriously, does nobody else find this as retarded/annoying? It's impossible to do a cutaway gag now - which CAN be funny - without somebody declaring it a "Family Guy" joke in a negative context. And the same goes for a joke that's dragged on and on now, which can also be funny if done right. Just because a joke meets that criteria doesn't make it a Family Guy joke... sh*t, I'm just sick of hearing that applied to my favourite shows. e_e

I didn't say it was a bad thing. You assume my intent was negative. But if you remember, I'm not one of those post-Cartoon Wars Family Guy haters we have floating around here.

The nuiance of dragging a joke out longer than the viewer expects and still keeping it funny is something they do very well on Family Guy (ever since Wasted Talent when Peter skins his knee.) I see my statement as a compliment to both the homeless advisor guy's death scene and Family Guy.
You read it! You can't unread it!
PostSun Apr 22, 2007 10:38 am Offline
Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:27 am1594OHIO
Quote:
So their point was to drive a joke into the ground?

They've done it before.

I think Matt and trey are actually really good at overdoing a joke. And most of the time it's funny. Remember the barf scene in Team America? That's a perfect example.
PostSun Apr 22, 2007 11:44 am Offline
Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:14 pm7970Montgomery, AL
The difference is that Family Guy drags on jokes that weren't very funny to begin with. At least the suicide attempt joke in 1107 was funny, even if some people think that it dragged on a little.
PostSun Apr 22, 2007 12:03 pm Offline
Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:42 pm132Come back with a warrant.
KennyStanWendyFan: I concur. It's ok (at least for a while) to drag out funny jokes. It's lame to drag out unfunny jokes.
"A minute's success pays the failure of years." - Robert Browning
PostSun Apr 22, 2007 3:05 pm Offline
  • YIM
Tue May 25, 2004 10:21 pm11556El Paso, TX (BeanerTown, USA)
I had to go to NSO at Texas Tech on Wednesday night and just got back today, so I completely forgot that this episode even aired!

Anyway, this ep was lukewarm to me. Nothing in the plot was really hilarious, but it did have some funny parts, such as the reporter's name, the guy shooting himself over and over, and the boys' rendition of "California Love".

Overall, a 6.5/10

And so that concludes the first half of the 11th season. In general, the eps were funny, but only Fantastic Easter Special really stood out as a classic SP episode. It also contained Lice Capades, the worst SP episode ever. The eps in general gave good efforts, but with average results.

WATJJ- 7/10 - Humorous at first, got repetitive and lost humor in the last half.

Cartman Sucks- 8.5/10- Second best episode this season. Stayed funny and relatively clever throughout.

Lice Capades- 2/10- Worst episode of all time. Absolutely, positively retarded. Didn't get a single laugh or even a chuckle out of me.

The Snuke- 7.5/10- Nice 24 parody, but Queen Elizabeth blowing her head off was indicative of the forced jokes that are becoming more common. Overall, a decent episode.

Fantastic Easter Special- 10/10- Best episode since season 9. They brought Jesus back! This was more of the classic SP-type humor.

D-Yikes!- 6.5/10- Average episode, lesbian sex scenes and over-reliance on 300 parody brought this episode down a notch.

Night of the Living Homeless- 6.5/10- As stated above, nothing in the plot was really funny, but there were lots of humorous little details that kept it alive.

Overall season rating- 7/10- At times it really tried, and it was better than the second half of the 10th season, but only Fantastic Easter Special really captured me. The rest of the episodes were just a bit lackluster, and in the case of Lice Capades just rotten. Also, the episodes are beginning to rely increasingly highly on parodies of movies and other shows, which is acceptable once in a while, but soon begs the question as to whether Matt and Trey still enjoy coming up with original plotlines. Slowly and inexhorably, the series seems to be getting tired, although Matt and Trey can still write an occasional knock-dead killer episode.
I'm only happy when I'm in my misery...

Thanks to Mr. Hat_DX27 for the sig!
PostSun Apr 22, 2007 9:20 pm Offline
Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:14 pm7970Montgomery, AL
Cold Machine wrote:
KennyStanWendyFan: I concur. It's ok (at least for a while) to drag out funny jokes. It's lame to drag out unfunny jokes.

The writers of Family Guy seem to think that dragging on an unfunny joke will eventually make it funny. Instead, it just knocks it down another notch to "annoying."

Jumping on the bandwagon, here's my critique of the first half of Season 11:

With Apologies to Jesse Jackson - Pretty funny as I remember, though it's been a while since I've seen it. I do remember getting plenty of laughs at out of it, so I'll stick with my initial rating. 10/10

Cartman Sucks - When this episode was first announced, it sounded to me like a shock value episode and I thought for sure that I would hate it. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it wasn't that gross and was actually funny as hell. I originally gave it a 9/10, but it's been kicked up to a perfect score and is now my second favorite of the season. 10/10

Lice Capades - Seriously, this episode wasn't THAT bad. I didn't care for the lice plot that much, although it didn't bother me--I just wanted to see more of the boys, that's all. Kenny had a small role, which made me happy, and I laughed quite a few times. Even if it wasn't absolutely hysterical, it got some laughs from me. Definitely the most underrated episode of the season. 9/10

The Snuke - Probably the most overrated episode of the season, though that's not to say that I didn't like it. The Hillary Clinton plot was pretty stupid (it deserves far more criticism than the lice plot from Lice Capades) but everything else was pretty funny. I've never seen 24, but I've seen commercials, so I'm familiar with the basic premise. The over-the-top stuff was pretty funny, so all-in-all, it was a pretty good episode. 8/10

Fantastic Easter Special - This episode is GOD!!!!!! Definitely the best of the season, and possibly one of the best ever. Yay Jesus! 10/10

D-Yikes! - This is the only episode from Season 11 that I didn't like. I remember sitting in front of the TV with my index and middle fingers pressed against my forehead, shaking my head, waiting for the damn thing to end. I'm stubborn, okay? I have to see every episode of South Park all the way through no matter how much it may suck! Aside from a few funny little parts, this episode did little more than annoy and disgust me. 3/10 (I think I originally gave it a 4/10 though)

Night of the Living Homeless - A decent episode with some funny parts. It won't be a truly memorable one for me somewhere down the line and I probably wouldn't rewatch it unless I was rewatching the series in general or it just happened to be on. I don't feel strongly one way or the other about it, but I'll still give it a fairly positive rating because it wasn't at all bad. 7.5/10

Overall season rating: 8/10. Pretty good season. Let's hope the second half is at least as good.
ok episode, but NO MORE MOVIE/TV SPOOFS PostMon Apr 23, 2007 8:26 am Offline
Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:33 am20
this may have been a pretty good episode...but they are still relying too much on spoofing tv shows and movies.

spoofs may be cool every once and a while, but TOO MANY episodes this season have been some kind of tv show or movie spoof where they just take the basic plot or layout of a show/movie and copy it. (300, dawn of the dead, 24)

the best episodes of were those that didn't just copy the basic plot of a tv show or movie (carman sucks, easter special)

in the second half of the season, i'd like to see some more off-the-wall stuff that isn't just a spoof from popular culture, but is more original...just funny characters doing and saying funny things without a bunch of movie and tv references.

some great original episodes that come to mind: a.w.e.s.o.m.e.o., casa bonita, sea people...

they've got a while to work on the rest of the episodes...so i hope they use the time to come up with some really original stories rather than just deciding to do another movie or tv spoof at the last minute.
PostMon Apr 23, 2007 3:49 pm Offline
Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:11 pm61PumpkinNuts, Texas
That part where the guy shoots himself repeatedly . . . I've seen that before. It's a parody of another horror film, if it was intentional. If it wasn't intentional to parody the movie, I guess it was just a coincedince.

It reminded me of Rest Stop. Anyone ever seen it? The part where the girl shoots the cop in the head, and she thinks he's dead, and then he wakes back up and says, "You missed, you b*tch! Shoot me again!"

LOL that's why I found that part so funny. LOL this episode sort of reminded me of Dallas, Texas after dark. I really liked it.
"Don't ever go through life thinking that there isn't any hope, because then, there isn't any." --I don't know who said this, but probably someone who's pretty smart.

I don't cheer for the title. I cheer for my health.
PostMon Apr 23, 2007 4:12 pm Offline
Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:16 pm48
I think that this has been a very good start to season 11. 6/7 eps werevery good i think, accept for cartman sucks.
1.easter special
2.apoligizes
3.night of living homeless
4.d-yikes
5.the snuke
6.lice capades
7.cartmna sucks

When are they going to have that marathon ehere they usaly show all the episodes from the run right in a row?
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers? -George Carlin
PostMon Apr 23, 2007 9:57 pm Offline
Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:46 pm43
busy.. favorite part 'i learned your rib sauce?'
PostTue Apr 24, 2007 10:01 am Offline
Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:06 pm42
KennyStanWendyFan wrote:
Cartman Sucks - When this episode was first announced, it sounded to me like a shock value episode and I thought for sure that I would hate it. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it wasn't that gross and was actually funny as hell. I originally gave it a 9/10, but it's been kicked up to a perfect score and is now my second favorite of the season. 10/10 .

I agree with you there. Butters is always fun to watch.
Him and Cartman make South Park worthwhile to watch, imo. :P
PostTue Apr 24, 2007 2:51 pm Offline
Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:37 pm9
This episode was great in every single way. I was laughing the whole time.
PostTue May 08, 2007 1:14 pm Offline
Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:06 am555Brighton, UK
I just noticed something kind of interesting. I watched the Pink Eye episode, which is obviously also kind of a night of the living dead/ zombie thingie, and when Chef (wearing an Evel Knievel costume) tells the mayor and Barbrady how the zombies are taking over the town, Barbrady goes "Well, why won't you just jump over them with your rocket cycle, Evel Knievel?" And then in this episode Cartman is jumping over the homeless who are the sort of "zombies" of the episode.....
PostFri Jun 08, 2007 5:48 pm Offline
  • YIM
Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:37 pm1208New York.....Just kidding.
Lol! This is my third favorite episode on season eleven and also I liked that California love song when they drive the van and the homeless follow them.
Xandir: And the important we are together, Draw toge--(Gets hit by the head)

Mr.Garrison: You go to Hell, You go to Hell and you die!
PostFri Jun 08, 2007 5:49 pm Offline
Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:43 pm18774I was over nah, but now I'm over heah.
It is available in Downloads you know.

Sort by  
Page 11 of 14 199 posts Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next