Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 1 of 4 47 posts 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
*712* All About the Mormons? PostWed Mar 19, 2008 8:50 am OfflineSite Admin
Thu May 20, 2004 7:52 am2362The Internet
A Mormon kid moves to South Park and Stan has to kick his ass. But when Stan and his dad meet their new Mormon neighbors, they become fascinated with how genuinely nice they are. Meanwhile the other boys mock Stan relentlessly for wimping out.
All About Mormons PostWed Mar 26, 2008 9:43 pm Offline
Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:35 pm1
I'm amazed no one has commented yet on this episode. Out of all the fun that had been made on other religions, I found this one the tamest. Why is that Trey? Surely with recent Major Mormon news you could do better?

All in all the episode was great and dead-on. A few details were blurred over but must admit, the basis of the faith made the comedy write itself.

I am in a Mormon family and related much to the episode. I watched with my Mom who chuckled here and there, and at the end of the show she admitted, that it would look odd from an outsider.

But as a once insider, it did nail it. But again tame. I guess Trey and Matt figured they hurt enough feelings with Orgazmo, but seriously, with so much material to work with (In my opinion more interesting and politically driven then Scienetology) I am very curious and why so tame?
Re: *712* All About the Mormons? PostTue Dec 09, 2008 5:45 am Offline
Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:16 am1
I think this show exhibits the beauty of the first Bill of Rights. This may appear to be coming out of left field, but try to follow me. First of all, we have freedom of speech which Trey and Matt exhibited well. Thank God we can make fun of religion without being killed as a heretic. Yes I see the irony in thanking God for the right to make fun of religion. Secondly, it shows freedom of religion since you would have to be a moron to still believe in Mormonism after watching this episode. However, Americans do not seem to care that such a retarded religion as Mormonism is still around. Ok, I guess my second point doesn't make sense, but I still believe Mormonism is retarded. The sad part is that Mormons actually believe this bull. I ran into a Mormon missionary once and they asked me what I knew about Mormonism and in a non-judgmental way ( I try not to be a jack ass in front of people) told them exactly what I had learned from this South Park episode. I sh*t you not, they told me that everything I had said was true. Hey, has anyone realized that you can't spell Mormon without the word moron. I didn't put the asterisk in the word sh*t. Damn it, they did it again.
Re: *712* All About the Mormons? PostMon Dec 22, 2008 7:48 pm Offline
Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:14 pm6615B.C.
I liked how gary told stan to suck his balls at the end. :P
My favorite sp characters: Bridon(he's so cute!)
Kyle,Stan, Kenny/Mysterion.

Fave ep: ESM Season 12,Sec fave: Butterballs Season 16
Re: *712* All About the Mormons? PostMon Dec 29, 2008 10:01 pm Offline
Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:50 pm22
It really goes into details of the mormon life. :unhoodedkenny:
Re: *712* All About the Mormons? PostMon Jan 26, 2009 2:28 am Offline
Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:09 pm920
I’d have to say Stan's right. then again, idcwpt.
Re: *712* All About the Mormons? PostMon Jan 26, 2009 2:45 pm Offline
Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:50 pm1
This episode is pretty funny in making fun of Mormon families. I'm a mormon living in Utah and it drives me nuts when I'm around families like that.

I must say however that this episode makes fun of us Mormons just like how one would make fun of anything else. They get the main facts down so that it doesn't lie about it, but they leave out little important details that fill in the holes so that I makes sense. Yes the main points are accurate, but everything else is out of proportion.

All I'm saying is not to take this as what really happened and actually look into it so you get the real picture. One example is when Mrs. Harris took the pages, she didn’t hide them. They were stolen from her by people who wanted to destroy Joseph Smith. They changed the words so that when Joseph Smith retranslated it, it would have looked like he made it up; so history tells us that he received a revelation to just keep moving on in the translation.

Also he didn’t read out of a hat. He hid them in a hat for a time but when he read them it has at a table with a curtain in-between him and Martin Harris because the plates were sacred. There were also 8 people who did see the plates and testified of them.
Re: *712* All About the Mormons? PostTue Feb 03, 2009 12:28 am Offline
Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:18 am1
i loved the episode! i am a recent LDS convert and i am a strong believer in the religion and in Joseph Smith. the episode would of helped me a lot...my missionaries mentioned it so i searched it up..i wish they could of told me earlier so i would of known a lot in our early lessons :D lol and it did cover the main points but like somebody else mentioned it left out other things...but it was soooo funny i am going to get my non-believers friends to watch it so that they can understand why i have changed sooo much. all mormons are nice and i like that! and loved the last part of the episode also liked that kenny didnt die in this episode :)
Re: *712* All About the Mormons? PostSun Mar 22, 2009 7:42 pm Offline
Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:55 am3
:D
I think this episode is marvelous. I am not a Mormon, but I have known some Mormons, and have found them to be pretty much the nicest people I have ever met. I am fascinated by how such intelligent, sincere people can believe in such a very strange religion. Then again, I'm sure many people find all religion to be strange...

It's clear that Trey is kind of fascinated by Mormons, too: this episode, Oragazmo, the Mormons in Do the Handicapped Go to Hell, and supposedly a new musical about Mormons in the works. I don't blame him for being fascinated; I am too. This episode got me reading about it, and although I don't believe it one bit, I find it to be a remarkable history. Way to go, South Park creators! Shows how thoughtful this show can be...
Re: *712* All About the Mormons? PostSat May 23, 2009 7:01 am Offline
Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:48 pm16Ireland
I have understood nothing. What a pity. :cry:
Re: *712* All About the Mormons? PostSat Jul 11, 2009 4:43 pm Offline
Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:07 pm1
the entire episode was inacurate. It's kind of sad when people actually believe what they hear on a TV show like south park.

the real story can be found at:

http://www.mormon.org/mormonorg/eng/bas ... the-gospel
Re: *712* All About the Mormons? PostSun Jul 12, 2009 4:44 pm Offline
Fri May 01, 2009 6:20 pm14
Mormons are a "christian cult" that in the 20th century offshooted the scientology/pyramide money scheme. Scientologists and Mormons are...... misguided.....
Re: *712* All About the Mormons? PostMon Jul 20, 2009 5:31 am Offline
Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:35 am8
Jeffh wrote:
the entire episode was inacurate. It's kind of sad when people actually believe what they hear on a TV show like south park.

the real story can be found at:

http://www.mormon.org/mormonorg/eng/bas ... the-gospel

Hmm, actually, its a pretty accurate history account of the Mormon religion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormonism

While I agree Southpark isn't the sort of program you'd take serious when it comes to subjects like these, as they are usually just satire and exaggerated, they still give an accurate account of how the religion was formed, even though its criticising the religion at the same time.
Re: *712* All About the Mormons? PostTue Jul 21, 2009 10:07 pm Offline
Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:13 pm1
ok ... seriously the funniest part of all this is that the Mormon religious story is so ridiculous that South Park just presents it.... LOL

you know your in trouble when something is really that dumb!

i recently have been around a bunch of Mormons and even (gulp) dated one for a short time... they are a good bunch of people but i just could never understand why they had to believe in such nonsense... other than the Joseph Smith parts it seems like the book of Mormon is based on universal truths... which of course u dont have to be Mormon to believe or understand... so yeah i didnt join... duh

p.s. i wish all LDS kids had as much sense as the kid did when he told off Stan at the end! Brilliant!!!
Re: *712* All About the Mormons? PostTue Oct 27, 2009 6:11 pm Offline
Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:53 pm1
Yeah I agree, this was pretty tame for South Park.

I used to be friends with a Mormon years ago and so I researched into the religion (I've researched a lot of religions over the years). I find it amazing how tame it was because they really had a lot of material to work with, such as their beliefs. They're trained to come off as Christians at first (kind of like sounding like a name brand) and then things are revealed the deeper you go into the religion. They believe there are uncountable number of gods all over the universe all watching over little worlds. The gods (former Mormons) have wives who have spirit babies, and the Mormon families have lots of kids in order to bring down the spirit babies from heaven. Any Mormon can become a god or goddess, but if you're a woman watch out: you're in for eternally giving birth to spirit babies. You have to do a lot, and live a very good life to become a god. Polygamy is ok in their writings. They have prophets today that whatever they speak is the voice of god and is comparable to the Book of Mormon, which is a symptom of a cult.

Oh what else can I remember? There's a lot of racism in the books (there's more writings than just the Book of Mormon) and the darker the skin the deeper the sin, so african americans are looked down on in the religion. You probably noticed a bit of racism in the whole Native Americans were originally white bit. Let's see, they are commanded to wear long underwear at all times to protect them from sin. They have their own planet/world called Kolob where the gods and goddesses rule. I confronted my Mormon friend about all this, and he was embarressed but said these basics were true. A few people in my class were angry he hid this. Still a nice guy though, I was still friends with him. I've read stories though of people getting out of the religion in other parts of America, and they feel that deeper in the religion they were brainwashed and they feel it is a cult.

Not a joke. Just google it instead of questioning it, it's all out there. So yeah, I'm amazed South Park didn't go into that. Maybe they didn't research that far into it? Anyways it was a good episode

Sort by  
Page 1 of 4 47 posts 1, 2, 3, 4  Next