Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 8 of 12 177 posts Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Re: *1204: Canada on Strike* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Apr 03, 2008 7:49 pm Offline
Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:40 pm1
I don't want to be an R-Tard, but is the WGA a slam at the writer's guild strike? I hope to hell so...giggled my ass off!
By the way, my mom's Canadian, and I love needling her with the "Blame Canada " song....I love you guys!!
Re: *1204: Canada on Strike* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Apr 03, 2008 7:55 pm Offline
Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:49 pm328Ohio
thoraxcorp wrote:
south park is done. i feared it would happen. these last few seasons have been lacking greatly. i mean sure, they've had a few good episodes, but nothing like they used to be. i can't think of an episode from before chef died that i didn't like. matt and trey have become really self-righteous, and wednesday's episode was one of the worst offenders. i find it ironic that they continue to mock family guy when they themselves have succumbed to the lazy writing and formula that they satirize. in some ways, south park is much worse in that matt and trey have abandoned trying to make people laugh and instead just use the show as a surrogate for their opinions (which is fine, but it's really tiresome when the whole episode revolves around an oversimplified message). they also criticize family guy for not having "developed characters based on a plot" when really they've thrown all of the characters' personalities to hell and have made them all annoying and one-dimensional. also, the writing sucks. at least family guy still makes jokes.

I strongly disagree with you. All shows need to progress and grow as they go on, and I think that the episodes are only getting better, with only a few exceptions. To be honest, I just don't get where you're coming from about the characters not being developed enough. It seems to me that all the major characters and even some of the secondary characters are very dimensional and interesting. Cartman is a good example, as his character is defined as the assh*le, but every so often you get a glimpse into another side of him, like in 'Tsst'. Stan and Kyle have shown slightly darker sides in several episodes, as has Butters and a few other characters. And what's wrong with the writing? South Park makes plenty of jokes, it is a comedy show.
Anyway, just wanted to throw in my two cents!
Re: *1204: Canada on Strike* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Apr 03, 2008 9:02 pm Offline
Wed Dec 31, 1969 5:00 pm33Melbourne, AU
hellochrissy wrote:
I don't want to be an R-Tard, but is the WGA a slam at the writer's guild strike? I hope to hell so...giggled my ass off!

Yes, it is.
Re: *1204: Canada on Strike* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Apr 03, 2008 10:34 pm Offline
Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:42 pm8
jshirland wrote:
There were some pretty funny parts, but I can't believe they would portray the WGA (Writer's Guild of America) that way. Do they not realize how much money producers make through iTunes? Don't they think writers are entitled to some of that? And don't they realize that with the new contract, that's exactly what they're getting? I don't know if it was intentional or not, but this episode was a horrible representation of the writer's strike, and that made it difficult for me to enjoy it.

I think the point they were trying to make is that the WGA as a union chose a sh*tty way of getting more compensation for its members. Kyle insisted that he thought they deserved the money, but the WGA went on strike without rationalizing the logistics of internet residuals. Ultimately, matt and trey disagree with union strikes that are started flippantly, and I totally respect their argument. They respect the writers, as they are writers themselves, but despise union leaders, such as "Stephen Abootman."
Listen. Listen! We finished running the tests.
Global warming is going to strike two days before the day after tomorrow.
Oh my god. That's today!
Re: *1204: Canada on Strike* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Apr 03, 2008 11:00 pm Offline
Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:43 pm3
I think so far this is the best episode this season,by far, I loved how they disguised (poorly but purposely) the WGA strike with Canada on strike... Adding to that mix the viral internet stars was a plus from then on...beautifully mixed both stories together...Some people are arguing that they portrayed the WGA in bad form but, most of us find it funny how it was shown because thats the point of view most of us saw it from...i dont care if in reality was the same or completly different...the episode was funny period, and im not gonna get overly critical and say it wasnt funny b/c the strike really stood for something...or whatever..lol...So...im not your friend guy, and im not your guy buddy...THAT was the best part of the episode...peace
Re: *1204: Canada on Strike* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Apr 03, 2008 11:21 pm Offline
Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:04 pm2
what, what in the butt... classic.

I'm so happy that Butters was in this episode. He is one of my very favorites and I hope they do another all Butter's episode soon.
Re: *1204: Canada on Strike* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Apr 04, 2008 1:56 am Offline
Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:12 am24Italy
where did the lonelygirl15 profile spoofer came out, at what point of the episode...?
Re: *1204: Canada on Strike* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Apr 04, 2008 2:02 am Offline
Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:12 am24Italy
"Chocolate Rain" ...I think maybe it's another word for "crap"?
Re: *1204: Canada on Strike* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Apr 04, 2008 2:51 am Offline
Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:08 am5
Chocolate rain refers to racism, not 'crap'
Re: *1204: Canada on Strike* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Apr 04, 2008 3:18 am Offline
Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:08 am2
This was, like almost always, an awesome episode. But I have to admit I didn't understand what that strike-thing was all about at first :) When is this WGA-thing gonna end? I missed one internet-character in the episode though, where was that guy reading the children's book upside down?

//Ophiax from Sweden
Re: *1204: Canada on Strike* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Apr 04, 2008 3:54 am OfflineBoard Moderator
  • YIM
Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:57 am17368Hollywood, CA
marco74 wrote:
where did the lonelygirl15 profile spoofer came out, at what point of the episode...?

She's the one girl sitting all alone in the background. She's an Internet star, natch.
My SP Fan Site.

Favorite Character: Chef (RIP, for reals this time)
Favorite Episode: Anyone with Butters in it.
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Re: *1204: Canada on Strike* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Apr 04, 2008 8:20 am Offline
Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:50 pm2
"... the writing sucks"? Feh... Develop a reasoned, categorical argument for why you think South Park has declined in humor recently, and cap it with "the writing sucks"?

I'd like to take a page out of the book of any of the WGA members who posted on discussion boards during the strike in response to anyone who might possibly have indicated a slightly negative opinion of the action, or who did not follow the union line one-hundred percent, and respond in kind, though with a slightly different slant:

I guess the WGA and its members have found out about the discussions on this board and have sent one of their shills to dump the party line of the union fat-cats into the mix. You know the ones -- the union officials who take home six figures a year regardless of the plight of the starving writer who holds the line and prays for an extra .3% while losing any sort of income for three months. The fat-cat union officials who have to justify their existences with some sort of action to give the illusion of caring about the drones whose dues pay their salaries, but who really don't have the slightest idea about the economics of internet distribution. So they send their rats/shills as plants to spread misinformation and dissent. Go away, shill!

Yes... On one board I counted the word "shill" about 300 times in one thread. Averaged about 7 times in any response to even the most innocuous post questioning the strike, like, "I don't understand what the big deal is. Why would you guys go on strike?" It was brutal...

Ironically, the union that supposedly fights against the tyrrany of the corporate overlord and his "Do what I say or you don't work for me" attitude is itself guilty of creating a "Do what I say or you can't work in this town" atmosphere.

It's a bunch of BS. The WGA strike of '07-'08 was a waste of time and will probably be repeated in three years when the guild discovers that they had no idea how best to deal with electronic distribution at this still relatively early stage in its development, even though it is their own damned fault that they struck prematurely.

This episode was brilliant in terms of allegory (like I said back on page 2). It did not treat the WGA strike kindly, because it was a silly strike. And the humor of the show does not always stick to a single level -- I like the variation between fart jokes one week and high-order, hilarious dialogue the next, and I especially like when all different levels are mixed together as often happens in the show -- like a scrumptious stew. Yummy.
Re: *1204: Canada on Strike* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Apr 04, 2008 9:39 am Offline
Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:30 am405
Good episode, I liked it.
Re: *1204: Canada on Strike* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Apr 04, 2008 10:38 am Offline
Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:12 pm1158New York, USA
I liked this episode, but not as much as last week’s. I thought it was good, though.

I can’t believe that “What, What (In the Butt)” video is an actual video on youtube. XD I thought Matt and Trey just made that up themselves. (‘Cause, really, didn’t that seem like something they’d come up with?)

I loved all of the youtube references. They totally nailed Chris Crocker. That was so funny. XD

And it was nice to see the return of Terrance and Phillip. I felt so bad for Ike and all of those Canadians.

Oh, and that friend/buddy/guy thing was so freaking hysterical. XDD

Ohh yeah, and I loved how Matt and Trey threw in that Family Guy reference just for some sh*ts and giggles. XD Awesome.
Re: *1204: Canada on Strike* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Apr 04, 2008 12:55 pm Offline
Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:44 pm1
Lol. Im from Denmark and i just thought this episode was funny as hell. haha. I didn´t know we Danes dressed like it was Oktoberfest and speaked with German accent xD. I also think that Americans have Denmark mixed with Norways Alphines.
But they where right that no one frekin knows where the hell Denmark is:D

But the Canadians of Europe... That was just mean:´(
Just joking^^ my brother and i was laughing for minutes:)

Sort by  
Page 8 of 12 177 posts Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next