Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 10 of 14 200 posts Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Re: *1206: Over Logging* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Apr 18, 2008 5:00 pm Offline
Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:20 pm134
Quote:
After 12 seasons, there's not much left the show can do that is controversial. When SP began it took the world by storm because it was so vulgar and crude. In the past 12 years pop culture has become much more profane. Also, for a lot of people, with the "blessing" that is the internet, most people have been exposed to a far greater number of shocking or outlandish things than compared to 1997.

I agree with you there. South Park nowadays attempts to get 50% of the humor out of shock, which isn't funny anymore for several reasons (such as the fact that it has gotten overused, and like what you said, people just aren't shocked as easily now). I suggest that Matt and Trey bring out the humor from wit and just plain goofiness (like the episode Manbearpig, but I seem to be the only person who ranks that episode in the top 10), only not too much goofiness, which can also become old and dull. Wit never gets stale, as long as it stays clever. I think that's how The Simpsons became the longest running primetime in history, in each episode I am very amused and intellectually entertained by the wittiness.
Re: *1206: Over Logging* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Apr 18, 2008 9:14 pm Offline
Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:58 pm8
South Park seems to be running a lot more pop-culture parodies/references more in the style of Family Guy - the stereotypic "pop-culture reference" show. I suppose this is one inevitability of running a show for as long as South Park has been on, with material and story-lines being "borrowed" and transposed on the characters of South Park in unique ways. But the show has to go back to its core, and has been straying some from that path.

In addition to the Isaac Hayes and Scientology story, a swirl of controversy surrounded the show over whether media outlets ought to show images/depictions of muhammed, which unabashedly revealed T&M's core political beliefs about censorship and freedom of speech. I think they also found something really meaningful in the Schiavo case, and the way they were able to communicate with clarity a message they felt strongly about right as the controversy was going on and many were still making up their minds on the issue. That is the kind of contribution South Park should strive for - funny but meaningful comedy.
Re: *1206: Over Logging* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Apr 18, 2008 11:10 pm Offline
Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:02 am2
LOL this is so like my family whenever the internet dies.
Re: *1206: Over Logging* Post-Air Discussion PostSat Apr 19, 2008 3:40 am Offline
Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:30 am7Baden, Austria
one bad thing about this season is, that every episode is mostly focusing on one person, unlike the good old stuff like volcano or others

and they could've made more/better funny things, for example cartman making a party when he hears that kyle is going away and then being depressed when he hears that they will come back as soon as the internet is repaired and trying to destroy the internet
I am austrian, that means i gotta be 16 to be able to buy alcohol, I'm 14 and I drink anyway. HAHAHA you gotta wait until you're 21 HAHAHA
Re: *1206: Over Logging* Post-Air Discussion PostSat Apr 19, 2008 4:10 pm Offline
Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:10 pm6
Viktorguy, kinda wrote:
one bad thing about this season is, that every episode is mostly focusing on one person, unlike the good old stuff like volcano or others

and they could've made more/better funny things, for example cartman making a party when he hears that kyle is going away and then being depressed when he hears that they will come back as soon as the internet is repaired and trying to destroy the internet

...I think they did that with Smug Alert already, bud. And it was Stan who left in this episode, not Kyle. But I see what you mean, they could have done something more with the boys!
~*Jeezis bro, did your lip just fart?*~
Re: *1206: Over Logging* Post-Air Discussion PostSat Apr 19, 2008 4:21 pm Offline
Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:16 am2
This episode was great. I love how they worked stuff in from all different movies I thought it was hilarious. I am not liking how all the boys keep getting separated. I'm a patriots fan too so I actually love how they always work in the Broncos. They always write about their views and I think its great. Plus they get away with murder because its a cartoon. :assface:
Re: *1206: Over Logging* Post-Air Discussion PostSat Apr 19, 2008 4:45 pm Offline
Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:53 pm122Austria
Overall, an average episode, as expected. It wasn't bad - it had a few good jokes in it, and I felt entertained, - also liked the Stan-Shelly-interaction, but it could have been a lot better. As much as like Randy, and as much as he has made me laugh in the past - he's a good secondary character, but not really that suitable as a main character. He was funny in MLNW and FES, among other episodes, but that was due to the fact that he only played a minor role in this eps.
I loved how the internet was portrayed and i got the joke, but I still think the resolution could have been funnier: Something crazy like in "It hits the fan" or "South Park is Gay"

DidYourLipJustFart wrote:
they could have done something more with the boys!

I second that.

1. The eps seem to have improved over the course of this season (I liked the last three more than the first three) and became funnier, but this season I'm severely missing the character interaction that adds so much to the series.
2. Ironically, Kyle, Cartman, Butters, Garrison and Randy are all my favorite characters, so I should be happy that they're used all the time, but I miss some of the minor characters. What happened to Tweek, Barbrady, Jimbo and Ned, Jesus, Mephesto, Timmy and Jimmy? Also, Stan seems to fade more and more into the background. I kinda miss them, though I'm already glad that Cartman's role was reduced for a change.

6/7 out of 10
Pip: Besides, I hate french people.
Last edited by A SouthPark Orange on Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: *1206: Over Logging* Post-Air Discussion PostSat Apr 19, 2008 4:48 pm Offline
Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:25 pm1
This season is getting better and better! But the Britney episode was horrible... not mainly the real episode, instead the cus of the fact that i had to watch a half head all the time with wierd noises coming out of it, that thing just ruined it for me.

I dont think SP is getting worse nowadays, but thats true its much more different from the older episodes. In many ways, that is a great thing, but there is one problem: the title is South Park, because it originaly is about the town. But there are always global stories with one or some South Park inhabitants involved TOO... I loved the South Park ABOUT South Park.

In interviews, the guys always say they really would like to know what makes their show so popular, but they really dont know. Some tips for you two: actual happenings are far less important , find stories only happening in the town what is in the title , dont try to be more brutal, maybe the world has changed since 1997 but we still love your original style, killing Kenny in every episode would be still funny, less action and less pro animation with more funny dialogs would be still funny... dont change with the time, that SP wouldnt be the same masterpiece we, fans fell in love so many years ago.

Greetings from Hungary! ;)

(oh and please make an episode with UFO's again, we wont think you copy X Files :-)
Re: *1206: Over Logging* Post-Air Discussion PostSat Apr 19, 2008 6:59 pm Offline
Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:52 pm3Cleveland , Ohio USA
:timmy: omfg i so relate to this episode..its like i cant turn it off!
sweet
Re: *1206: Over Logging* Post-Air Discussion PostSun Apr 20, 2008 10:18 am Offline
Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:20 pm176
I don't understand how some people can be bored by a 22 minute episode! I don't think South Park has started sucking, I think some of the fans have.
People totally miss the point when they want everything to be 10/10. Why bother watching TV if you're gonna be a bunch of critics who don't actually let yourself enjoy it? Or expect yourself to laugh? Laughter shouldn't be some commodity, it should mean something. How do you sleep if the work they make isn't being allowed to take the channels they intend!?
C'mon, guy!

I'd just like to see what Mr. Garrisons going to be up to eventually. And I'd like to see Starvin Marvin, or another musical episode, or something really conceptual and strange... like a South Park vacation destination video, or one thats a series of shorts, or one where no one talks (although that may easily suck ass)

(And I pretty much agree with livinout)
Re: *1206: Over Logging* Post-Air Discussion PostSun Apr 20, 2008 10:33 am Offline
Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:20 pm176
Upon reading some other posts... hell, I'll admit that the show has gone into excess. I still enjoy it, but its hard to imagine where it could go but back to basics.

They're addicted to fancy digital stuff like Kenny is addicted to flowers, quite ironic. I can't imagine them having a more creative excess on the show than Major Boobage or Imaginationland, that is, in aesthetic regards, I even felt when Imaginationland aired, that that was the tip of the mountain, in the clouds. Its time to step down it, as quickly and gracefully as they can. It only makes sense.

When you get Mac bays and crazy stuff like that, like the hero with the awesome sword, he only uses all the powers in it when he really needs to.

So, as result, they have to go into the valley before they go up a new mountain (that is, if they want to), which means episodes that feel much more old fashioned. And they've taken a few steps towards that, hopefully they follow totally through.

I think it does need more emotion. Back to basics. Thats about it. All the cerebral stuff will fall in place better if they do that.
Re: *1206: Over Logging* Post-Air Discussion PostSun Apr 20, 2008 5:16 pm Offline
Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:36 pm11269
I was going to respond angrily to your first post, but then your second post basically agreed with what I've been saying so we're all good.:p
That's how it's down here on the farm!
Re: *1206: Over Logging* Post-Air Discussion PostSun Apr 20, 2008 10:51 pm Offline
Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:26 pm3
You people complain too much, south park is such a great show that some of you are so used to great stuff but you can't always have every episode be amazing. I personally think that every season of south park has been good with the exception of season 4 and this season, while not the best is still good so far.

Tonsil Trouble- 7.3/10
Britney's New Look 6.2/10
Major Boobage 9.5/10
Canada on Strike 9/10
Eek, a Penis 6.5/10
Over Logging 9.4/10 this episode is better than people say it was
Re: *1206: Over Logging* Post-Air Discussion PostTue Apr 22, 2008 2:44 am Offline
Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:36 am1
I liked that episode it mad e me laugh like crazy when they switched into the Grapes part. I don't know how Matt & Trey do it week after week. those guys are rediculous.
Re: *1206: Over Logging* Post-Air Discussion PostTue Apr 22, 2008 9:50 pm Offline
Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:37 pm41
Somebody slug Shelley for a change....

Sort by  
Page 10 of 14 200 posts Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next