Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 6 of 17 250 posts Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 17  Next
meh, it was ok PostThu Apr 16, 2009 2:49 am Offline
Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:48 pm4
looks like some one was watching too much outer-limits episodes,lol

love randy, so it made it bareable to watch, but i was kinda puzzled into "where are they going with this" at first when they nuked finland i thought it was going to go into the nuking testing of early news related subjects. Then after the failing of the test, i thought of outer limits episode "after-life" on hulo.com with clancy brown, he's a really good actor in that episode
http://www.hulu.com/watch/4496/outer-limits-afterlife

all in all, thought it could be better.
Re: *1306: Pinewood Derby* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Apr 16, 2009 3:08 am Offline
Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:23 pm1
nice episode!
power
Re: *1306: Pinewood Derby* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Apr 16, 2009 3:53 am Offline
Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:53 pm122Austria
I don't know, it wasn't boring (unlike the previous episode) the story was alright and I liked previous episodes with aliens. The only problem was a lack of good jokes: I think the only time I laughed was when the kid said something like "he's going to be alright" after its father shot himself. "Starvin' Marvin in space" and "Cancelled" are better by a mile because they were actually funny. There wasn't anything wrong with this episode (except Randy is used way too often nowadays) but there weren't any remarkable jokes or funny situations.

P.S. Has anybody noticed too that instead of Putin there should be Dmitry Medvedev as the head of state. Probably they did that on purpose, though.
Pip: Besides, I hate french people.
Last edited by A SouthPark Orange on Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: *1306: Pinewood Derby* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Apr 16, 2009 4:02 am
This episode was fantastic to this science fiction fan :)

First, I've read posts that they did not see Cartman in this episode.

Here he is watching Stan race his Pinewood Derby Car:

And here he (Cartman) is later on:

(Don't forget to right/control-click to see the entire images below):

So Cartman was in the episode.

I like all the Star Trek references and the allusion to Star Wars with Randy disguising himself as Princess Leia Organa. This whole space idea reminded me not only of episode 101, Cartman gets an anal probe, but ep. 412-Fourth Grade, where Timmy, with the help of the two Star Trek geeks, goes back in time using the geeks' Star Trek technology in trying to repeat the 3rd grade. Timmy overshot the mark a little bit in 412.

triplemultiplex wrote:
When they had the aliens set up the force field around Earth, they missed a golden opportunity for an old school Star Trek reference. The aliens should've put up the force field Tholian Web-style. That would've been sweet.

Actually, IMHO, the reference was there, but the Tholian Web was from Captain Kirk days that slowly tried to encapsulate the Starship Enterprise in the web. For me, the reference was a direct reference to Star Trek: The Next Generation, Episode 1, "Encounter at Farpoint," where "Q" instantly put his alien shining grid around the Starship Enterprise-D, just as our aliens in South Park Episode 1306 also did instantly around the entire planet Earth:

And speaking of spaceships, remember the "commercial" MnT included in "Free Hat" episode 609? They talked about digitalizing the spaceship from Episode 101 like this (looks similar to tonight's episode's ship, don't you
think?):

And if you read the clippings on Stan's wall, (I will provide links), there is a reference to the Pinewood Derby that it was not the Boy Scouts (I thought the boys were to young for the Boy Scouts) but that it was for the younger division, the Webelos.

And another clipping on Stan's wall refers indirectly to SP Ep. 101: controversy amount UFO enthusiasts who dispute the occasion represents our actual 'first contact,' citing several collections of blurry photographs, shaky . . . . footage, and personal accounts of abductions and anal prob-

Link

This episode also reminded me of a classic Twilight Zone episode involving the interaction of aliens with earthlings. But the reference to join the Federation of Planets with those inhabitants who created WARP speed is classic Star Trek.

Season 13 is shaping up just fine. I really enjoyed this episode. It showed the true nature of man a la Randy, who acted that way to his own benefit, not knowing that he was being tested (if he knew this, Randy would have acted in a different way). The plot development made a lot of sense for this episode.

10/10
Last edited by BigCamera4892 on Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
Re: *1306: Pinewood Derby* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Apr 16, 2009 4:06 am Offline
Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:58 pm23
SajiNoKami wrote:
I was entertained... only has China Problem, really bummed me out... *shiver*

Seriously. That is the only episode that just made my blood boil after seeing it. All the other eps that people seem to hate like Pip, Not Without My Anus, and a Million Little Fibers I can defend. But not China Problem.

I actually really enjoyed this ep. It was a very simple storyline but that worked well in its case. I could see how this episode would offer nothing to the anti-Randyers, though.

PS: I think I love you, BigCamera4892.
Re: *1306: Pinewood Derby* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Apr 16, 2009 4:22 am Offline
Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:36 pm11269
7.5/10.

I liked the earliest part of the episode. Then when the alien showed up, I was very meh. It got better once it turned into something very much like Goodfellas. Overall, I can't really give it an 8/10 as I don't think it is that good, but it is the best sixth episode of a season since season 10.

Also, to the guys/gals who are trying to say this episode is actually a metaphor for the relative uselessness of cash or EBAL GOVERNMENT:
No. Trey Parker and the writers, when they want to make a point, are very blunt and direct about it. This time, it is a case of seeing what you want to see. If you want to find hidden meanings, you will always find them. It is like the fools who believe "The Ring" was not really mocking Disney but rather the entire infrastructure of American Media and was a call to arms to tear it down, or they say it is really about how media is trying to destroy faith. Or the people who think "The Coon" is really about the unending struggle between a society that wants justice and instutions that value law above it.

No. If you see these things, then what it is is you got a wiff of something and then ran with it. "The Ring" is about the Jonas Brothers being untalented douches under the rule of Disney and Kenny wanting a BJ. "The Coon" is a prody of superhero movies.

People have to realize that Trey Parker doesn't often know how the story will end until the weekend or Monday. "Pinewood Derby" is not a political or social commentary on the government sof the world or the monatery system. It is about Randy doing something he shouldn't be able to do, a derby being overblown, aliens, and a slight Goodfellas parody. I'll bet you dollars to dimes that they only had everything up to the alien getting shanked by Saturday and came up with the rest on Sunday and Monday as something they'd find fun.

South Park can make excellent political and social commentary. However, when they do, they flatout say it and there isn't subterfuge at work. As such, people who seem to think there is some deeper meaning to the episode are seeing what they want to see.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
Re: *1306: Pinewood Derby* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Apr 16, 2009 4:24 am Offline
Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:19 am1
Nice ep, Finland though has had woman as president as of 2000 march 1 and will be until 2012.
Re: *1306: Pinewood Derby* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Apr 16, 2009 4:34 am Offline
  • YIM
Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:46 pm49Boise, I-da-ho
ShaneHaughey wrote:
7.5/10.

I liked the earliest part of the episode. Then when the alien showed up, I was very meh. It got better once it turned into something very much like Goodfellas. Overall, I can't really give it an 8/10 as I don't think it is that good, but it is the best sixth episode of a season since season 10.

Also, to the guys/gals who are trying to say this episode is actually a metaphor for the relative uselessness of cash or EBAL GOVERNMENT:
No. Trey Parker and the writers, when they want to make a point, are very blunt and direct about it. This time, it is a case of seeing what you want to see. If you want to find hidden meanings, you will always find them. It is like the fools who believe "The Ring" was not really mocking Disney but rather the entire infrastructure of American Media and was a call to arms to tear it down, or they say it is really about how media is trying to destroy faith. Or the people who think "The Coon" is really about the unending struggle between a society that wants justice and instutions that value law above it.

No. If you see these things, then what it is is you got a wiff of something and then ran with it. "The Ring" is about the Jonas Brothers being untalented douches under the rule of Disney and Kenny wanting a BJ. "The Coon" is a prody of superhero movies.

People have to realize that Trey Parker doesn't often know how the story will end until the weekend or Monday. "Pinewood Derby" is not a political or social commentary on the government sof the world or the monatery system. It is about Randy doing something he shouldn't be able to do, a derby being overblown, aliens, and a slight Goodfellas parody. I'll bet you dollars to dimes that they only had everything up to the alien getting shanked by Saturday and came up with the rest on Sunday and Monday as something they'd find fun.

South Park can make excellent political and social commentary. However, when they do, they flatout say it and there isn't subterfuge at work. As such, people who seem to think there is some deeper meaning to the episode are seeing what they want to see.

Congrats!!! You said what I would have liked to!! I just can't get that many words out at one time... LOL. But I agree with you 100%!!!
Do you like fishsticks? Then you must be a gay fish!
Favorite Character: Butters of course!
Favorite Episode: Fishsticks now... Was Fellowship of the rings.
Re: *1306: Pinewood Derby* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Apr 16, 2009 5:00 am Offline
Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:48 pm6
This is my favorite episode

– and the best one EVER !
Re: *1306: Pinewood Derby* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Apr 16, 2009 5:04 am Offline
Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:50 pm4
This is for one of the best episodes ever in south park. Man, I couldnt stop laughing :lol: :lol:
I like the pointless comedy in south park^^
The bird is the word.
Re: *1306: Pinewood Derby* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Apr 16, 2009 5:05 am OfflineBoard Moderator
  • YIM
Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:57 am17369Hollywood, CA
Mackerni wrote:
So you are deleting my posts now?

Isn't that kind of rude? :roll:

Anyways, I liked this episode, but I hope there's a part two.

If your post was the one talking about the episode in the AVATAR CREATOR THREAD, then yes, I deleted it because it was in the wrong thread and I wasn't about to move it to the right thread. Thanks for finding the right thread though. :)

If that wasn't your post, then I have no knowledge of your posts being deleted.
My SP Fan Site.

Favorite Character: Chef (RIP, for reals this time)
Favorite Episode: Anyone with Butters in it.
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Re: *1306: Pinewood Derby* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Apr 16, 2009 5:05 am Offline
Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:19 pm10139Billy bonka's amazing Drug Factory
Great episode! 8.9/10
I Wasn't choking you I was just hugging your neck

R.I.P Chef for realz this time

( chef joined the sith so why don't you?)

R.I.P Billy Bonka
Re: *1306: Pinewood Derby* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Apr 16, 2009 5:08 am Offline
Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:01 am1
Stinke wrote:
Nice ep, Finland though has had woman as president as of 2000 march 1 and will be until 2012.

So whats going on in Finland. Was it random pick, or was there some context.
Re: *1306: Pinewood Derby* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Apr 16, 2009 5:13 am Offline
Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:08 am1
I realise this episode's underlying theme was more vague than usual, but it's not about "Ooh, don't tell lies, lies are bad, m'kay", it's about using performance enhacing drugs, the justifications for it and the spiral of bull$hit that then follows, and finally getting banned from ever participating again.
Re: *1306: Pinewood Derby* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Apr 16, 2009 5:28 am Offline
Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:15 pm4
I thought it was funny because because they cheated on a pinewood derby which created magnitude of problem's. Especially when Finland got nuked.

Sort by  
Page 6 of 17 250 posts Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 17  Next