Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 22 of 22 320 posts Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
Re: *1508: Ass Burgers* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Jun 14, 2013 6:23 pm Offline
Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:07 pm8
Unassumption wrote:
They ridiculed cancer and AIDS and you didn't find it offensive, but aspergers is where you draw the line? Very Chef-like of you...

I know that it's been awhile since I replied (and my last reply was all over the place), I want to clarify what I wrote before.

You missed a lot of the stuff I wrote where I was praising the episode for being generous and clever. I was mainly talking about how when the SP fans with AS started sharing their personal experiences in the response to the episode, a lot of the hardcore SP fans overreacted to their reactions. One guy went so far as to accuse them of being Scientologists and Muslim fanatics, which came completely out nowhere. I wonder what happened to him... I was mainly trying to defend the SP fans with AS from the other SP fans who were tearing them apart just for talking about how the episode reflects AS. I was trying to sensibly moderate the overreactions of one group towards the other, so I was surprised when you thought I was being Chef-like. I never had a problem with the show. It's just that some hardcore fans act more like the "We Don't Take Kindly to Your Types Around Here" bar guys then they realize, so they end up becoming what TP and MS are satirizing: they end up saying "Well We Don't Take Kindly To Folks Who Don't Take Kindly!"

I hope I'm sounding more clear than I was before, because I don't like causing misunderstandings by accident.

Anyway, it wasn't that the SP fans with AS were offended. They just wanted more coverage of their disability, to be in on the joke. I agree with the last poster, that by suggesting that people with AS see reality for what it actually is, the episode is more empowering than most realized. It still amazes me that my diagnosis has such widespread notice, and was given the honor to be the subject of Stan's second tearful episode. I still think AS deserves more exploration, because I bet TP and MS must have known a lot of people with AS when they were in school. There a lot of us about, we are a goldmine for jokes.
PostFri Aug 30, 2013 11:12 am Offline
Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:22 pm2
Poor Cartman, and his assburgers disease.
Poor Stan PostSun Sep 08, 2013 11:20 pm Offline
Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:00 pm2
He has gone through so much in his life. But I am also a depressed person in ways. Min is mostly with going on in life. And being bullied does not help me a bit.
Brilliant PostSat Jan 04, 2014 7:01 am Offline
Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:26 am0
The genius of this episode is the blatant miss of the underlying issue which is never stated in the episode at all. Misdiagnosed as a "Debby Downer" told to "snap out of it" told he was a "Cynical assh*le" and then told he had Asperger's, which is so wildly misdiagnosed in this world that even the people who were told they had it, didn't believe it was an actual thing.

People who know what it is called it out in the first 15 minutes, Stan suffers severe depression. And without help, the ending of this episode happens.

And then it turns out in the most obvious way possible, that depression may cause you to see the world as it is, because people are trying to feed you a bunch of sh*t (ala cartman)

long dragged out comment. the underlying message behind this two part episode was just so freakin' good.
Re: *1508: Ass Burgers* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Feb 06, 2014 6:52 pm Offline
Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:53 pm87
My parents told me i had aspergers...

what do they do in the first place
Favorite Character(s): Kyle and Kenny
Favorite Episode: Scott Tenorman Must Die
Favorite Season(s): 1, 2, 3, and 8
First Episode Seen: Summer Sucks (officially)

Sort by  
Page 22 of 22 320 posts Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22