Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 4 of 10 142 posts Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
Re: *1514: The Poor Kid* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Nov 17, 2011 8:26 am Offline
Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:44 am1219Bedford (U.K)
Quote:
did, though! He put the Pabst in the fridge to got the foster parents arrested and the children found. Kenny finally got to be the hero

Yeah he did that but it was Cartman who informed Child protective services so really it was Kenny & cartman.
Kyle: Why? How could you do this? There are people starving in Alabama and you give Cartman a million dollars?

Cartman: Line? Lines! I HATE LINES!!!
Re: *1514: The Poor Kid* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Nov 17, 2011 9:20 am Offline
Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:54 pm236
James--76 wrote:
Quote:
did, though! He put the Pabst in the fridge to got the foster parents arrested and the children found. Kenny finally got to be the hero

Yeah he did that but it was Cartman who informed Child protective services so really it was Kenny & cartman.

True about Cartman, but he didn't inform Child Services to help any of the children, he did it because he was pissed that they only had Dr Pepper to drink. Cartman just being Cartman again. It was Kenny/Mysterion who drove the nail in those foster parents coffin.
The whole relationship between Kenny and his sister Karen was both sweet and touching. Karen looks to be in 3rd grade, (maybe 2nd), and the bully girl looks to be in 5th or 6th grade. So I'm not too put off with Mysterion going "Dark Knight" on her ass and dispensing some justice. (It seemed like the bully picked on all the foster kids.) I may be thinking to much here, but from the first scene with Mysterion and Karen, I got the feeling that the reason Kenny started Mysterion in the first place was to protect Karen. He couldn't protect her as Kenny but he could as Mysterion, (ie. confronting his parents, etc.)
The running jokes between Cartman and the counsler were drawn out but funny. Funnier still was the fact neither thought the others jokes were funny. ("Here's my headshot" LOL) And Cartman setting his mother up thinking he could pick where his foster home would be was classic Eric being selfishly stupid. "Hawaii, it doesn't have to be on the beach but within walking distance."
They seemed to lose track of Kevin early on in the story, he was just there in the background for most of it. But I'd sacrifice his scene time to keep the Kenny/Karen storyline intact. (sorry Kevin, maybe next time.) I have a feeling Karen would show up more in future episodes then Kevin ever would though.
Finally, Kenny's death by a giant reptilian bird, (who may or may not be the supreme ruler of the universe), easily rates in the top 5 of all Kenny death scenes. I was right there with Stan saying "What the f*ck" LOL.
Great season ender, 9.5/10, can't wait til season 16 :chaos:
Re: *1514: The Poor Kid* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Nov 17, 2011 9:48 am Offline
  • YIM
Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:50 pm1164I'm not in the mirror, I'm inside you
OMG I loved this episode! I was cheering so much when Mystserion showed up. Aww, it was so sweet how he helped out his sister, this was a really great way to end the season. This episode made the news that South Park is continuing to season 20 even more awesome! :mrgreen: Aw I was kinda sad when the big reptilian bird ate him at the end, but at least we know he's coming back :D
Psycho Mysterion tattoo

Poor Kenny, trapped forever on my back...

Ah, the memories...

Favourite character: Kenny
Favourite episode: Mysterion Rises
Re: *1514: The Poor Kid* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Nov 17, 2011 10:08 am Offline
Tue May 24, 2011 1:49 pm3867In range of my WiFi
Each of the major characters was incorporated, in a way that felt natural and to best use them, even if some only got a line. The one-shot characters served a purpose that couldn't be provided by existing characters, especially given the plot. It used satire of a recent news story to make a more generally aplicable, lasting joke / point, though that was the weakest part I think. There was nothing that felt like a 'repeat joke' because the yo mamma, agnosticism and pen state stuff was varied so much. Characters were developed, humor stemmed naturally from them and their interactions. Kenny is really coming into his own as a character and a badass one at that. There were many jokes that called back to other parts of the episode tying it all up in a bow. It set things like pabs blue ribbon up and they played off. Agnosticism rarely gets joked about, and certainly uncertain is an oxymoron so inherently funny, so they got to be pioneers in taking the mickey out of them. Lianne's development from a crack whore, which I found made her a boring xerox of sharon, was finally referenced at least. Trey got to sing, a new song - but the spotlight wasn't hogged by Cartman. Cartman's character is fully understood now by the writers and it looks like they're moving into fertile territory with Kenny. Seeing how people from out of town react to Cartman was refreshing. My favourite episode in some time.
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
Re: *1514: The Poor Kid* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Nov 17, 2011 11:37 am Offline
Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:15 pm5110
Unassumption wrote:
refreshing. My favourite episode in some time.

Everything that worked for you didn't work for me. The penn state, yo mama, white trash in trouble, pabst beer, agnostisicm - it all felt like they were repeating stuff that wasn't funny to begin with.

Sorry to be so grumpy about it, but I always have high expectations for end of season episodes, and this one was disappointing. They can't all be winners.

That about wraps it up for me.
Re: *1514: The Poor Kid* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Nov 17, 2011 11:45 am Offline
Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:45 pm94The YAY Area!
maxbjr wrote:
I may be thinking to much here, but from the first scene with Mysterion and Karen, I got the feeling that the reason Kenny started Mysterion in the first place was to protect Karen. He couldn't protect her as Kenny but he could as Mysterion, (ie. confronting his parents, etc.)

That's a pretty probable hypothesis actually. In the Coon 2 story arc, you can see Kenny using his Mysterion alter-ego to gain leverage over his parents for good purposes like demanding them stop using drugs (and selfish ones as well, like allowance raises).

Given how close Kenny seems to be with Karen, he definitely would have used his alter-ego to comfort her and protect her from her parents' abuses.

maxbjr wrote:
They seemed to lose track of Kevin early on in the story, he was just there in the background for most of it. But I'd sacrifice his scene time to keep the Kenny/Karen storyline intact. (sorry Kevin, maybe next time.) I have a feeling Karen would show up more in future episodes then Kevin ever would though.

I don't think Kenny is close with Kevin. Kevin appears to be of middle school age since he's of similar size to Shelly, so there is probably a sizable age gap between the two. Besides, Kevin seems to be only be a kid version of his trailer trash father Stuart in terms of personality. Not a very interesting character if you ask me.

Favorite Characters: KYLE -- STAN -- WENDY -- BUTTERS
Favorite Character to hate: C A R T M A N !!!

Favorite Episode: THE LIST
Re: *1514: The Poor Kid* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Nov 17, 2011 11:56 am Offline
Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:43 pm496
One of the best eps this season! Loved the return of Mysterion. Him and Karen had so many "awe" moments I loved it! Sweet to see Kenny looking out for his baby sister.

Cartman was hilarious as always... the singing and dancing about the poor kid... and him sitting down having a serious talk with his mother about bringing income into the household. effing funny as hell!

The agnostic parents and the child protective services agent... made me laugh so many times. And I don't care what anyone says about the "mama" jokes and the penn state jokes... i giggled at all of them. it's what South Park does... they take a joke and beat it to death :lol:
Re: *1514: The Poor Kid* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Nov 17, 2011 12:04 pm Offline
Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:00 pm937
maxbjr wrote:
I may be thinking to much here, but from the first scene with Mysterion and Karen, I got the feeling that the reason Kenny started Mysterion in the first place was to protect Karen.

It's entirely possible that was a big part of his motivation. I got a similar read from that scene.

I wish there had been a little more Kenny and a little less Cartman. His song-and-dance yo mama schtick was funny for about twenty seconds, and shouldn't have gone much longer than that. Still, getting to see Mysterion again was fantastic. I've thought before that the best way to develop Kenny's character would be through his alter ego, so I'm glad they did.

Is the White Trash in Trouble thing a specific show parody, or is it a just a generic Cops-esque show?
To believe in something just because you're afraid of the consequences if you don't believe in something is no reason to believe in something.
Re: *1514: The Poor Kid* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Nov 17, 2011 12:11 pm Offline
Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:15 pm5110
NeuroHeart wrote:
Is the White Trash in Trouble thing a specific show parody, or is it a just a generic Cops-esque show?

I can't say for sure, but I think it's just cops, unless there's a series that targets the deep south. :lol:
Re: *1514: The Poor Kid* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Nov 17, 2011 12:37 pm Offline
Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:44 am1219Bedford (U.K)
Quote:
True about Cartman, but he didn't inform Child Services to help any of the children, he did it because he was pissed that they only had Dr Pepper to drink. Cartman just being Cartman again

Yes sorry you are right Cartman would never be that selfless my bad :oops:
Kyle: Why? How could you do this? There are people starving in Alabama and you give Cartman a million dollars?

Cartman: Line? Lines! I HATE LINES!!!
Re: *1514: The Poor Kid* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Nov 17, 2011 1:03 pm Offline
Tue May 24, 2011 2:30 pm2
I've been watching South Park religiously since season 8, and just joined the website, this is my first post.

I thought this episode was fantastic and was a great finale for an amazing season. Any doubts people had about South Park should now be gone in my opinion! This season was by far one of my favorites! Top 3 for sure!

Did anyone else a crack pipe on Mysterion's belt when he dives down to defend Karen?
Re: *1514: The Poor Kid* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Nov 17, 2011 1:08 pm Offline
Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:27 am58
I need a Mysterion pennant I can wave. :D
Re: *1514: The Poor Kid* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Nov 17, 2011 2:25 pm Offline
Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:32 pm28
I really loved this episode, but the only thing that makes it a 9.5/10 were the Penn State jokes (got stale after the second time), and Cartman's Yo Mama jokes.

Since I am a fan of Kenny, I died during this episode. When Kenny was Mysterion and protected his sister, I was so happy. I get to see how protective Kenny is of his sister, and Mysterion gets to develop more.

I loved the Dr. Pepper joke-my sister drinks it all the time :P

Overall, I loved this episode and I think we need more of these, where the characters become more devekoped instead of stupid random plots like Humancentipad.

Oh, and about Kenny dying, I haven't seen him die in a while, so when this (SPOILER) giant turkey randomly appeared, I'm like WTF?? I was so surprised when Kenny died I didn't even realize that Stan and Kyle didn't say "Oh my god, they killed Kenny...You bastards!"

RIP Kenny... Until next season :zombiekenny:
Mrs. Kenny McCormick
Re: *1514: The Poor Kid* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Nov 17, 2011 3:16 pm Offline
Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:34 pm635Illinois, USA
I think the reason Kevin didn't play a big role is well, take a look at the first scene - Kevin is pretty much said to be, like both of his parents, drunk (although oddly, Carol wasn't drunk this time, though multiple previous appearances portray her as one) and Kevin is the one to initiate physical fighting, attempting to strangle his father.

I'm a little disappointed he wasn't used much, but he had lines at least. I was more so blown away by how much he spoke in the first scene and how he was silent from then on afterward.

The only real fuck-up is Kevin's missing at Agnostic Dinner. They must not have known where he was :P

Really, like I said, my only true disappointment was confirmation of the children being physically abused. In all my years obsessing over the McCormicks, that's generally been my biggest beef with other portrayals. Still, Kevin's the only one who actually hurts anybody besides Stuart and Carol hurting each other, so food for thought there.

I do hope, maybe, this new look on the family might give them a little more usage. Considering how often we see the Marsh, Stotch and Cartman families, it'd be nice for the McCormicks to be integrated into the fold a little more. Compared to the other main boys' families they've been horribly neglected themselves.
I don't have any petty self-centered sh*t to link to right now :o
Re: *1514: The Poor Kid* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Nov 17, 2011 3:38 pm Offline
Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:43 pm3
Dude that episode made me feel every emotion
I was spazzing when mysterion came in, and kenny's little sister's voice is soo just ... adorable DLFJSFsl the safe room kind of freaked me out a bit though.... .u.
ok... they need to make more episodes like this.
this was total win.
although i wont be perfectly pleased until I learn why no one remembers why kenny dies :c

Sort by  
Page 4 of 10 142 posts Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next