Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 7 of 11 157 posts Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Re: *1603: Faith Hilling* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Mar 29, 2012 7:30 pm Offline
Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:42 pm433
I swear, the moment I saw the train the first time, I was expecting to die any moment.

Oh well, there will be another time.
Re: *1603: Faith Hilling* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Mar 29, 2012 7:46 pm Offline
Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:03 pm596The Further
I LOVED this episode, all the more evidence that I relate to Kyle the most. Good to see Cartman and Kyle siding on something!

I love the whole thing w the 'pandering'.
“The basis of all reasoning is the mind's awareness of itself. What we think, the external objects we perceive, are all like actors that come on and off stage. But our consciousness, the stage itself, is always present to us,” Trey Parker
Last edited by CartmansWhore on Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: *1603: Faith Hilling* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Mar 29, 2012 9:48 pm Offline
Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:26 am585
The idea was nice. Internet memes are f*cking stupid and their rise to popularity on the internet is a sign of cultural decline. The way they executed it was poor, and it became a mess.

They made their message way moe complicated than it needed to be, which Trey acknowledges at the end with the reporter. The overriding message seemed to be "I'm too old for this meme sh*t."

Niels0827 wrote:
They went overboard with the recycled footage of that cat video. I saw that video years ago. It's friggin' old.

This is exactly the kind of crap they're making fun of in this episode. The obsession everyone has with being culturally relevant by conforming to the latest meme/trend.

"Gawd, way to be relevant, South Park! Using footage from an internet video that was posted years ago! That's so 2000 and LATE!"
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
Re: *1603: Faith Hilling* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Mar 29, 2012 10:04 pm Offline
Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:29 pm5Perth, Western Australia
Still can't stop laughing at this! Nice work, guys!!! Definitely my favourite so far! :)
Re: *1603: Faith Hilling* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Mar 29, 2012 11:49 pm OfflineBoard Moderator
  • YIM
Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:57 am17368Hollywood, CA
Brendle wrote:
The idea was nice. Internet memes are f*cking stupid and their rise to popularity on the internet is a sign of cultural decline. The way they executed it was poor, and it became a mess.

They made their message way moe complicated than it needed to be, which Trey acknowledges at the end with the reporter. The overriding message seemed to be "I'm too old for this meme sh*t."

Niels0827 wrote:
They went overboard with the recycled footage of that cat video. I saw that video years ago. It's friggin' old.

This is exactly the kind of crap they're making fun of in this episode. The obsession everyone has with being culturally relevant by conforming to the latest meme/trend.

"Gawd, way to be relevant, South Park! Using footage from an internet video that was posted years ago! That's so 2000 and LATE!"

Sometimes, there's no relevance in the episode. :) Paging "The Tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs." Paging "The Tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs."
My SP Fan Site.

Favorite Character: Chef (RIP, for reals this time)
Favorite Episode: Anyone with Butters in it.
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Re: *1603: Faith Hilling* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Mar 30, 2012 3:20 am Offline
Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:17 am1
this episode is so f*cking funny!
I love this show.
Re: *1603: Faith Hilling* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Mar 30, 2012 6:41 am Offline
Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:26 am585
I'm going to respond to a post made in the pre-air discussion thread:

Jerseyshoreaholic wrote:
this new episode of south park is about internet memes but its like not even about internet memes .. its so dumb .. if they woulda had like ... Scumbag Steve on there or even like Pedobear or like idk Socially Awkward Penguin it woulda been funny but instead they f*ckin made it based off plankin & tebowing and all that sh*t..such an utter and complete disappointment of ripping on current trends .. absolutely missed the whole point .. is it possible Trey and Matt are turning too old.. just like when a parent attempts to use a new slang word the wrong way ?? IT DOESNT WORK AND ISNT COOL. The idea couldve turned out to an epicly hilarious episode .. go back to your reseach and see what a meme is .. i mean for Christ Sake there is a new meme decicated to the Super Cool Ski Instructor .. get it right next time guys.

First off, let me get this cheap shot/ad hominem out of the way: you like Jersey Shore. Matt and Trey made fun of that idiotic, mindless show, along with its fans, so I'm sure they give a damn that they lost YOU as a fan.

Funny that YOU call Matt/Trey out on "missing the point." You've COMPLETELY missed the point of this episode. It's clear that Trey is showing his utter disdain for idiotic meme culture on the internet, and yet you compare them to parents who want to be cool??? Newsflash: Trey/Matt don't WANT to be cool. They are saying that if it's "cool" to meme, then society is in the toilet.

Hence the absolutely hilarious parody of all those cheesy, old anti-smoking/anti-alcohol videos we all had to see when we were kids to convince us not to smoke. By replacing smoking with memes, it's showing us how absurd it is what we consider to be "hip" and trendy nowadays.

No, they don't WANT to research what a meme is, because they're too old and mature to give a damn. No, they don't give a sh*t about Super Cool Ski Instructor or Socially Awkward Penguin or whatever unfunny, childish crap that amuses you.
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
Re: *1603: Faith Hilling* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Mar 30, 2012 7:31 am Offline
Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:51 am254
Watched it a second time, still didn't like it - 4/10. The last two episodes have pretty much been on a level with Family Guy for me - can watch it once and get a laugh or two, don't really care to re-watch them though. I really hope they come out of their mini slump next week :(
Re: *1603: Faith Hilling* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Mar 30, 2012 12:21 pm Offline
Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:26 am33
Marshall_Scotch wrote:
One of my least fav' episodes ever.
Maybe my least fav' PERIOD ! ever. Maybe #1 on my suck list.
...Time will tell.

Not every episode can be a home run. I dont expect them to be.

Yep...its #1 on my suck list. But I like epsds 1 and 2 of this season...I like them OK.
THESE PRETZELS ARE MAKING ME THIRSTY !
Re: *1603: Faith Hilling* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Mar 30, 2012 12:54 pm Offline
Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:48 pm1
I really liked this one, but knowing memes, I'm surprised they only went with one's that had to do with posing. There are many more than that that could have been used, like Nyan Cat, Ponies, Slenderman... The Game. But it was nice to see that the idea of Internet memes got any attention in the first place.
I was also surprised to find out that Cat breading is a real meme. I thought they were just poking fun at LOLcats.
Re: *1603: Faith Hilling* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Mar 30, 2012 1:49 pm Offline
Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:14 pm1425471 feet.
Brendle wrote:
First off, let me get this cheap shot/ad hominem out of the way: you like Jersey Shore. Matt and Trey made fun of that idiotic, mindless show, along with its fans, so I'm sure they give a damn that they lost YOU as a fan.

Funny that YOU call Matt/Trey out on "missing the point." You've COMPLETELY missed the point of this episode. It's clear that Trey is showing his utter disdain for idiotic meme culture on the internet, and yet you compare them to parents who want to be cool??? Newsflash: Trey/Matt don't WANT to be cool. They are saying that if it's "cool" to meme, then society is in the toilet.

Hence the absolutely hilarious parody of all those cheesy, old anti-smoking/anti-alcohol videos we all had to see when we were kids to convince us not to smoke. By replacing smoking with memes, it's showing us how absurd it is what we consider to be "hip" and trendy nowadays.

No, they don't WANT to research what a meme is, because they're too old and mature to give a damn. No, they don't give a sh*t about Super Cool Ski Instructor or Socially Awkward Penguin or whatever unfunny, childish crap that amuses you.

I find it amusing how many people are commenting on the choice of memes and as you said, missing the prevailing theme of just being too goddamn old for much of the current internet culture.

It seems to be a prevailing theme with the more recent episodes. Has everyone forgotten that these guys are in their early 40s now and are going to write from their perspective? Do you really want writing from the kind of douche who is still tying to be hip and cool by teen/college standards well after middle age bloat sets in? That has always been creepy. Trust me, I had the parent that tied too hard to fit in growing up in the late 80s early 90s. It is ALWAYS creepy and obnoxious.

So the memes are in some cases yesterday's or a couple years ago. The joke falls apart otherwise and the episode would have been unbearable.

Here's the truth: very few people past university age really get the meme culture. We got old and one day the hip kids will be old and not get the trends that follow them. The last few seasons have had a lot of poking fun at getting older and sh*t changing. Again, there should be a difference in tone and perspective. It's still plenty immature at times, but the show needs to grow with the writers to not be completely contrived.
Re: *1603: Faith Hilling* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Mar 30, 2012 5:09 pm Offline
Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:46 pm143Park County Police Station
Brendle wrote:
I'm going to respond to a post made in the pre-air discussion thread:

Jerseyshoreaholic wrote:
this new episode of south park is about internet memes but its like not even about internet memes .. its so dumb .. if they woulda had like ... Scumbag Steve on there or even like Pedobear or like idk Socially Awkward Penguin it woulda been funny but instead they f*ckin made it based off plankin & tebowing and all that sh*t..such an utter and complete disappointment of ripping on current trends .. absolutely missed the whole point .. is it possible Trey and Matt are turning too old.. just like when a parent attempts to use a new slang word the wrong way ?? IT DOESNT WORK AND ISNT COOL. The idea couldve turned out to an epicly hilarious episode .. go back to your reseach and see what a meme is .. i mean for Christ Sake there is a new meme decicated to the Super Cool Ski Instructor .. get it right next time guys.

According to the commentary, Trey loves The Real Housewives of New Jersey and they both like the first season of Jersey Shore.
Characters Ranked by Speaking Appearances...y'know, if you care about useless, autistic trivia like that.

Favorite Characters: Randy, Yates, and Butters
Favorite Episode: Cartman's Incredible Gift
Favorite Pairing: Randy x Sharon
Re: *1603: Faith Hilling* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Mar 30, 2012 7:32 pm Offline
Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:03 pm596The Further
Sgt.YatesMonkeyBalls wrote:

First off, let me get this cheap shot/ad hominem out of the way: you like Jersey Shore. Matt and Trey made fun of that idiotic, mindless show, along with its fans, so I'm sure they give a damn that they lost YOU as a fan.[/quote]According to the commentary, Trey loves The Real Housewives of New Jersey and they both like the first season of Jersey Shore.[/quote]

Heard that too :( IDK why they would
“The basis of all reasoning is the mind's awareness of itself. What we think, the external objects we perceive, are all like actors that come on and off stage. But our consciousness, the stage itself, is always present to us,” Trey Parker
Re: *1603: Faith Hilling* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Mar 30, 2012 7:57 pm Offline
Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:27 am39
I'm going to have to watch this again... just because it really left me hanging. I feel like I missed something. The plot was nowhere to be found so the episode was pretty awful in that respect, yet I laughed. I'm really surprised at how vague everything felt in this one and they seemed to acknowledge something was off in their message. Not their best stuff, but the abundance of real pictures thrown in had me chuckling. Not sure what else to say except this couldn't possibly become a favorite. The season has hit a new low and I hope things only get better from this point.
Re: *1603: Faith Hilling* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Mar 30, 2012 8:12 pm Offline
Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:42 pm433
Some of the above posts make me want to say this. First, for those of you that don't like how M&T are talking about meming, well tough. I thought it would suck like Over Logging at first, but I found this episode funny, and that's that. It's an adult comedy, and making it funny is first priority to the storyline (granted, it shouldn't be used before). While many people criticized the idea that meming is a "dumb" think to talk about, it shouldn't be first priority. South Park is a comedy, and you watch it (or are supposed to watch it) for the laughs and giggles. And it's not blatantly offensive either, so that's good.

Story =/= Comedy

Also, yeah, you really can't laugh when trying to watch the same episode over and over because you've seen it before and you know what's going to happen already.

And honestly, this episode was much, much better than last week's piece of crap.

Sort by  
Page 7 of 11 157 posts Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next