Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Post new topic Reply to topic
Page 12 of 16 229 posts Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Author Message
Re: *1604: Jewpacabra* Post-Air Discussion PostSat Apr 07, 2012 6:07 pm Offline
  • Profile
Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:20 pm5070
I liked that this wasn't another Randy episode.

Also, I will have to watch again to see who else was there, but I liked the background characters (non speaking roles) of the kids during the easter egg hunt including Wendy, Dougie (when was the last time we've seen him?), Bebe, and Tweek! Tweek was there :)

Oh, and Sheila Broflovski was incorrect in telling Eric that Passover is 7 days, from Friday (this year) until Friday; it's 8 days going 'til next Saturday.
Re: *1604: Jewpacabra* Post-Air Discussion PostSat Apr 07, 2012 7:23 pm Offline
  • Profile
Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:27 am39
NeuroHeart wrote:
South Park Jesus wrote:
There are only a few things integral to Cartman's personality and one of them is avid antisemitism.

I don't think that is "integral" to Cartman. His character motivation is based on 1) self-interest and 2) bigotry in general. It's often been bigotry directed at Jews, but it can easily be directed at anyone, so long as it satisfies his "us vs. them" mentality.
If "avid antisemitism" was truly "integral" to Cartman's character, he would have burned Kyle in an oven by now. But mostly, Cartman just enjoys talking sh*t and telling everyone how right he is and how wrong they are. If he thinks it's in his own self-interest (which he did) and he gets something new to lord over other people (which he did) it's not actually that much of a stretch that he would say he would become Jewish now. I mean, recall the Ginger Kids episode. He thought it was in his own self-interest, and he got something new to lord over other people, so he became a rabid advocate of ginger superiority, despite hating them. As soon as it wasn't in his self-interest anymore, he went right back to hating on gingers.
I guess my point is that you can't expect Cartman's behavior to be consistent or even logical, because the driving force in his life is a desire to feel superior. That's not going to lend itself to being super consistent, because the tides of fortune are ever changing.


Hmm... great counter there. I can see your point, and Ginger Kids was a great example to reference as proof of the behavior you mention. The thing is, as much as Eric seemed to wail on gingers, THAT was in fact him being fickle I think, whereas he actually seems to idolize Adolf Hitler and has constantly ragged on Jews throughout the series. I can name almost every episode as evidence of the behavior I perceive in him, to weigh against the one great example you gave. Unfortunately, I don't think this is something that could be settled beyond personal opinion without input from Matt and Trey about what they were thinking.
Re: *1604: Jewpacabra* Post-Air Discussion PostSat Apr 07, 2012 7:43 pm Offline
  • Profile
Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:42 am115
zzyzx 1 wrote:
I liked that this wasn't another Randy episode.

Also, I will have to watch again to see who else was there, but I liked the background characters (non speaking roles) of the kids during the easter egg hunt including Wendy, Dougie (when was the last time we've seen him?), Bebe, and Tweek! Tweek was there :)

Oh, and Sheila Broflovski was incorrect in telling Eric that Passover is 7 days, from Friday (this year) until Friday; it's 8 days going 'til next Saturday.

Trying not to get on the technical Passover side of things, but Passover is 7 days in Israel and 8 days outside Israel. I looked up why, but no one here would care and it would be a weird cut-and-paste explanation.
So you are right in this case, sort of.
If you don't like the direction SP's going in, quit watching.There's nothing we could do about it, unless you're producer or higher in the authority chain.And they won't listen to fan ideas.It's not worth your time to only hate.
Great new episode! PostSat Apr 07, 2012 7:51 pm Offline
  • Profile
Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:17 pm33Maine, USA
I've watched Jewpacabra a couple of times now and I have to say I think this is a great new episode, for a number of reasons...

First, I think the main problem with South Park during the last few seasons has been the degree to which they've relied on lightweight pop culture topics for their episodes. Episodes about Britney Spears, WWE, Jersey Shore, etc. just took on ridiculously easy targets, had a few cheap laughs, and don't hold up well at all to repeat viewing. Although this episode threw in the bigfoot hunters (and Animal Planet merited a mention) it really avoided that problem altogether. Rather than a celebrity cameo we just got the boys doing something ridiculous and it was great!

The only "topical" aspect to the show was the fact that it was an Easter-themed episode the week of Easter, but I think that's great. South Park hasn't done many holiday episodes lately, but the stuff they've done in the past has generally been above average, so I was thrilled to see them do it again. I think it turned out as well as ever.

Secondly, I just liked that this episode focused on the boys and they were just being themselves. Butters is awesome as the kid cowering in his bed singing "loo loo loo". I know some people loved Butters the pretentious author, or Butters the biker, or Butters the pimp, but to me this is what Butters has always been: A frightened, highly suggestible foil to Cartman. Speaking of which, this episode was vintage Cartman: anti-Semitism, an overlly grand scheme to get something simple (maybe his best since Casa Bonita), and getting his comeuppance in a major way. Kyle was pitch-perfect in his initial suspicion of Cartman, and his final forgiveness/help. If I was disappointed in anything it's that we didn't have more for Stan and Kenny to do, but that happens from time to time.

Finally, this episode is funny. Even after repeat viewings I still want to laugh out loud at several of the jokes, like Cartman's Jewpacabra calls, or the sight of Cartman in a bunny suit getting blood splashed on his face, or the hilarious dialogue when the store manager visits Kyle's house. Great stuff!

So, obviouisly, I really enjoyed this one. This is the first time I've felt compelled to comment on an episode in a while. Great job Matt and Trey!
Re: *1604: Jewpacabra* Post-Air Discussion PostSat Apr 07, 2012 11:32 pm Offline
  • WWW
  • Profile
Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:34 pm635Illinois, USA
I refuse to give judgement until we find out where this is going in the long-run.

But watch next week be the first episode of the season without a strong Cartman focus.
I don't have any petty self-centered sh*t to link to right now :o
Re: *1604: Jewpacabra* Post-Air Discussion PostSat Apr 07, 2012 11:45 pm Offline
  • Profile
Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:00 pm937
South Park Jesus wrote:
I can name almost every episode as evidence of the behavior I perceive in him...

...You know, I'm crazy enough to want to go through every episode and document every slur Cartman uses, and every example I can find of his fickle and self-serving nature... but I'm not sure that I'm crazy enough to actually do it.

(But then, I wasn't sure I was actually crazy enough to go through every episode and record (nearly) every homage I could find, and I totally did that. And this would be evidence-gathering, which I enjoy. So really it depends on when I'll have time to do something that crazy.)

You're right, of course, it is mostly personal opinion, but our stances are obviously based on what we have observed. And I would never say that Cartman is not antisemetic, just that his need to feel superior and secure trumps just about everything.
To believe in something just because you're afraid of the consequences if you don't believe in something is no reason to believe in something.
Re: *1604: Jewpacabra* Post-Air Discussion PostSun Apr 08, 2012 11:36 am Offline
  • Profile
Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:32 pm3281Somewhere south of the north pole, somewhere north of the south pole
Am I the only one who noticed the unnerving, pathological element to the fatherless Cartman having a touching Hollywood moment with his egyptian dream dad? It was really quite sad when they told each other that they loved each other, and then starting singing. One of those rare glimpses into the vulnerable, repressed parts of Eric Cartman.
skurtz wrote:
nwt000 wrote:
Get your trolling ass out of here!

I'm more friendlier drinking some espresso.
Last edited by Zazaban on Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: *1604: Jewpacabra* Post-Air Discussion PostSun Apr 08, 2012 11:38 am Offline
  • Profile
Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:20 pm5070
Zazaban wrote:
Am I the only one who noticed the unnerving, pathological element to the fatherless Cartman having a touching Hollywood moment with his egyptian dream dad?


No :)

But you're the first to post about it 8)

Great catch, Zazaban
Re: *1604: Jewpacabra* Post-Air Discussion PostSun Apr 08, 2012 11:44 am Offline
  • Profile
Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:32 pm3281Somewhere south of the north pole, somewhere north of the south pole
zzyzx 1 wrote:
Zazaban wrote:
Am I the only one who noticed the unnerving, pathological element to the fatherless Cartman having a touching Hollywood moment with his egyptian dream dad?


No :)

But you're the first to post about it 8)

Great catch, Zazaban

It was really very sad. I assume most people just saw funny randomness, but I thought it was obvious. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.
skurtz wrote:
nwt000 wrote:
Get your trolling ass out of here!

I'm more friendlier drinking some espresso.
Re: *1604: Jewpacabra* Post-Air Discussion PostSun Apr 08, 2012 12:16 pm OfflineBoard Moderator
  • WWW
  • YIM
  • Profile
Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:57 am17368Hollywood, CA
Zazaban wrote:
Am I the only one who noticed the unnerving, pathological element to the fatherless Cartman having a touching Hollywood moment with his egyptian dream dad? It was really quite sad when they told each other that they loved each other, and then starting singing. One of those rare glimpses into the vulnerable, repressed parts of Eric Cartman.

Those tranquilizers were pretty powerful. :)
My SP Fan Site.

Favorite Character: Chef (RIP, for reals this time)
Favorite Episode: Anyone with Butters in it.
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Re: *1604: Jewpacabra* Post-Air Discussion PostSun Apr 08, 2012 2:17 pm Offline
  • Profile
Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:10 pm1
4th episode in a row that totally sucks!!!!c mon guys get some inspiration!
Re: *1604: Jewpacabra* Post-Air Discussion PostSun Apr 08, 2012 2:39 pm Offline
  • Profile
Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:12 pm10
Zazaban wrote:
zzyzx 1 wrote:
Zazaban wrote:
Am I the only one who noticed the unnerving, pathological element to the fatherless Cartman having a touching Hollywood moment with his egyptian dream dad?


No :)

But you're the first to post about it 8)

Great catch, Zazaban

It was really very sad. I assume most people just saw funny randomness, but I thought it was obvious. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.


Well, if you're reading too much into it so am I. I found it to be quite sad, as well.
Re: *1604: Jewpacabra* Post-Air Discussion PostSun Apr 08, 2012 3:18 pm Offline
  • Profile
Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:10 pm7
First of all I love Kyle's ringtone for Cartman I just laughed my ass off at that but the best part was Kyle being annoyed at Cartman for calling again and throwing his iPhone across the room. That was so funny I laughed my ass off when Kyle threw his iPhone across the room.

My other favorite part when Cartman became a jew. I just can't help but wonder if Cartman really will stay a jew and how that will change the direction of the show. If Cartman stays a jew then he can no longer rip on Kyle for being a jew.
Re: *1604: Jewpacabra* Post-Air Discussion PostSun Apr 08, 2012 3:43 pm Offline
  • Profile
Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:52 pm182
Zazaban wrote:
Am I the only one who noticed the unnerving, pathological element to the fatherless Cartman having a touching Hollywood moment with his egyptian dream dad? It was really quite sad when they told each other that they loved each other, and then starting singing. One of those rare glimpses into the vulnerable, repressed parts of Eric Cartman.


You're the only one. I thought it was sad and beautiful even though it was all a dream. :( I feel bad for him about not having a dad.
I'm a Eric Theodore Cartman fan!
I support CartmanxStan
Cartman, Stan, Kenny, Butters, Clyde and Bebe are my favs.
Re: *1604: Jewpacabra* Post-Air Discussion PostSun Apr 08, 2012 5:55 pm Offline
  • Profile
Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:02 am2
8.5/10

Loved the episode, best so far of the season and definitely one of my new favorites
Display posts from previous:  

Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
Page 12 of 16 229 posts Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Beta Classic X