Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 5 of 7 105 posts Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Re: *1609: Raising the Bar* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Oct 05, 2012 3:17 pm Offline
Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:09 pm13
The bar for what?
Re: *1609: Raising the Bar* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Oct 05, 2012 5:13 pm Offline
Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:50 pm24
I absolutely love this episode. It was much better than last week’s episode. Everything was perfect, especially the wrestling scene of Cartman and Honey Boo Boo. I’ve never laughed this hard since Butterballs (another good episode). I hope next week will be epic as this one.

Raising the Bar: 9/10
***Eric Theodore Cartman 4eva***
favorite characters: Eric Cartman & Kenny McCormick
favorite episode: Scotter Tenderman Must Die/ Cartoon Wars part I/II
pairings: Cartman/Kyle & Cartman/Stan
Re: *1609: Raising the Bar* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Oct 05, 2012 5:17 pm Offline
Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:54 pm5860Australia
Djinna wrote:
The bar for what?

The bar refers to someone's expectations. If someone says "the bar is raised" that means they have bigger or higher expectations from lets say you and an essay. They expect you to write better, since the bar of expectation has been raised.

In this case, The bar is the expectation of viewers watching low/degrading shows. so what M and T are looking at is raising the bar, in an attempt to stop viewers watching these low bar shows.

I hope you get it, if you don't well, i tried explaining :lol:
"We're all just a bunch of multi-coloured humans!"
Re: *1609: Raising the Bar* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Oct 05, 2012 5:44 pm Offline
Thanks for responding, ugly bob. I know what "raising the bar" means, but thanks for explaining that too.

I've never seen the show they're making fun of. What makes that show degrading? The fact that fat people are featured on it, or the fact that the fat people who are featured on it behave like stereotypical fat people (white trash)? Or both?
Re: *1609: Raising the Bar* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Oct 05, 2012 5:51 pm Offline
It's people exploiting themselves for entertainment and money that M+T are looking down on.
Re: *1609: Raising the Bar* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Oct 05, 2012 6:01 pm Offline
Okay, thanks.

One more question: the scene I keep reading about... the scene that features Michelle Obama kicking "fatass"'s ass... do you suppose that scene is meant to be an ironic statement about the Obamas' stance against bullying while heading a war against obese people? Or does it come across more like "Yay Michelle Obama for beating up fat people"?

I really should just finish watching this episode...
Re: *1609: Raising the Bar* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Oct 05, 2012 6:24 pm Offline
I understand that a lot of weird things happen in South Park just because. It's not all random, though, and it's not even mostly random. If it were, it would be called Family Guy. To quote Parker and Stone via Cartman in that one episode, "When I make jokes, they are inherent to a story! Deep, situational and emotional jokes based on what is relevant and has a POINT!"

Yeah, whale and disabled person. But commentary on Obama and fat people during an election in which health care is a hot topic just doesn't seem like it would be a random scenario, you know?

Anyway, off to watch the rest of that show. Thanks for talking to me/being my temporary friend.
Re: *1609: Raising the Bar* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Oct 05, 2012 6:27 pm Offline
Why is your last post deleted, ugly bob? Now I look like I'm talking to myself.
Re: *1609: Raising the Bar* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Oct 05, 2012 9:28 pm OfflineBoard Moderator
  • YIM
Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:57 am17369Hollywood, CA
He deleted it himself before anyone got a chance to reply, and you replied just after he deleted it, heh. If your post had shown up before he deleted his, he would not have been able to delete his.
My SP Fan Site.

Favorite Character: Chef (RIP, for reals this time)
Favorite Episode: Anyone with Butters in it.
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Re: *1609: Raising the Bar* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Oct 05, 2012 9:49 pm Offline
Djinna wrote:
I understand that a lot of weird things happen in South Park just because. It's not all random, though, and it's not even mostly random. If it were, it would be called Family Guy. To quote Parker and Stone via Cartman in that one episode, "When I make jokes, they are inherent to a story! Deep, situational and emotional jokes based on what is relevant and has a POINT!"

Yeah, whale and disabled person. But commentary on Obama and fat people during an election in which health care is a hot topic just doesn't seem like it would be a random scenario, you know?

Anyway, off to watch the rest of that show. Thanks for talking to me/being my temporary friend.

I deleted it because i didn't think i worded it very well, i also felt that i might confuse you further. So i kinda had to delete it.

My former post, or, what i remember: (imrpovised)
When it comes down to south park, things are a little far fetched, take the whale and disabled kid for example, that's unlikely... (don't remember other points) Michelle (i am guessing) is against child hood obesity and that might be a reference saying "Oh look! it's Mrs. Obama setting her point! she hates them fatsos!" but I dunno, really. :O

glad to discuss underlying themes in episodes like these... Glad to be friends. We can be friends-- why temporary??

Big-Will wrote:
He deleted it himself before anyone got a chance to reply, and you replied just after he deleted it, heh. If your post had shown up before he deleted his, he would not have been able to delete his.

I am a girl, Will.
Re: *1609: Raising the Bar* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Oct 05, 2012 10:20 pm Offline
Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:41 pm1
I Agree with the Episode! This kindy of trash humor started with south park!
At first everybody was insulted by it. Then things like Jackass start to pop up.
You all know what kind of humor I am talking about: It's this type of humor that is strange and outrageous but makes anyone who watch feel like special or unique to have balls and stomach to laugh about it.
South Park do it with intelligence because what is wanted is to provoke strangement and discussion. And maybe at first they did a good job.
But american culture can easily adapt to barbarism.
And to have balls and stomach to laugh was made in a muscle, a capacity and a form of strength for competition.
That's not new. That is what is wrong with all forms of counterculture. There is the mistake.
We can't cristalise our ideas and give birth to another oppressive centralized culture.
And all tv can produce it's centralized culture.
South park should and now.
Re: *1609: Raising the Bar* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Oct 05, 2012 10:21 pm Offline
Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:01 am4
zzyzx 1 wrote:
I get it. This episode was created because of last week's South Park. Last week the season opener of SP (in the ratings) was beaten by Honey Boo Boo. At the end of Act II in tonight's show, Token refers to "It's only our first show of the season and we were beaten by Honey Boo Boo." <---- paraphrase, not the exact quote.

Very cleaver, M&T.

nice
Re: *1609: Raising the Bar* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Oct 05, 2012 10:30 pm OfflineBoard Moderator
  • YIM
Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:57 am17369Hollywood, CA
(ugly)Bob wrote:
I am a girl, Will.

Why'd you have to be so goddamned ugly, girl?

(it's too bad you chose Ugly Bob as your username)
My SP Fan Site.

Favorite Character: Chef (RIP, for reals this time)
Favorite Episode: Anyone with Butters in it.
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Re: *1609: Raising the Bar* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Oct 05, 2012 10:33 pm Offline
Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:43 pm18790I was over nah, but now I'm over heah.
Hmm. I'm finally I'm getting around to this and everyone's saying what I was going to. The James Cameron thing seemed to come out of nowhere. As did the Randy Newman thing. There was a lot going on in this one. Almost as much as in Stanely's Cup, but at least this didn't suck.

And I twazzled as much on the tweety, but sketti 'n butter is so white trash. Sp'getti & american cheese & bacon is where it's at!

Aw, you know what else. I can't believe I'm admitting I know about this, but Honey Boo Boo isn't the only spin off from Toddlers & Tiaras. There was also Eden's World. I'll never forget the general TLC promo I used to see running earlier in the year that showed people from the different shows on the network. It ended with her saying something like "I'm Eden, and TLC is my world." Which might be cute, if it didn't sound overly rehearsed and about as vomitous as any of the other kid-pagent themed promos. :|
Re: *1609: Raising the Bar* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Oct 05, 2012 10:35 pm Offline
Big-Will wrote:
Why'd you have to be so goddamned ugly, girl?

(it's too bad you chose Ugly Bob as your username)

:lol:
I like the character, so i chose the name as my userID. Sadly, it does sound like a dude's name, but.... ah well. It's understandable you're mistaken of my gender. I didn't bother correcting anyone for the first few months because I thought I wouldn't stay more than a month.

And i stayed.

Sort by  
Page 5 of 7 105 posts Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next