Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 5 of 5 72 posts Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Re: *1611: Going Native* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Oct 19, 2012 3:10 am Offline
Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:51 am7Thailand
Well Well Well

I'have pushed forward for Kenny.
I thought Kenny will die in episode but, he survived. :wink:
I'm Thai and love to watch South Park (Specificly love Stan Marsh)
I always do apologize if I used wrong or mistake grammars.
Re: *1611: Going Native* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Oct 19, 2012 4:51 am Offline
Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:59 pm2914On The East Siyeeed!
Anyone else kinda get like a "Jewbilee" vibe from this episode? Kenny going to a gathering with a friend even though he didn't belong there, got shunned by the members and then exiled. Then after leaving he gets caught in a situation you think he just died in, "Waterfall/picked up by a bear" then turns out he's alive and figures out a way to save the everyone.
"If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss" ~ Eminem

AxayPaulene wrote:
Niels0827 wrote:
But he (RideTheLightning)wanted Kensuke's hot man chowder.
Don't we all?
Re: *1611: Going Native* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Oct 19, 2012 10:00 am Offline
Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:43 pm18787I was over nah, but now I'm over heah.
I kinda did. It also felt a little bit like parts of Touche & Durd when they sent Stan off on the back of a horse, and he wound up in the PETA camp.
Re: *1611: Going Native* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Oct 19, 2012 7:36 pm Offline
Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:27 pm1
For those of you who do not know, Trey Parker has a house / lives on Kauai, Hawaii most of the year. There are many, inside jokes, as they would be called. In fact I can understand how many people would dislike or find this episode unfunny if they weren't from hawaii and more importantly Kauai.

All of the places shown are real, even some events like the stopping of the cruise ship (was actually a ferry, which mostly haoles stopped from docking on our island). Stand up paddle boarding, which Kenny was doing in the "Opaeka'a"(A waterfall near his home) part is something that is done pretty much daily on the water. Trey lives on the river next to the old CocoPalms hotel which is across the river from the Smith's Tropical Paradise where the 'natives' met in the episode.

I found this episode hilarious considering I live here.

Aloha.
Re: *1611: Going Native* Post-Air Discussion PostSat Oct 20, 2012 10:07 am Offline
Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:42 am13
i didnt think the episode was super funny though i thought it was fun and clever the same way the ghostbusters movie was fun and clever and not so much funny. i liked it
Re: *1611: Going Native* Post-Air Discussion PostSat Oct 20, 2012 10:48 am Offline
Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:18 am1
billymonstar wrote:
For those of you who do not know, Trey Parker has a house / lives on Kauai, Hawaii most of the year. There are many, inside jokes, as they would be called. In fact I can understand how many people would dislike or find this episode unfunny if they weren't from hawaii and more importantly Kauai.

All of the places shown are real, even some events like the stopping of the cruise ship (was actually a ferry, which mostly haoles stopped from docking on our island). Stand up paddle boarding, which Kenny was doing in the "Opaeka'a"(A waterfall near his home) part is something that is done pretty much daily on the water. Trey lives on the river next to the old CocoPalms hotel which is across the river from the Smith's Tropical Paradise where the 'natives' met in the episode.

I found this episode hilarious considering I live here.

Aloha.

I agree. The number of inside-jokes in this episode is epic -- being an actual half-breed Hawaiian, and catching those jokes, makes this episode a favorite for me.

The hint of the Super Ferry Fiasco, the ridiculous overly dramatic pronunciation of Hawaiian words, the pompous attitude of the faux-natives, the over abundance of (real) surfer and Kauai logo wear worn by the "natives", the Jack London (and/or Isabel Bird) 19th-century style of writing in Kenny's letters to the boys, the actual natives (as exhibited by their darker complexions) working in the tourist-service jobs catering to the wannabe natives, the stand-up-paddle-board-as-ultimate-challenge gag, what appears to be cartoon caricature of former Hawaii Governer Linda Lingle in the background of several scenes, the newscaster's "hmmm" comment on Obama being a native (he ain't), and the "god damned haoles!" attitude of the (haole) fake natives, and more, had me (and my buddies) rolling in laughter.

Sorry for the folks who didn't catch the jokes, but you had to have been there to get it.

Good Job Guys!
Re: *1611: Going Native* Post-Air Discussion PostSun Oct 21, 2012 9:48 am Offline
Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:54 pm236
I thought this was a good, not great episode. I can see where people from Hawaii would find it funnier. I've lived in Florida and had to endure the "native" snowbirds from the north who'd show up for 3 or 4 months a year, acting like they owned the place. So I related to the humour maybe better then some people. Loved Kenny's narrator voice and the boys looking all confused reading his letters. All in all it was a nice filler episode while M&T concintrate their effort on the Halloween episode.
Re: *1611: Going Native* Post-Air Discussion PostSun Oct 21, 2012 2:38 pm Offline
Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:00 pm937
I'm close to an actual native Hawaiian (now living here in Colorado) so this episode was especially funny to me. Also, I <3 Kenny. It was nice to see an episode centered around two of my favorite characters.

JerWu17 wrote:
I'm confused though about how the chi-chi would help the "natives" fight the armed forces. Am I missing some innuendo reference here?

The innuendo is that chi chis are boobs.

KonaGold wrote:
Obama being a native (he ain't)

He might not be a Hawaiian native, but he is native to Hawaii. Fine distinction, I know.
To believe in something just because you're afraid of the consequences if you don't believe in something is no reason to believe in something.
Re: *1611: Going Native* Post-Air Discussion PostSun Oct 21, 2012 3:15 pm OfflineBoard Moderator
  • YIM
Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:57 am17368Hollywood, CA
Kensuke wrote:
Anyone else kinda get like a "Jewbilee" vibe from this episode? Kenny going to a gathering with a friend even though he didn't belong there, got shunned by the members and then exiled. Then after leaving he gets caught in a situation you think he just died in, "Waterfall/picked up by a bear" then turns out he's alive and figures out a way to save the everyone.

Hadn't thought of that, but yeah, except for the shunned part. In this episode, he would have become a "native" if he had stayed on the paddle board all the way through, or just found his way back home if he didn't.

But when he came back with the ingredients needed for the chichis, he more than made up for that fall. :)
My SP Fan Site.

Favorite Character: Chef (RIP, for reals this time)
Favorite Episode: Anyone with Butters in it.
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Re: *1611: Going Native* Post-Air Discussion PostSun Oct 21, 2012 4:27 pm Offline
Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:50 pm24
I love this one because of the Hawaiian culture and Kenny collecting all the chichis.
***Eric Theodore Cartman 4eva***
favorite characters: Eric Cartman & Kenny McCormick
favorite episode: Scotter Tenderman Must Die/ Cartoon Wars part I/II
pairings: Cartman/Kyle & Cartman/Stan
Re: *1611: Going Native* Post-Air Discussion PostSun Oct 21, 2012 6:43 pm Offline
Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:43 pm18787I was over nah, but now I'm over heah.
NeuroHeart wrote:
JerWu17 wrote:
I'm confused though about how the chi-chi would help the "natives" fight the armed forces. Am I missing some innuendo reference here?

The innuendo is that chi chis are boobs.

Well there's that, but I thought it was the S'mores Schnapps effect as witnessed in Red Badge of Gayness. Alcheehol = fightin' courage.
Re: *1611: Going Native* Post-Air Discussion PostSun Oct 21, 2012 9:33 pm Offline
Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:13 pm8
Episode is lame
And its only getting worst
Thats it
That is the truth.

Sort by  
Page 5 of 5 72 posts Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5