Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 4 of 6 84 posts Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Re: *1703: World War Zimmerman* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Oct 10, 2013 11:27 am Offline
Wed May 05, 2010 2:09 am1
I didn't really like this episode it seemed to be promoting the myth that the Stand-Your-Ground law had something to do with the Zimmerman case, and overlooking the fact that blacks use the law successfully at a greater rate than whites.
Re: *1703: World War Zimmerman* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Oct 10, 2013 12:09 pm Offline
Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:34 pm635Illinois, USA
Count me as the moderate - I really loved what was good about the episode and really hated what was bad. That places it pretty in the middle. It's a huge step-down from last week, sure, but it's not a particularly bad episode in the long run of the show.

Quote:
Why are they suddenly so obsessed with Hollywood celebrities now? Every episode this season has either had, or directly referenced a celebrity. Pathetic.

I always find it hilarious when fans in new seasons call out the 'sudden' obsession with news and celebrities that has been an annoying part of the show for ten tears.
I don't have any petty self-centered sh*t to link to right now :o
Re: *1703: World War Zimmerman* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Oct 10, 2013 12:09 pm Offline
Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:47 pm1563Eating a Ditka-Shaped Waffle with Joe Montana and Punxatawney Paulomalu
Big-Will wrote:
nwt000 wrote:
6.4/10
One other odd observation I made is how the hell did Lorraine (that ugly girl who was bullied in Butterballs) end up taking Jenny Simons' spot in the cheerleading squad?

That might be a reference to this news article.

Lorraine doesn't appear to have Down Syndrome, she's just plain unattractive.
Niels0827 wrote:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/ ... 897901.png
Seriously, nobody likes you. Fuck off.
Re: *1703: World War Zimmerman* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Oct 10, 2013 5:42 pm Offline
Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:25 pm2
Well then,

While spending quite some time reloading the episode page (against better judgement) hoping the episode would be uploaded, I fell for the temptation of reading the comments, even before viewing the episode.

The negativity transformed me into something similar as a sour old geriatric pretending to have an open mind, but secretly grumbling and gnawing my teeth, mumbling 'Yeah right, as if it will be good. In the old days yes, but these days, they all get it wrong', expecting a lame episode that is aiming for success while diminishing a core pillar of the show. (Shout-out to the Cartman)

And even though I had made up my mind beforehand, and was even already angry/offended, ready to post that the mentality "hey, wouldn't it be truly sarcastic to start mocking our own show and fans" is getting old.. Even under those circumstances, I was blown away! (not the 12 gauge shotgun way, more the massage with happy ending way).

Sorry for all those who hate the episode, but it is brilliant. The way that Cartman gets hyper offensive from Token's perspective by moving himself into the underdog/passive corner is sheer evil beauty. It is not a racist interpretation of Token's action, no, it is pro-active, forcing the racist interpretation on the poor kid in the form of a sissy/passive action like an apology / a poem. Even 'reaching out to him in a way he would understand' by rapmusic. (yet another insult disguised as good-will) Providing a justification to an offense that wasn't given. The only way a victim can react is either by not playing along and thus looking like an aggressor who is too closed-minded to accept this ehum.. well-intentioned apology, or let yourself be mentally violated, knowing you are being played but accepting you have no defence, and accepting the 'justification', as if you had taken offense in the first place!

Probably people will say it isn't true, and Cartman is just overreacting and being plain stupid, but if that was the case he wouldn't have simply -without too much emotion- shot him and act all trivial about it.

I love it!

PS: one of the most basic forms of that powerplay by Cartman is using the statement 'Hey dude, calm down.. Remember, I am not your enemy', 'BTW, I'm sorry if what I said apparently made you angry' or 'Darn, don't know how to formulate this without you getting angry/offended/aggressive again' in a normal discussion.
Re: *1703: World War Zimmerman* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Oct 10, 2013 6:39 pm Offline
Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:24 pm5686The Mormon Homeland
First of all, a giant "Fuck you" to the Best Western I was at last night; non-functioning internet and the shittiest channel lineup I have ever seen. No Comedy Central?! Are you shitting me? Is it 1997? Fuck. They didn't even have TBS so I could watch baseball instead. I hope that place burns to the ground.

With that out of the way, on to the episode.

I saw WWZ and appreciated the frame-for-frame sequences they did with Fatass. It's one of those things where when they first do it, it's funny. Then as they repeat that stuff, it gets less funny. Then at some point later in the episode, it's supposed to get funny again and that's usually the way it works. This time, not so much.

I do find it fitting and hilarious that Fatass sees himself as some kind of Brad Pitt-looking hero. It has it's roots in his little tea parties from season 1 where he gives all his stuffed animals voices and they're all telling him how cool he is.

I just about died laughing when Butters started beatboxing. That alone is worth all the negative parts of the episode.

The biggest problem is the way the WWZ parody was done required the action to move around way too much. This created an overly rushed feel to the whole episode even before Fatass jets off to Florida for all of two minutes. Combining the movie and the fear of post-Zimmerman riots was actually a decent idea, in my opinion. It's just really hard to do in 22 minutes without lots of jet-setting and skipping over the part where Fatass gets guns through airport security 3 times.

I also think more people were bothered by something that always pisses me off about Fatass. The way he antagonizes people and then tries to play the victim and everybody with any sort of authority fucking buys it. This week was as stark example of that because it involved him shooting somebody.

One final complaint involving the scene on the airplane. You cannot open the door to a commercial airliner in flight. It is impossible. It's impossible because they open inward and the cabin is pressurized. You will break the handle off before you will get that door to budge.
You read it! You can't unread it!
Re: *1703: World War Zimmerman* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Oct 10, 2013 8:28 pm Offline
Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:11 pm1
This is the last episode for me. I either agree with or can tolerate the other politically charged episodes, but I think Matt & Trey have their heads up their asses so far on the Zimmerman trial I don't think they'll ever be able to see again.

Zimmerman was rightly found not guilty. He didn't shoot Martin because he got too close - there was an eye witness that testified Martin was on top of Zimmerman punching him, and expert testimony that showed Martin was still on top when he was shot. Even if you don't like Zimmerman his portrayal here wasn't funny.

Only retards in the media think that "stand your ground" laws had anything to do with the Zimmerman trial. The portrayal of stand your ground was completely inaccurate and in no way funny. How is suggesting it only applies to white people in any way accurate or funny?

Even disregarding the writers case of head-in-ass about Zimmerman, this was a poorly constructed episode. Worst ever. As far as I'm concerned it was the last.
Re: *1703: World War Zimmerman* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Oct 10, 2013 9:27 pm Offline
Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:54 pm5860Australia
Too.... too many f*ckin' cartman's!
"We're all just a bunch of multi-coloured humans!"
Re: *1703: World War Zimmerman* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Oct 10, 2013 9:48 pm Offline
Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:21 pm3
I Sooo wanted to see cartman take the plane to isreal.
Re: *1703: World War Zimmerman* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Oct 10, 2013 10:03 pm Offline
Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:54 pm5860Australia
Travaler67 wrote:
I Sooo wanted to see cartman take the plane to isreal.

That idea had me cackling for a while
"We're all just a bunch of multi-coloured humans!"
Re: *1703: World War Zimmerman* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Oct 11, 2013 6:01 am Offline
Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:19 pm30Cheektowaga, NY
I thought attempts to link the movie and Zimmerman were weak. Its almost like they came up with a clever title for the episode, then tried to build a story around that title. And shooting Token was pretty severe, even for Cartman. Its funny watching Cartman be reprehensible, but even for Cartman, there's a line that can be crossed where its just not funny. But I will admit, Cartman Brad Pitt-ing his hair was pretty hilarious.
Re: *1703: World War Zimmerman* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Oct 11, 2013 5:12 pm Offline
Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:51 am255
I'll have to go against the trend, I'd give this one a 9/10. Loved it the first time I saw it and it's got staying power on replays.

The Mr Mackey sessions were priceless, happy to see him getting a nice chunk of screen time. Cartman's dream family, all with various Cartman-voiceovers, was way too funny - and much like his stuffed animals was repeatedly reassuring him how kooo he is ;)

The "panic" Cartman then spreads was too funny, and all in his trusty Brad Pitt gear. Which was made funnier by the impact it had on everyone around it, drawing them into Z mode and to mass hysteria.
Re: *1703: World War Zimmerman* Post-Air Discussion PostSat Oct 12, 2013 9:27 am Offline
Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:53 pm303
UhhIDontKnow wrote:
I'll have to go against the trend, I'd give this one a 9/10. Loved it the first time I saw it and it's got staying power on replays.

The Mr Mackey sessions were priceless, happy to see him getting a nice chunk of screen time. Cartman's dream family, all with various Cartman-voiceovers, was way too funny - and much like his stuffed animals was repeatedly reassuring him how kooo he is ;)

The "panic" Cartman then spreads was too funny, and all in his trusty Brad Pitt gear. Which was made funnier by the impact it had on everyone around it, drawing them into Z mode and to mass hysteria.

I'll go one better and give it a 10/10 8)

The Mr. Mackey vignettes were great, M'kay! And it was great seeing Principal Victoria in the episode. A fantastic kids being kids episode, albeit based on current events once again (Zimmerman).

Old school SP with a lot of the action centered in Mr. Garrison's class. This is great! If anyone was wondering whatever happened to South Park, well South Park is back to it's old style! Kudos to M&T for keeping SP new and fresh in the old school style after 17 years. 1703 was great! In fact, every episode this season was better than the last. And there are still 7 episodes left!

Season 17 is one of the best seasons ever. A real treat! Looking forward to a new Halloween/Spooky Vision episode soon as Season 17 will overlap this year with Halloween!

Watch out, Barbara Streisand!

This episode: 10/10

One of my favorite lines in the episode relating to the current event of Zimmerman that made this episode possible:

"Daddy, who is Trayvon Martin?
Daddy: "Nobody. L-let's just get you girls to school." :lol:

[credit where credit is due; thanks to Big-Will's spscriptorium for publishing the transcript where I got the exact wording for the above quote] :)
Re: *1703: World War Zimmerman* Post-Air Discussion PostSat Oct 12, 2013 12:32 pm Offline
Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:21 pm1
kennyrules1234579 wrote:
I normally to busy with school and homework to wright on forums.

Hahahahahaaaa....I'm guessing that it's not English or Creative Writing (or is that Wrighting) Class that you're working on.
Re: *1703: World War Zimmerman* Post-Air Discussion PostSat Oct 12, 2013 3:52 pm Offline
Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:42 am115
^Halloween does not perfectly overlap with SP this year because Oct. 31 is a Thursday (though I watch episodes on Thu.). It did last year, and the fact the Halloween episode (which was good) was aired on Oct. 24 baffled me.

To the review, better late than never. I give it a 1.5/10. I'd say its the 3rd or 4th SP episode I've ever watched, and I've watched darn near every single one. I didn't really understand what actually happened and what might've been a dream/mirage, and the World War Z running jokes were completely incomprehensible without having watched the movie. I didn't find anything remotely funny, and the topic was old news (just like 1701, but at least that made me laugh). Hate to be a hater, this is the first episode I've mega-ranted on, but a total fail for South Park.
If you don't like the direction SP's going in, quit watching.There's nothing we could do about it, unless you're producer or higher in the authority chain.And they won't listen to fan ideas.It's not worth your time to only hate.
Re: *1703: World War Zimmerman* Post-Air Discussion PostSat Oct 12, 2013 7:10 pm Offline
Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:36 am1436in a secret underground bunker
It had funny moments...but in all honesty, It was what I expected it to be. A George Zimmerman/World War Z Parody...and Cartman pissed off at Black People. :roll:

Plusses: NED AND JIMBO!! :D The Brad Pitt thing was okay too. Nice to see Mackey and Cartman's Mockery of him. Zimmerman getting fried added a little giggle.

Minuses: A godamn frog could have picked up this plot before the episode aired. No Shock factor what so ever. It was obvious that Token and Cartman wouldn't die. Even Cartman's rap with Butters was kinda lame...well..because Cartman can't rapl :o I think this episode was just TOO MUCH TREY and not enough Matt! The show has become too much of a revolvement around Cartman and well...although he is the "Star" I would like to see more action around KYLE!! Am I asking for too much?? :|

I'm used to "learning something today" as Kyle would put it...and in this episode, I can clearly say that I DIDN'T LEARN ANYTHING! :( :cartmancry:

I'll give it a 6/10...but it's subject to change. I think some are taking this episode a little too um...hard. It's HARDLY NOT the worst episode they made (Brittney Spears, Million Fibers, T&P from Season 2, Butt Out! I can go on...) but it is a pretty poor one, and probably goes in the bottom 1/3 to 1/4 of the pack. A forgettable episode for sure.
RTL: I love being a dick to people for no reason. It makes me feel better about how my mom smacks me around with a frozen T Bone steak.

Sort by  
Page 4 of 6 84 posts Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next