Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 6 of 6 84 posts Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Re: *1703: World War Zimmerman* Post-Air Discussion PostSat Oct 19, 2013 11:51 pm Offline
Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:26 am585
DaleReeck wrote:
Its almost like they came up with a clever title for the episode, then tried to build a story around that title. And shooting Token was pretty severe, even for Cartman. Its funny watching Cartman be reprehensible, but even for Cartman, there's a line that can be crossed where its just not funny. .

This is a good criticism. It has no air of self-entitlement...the poster is not acting as if the creators owe him anything. I also agree with this poster. Cartman shooting people is ridiculous. He's not likeable at all when he pulls sh*t like that.

I think their problem recently is relying too much on parodies and not making the parodies make sense without knowledge of the material. I haven't seen World War Z, either.

Let it be known that even when South Park makes a bad episode, the creators are doing you a favor. They are entertaining you for thirty minutes. It's so lame when people say "I just wasted 30 minutes of my precious time watching this CRAPPY episode!!!" Oh please. 30 minutes is nothing. It's not even 0.0001% of your life.

You're doing them absolutely no favors and never did anything for them. Please remember this.
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
Re: *1703: World War Zimmerman* Post-Air Discussion PostTue Oct 22, 2013 10:25 am Offline
Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:51 am255
Did anyone else flash back to Christian Hard Rock when Cartman shot Token?

"I'm going to kill you one day Token..."
Re: *1703: World War Zimmerman* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Oct 25, 2013 11:03 pm Offline
Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:43 pm89
I was somewhat mixed on this episode (mixed leaning toward having a positive view of it) but only due to the fact that I have not yet seen World War Z.

I enjoyed some of the comedy but for reasons I've mentioned could not get many of the references.

Highlights for me from this episode were:
*Butters beatboxing
*"Fist bump bro"
*Les Miserables reference
*Cartman mentioning that black people "invented rock and roll" at the beginning (I really loved that mention, as a fan of much of the jazz and blues that 60s and 70s rock musicians borrowed from)
*The black zombie apocalypse in Cartman's nightmare
*"Black guy in the back"
*Zimmerman frying

So in my opinion, there was plenty to laugh about in this episode despite not getting the movie references. I just didn't much care for the writing or structure of the episode which I'm betting I would've understood better, had I gotten the references.

7.5-8/10
Re: *1703: World War Zimmerman* Post-Air Discussion PostSat Oct 26, 2013 2:10 am Offline
Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:46 pm8
I had watched World War Z just before this came on. That threw my head sideways, since I was thinking exactly the same things about the ending.
Re: *1703: World War Zimmerman* Post-Air Discussion PostMon Oct 28, 2013 3:35 pm Offline
Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:57 pm91
I saw World War Z, (boyfriend dragged me to see it with him) and although I thought the movie was decent, he hated it because it wasn't anything like the book. (I've never read it, but I'll take his word for it.)
I could tell that there was no way someone who hadn't seen the movie would get the references. The oversaturation of parody and in-jokes definitely would turn a lot of people off to it.
It's like a bad skit at an anime convention masquerade, where the actors forgot that not everyone in the audience has seen the show, played the game, read the books, etc. that their skit is based off of, and instead used so many references and in-jokes that anyone who's not in the fandom cannot even tell what it's about.
I'd give it a 6.5/10. Pretty forgetable episode, even though I understood all of the WWZ references.
._____.
|_____|
() o_o ()
...|__|----> this is Kyle

98% of teens have one of these 98% statistics in their signatures, copy and paste if you're in the 2% that doesn't...hey, wait a minute...
Re: *1703: World War Zimmerman* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Nov 07, 2013 8:49 pm Offline
Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:19 am11
To me, this is the worst episode of South Park since "Pip", for so many reasons:

1. It relies too heavily on a movie reference. This CAN work, but it rarely does. People who haven't seen the movie are alienated, plus it ages faster than other episodes with original plots. This isn't dooming, but when coupled with...

2. ...a current event plot, it becomes disastrous. It's ironic that M&T expressed hesitation to do things so "passe" like having Cartman rig the Special Olympics, yet they have been doing high-profile current event episodes like clockwork.

3. It's shocking to see M&T completely on the wrong side of the issue for once. The presentation of the evidence and the GZ trial is something I'd expect to see in Family Guy, not South Park. Especially with the emphasis on the stand your ground law to make GZ seem like the aggressor - anybody who gets their news outside of Jon Stewart could easily tell you that GZ waived the stand your ground defense before the trial started and it had 0% influence in the actual legal proceedings. But at this point it's beating a dead horse.

4. It just wasn't funny. Structurally, it didn't make any sense. As another poster said, it seems like they came up with the name of the episode before the story.
Re: *1703: World War Zimmerman* Post-Air Discussion PostMon Nov 18, 2013 3:13 pm Offline
Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:14 pm99Antelope California
Zimmerman just got arrested, not sure if it will stick or why he was arrested. I guess he was arrested for a disturbance call. I bet it involves his wife or something. I'm not sure yet if it had anything to do with him being on South Park. It will be fun to see what happens to this guy. Great job making fun if this guy, he will be popping up in the news for years.
Re: *1703: World War Zimmerman* Post-Air Discussion PostTue Mar 18, 2014 10:25 pm Offline
Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:43 pm18787I was over nah, but now I'm over heah.
Good god. That Michael Buble song comes up on the music system at work all the time, and I can't not hear Cartman singing it now.
Re: *1703: World War Zimmerman* Post-Air Discussion PostWed Mar 19, 2014 11:19 am Offline
Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:44 am1219Bedford (U.K)
BRMBug wrote:
Good god. That Michael Buble song comes up on the music system at work all the time, and I can't not hear Cartman singing it now.

Same as when California Love still comes on the radio i still think of the scene from Night of the living homeless :lol:
Kyle: Why? How could you do this? There are people starving in Alabama and you give Cartman a million dollars?

Cartman: Line? Lines! I HATE LINES!!!

Sort by  
Page 6 of 6 84 posts Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6