Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 3 of 6 78 posts Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Dec 12, 2013 2:10 am Offline
Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:54 pm5860Australia
Stanluv25 wrote:
And what the hell was with the ending

The ending was supposed to represent girls succumbing to peer pressure to look pretty and play the game of looking and wishing to be beautiful, forgetting one's own body.

Stanluv25 wrote:
Even Stan thought Wendy needed to jump on board- these kids have no morals!

I thought Stan was the one who had some common sense too! i thought Kyle would've too! but eh.... its peer pressure, dude.
"We're all just a bunch of multi-coloured humans!"
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Dec 12, 2013 2:13 am Offline
Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:32 am2732So Cal
It didn't feel right, nor in-character after everything Wendy had said against photoshop. She did succumb to peer pressure before with boobs, but this time... it hurt her too much to go through with this, it wouldn't make her feel better so why did she do it? Usually if you give in you do so because you think you'll feel better. Wendy knew she wouldn't. That's why I feel there may be more to come from this.
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Dec 12, 2013 2:13 am Offline
Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:54 pm5860Australia
Stanluv25 wrote:
It didn't feel right, nor in-character after everything Wendy had said against photoshop. She did succumb to peer pressure before with boobs, but this time... it hurt her too much to go through with this, it wouldn't make her feel better so why did she do it? Usually if you give in you do so because you think you'll feel better. Wendy knew she wouldn't. That's why I feel there may be more to come from this.

I have no rebuttal.
Maybe there is a twist to this in another episode in the next season....
"We're all just a bunch of multi-coloured humans!"
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Dec 12, 2013 4:13 am OfflineBoard Moderator
  • YIM
Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:57 am17368Hollywood, CA
Stanluv25 wrote:
it wouldn't make her feel better so why did she do it?

Stan. If she didn't do it, she may well have lost him, but now we'll never know.

This is one of those times when a man's vanity overpowers his sensibility, to the woman's detriment - those boys will carry around altered images of their girlfriends instead of unaltered ones so they can show them off to the other boys. Those boys will in turn not notice the girls as they really are, and so Wendy's rant falls on deaf ears.

And the girls have to share some of the blame here, since they were the ones modifying their own images and sending them out to their friends, male and female.

The twist to this already happened back in "South Park is Gay," with the boys getting dolled up as metrosexuals.
My SP Fan Site.

Favorite Character: Chef (RIP, for reals this time)
Favorite Episode: Anyone with Butters in it.
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Dec 12, 2013 4:35 am Offline
Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:36 pm70
The ending wasn't all THAT funny, but IMO it had to be done THAT way, as people nowadays do generally give into peer pressure and start trying to be someone they aren't. Some of them actually succeed at that. Others, fail after some success and then hurt or kill themselves. It's true. We've seen it happen.

I honestly had no idea they'd bring back Kanye West but I thought that was awesome.

I completely agree with what Photoshopping (and airbrushing) have done to the self-image of the human race, turned us into a bunch of shallow pricks where generally the best "looking" people get first dibs on practically anything, and the rest are just given unfair labels. That kind of causes a snowball effect on a person, you know.

I wish the entire season was as strong as this episode and Black Friday, but it wasn't. Those two episodes IMO were right on par with South Park's best.
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Dec 12, 2013 8:51 am Offline
Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:26 am585
M00ndragon69 wrote:
Very sad ending, but it is necessary social commentary. Standards people put on others regarding their appearances is rediculous. Especially when it comes to how women are mostly only valued for their appearances.

What does this mean? Women are only valued for their appearances?

Are you saying guys mostly never spend time with ugly girls? Well, girls mostly never spend time with ugly guys either. You can say it happens more with girls, but that's because guys have higher sexual drives and hence make more decisions that increase the likelihood of us having sex than girls do. It's not a sexist thing...it's just science/nature.

There are way too many guys who like ugly girls for their personalities and way too many girls who only like guys for their looks for this to be only a "women" thing. It works both ways.

M00ndragon69 wrote:
There were a lot of truths in this episode. For one, when Lisa asked Butters out, and he pretty much called her fat to her face, that is how lots of overweight women are treated.

I thought this was a really mean thing for Butters to say, but I guess he's just a kid. I don't think this is how adult males act.

Very few adult males say "you're fat" to fat women. If they do they're assh*les. But again, there are male assh*les and there are female assh*les...I don't understand why it has to be a gender-specific issue.

M00ndragon69 wrote:
Another truth is most people kind of know pictures of attractive people we see in the media are photoshopped, but lots of people buy into the bullsh*t idea that people should look like that. And, when someone tries to point out that the pictures are bullsh*t, and the people in them don't really look like that, or if someone says something against people who are hating on people who are overweight, they suddenly become the haters..Even if they say what they say out of concern about how the emphasis on appearance isn't good for anyone, they are the hater..They must only be saying what they say because they are jealous.

Well, here's the truth: women who look more like the girls on magazines are more attractive to guys than women who look the opposite. Big boobs + skinny is a lot more attractive than fat/flat boobs.

The reason I say one is more attractive than the other isn't because the media has brainwashed me. It's just objectively better. Things like symmetrical features are more aesthetically pleasing to our brains than asymmetrical, spotty features.

I'm going to guess that we prefer bigger boobs due to Freudian reasons. I don't know what the reason is...but it's a scientific, objective reason that has nothing to do with magazines. Cavemen preferred big boobs before magazines were around.
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Dec 12, 2013 9:03 am Offline
Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:14 pm1825Ohio - Nothing to see since 1803
Well that certainly was interesting... Kanye's part was pretty good, as was the bits with the boys. Pretty damn depressing at the end, though, Wendy caving in and posting a picture to be popular again and all.
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Dec 12, 2013 9:52 am Offline
Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:28 am637United States
The best episode of the season, imo.

Love Wendy episodes, and this one goes towards the top (The List is still #1 though!).

A lot of the episode had good points, women being valued based on looks, and it was a sad ending that Wendy caved to peer pressure and fear of losing Stan.
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Dec 12, 2013 1:45 pm Offline
Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:26 pm10
I loved this episode.

I thought the Kanye jokes were fun, and the ending actually made me sort of sad.

I think that the story that Kanye told added to Wendy giving in to peer pressure made the ending actually rather poignant. Like others, I do hope this gets some sort of resolution.

My favorite parts of the episode were the scenes that Butters and Wendy had together. Who would've thought they'd be such a great pairing? I wish the whole episode would've centered around those two just working off of each other, but what can you do?
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Dec 12, 2013 4:11 pm Offline
Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:51 pm4292San Jose, California
I kind of liked it for what it was, but just like real life, Kanye ruined it. Somebody needs to off that narcissistic birth defect.
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Dec 12, 2013 4:49 pm Offline
Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:31 am3
I just watched it. Should of ended the series with a plot twist though. Nice episode though.
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Dec 12, 2013 7:11 pm Offline
Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:59 am8
Any episode where Butters sings "Camptown Races" is pure gold in my book.

Aside from that magic, this was a decent episode. The after-school-special nature of the social commentary was slightly grating, but still fairly humorous.

This one goes in my "good" folder, a very lonely place for me this season.
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Dec 12, 2013 7:53 pm Offline
Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:32 pm4
Best episode of the season for me, and one to add to the classics.

This episode was one big stream of outrageous lunacy that had me laughing my ass off.

Kanye. Outrageous. NOT Aquaman. Begins and ends each phone call with "Bitch" and "Love you too [smoochsmooch]

Wendy. Outrageous. NOT jelly. Gets burned for trying to do the right thing AGAIN. NOT A HATER.

News Team. Outrageous. Experts on identifying 9 year old hater girls and jelly monsters.

The boys. Will be boys.

This one surprised me, and it definitely showed the boys can still make a classic episode. Hopefully we'll get more like this one in the future.
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Dec 12, 2013 8:31 pm Offline
Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:29 pm11
Hooray, a Wendy episode! Man, that ending was quite depressing, with a mix of falling into peer pressure and swallowing pride. I loved Mr. Mackey's line about there being a fine line between being a feminist and being a hater, because that is so true. Which is sad since the traditional purpose of feminism is positive, and Wendy did have a great point about photoshop. We know from past episodes that Wendy has a jealousy problem, so this episode was great at showing how she had to make sure that she was staying objective in her... objections. It's that sort of character struggle that I love in South Park.

Also, Kanye and Kim. Hilarious! All in all, I felt that this was a strong season. I'm sad to see it end just because I need my fix. I'll be looking forward to next season! Thank you Matt and Trey and everyone at SP!
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Dec 12, 2013 10:38 pm Offline
Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:52 pm8921Shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque...
My buck o' five about the episode (would have been two cents...damn inflation...) :

I don't know which got more of a laugh out of me: The whole "hater/jelly" thing Wendy was being put through or Kanye's return! Though I WILL say his having to call Kim and check with her about whether or not she was a hobbit had some great moments.

As for the final scene, some were saying that it wasn't very funny. Was it supposed to be? I'm thinking that for all intents and purposes, that wasn't the goal. Wendy gave in to the whole Photoshop thing, but reasons were unclear. Would she have lost Stan if she didn't, like Big-Will suggested? Did she just decide to give in to the peer pressure, just so she would no longer be called a hater, or jelly, for that matter? We do know that she learned SOMETHING out of all this, especially after being read the Hobbit story by Gay Fish (Recovering--good one!), but what?

Credit to the SP people for really making us think on this one.

I liked the Photoshopped results of the other girls, but lost it when they showed the same thing happening to TIMMY!
:lol:

Sort by  
Page 3 of 6 78 posts Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next