Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Post new topic Reply to topic
Page 5 of 6 78 posts Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostMon Dec 16, 2013 4:00 am Offline
  • Profile
Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:32 pm9640Sedro Woolley
Brendle wrote:
M00ndragon69 wrote:
Very sad ending, but it is necessary social commentary. Standards people put on others regarding their appearances is rediculous. Especially when it comes to how women are mostly only valued for their appearances.

What does this mean? Women are only valued for their appearances?

Are you saying guys mostly never spend time with ugly girls? Well, girls mostly never spend time with ugly guys either. You can say it happens more with girls, but that's because guys have higher sexual drives and hence make more decisions that increase the likelihood of us having sex than girls do. It's not a sexist thing...it's just science/nature.

There are way too many guys who like ugly girls for their personalities and way too many girls who only like guys for their looks for this to be only a "women" thing. It works both ways.

M00ndragon69 wrote:
There were a lot of truths in this episode. For one, when Lisa asked Butters out, and he pretty much called her fat to her face, that is how lots of overweight women are treated.

I thought this was a really mean thing for Butters to say, but I guess he's just a kid. I don't think this is how adult males act.

Very few adult males say "you're fat" to fat women. If they do they're assh*les. But again, there are male assh*les and there are female assh*les...I don't understand why it has to be a gender-specific issue.

M00ndragon69 wrote:
Another truth is most people kind of know pictures of attractive people we see in the media are photoshopped, but lots of people buy into the bullsh*t idea that people should look like that. And, when someone tries to point out that the pictures are bullsh*t, and the people in them don't really look like that, or if someone says something against people who are hating on people who are overweight, they suddenly become the haters..Even if they say what they say out of concern about how the emphasis on appearance isn't good for anyone, they are the hater..They must only be saying what they say because they are jealous.

Well, here's the truth: women who look more like the girls on magazines are more attractive to guys than women who look the opposite. Big boobs + skinny is a lot more attractive than fat/flat boobs.

The reason I say one is more attractive than the other isn't because the media has brainwashed me. It's just objectively better. Things like symmetrical features are more aesthetically pleasing to our brains than asymmetrical, spotty features.

I'm going to guess that we prefer bigger boobs due to Freudian reasons. I don't know what the reason is...but it's a scientific, objective reason that has nothing to do with magazines. Cavemen preferred big boobs before magazines were around.



To be honest, what you just said proved everything I said right. When I said in society, women are only valued for their appearances, I didn't just mean that guys only want to f*ck pretty girls. I meant that everywhere in society, including the job market, too much emphasis is placed on how women look. And, anymore if a woman addresses such issues, especially online, they are often called fat, accused of being haters and such. Maybe you have never seen this issue from the point of view women who are not really treated that great, because they don't look a certain way, but I have. It sucks. No one deserves to be hated on for not looking a certain way, or treated as inferior for not looking a certain way. I am not saying guys should date people they are not sexually attracted to, I am saying at least treat everyone with the respect you would want to be treated with, regardless of what they look like. Don't make mean shallow comments about women you are not attracted to. Dont' talk to women you consider unattractive like that are stupid, and yes, people have done that to me. Don't shame men who like "fat chicks", and believe me, I have had enough guy friends to know how some of you talk about girls.. I also see sh*t guys post online about women. Not every guy is disrespectful to women, but there are enough of them in society to make things suck for alot of us. I see it. I think it is bullsh*t. I am saying so. If that makes me a hater, or "jelly", and someone like you doesn't like what I have to say, oh well.
Image
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostMon Dec 16, 2013 2:08 pm Offline
  • Profile
Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:32 pm4
Quote:
When I said in society, women are only valued for their appearances, I didn't just mean that guys only want to f*ck pretty girls. I meant that everywhere in society, including the job market, too much emphasis is placed on how women look.


Appearance is a HUMAN issue, not a female issue. Unless you think Steve Buscemi could have gotten away with performing the same roles Tom Cruise did with the same success. I don't think so, despite the fact I believe Steve is a better actor.




Quote:
And, anymore if a woman addresses such issues, especially online, they are often called fat, accused of being haters and such.


That's because they often ARE fat jelly haters.

I thought the episode highlighted that point very well.

Quote:
Maybe you have never seen this issue from the point of view women who are not really treated that great, because they don't look a certain way, but I have.


And this has never happened to men?

Of course it has. We've had to put up with the same bullsh*t that females do since the time we were kids in school. That's just the nature of the beast that is the human being.

Quote:
I am saying at least treat everyone with the respect you would want to be treated with, regardless of what they look like.


Agree, absolutely.

The actions of Wendy, however, do not reflect this by any means. I can imagine anyone would consider being referred to as a "hobbit" disrespectful, regardless of whether or not photoshop was used to "enhance" a personal image.

Wendy made her point about being "respectful" to Lisa by absolutely DESTROYING K.K.. That's not very respectful, and it's certainly no better than what Butters said to Lisa. It's hypocritical....which is why she was given the hater/jelly tag in the episode.

Quote:
I have had enough guy friends to know how some of you talk about girls.. I also see sh*t guys post online about women.


My experience has shown that there is no disparity among the genders concerning the amount of hate they can pile on their sexual opposites.


Quote:
Not every guy is disrespectful to women, but there are enough of them in society to make things suck for alot of us.


Again, I have found no disparity between genders concerning the amount of shitheads in their ranks.


South Park has done a pretty good job of showing, and making fun of, the hypocrisy exhibited in our various cultures. In this episode EVERYBODY got called on their hypocritical bullsh*t.

And it was GLORIOUS!
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostMon Dec 16, 2013 4:02 pm OfflineBoard Moderator
  • WWW
  • YIM
  • Profile
Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:57 am17368Hollywood, CA
This would have been a far different episode if Butters hadn't mentioned Kim Kardashian.

Kanye fell for the Photoshopped picture of Kim, met her in real life, realized that she was just a hobbit after all, and loves her anyway. The Photoshops of her no longer matter to him.

Wendy was ready to go to war against Photoshop until Kanye told her how, if it weren't for it, he wouldn't have met Kim and fallen in love with her (although there was a time he was afraid of what he was getting into). And this is what happened with Clyde and Lisa (at least until they break up, as couples their age are wont to do)

Wendy was right about us falling gaga over pinup pics of celebrities (and how the girls want to look like the women, and the boys like the men), especially when we'll never meet them in real life and see how they really are - pictures can lie - but a few of us may just live out Kanye's story.

As to why Wendy Photoshopped herself, well, Stan isn't about to dump her just because the pictures he has of her aren't embellished like those of the other girls, although the guys will rag on him about that. Wendy's not about to lose her post as cheerleader captain, although the girls may not like her as much. Stan just wants an updated picture of her to share with his friends. Wendy knows embellished pics aren't gonna help her any, but she embellished one anyway. And she did it for Stan. And this will get her back in everyone's good graces again. Wendy faces reality here and has to give up some idealism to get along with it.

She just hopes the others will give up some of their idealism as well. Sometimes, to get people to give up something, you have to give up something first. That could make you cry, as it did Wendy, but someone has to be first.
My SP Fan Site.

Favorite Character: Chef (RIP, for reals this time)
Favorite Episode: Anyone with Butters in it.
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostTue Dec 17, 2013 2:34 am Offline
  • Profile
Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:00 am7
Sad as the ending was, I definitely liked it because it pointed out the realistic effects that peer pressure and image can have on a child. Still, would've liked to see the actual Kardashian-Hobbit hybrid.
Smart Aleck Comedy
Find your laughs here. We stole them, sorry 'bout that.

Check out our website!
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostTue Dec 17, 2013 10:11 pm Offline
  • Profile
Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:51 am254
Photoshop is the great equalizer. Whether or not you're really attractive, you're hot if you have some shopped pics up on the internet. Isn't that a good thing in a way? Then all the girls can be hot, not just some. Only the jelly haters stand in the way, and if they'd stop jelling they'd be hot too. Maybe that recovering gay fish was wiser than I gave him credit for being.
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Dec 20, 2013 8:35 am Offline
  • Profile
Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:26 am585
M00ndragon69 wrote:
To be honest, what you just said proved everything I said right. When I said in society, women are only valued for their appearances, I didn't just mean that guys only want to f*ck pretty girls. I meant that everywhere in society, including the job market, too much emphasis is placed on how women look.

Okay, I can agree with that.

M00ndragon69 wrote:
And, anymore if a woman addresses such issues, especially online, they are often called fat, accused of being haters and such. Maybe you have never seen this issue from the point of view women who are not really treated that great, because they don't look a certain way, but I have. It sucks. No one deserves to be hated on for not looking a certain way, or treated as inferior for not looking a certain way. I am not saying guys should date people they are not sexually attracted to, I am saying at least treat everyone with the respect you would want to be treated with, regardless of what they look like.

Yeah, I agree with all this, but do you deny that ugly guys get just as much as sh*t?

Ugly guys have a sh*t life too (if they don't do something with their brain or talents). Completely ignored by the opposite sex. Ugly guys are treated the same by women as ugly girls are treated by men.

M00ndragon69 wrote:
Don't make mean shallow comments about women you are not attracted to. Dont' talk to women you consider unattractive like that are stupid, and yes, people have done that to me. Don't shame men who like "fat chicks", and believe me, I have had enough guy friends to know how some of you talk about girls.. I also see sh*t guys post online about women. Not every guy is disrespectful to women, but there are enough of them in society to make things suck for alot of us. I see it. I think it is bullsh*t. I am saying so. If that makes me a hater, or "jelly", and someone like you doesn't like what I have to say, oh well.

Sounds like you hang out with a bunch of douchebag guys. I find it repulsive to shame someone about liking fat women. Who gives a sh*t about WEIGHT? That's the dumbest thing ever.

Someone's weight can change at any time. If you have a slow metabolism and you don't watch what you eat for a couple months and you're in your 20s or older, chances are you'll be on your way to Chubby-ville pretty soon. It's that easy for some people (including myself) to get fat...so why the f*ck would I insult someone for being fat? That's like insulting someone for being an alcoholic. Everyone has a vice. It's f*cking idiotic to do that.

Maybe you should meet some more people or something. There are many, many guys who do not treat fat women poorly. The way Butters told that girl "you're too fat"...I've never ever heard that happen in real life before from an adult male.

I don't think you're "jelly" or a "hater" (I hate that term), I just think you have a victim mentality. Like, you say things suck for you...that's only because you allow it to feel like it sucks. What if you just didn't give a sh*t if a guy called you ugly? What if you just dismissed him as a moron and were proud of yourself?

I don't think the world is against fat girls. I don't think the world is against unattractive girls. it's just harder for them to do certain things. It's up to each and every one of us to admit our shortcomings, admit our strengths, and use what we have at our disposal to make something of ourselves. We all have the power to do it. Flip the cards you're dealt.

There are loads of successful fat women, and loads of successful ugly women...all over the world. They didn't allow themselves to feel like life sucks for them.

If you're handicapped in a certain way, other people will be handicapped in others.

I hate to use a cliche, but it's so f*cking true. "The ones who matter don't mind and the ones who mind don't matter."
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Dec 20, 2013 9:00 am Offline
  • Profile
Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:26 am585
By the way, the sign of a great episode is it gets a dialogue happening on the internet. People are discussing this topic in great depth.

My two cents: if you're ugly, so what? Make sure you're strong in other areas (eg book smarts/engineering/plumbing/athletics/dancing/rapping/Insert Skill or Profession Here) and don't allow this one thing to cripple you.
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Dec 20, 2013 3:49 pm Offline
  • Profile
Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:52 pm129In your hearts.
You know, I did notice that when Nicole was changing her physical, she also changed her skin tone to a somewhat lighter complication. Maybe Trey Parker and Matt Stone are making a reference to the colorism in this country and the disrespect of dark-skinned women, especially by artists like Kanye West, Chris Brown, Lil Wayne and other artists and so much of the media.

Even though racism isn't as big of a problem as it was five decades (here in the US), colorism kicked in and does play a role in what society determines to be ugly and/or attractive, not just being a little overweight, crooked teeth, or not enough boobs or butt.
Send me a PM.

Milo Vonnegut | Milo Vonnegut 2 | Online Milo | Milo Vonnegut 3 | Keyblade | Tugennov Olim

GET BACK TO TWERK
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostMon Dec 23, 2013 9:34 am Offline
  • Profile
Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:16 am2
this episode is depressing especially since I am/was pretty much a splitting image on lisa berger :oops:

Image
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostMon Dec 23, 2013 9:44 am Offline
  • Profile
Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:16 am2
Milo Vonnegut 3 wrote:
You know, I did notice that when Nicole was changing her physical, she also changed her skin tone to a somewhat lighter complication. Maybe Trey Parker and Matt Stone are making a reference to the colorism in this country and the disrespect of dark-skinned women, especially by artists like Kanye West, Chris Brown, Lil Wayne and other artists and so much of the media.

Even though racism isn't as big of a problem as it was five decades (here in the US), colorism kicked in and does play a role in what society determines to be ugly and/or attractive, not just being a little overweight, crooked teeth, or not enough boobs or butt.


and also when they were doing Timmy they got rid of his wheelchair. Ableism much?
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Jan 02, 2014 7:10 pm Offline
  • Profile
Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:45 am33
Yay! Finally saw this episode and LOVED it. Was very impressed with the message. Also, there are a couple who are missing the message-women aren't expecting guys to start dating women they aren't sexually attracted to, that's not the point at all. The point is hardly any women can look anything like the women in magazines (no fat, slimmer necks, higher cheekbones, pupils and eyes made larger, back slimmed in, freckles erased, etc- and of course, they lightened Nichole) even if they worked out until they dropped dead. The fact is society in general puts more pressure on women than men to look a certain way (and not just while looking for a partner though it does make it harder as some men legitimately expect women to look like that or similar and when called out in it, get defensive and say they find those magazine looks sexually arousing instead of just admitting they can't get it on without a fantasy because they are inept).

Yes, of course ugly, morbidly obese guys don't get much love from hot, fit women. Maybe those guys should be looking for unattractive, morbidly obese women--- I mean, you get what you give, sorry, that's another fact. The point is, though, that a very small, if any percentage of women can attain the impossible looks of photoshop because it's photoshop. They can't give it because it's impossible!! And, yes, obviously, males have this to SOME extent (as shown in the episode) but not nearly as much as females. Also, biologically, males are the one who get the feel good vibes by looking at images not females who generally get more turned on by feeling safe and secure.

Anyway, I loved Wendy in this episode (always love her, though). Was sad at the end. I think she just went along with it. And loved Kanye, lol, and he called himself god! Too funny!!
Always think of the consequence of your behavior before acting out what you are thinking.
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Jan 03, 2014 5:03 am Offline
  • Profile
Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:26 am585
butterskennylover wrote:
this episode is depressing especially since I am/was pretty much a splitting image on lisa berger :oops:

Image

You look fine. You have nothing to worry about.
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Jan 03, 2014 5:35 am Offline
  • Profile
Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:26 am585
kolaida wrote:
The point is hardly any women can look anything like the women in magazines (no fat, slimmer necks, higher cheekbones, pupils and eyes made larger, back slimmed in, freckles erased, etc- and of course, they lightened Nichole) even if they worked out until they dropped dead.

If you work out, chances are you're going to be more attractive. The "magazine look" might be an unattainable fantasy look, but you can certainly be closer to it than others. And being closer = more attractive.

kolaida wrote:
The fact is society in general puts more pressure on women than men to look a certain way (and not just while looking for a partner though it does make it harder as some men legitimately expect women to look like that or similar and when called out in it, get defensive and say they find those magazine looks sexually arousing instead of just admitting they can't get it on without a fantasy because they are inept).

You say they get "defensive." That implies that there are some people on the offensive, which is just bizarre.

Why should a guy even have to defend himself when it comes to what he's attracted to? Why should you "call out" a guy for not getting hard/aroused by a woman? He can't just flick a switch in his brain where he can suddenly be aroused by average looking girls. He's been watching porn videos with extremely attractive women and the bar is set high. Not his fault.

kolaida wrote:
Yes, of course ugly, morbidly obese guys don't get much love from hot, fit women.

They don't get attention from any women, period. Fat men, men with acne, freckly boys...they don't even get a second glance from most women.

kolaida wrote:
Maybe those guys should be looking for unattractive, morbidly obese women--- I mean, you get what you give, sorry, that's another fact. The point is, though, that a very small, if any percentage of women can attain the impossible looks of photoshop because it's photoshop. They can't give it because it's impossible!! And, yes, obviously, males have this to SOME extent (as shown in the episode) but not nearly as much as females.

I think that whole "ugly guys should go with ugly girls" thing is bull. You should go with whoever you want.

Despite the fact I think it's a rather pathetic goal in life to have, if an ugly guy wants to attract hot women, it can be done. It's going to be a challenge for him, though...if he's a pussy he will back down from the challenge and just accept that he's an "ugly guy." If he's not a pussy, he won't back down.

kolaida wrote:
Also, biologically, males are the one who get the feel good vibes by looking at images not females who generally get more turned on by feeling safe and secure.

That's odd. I never knew females get turned on by feeling safe and secure.
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Jan 03, 2014 2:26 pm Offline
  • Profile
Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:45 am33
Brendle wrote:
kolaida wrote:
The point is hardly any women can look anything like the women in magazines (no fat, slimmer necks, higher cheekbones, pupils and eyes made larger, back slimmed in, freckles erased, etc- and of course, they lightened Nichole) even if they worked out until they dropped dead.

If you work out, chances are you're going to be more attractive. The "magazine look" might be an unattainable fantasy look, but you can certainly be closer to it than others. And being closer = more attractive.


The whole point of them showing the girls in the gym NOT working out is that working out does NOT get you those looks. If you work out it doesn't magically brush away your imperfections. Yes, of course, working out is attractive and more desirable! But it won't get a girl magazine looks or even close because those women don't work out to get those looks, they get airbrushed/photoshopped! That was the whole point.


kolaida wrote:
The fact is society in general puts more pressure on women than men to look a certain way (and not just while looking for a partner though it does make it harder as some men legitimately expect women to look like that or similar and when called out in it, get defensive and say they find those magazine looks sexually arousing instead of just admitting they can't get it on without a fantasy because they are inept).


Brendle wrote:
You say they get "defensive." That implies that there are some people on the offensive, which is just bizarre.
Why should a guy even have to defend himself when it comes to what he's attracted to?


No one has to be on the "offensive" for a person to get defensive; it's not a game. Defensive behavior is a rather common subject in psychology. Again, no one is saying guys shouldn't care about what they are attracted to, but it should be recognized that magazine looks==fantasy and fake and expecting women to look like that is also a fantasy (and same goes for any females who expect every man to have a six pack).

Brendle wrote:
Why should you "call out" a guy for not getting hard/aroused by a woman? He can't just flick a switch in his brain where he can suddenly be aroused by average looking girls. He's been watching porn videos with extremely attractive women and the bar is set high. Not his fault.


That IS his fault because he's is not smart enough to separate reality from fantasy so, yes, that is ENTIRELY his fault.

kolaida wrote:
Yes, of course ugly, morbidly obese guys don't get much love from hot, fit women.

Brendle wrote:
They don't get attention from any women, period. Fat men, men with acne, freckly boys...they don't even get a second glance from most women.


I find that hard to believe. I worked with two very obese guys in my life, one had some trouble finding women but usually managed but he had an upbeat personality, was likable, and didn't obsess on how girls didn't like him, etc. The other guy constantly whined about his weight, complained to WOMEN how other women didn't like him or think he was good enough, how no one wanted him, etc, then got offended that no one wanted him!



kolaida wrote:
Maybe those guys should be looking for unattractive, morbidly obese women--- I mean, you get what you give, sorry, that's another fact. The point is, though, that a very small, if any percentage of women can attain the impossible looks of photoshop because it's photoshop. They can't give it because it's impossible!! And, yes, obviously, males have this to SOME extent (as shown in the episode) but not nearly as much as females.


Brendle wrote:
I think that whole "ugly guys should go with ugly girls" thing is bull. You should go with whoever you want.

Despite the fact I think it's a rather pathetic goal in life to have, if an ugly guy wants to attract hot women, it can be done. It's going to be a challenge for him, though...if he's a pussy he will back down from the challenge and just accept that he's an "ugly guy." If he's not a pussy, he won't back down.


Weren't you just saying that women should work out to be more like magazine pictures....??

Of course people should date whoever they want. It's just in general people who work out are usually more drawn to others who work out, eat healthy etc. Most very fit women or guys aren't gonna wanna date someone who's morbidly obese. It's a physical attraction issue; for a pan-sexual it's probably not an issue, but most people require a certain level of physical attraction to get on. And some bigger people are just attracted to other bigger people and not too keen on "skinny minnies." Again, it's a personal preference and related to the immediate physical attraction.

Oh, please, don't get into the misogynist pussy thing. And men that don't back down are the most annoying guys of all, if its said once the woman isn't interested, she usually means it. Only in movies and shows does the persistence thing work. It usually just grinds on most women. Of course "ugly" people can be with "hot" people (and we could go into all the various definitions of both words but I'm just talking in the general sense). There are always exceptions to the rule. But, for the most part, people get what they give.

kolaida wrote:
Also, biologically, males are the one who get the feel good vibes by looking at images not females who generally get more turned on by feeling safe and secure.


Brendle wrote:
That's odd. I never knew females get turned on by feeling safe and secure.


Again, there are exceptions, but it's not like this is new information. That's why most females want a committed relationship out of a guy.

I do agree with a prior point you made that you know it's a good episode if it gets people talking. I know the internet can sound cold at time so just wanted to let you know I am enjoying the discussion. :)
Always think of the consequence of your behavior before acting out what you are thinking.
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Jan 03, 2014 7:47 pm Offline
  • Profile
Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:26 am585
kolaida wrote:
The whole point of them showing the girls in the gym NOT working out is that working out does NOT get you those looks. If you work out it doesn't magically brush away your imperfections. Yes, of course, working out is attractive and more desirable! But it won't get a girl magazine looks or even close because those women don't work out to get those looks, they get airbrushed/photoshopped! That was the whole point.

I am aware of the point the episode was making.

You think working out won't even make them look closer to the magazine look than before? Magazine girls are skinny. If you work out, you get skinnier. It's really that simple.

kolaida wrote:
No one has to be on the "offensive" for a person to get defensive; it's not a game. Defensive behavior is a rather common subject in psychology.

But nobody acts defensive if they don't feel threatened or challenged by anything. Defensive behavior when it comes to explaining something you cannot help (sexual attraction) should not even be occurring.

kolaida wrote:
Again, no one is saying guys shouldn't care about what they are attracted to, but it should be recognized that magazine looks==fantasy and fake and expecting women to look like that is also a fantasy (and same goes for any females who expect every man to have a six pack).


kolaida wrote:
That IS his fault because he's is not smart enough to separate reality from fantasy so, yes, that is ENTIRELY his fault.

No, you misunderstood. I'm not talking about expectation. I'm pretty sure there are no guys walking around out there who are so moronic that they think just because they watch beautiful women on porn, every other woman in the world must be beautiful and have big tits. That can't happen...the guy has lived too much life and spent too much time with people to be that stupid.

I'm talking about the guys who struggle to get attracted to average looking women with relatively smaller chests because the bar for their sexual stimulation has been raised too high. These guys understand that most women aren't what you see in magazines/porn. I have struggled with this. But...that's getting way too personal for a forum discussion with a stranger. A cool, likeable, smart stranger, though.

This is not the guy's fault, and thinking it is, is bigoted. People cannot help what they are attracted to. What we're attracted to is based on what we've experienced and a bunch of reactions in our brain...we have no control over any of it just like gay men have no control over being attracted to men. I'm sure you wouldn't dare suggest it's a gay person's fault for being gay...that's how absurd I think you sound at the moment.

kolaida wrote:
I find that hard to believe. I worked with two very obese guys in my life, one had some trouble finding women but usually managed but he had an upbeat personality, was likable, and didn't obsess on how girls didn't like him, etc. The other guy constantly whined about his weight, complained to WOMEN how other women didn't like him or think he was good enough, how no one wanted him, etc, then got offended that no one wanted him!

Keep in mind I was talking about the first impression or the "immediate physical attraction" as you put it. Ugly guys never make a good first impression...women are immediately repelled.

It's possible for obese men to attract women eventually if she isn't completely repulsed by him to begin with...having confidence is one way. Having money is another way. It sounds like your work colleague had the former.

A sense of humor also helps. A likeable personality. A good reputation helps as well. So does having a very honed skill or being smart/clever/good at something. What it comes down to is using your brain and not your appearance.

kolaida wrote:
Weren't you just saying that women should work out to be more like magazine pictures....??

Nope. Just saying I'd be more attracted to a woman that works out. Although I don't mind the "busty" ladies with a bit of meat on them...oh man, I'm getting too detailed. Anyway, moving on...

I agree with the general tone of the episode and I agree that women are pressured more in the looks department than men. But I think men go through some sh*t that women don't go through, too.

There's good and bad things that come with being members of both gender...so eliminate feminism entirely.

kolaida wrote:
And some bigger people are just attracted to other bigger people and not too keen on "skinny minnies." Again, it's a personal preference and related to the immediate physical attraction.

I think this is bull. Bigger people are just as attracted to the "magazine look" as skinny people. Fat, obese men mostly masturbate to the "skinny girls with big tits" type of girl. This whole "fat people are attracted to fat people" is a myth. Sure, you might have seen a few instances of it, but overall, fat people are NOT attracted to fat people. Why would they be? Most of them hate themselves when they look in the mirror.

kolaida wrote:
Oh, please, don't get into the misogynist pussy thing.

But surely as a fan of South Park, you can understand that the meanings of words change and you should never attach any belief/attitude/emotion to a word without first understanding the context in which it was used.

In the episode "The F Word," the creators of the show are defending their use of the word "fag" and claiming they do not use it in a homophobic way. They argue that the word has changed to mean "an annoying/unlikeable person" and has nothing to do with homophobia, despite its homophobic origins.

My use of the word "pussy" has nothing to do with misogyny, despite its misogynistic origins. A pussy is a weak/cowardly/insecure person. I cannot help that the linguists of previous generations linked cowardice with women...am I supposed to invent new words that aren't gender-specific or something?

kolaida wrote:
And men that don't back down are the most annoying guys of all, if its said once the woman isn't interested, she usually means it. Only in movies and shows does the persistence thing work. It usually just grinds on most women.

Haha, again, a misunderstanding. If you're rejected by a girl, and you keep trying to woo her, that's annoying and kind of stalkerish.

What I mean by "not backing down" is doing all those things I mentioned before. Gaining confidence. Getting some money. Getting a career. Getting a reputation. Developing a sense of humor and a likeable personality. Using your brain. If you're ugly as sin, you will have to do these things if you want to be on the market. If you're a wimp (is that a better word?) you won't bother doing these things...you will just sit and bitch about it like your fat friend.

Again, "bitch" has misogynistic origins but nothing to do with misogyny...please consider context.

kolaida wrote:
Again, there are exceptions, but it's not like this is new information. That's why most females want a committed relationship out of a guy.

Ah yeah, now you put it like that...makes sense. It seems such a weird thing to be "turned on" by though.

kolaida wrote:
I do agree with a prior point you made that you know it's a good episode if it gets people talking. I know the internet can sound cold at time so just wanted to let you know I am enjoying the discussion. :)
[/quote]
So am I. I like arguing.
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
Display posts from previous:  

Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
Page 5 of 6 78 posts Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Beta Classic X