Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 35 of 35 522 posts Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35
Re: The Official Stan Discussion Thread thru S20 PostFri Oct 19, 2012 5:41 pm Offline
Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:43 am37
Happy birthday to Stan!

I can never figure out what Stan's personality traits are. It seems like he's different every episode. Sometimes he's overly sensitive and emotional (Kenny Dies), sometimes he's the only sane character (Margaritaville), and sometimes he's a jerk (Butterballs).

There seems to be a bit of a progression in the continuity: he starts off as relatively sensitive in the earlier episodes, becomes the "only sane man" as characters like Randy gain popularity, and is more of a jerk character now that Kyle is taking on the role of the sane man. Of course, this is a loose model, since he can really be anything in any given episode. I think it's because Stan is a conglomeration of Trey Parker and an average 8-year-old, both of which were his original role. Kids are supposed to be sweet and sensitive, but Trey is not, so we get a fluctuating character like Stan.

Did that make sense? I fail at writing.
Re: The Official Stan Discussion Thread thru S20 PostWed Dec 19, 2012 3:44 pm Offline
Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:53 pm183
I actually kinda like the new "assh*le" Stan, more than the "I'm only sane person in the town" Stan, but yet that's just me...
Sorry for my bad English...
Re: The Official Stan Discussion Thread thru S20 PostWed Dec 19, 2012 5:04 pm Offline
Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:42 pm433
Southparkfan135 wrote:
I actually kinda like the new "assh*le" Stan, more than the "I'm only sane person in the town" Stan, but yet that's just me...

I like it too because it's a entirely new feeling and it's funny too.
Re: The Official Stan Discussion Thread thru S20 PostFri Dec 28, 2012 1:02 am Offline
Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:28 am637United States
I noticed Stan's morals changed. He formally knew right from wrong, and would stop himself before greed would take him over (Like how he was on board with selling the Scientology books in "Trapped in the Closet", but stopped himself by the end), but now, after "Butterballs", "I should have never gone Ziplining" and "A Scause for Applause", he is quickly seduced by greed.

Heck, this is after last season where he casually wrote Kyle off as being "like Cartman" in "Crack Baby Athletic Association".

Perhaps this is a side effect from "You're Getting Old"? With an extra year, he's becoming like most adults? Or has he decided to try and elevate his status for other reasons?
Re: The Official Stan Discussion Thread thru S20 PostMon Dec 31, 2012 2:08 am Offline
Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:32 am2732So Cal
^Everyone has noticed this. I say perhaps he has indeed become scarred by the events of YGO and AB and in turn his personality and morals are changing. I really hope this isn't 'the new Stan' and he will return back to his formal sensitive self in season 17. When changes this big happen I always hope Matt and Trey know what they are doing with it. But Stan is not a self-centered brat so I really want this bit turned around.
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.
Re: The Official Stan Discussion Thread thru S20 PostFri Jan 04, 2013 10:46 pm Offline
Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:28 am637United States
It does give him that darker edge, though.

So in a situation where he'd formally be 100% on the 'good side', he might be out looking for himself.

I kinda like it.
Re: The Official Stan Discussion Thread thru S20 PostSat Jan 05, 2013 3:13 am Offline
Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:32 am2732So Cal
Stan already had a darker side to him. Was already a bit of a brat at times in a different way. His thing was his stubbornness, depression, constantly disobeying his parents, getting into trouble... I just don't want to see Stan someday become some stuck-up jock in high school because that's how he's starting to see himself. (Not like we'll ever see them in HS)
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.
Re: The Official Stan Discussion Thread thru S20 PostSun Mar 03, 2013 1:27 am Offline
Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:18 pm16
I just want to see a Stan episode where he doesn't become selfish and greedy by the end of it. A lot of episodes start with a moral Stan, and recently he lets all of the attention he gets in his situations go to his head by the end. The ending of "Trapped in the Closet" shows Stan's personality almost completely opposite from that in "Butterballs". I guess "Ass Burgers" really was the transition of Stan from the voice of reason to a douche. Maybe they just wanted one voice of reason: Kyle. Maybe after all these years Trey and Matt decided once and for all Stan and Kyle needed different personalities.
Re: The Official Stan Discussion Thread thru S20 PostMon Mar 04, 2013 10:23 pm Offline
Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:14 pm1425471 feet.
HUMANCENTiPAD2.0 wrote:
Maybe after all these years Trey and Matt decided once and for all Stan and Kyle needed different personalities.

Well, that's been a problem going back a long time. Randy and Cartman was the major thing that diverted their personalities (Stan ending up as the put upon voice of reason and Kyle being the moral paragon) and they milked that for a good ten years.

And since when was giving a strong character flaw to a protagonist a terrible thing anyway?
Re: The Official Stan Discussion Thread thru S20 PostTue Mar 05, 2013 2:06 pm Offline
Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:50 am14
I wouldn't worry too much about Stan's recent personality change. I have a feeling he'll likely be back to his normal self in September.
Re: The Official Stan Discussion Thread thru S20 PostTue Jul 30, 2013 9:20 pm Offline
Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:31 pm94
Stan was such a jerk in Season 16. I liked him in the episode "Cash for Gold", showing that he cares about his grandfather. I hope he does go back to his old self again in Season 17.
Re: The Official Stan Discussion Thread thru S20 PostSun Dec 29, 2013 7:36 am Offline
Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:30 am3
Stan is such a deep and complex character, I love him. His personality has changed throughout the whole series. It's interesting to analyse his 'evolution' during South Park.

In the first seasons, he was just a sweet, innocent little boy. He and Kyle were very much alike. They both were the 'good guys', the rational ones, and they had learned something from their mistakes at the end of each episode.

When the series went on, and they all started acting more like adults than like children, Stan and Kyle each developed their own personalities. Whereas Kyle became a short-tempered but good-hearted little drama queen, Stan remained calm and rational, although he was more sensitive than Kyle was. Also, Stan was the one that wanted everything to go as smooth as possible. He wanted what was best for everyone and didn't like too much discussions. He wasn't tricked as easily as the others. Besides, it wasn't easy to get him interested in something, but when he was, he was very passionate about his ideals and he didn't give a sh*t about what other would think. It looked like he still had his morals, but he often showed that he would rather wait to confess something when it was to his advantage, unlike Kyle. He was kind of similar to Cartman on that subject.
But in general, Stan was just a normal boy with a good heart, a bit cheeky maybe.

Since YGO and AB, however, his personality changed remarkably. It's like his constant struggle to keep everyone happy and to avoid conflicts most of the time had reached its breaking point and he just couldn't do it anymore. So his outlook on the world and on life changed. Now, he's just cynical all the time. His ideals changed as well. It's like he constantly wants to draw the attention to himself. He has become more selfish, greedy and egocentric. And although I like the fact that he's not mister Nice Guy anymore, and that he shows there's a darker side to him, which makes him far more interesting, I would like to see Stan slightly happier (and maybe more sensitive) again.

I could be wrong at some points (sorry for that, please let me know) but this is more or less how I see Stan's evolution throughout the series. (I'm sorry for my not so perfect English, it's not my native language).

Sort by  
Page 35 of 35 522 posts Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35