Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 1 of 1 4 posts
The story of how I named a South Park character PostMon Aug 19, 2013 9:25 am Offline
Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:57 am4
Alright, even though a lot of people will mostly take this story as bull crap, I will at least make an attempt to tell it.

I am a devoted South Park fan since age 10. They started showing season one here in mid 1998 and the first episode I saw was Pinkeye and I was instantly hooked. I recorded the episode on my family's old vcr and I think I must've watched it about 40-50 times the following week until the next one aired. I was a part of the early generation fans who waited with anticipation for the SP:BLU movie to hit the theaters, that was a big moment I think I saw it 7 or 8 times before it came out on vhs and I bought it. South park is the greatest show on earth to me and Trey and Matt are my gods.

Anyway... enough about that I wanna tell you the story of how I accidentally named a character on the show. Kenny was always my favorite character and I always wanted to know everything about the town of South Park. I wanted to know the names of every character animal or human, kid or adult I wanted to know the name of every family member etc. so I spent a fair amount of time online back then looking for South Park information. This was in 1998-1999 and websites of course weren't as defined and flashy as they are now. I think it was in early 2005 when they premiered the episode 'Best Friends Forever' and I saw that Kenny had a little sister that I'd never seen or heard about before. I just knew about his older brother Kevin who has appeared as a background character throughout the seasons. I searched for info on Kenny's little sister but couldn't find anything. Now I don't know exactly why I did this but for some reason I went onto Wikipedia where the South Park characters were logged, all the families etc. and I changed his sister's name from Unknown to Karen, simply because I wanted her to have a name. I think I chose Karen because that way it'd be 3 K's - Kenny (Kenneth), Kevin, Karen.

I then added a little bogus info bit that went something like 'Kenny's sister does not have an official name but she is known to be called Karen by Matt Stone'

This was in early 2005 that I did that. I then forgot about this stuff for years and it wasn't until like 4 years later in 2009 that I was googling South Park characters and to my surprise on every Wikia or SK site I could find Kenny's sister's name was always written as Karen McCormick. I was a bit surprised that my name had stuck and I found it pretty cool actually.

The big surprise didn't hit though until November 16th of 2011 when they aired 'The Poor Kid' and Kenny's sister re-appeared under the name KAREN! I couldn't believe it ... that just from me going on wikipedia changing sh*t resulted in actually naming a character on the show and not only a character but the sister of my favorite character on the planet!

I wanted to share this story for the fun of it, I hope you fans like it!

Hail Trey & Matt!

Hail SP!
Re: The story of how I named a South Park character PostMon Aug 19, 2013 9:31 am Offline
Sorry, this should most likely be placed in 'Character Discussion' so I kindly as a mod to move it if possible :unhoodedkenny:
Re: The story of how I named a South Park character PostMon Aug 19, 2013 10:27 am OfflineBoard Moderator
  • YIM
Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:57 am17369Hollywood, CA
'The Poor Kid' commentary doesn't mention this story. Instead, MnT say that they had to go back to Season 4 to retrieve the names for Kenny's brother and sister. But as you note, Kenny's sister didn't appear until Season 9, and if you named her then, I'll go with that. :)
My SP Fan Site.

Favorite Character: Chef (RIP, for reals this time)
Favorite Episode: Anyone with Butters in it.
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Re: The story of how I named a South Park character PostMon Aug 19, 2013 10:36 am Offline
Big-Will wrote:
'The Poor Kid' commentary doesn't mention this story. Instead, MnT say that they had to go back to Season 4 to retrieve the names for Kenny's brother and sister. But as you note, Kenny's sister didn't appear until Season 9, and if you named her then, I'll go with that. :)

Hey Big -Will, and thanks for the reply!

This is a pretty weird story but this actually happened, haha! Like I said I was completely amazed that they used my name.

Sort by  
Page 1 of 1 4 posts