Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Page 1 of 6 82 posts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
The Fourth Annual BBS Fanfic Competition Thread! PostSun Aug 26, 2007 7:51 pm Offline
Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:55 am2729
Taken by Kyle the Skeptic's original competition thread:

It's time to kick off the fourth BBS Fanfic Competition of the year!

One of the objectives of the last competition was to allow different authors to critique each others' work and share suggestions and ideas. That didn't seem to work out too well, and I noticed that a lot of the people who took interest in the competition only offered cursory praise or criticism. I happen to believe that blind praise is a greater disservice to authors than blunt honest criticism. One cannot improve if there is no room for improvement given, and anything we can do to raise the bar can only be a good thing.

Here's what I had in mind in terms of rules.

1. Six categories are available: Comedy, Drama, Romance, Mystery/Horror, First Fic, and Action/Adventure. If there are any additional categories you can think of, they can be added, provided that there are enough potential entries to fill it. There should be at least 3 in order for it to qualify as a category.

2. No nominating other authors, especially if they don't frequent this site, since it may end up where an author is nominated, their work receives criticism, and he or she will never know about it. Therefore it will be by personal entry only, and only one entry per author per category. There is no limit to the number of categories you can sign up for.

3. There will be no maximum limit to the number of entries in any given category, as there was last time. However, unlike last time, you cannot enter the same fic in more than one category.

4. Eligible fics include those posted here or on fosff.net. In the interest of fairness, fics posted on ff.net will be allowed, so long as links are provided. Fics can either be finished or in progress, although for the latter there should be enough of the story completed so that readers have something to go on. In other words, no unfinished preludes or abandoned intros.

5. Slash fics are allowed, and they would go into the Romance category. If people post smut, they simply won't get voted for. I may create a separate category for Slash if there are enough of them plus Romance entries combined to split into two categories.

6. No entering anything that was already entered in a previous BBS contest, even if it didn't win anything or get voted for. However this is more to prevent an author from reentering a fic that has already won. There's no reason to use the same fic regardless, because if you wrote something like that once, you can do it again.

7. Although I don't think I have to mention this, you can only enter South Park fanfics. If it has nothing to do with SP, then it won't be eligible.

Anyone can participate, and anyone can enter. Just provide a link to your fic, and specify which category you want it in. The list of entries will be added onto as more people join.

Entry deadline cut-off is...March 1st; it should be ample enough time for people to start/complete writing their fanfics! Get writing, everyone!

The deadline has been extended, there's only a few fanfics entered, and what kind of competition is that?

:|
Goodbye, cruel world...
I'm leaving you today
Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye...

Goodbye, all you people
There's nothing you can say
To make me change my mind...
Goodbye...

- Pink Floyd (The Wall, 1979)
Last edited by Edduyasha on Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:03 am, edited 4 times in total.
PostSun Aug 26, 2007 7:53 pm Offline
Entries:

Comedy

- Emo Wars... The Punishment Due by SouthParkFansUnite

Drama

-

Romance

-

Mystery/Horror

-

First Fic

- The Fall of an Eagle by Thrawny

- Cartman's Revenge by KennyKicksAss

- Voodoo Child by Jay C

- Once Alone, Always Alone by MaxwellsSilverHammer

Action/Adventure

- Razik- Earthbound Knight by McCormick Fan
Goodbye, cruel world...
I'm leaving you today

Goodbye, all you people
Goodbye...

Last edited by Edduyasha on Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:22 pm, edited 14 times in total.
PostSun Aug 26, 2007 8:19 pm Offline
Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:35 pm779Somewhere out there, under the rainy sky
Great to see someone actually making another fanfic competition; the old one's been stinking up the board with it's rotten corpse for way too long!
You never know, this competition *might* even encourage me to actually finnish one of my fics and post it.
Good to see that maximum entrant numbers have been scraped, as this lets the more obscure fics get a look in, and some free advertising. More fics mean more constructive criticism (I hope) because more authors'll be browsing.
What's up with Fanfic.com stories though? Surely you should be able to post them along with FOSFF stuff, even though the site's a dump for garbage authors. From what i've read.
Pleased to see slash go the way of the dodo, but what about politics? There were no entrants last time, what makes you think it'll be diferent now?
Hope Will glues this to the board before it slips away.
PostSun Aug 26, 2007 8:24 pm Offline
SuperMaids wrote:
Great to see someone actually making another fanfic competition; the old one's been stinking up the board with it's rotten corpse for way too long!
You never know, this competition *might* even encourage me to actually finnish one of my fics and post it.
Good to see that maximum entrant numbers have been scraped, as this lets the more obscure fics get a look in, and some free advertising. More fics mean more constructive criticism (I hope) because more authors'll be browsing.
What's up with Fanfic.com stories though? Surely you should be able to post them along with FOSFF stuff, even though the site's a dump for garbage authors. From what i've read.
Pleased to see slash go the way of the dodo, but what about politics? There were no entrants last time, what makes you think it'll be diferent now?
Hope Will glues this to the board before it slips away.

Yep... Fanfic.com...a lot of that stuff is half-assed bulls*it, but if it really is competition-worthy, people can post it. I might take politics out if no one enters...
Goodbye, cruel world...
I'm leaving you today

Goodbye, all you people
Goodbye...

PostSun Aug 26, 2007 9:21 pm Offline
Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:28 am649SouthEast Pennsylvania
Holy hell! That's a lot of time. You might want to lower the deadline.
PostSun Aug 26, 2007 9:37 pm Offline
tweekedkenny wrote:
Holy hell! That's a lot of time. You might want to lower the deadline.

I dunno to what, though...if anyone could suggest something better, then I'll gladly change it.

:oops:
Goodbye, cruel world...
I'm leaving you today

Goodbye, all you people
Goodbye...

PostSun Aug 26, 2007 9:59 pm Offline
Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:35 pm779Somewhere out there, under the rainy sky
How about changing it to 31st December 2007?
That'd be a great deadline for everyone who needs to lean how to write before they get a fic ready...
PostSun Aug 26, 2007 10:03 pm Offline
SuperMaids wrote:
How about changing it to 31st December 2007?
That'd be a great deadline for everyone who needs to lean how to write before they get a fic ready...

But...isn't that what's up there already?

:?
Goodbye, cruel world...
I'm leaving you today

Goodbye, all you people
Goodbye...

PostMon Aug 27, 2007 5:18 am Offline
Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:23 am414WHAT
I'll enter some of mine. :)
albino.black.sheep wrote:
My cat ran away with an extra strong mint on his head.

xx_emuteeth_xx wrote:
shut up douche im not retaded
PostMon Aug 27, 2007 1:24 pm Offline
Guess_Who_I_Am_Not wrote:
I'll enter some of mine. :)

Alright, as long as it follows the rules!

:wink:
Goodbye, cruel world...
I'm leaving you today

Goodbye, all you people
Goodbye...

PostMon Aug 27, 2007 2:15 pm Offline
  • YIM
Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:55 pm1780Under The Weeping Moon
I've gotta get writing!!!
Founder of the Western Orthodox Branch of the Church of Butters!

"The world will know peace when humanity is extinguished."
-- False Awakenings
PostMon Aug 27, 2007 2:32 pm Offline
Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:07 pm1476All along the watchtower
*cracks knuckles* Time to get back to the swing of things 8)
Someone wrote:
Lies! None of the guys on here have seen real women!
PostMon Aug 27, 2007 5:46 pm Offline
Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:06 pm2254New Atlanta, Sector 11, Building 71G
Wait, I'm confused. Why did you copy my original post if this was something you were starting yourself? I'm not objecting or anything (and you did give me credit for the rules) it's just that I'm sure you could just as easily have come up with some guidelines of your own. :?
PostMon Aug 27, 2007 8:47 pm Offline
Kyle the Skeptic wrote:
Wait, I'm confused. Why did you copy my original post if this was something you were starting yourself? I'm not objecting or anything (and you did give me credit for the rules) it's just that I'm sure you could just as easily have come up with some guidelines of your own. :?

I'm sorry if it offended you, I just wanted to bring new life to a new competition thread...

Meh, I got lazy...you aren't too mad, are you...?

:oops:
Goodbye, cruel world...
I'm leaving you today

Goodbye, all you people
Goodbye...

PostTue Aug 28, 2007 5:12 pm Offline
Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:06 pm2254New Atlanta, Sector 11, Building 71G
No, you misunderstand, it's just the opposite. I was actually a little embarrassed that you copied the rules and intro that I came up with, since I had assumed that anyone starting a new one would definitely want to come up with something better. There's also the slight problem of how I did end up changing the rules after the fact (later in the thread) to accommodate more entries and make the voting easier, and the fact that I wish I hadn't mentioned NYGuy322's name given an incident that happened with him last year.

Anyway, I think I'll just wait and see how this turns out for the time being. Good luck, everyone.

Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Page 1 of 6 82 posts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next