Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 1 of 1 4 posts
Production Blog Entry for March 25, 2008 PostTue Mar 25, 2008 11:03 pm OfflineSite Admin
Thu May 20, 2004 7:52 am2362The Internet
R. Emmett Sibley, Production Assistant:
Yo Reader,

I've heard you missed me. You've yearned for my writings over the last few months. Thought about me during those quite moments in your life...

Since my last blog I have accomplished 3 of my life goals:
De-clawed a white tiger in less than 4 minutes while blind folded in the Sudan region.
(I totally crushed Trey’s record of 5 and 1/2 minutes)
Successfully skippered a 1979 48' Cheoy Lee Perry Designed Aft Cockpit Ketch Sailboat through the BVI's from Tortola to Salt island.
(Thanks again for navigating, Matt, or should I say “little buddy”)
Became a highly respected Special Effects Cinematographer...

Special Effects Cinematographer?
For what?
Not a crappy 16mm student film about your step father (Oh really, it was black and white?... yes, I would love to lose 15 minutes of my life watching it) or the internet video of you and the fellas made dancing to Soulja Boy’s “Superman” shirtless (hilarious, guys, keep making the world smile). I am a Special Effects Cinematographer for SOUTH PARK.

This week we travel back to 1981 to the movie HEAVY METAL! A Canadian tale produced by Ivan Reitman (Space Jam) voiced by the likes of John Candy (The Clown Murders) with a Soundtrack including Sammy Haggar (The Waboritas).

Heavy Metal employed a classic animation technique born in 1915 by Max Fleischer called Rotoscoping. Wikipedia defines Rotoscoping as an animation technique in which animators trace over live-action film movement, frame by frame, for use in animated films. One half of this week episode is done traditional South Park style while the other half is rotoscoped from footage filmed in house.

http://images.southparkstudios.com/img/content/blog/55a.jpg

R Emmett enough with all of that knowledge, how does this relate to you and your greatness?
Well virgin reader, The Park needed someone with vision, a keen eye, a Mastery of the Fine Arts to put all the action on digital video(DV). The Powers That Be (PTB) only had one name in mind… R EMMETT SIBLEY.

Daryl ( Line Producer) organized several shoots. Adrien (producer / storyboard supervisor) told me of his vision and directed the action. The PA staff Nate (best boy) Mike (key grip) and Gary (… an extra hand I guess?) pitched in to make the magic happen. C-stands, sand bags, a green screen, 3 – 650s and 12 C-47s were used to whip a together a 3 point lighting scheme that would make Christopher Doyle (cool film reference) sit up and beg for buttermilk (another cool film reference). My subject: the beautiful Lisa Daniels, a hard working actress that has starred in over 29 films in 3 years, showed us how Heavy our Metal can get. Google her... you won’t be sorry.

I set my f-stop to around f/4, looked at the 42 inch plasma monitor and watched South Park come to life. The footage was then rushed to our main room where animators hired to rotoscope the footage for this episode went to work on Cintiq monitors. Everything was animated frame by frame without paper. This mixture of digital know-how mixed with good old-fashioned movie making was a site to see. Is this another Emmy-winning episode… answer: Only time will tell. (*!WINK!*) The show centers around boobs. The Academy of Television Science loves boobs. That’s how “Two and a Half Men” has won 4 Emmy’s and 1 People’s Choice Award. Lots of Boobs... Boobs.

Enjoy the Major Boobage.

Special Effects Cinematographer
R Emmett Sibley
Re: Production Blog Entry for March 25, 2008 PostWed Mar 26, 2008 3:54 am Offline
Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:43 pm18789I was over nah, but now I'm over heah.
God damn, that dog sure gets around doesn't he?
ImageImageImage

You know, I hear that they implore that Rotoscoping technique on The Venture Bros., only there's a mannequin head and a trophy on a bucket involved, and an old turntable in there somewhere or something... it's a little over my head really. :lol:

Seriously though, it seems like there are some sizable pros and cons to Rotoscoping. It seems like it'd be time consuming and tedious, yet it sounds like the best way to get the scenes done the way you want them. There's no going, "Oh, so-n-so needs to really be over here, and that person needs to be facing this way a little more, oh and who's-de-whatchit needs to be a little bigger to be able to better interact with da-da-da..." and so on.
Re: Production Blog Entry for March 25, 2008 PostWed Mar 26, 2008 1:38 pm Offline
Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:20 pm176
Great entry!
Really really curious bout the new episode then! EMMY material!? :)
I'd love to try rotoscoping sometime. Being someone who knows little about animation beyond Flash, it would be extremely educational at least, if tedious.
Re: Production Blog Entry for March 25, 2008 PostThu Mar 27, 2008 12:59 pm Offline
Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:50 pm0
Photoshopped lab on roof is unimpressive. My Pit Bull spends a(n) (un)healthy amount of time on the roof, jumping from the second-story deck rail to the roof. Of secondary importance, she could also kick that labs ass, were she a fighter.

Finally, I would like to say how pleased I am to know the creators of the grandest show to ever grace television are enlightened enough to want their art freely available to their fans. I am very f*cking pleased. I love you guys, and I love your work. Thank you.

Parker and Stone, 08.

Sort by  
Page 1 of 1 4 posts