Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 1 of 1 12 posts
Why can't we show Muhammad? PostSun Apr 18, 2010 12:47 pm Offline
Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:01 pm9
I wanted to post this on "Don't show Muhammad EVER", but whoever was enough of a dickwad to make it wouldn't let anyone reply to it. I hate to get all political on a South Park website, but the fact that you can't show Muhammad but can show Jesus, and Moses, and Krishna, etc., is just plain wrong. I mean, I'm o.k with you showing MY religious figure... it's not like it's a sin or anything. It's just not being fair to the other religions. B.T.W, I'm not trash talking South Park, just Comedy Central (Who won't let them show him), and the guy who made "Don't show Muhammad EVER", because the're BOTH being dickwads. I applaud to Comedey Centrals shows, and as for "Don't show Muhammad EVER" dude, I wouldn't have posted this if it was "Don't show Muhammad or Jesus or Buddha or Krishna of Moses or ANYONE EVER", because THEN I would understand. GO SOUTH PARK!!!
Re: Why can't we show Muhammad? PostSun Apr 18, 2010 1:11 pm Offline
Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:51 pm4292San Jose, California
You couldn't reply because the thread was locked by a moderator of this forum. It was done because too many threads were being created just for this reason.

It is widely held to be against the Islamic faith to depict the Prophet Muhammad in any sense at all.

Do we care? No. Most of us don't. Because if you were to try and respect the beliefs of every religion, you'd end up contradicting yourself. Hell, you'll do that if you try to respect the beliefs of any one religion.

Wikipedia at this moment has several depictions of him, including an illustration from centuries ago by a European artist where Muhammad is being tortured in hell. I don't see anyone raising a hissy fit over that...
Re: Why can't we show Muhammad? PostSun Apr 18, 2010 1:38 pm OfflineBoard Moderator
  • YIM
Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:57 am17369Hollywood, CA
I was the one who locked the thread. And the several other similar ones made over the past four days. We don't need those threads when we have a perfectly good post-episode thread in which the subject of showing the Prophet has been brought up and discussed. But to answer your question, some strains of Islam have had a rule against showing Muhammad in any form for centuries now. That rule existed before South Park came along, it will exist long after South Park leaves the air. Matt and Trey are iconoclasts, so they're upset they can't show Muhammad, much less mock him, like they do with Jesus, Moses, Krishna, and Buddha.

Some Muslim theologians say there isn't any prohibition in Islam about depicting Muhammad, and you can find Arabic documents that clearly show Muhammad as clearly as anyone else.

Islam prohibits neither images of Muhammad nor jokes about religion.
My SP Fan Site.

Favorite Character: Chef (RIP, for reals this time)
Favorite Episode: Anyone with Butters in it.
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Re: Why can't we show Muhammad? PostSun Apr 18, 2010 4:16 pm Offline
Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:20 pm5070
Big-Will wrote:
IIslam prohibits neither images of Muhammad nor jokes about religion.

Really? OK, joke time:

The reason it is forbidden to show Muhammad’s face is because they don’t want Jack Bauer to recognize him.
Re: Why can't we show Muhammad? PostMon Apr 19, 2010 10:40 am Offline
Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:11 am4
Well, you cannot show Muhammed because they first showed him uncensored in the episodes Cartoon Wars which created a huge argument with the Muslims and the creators of South Park therefore resulting in Comady Central to ban showing Prophet Muhammed on T.V. But in the episode 200, Trey Parker wanted to make fun of this situation and therefore censored him. I hope this helps with your question
Re: Why can't we show Muhammad? PostTue Apr 20, 2010 12:52 am Offline
Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:22 pm3
I'm a muslim and i try to answer your question.Prophet Muhammed forbade drawing his picture. Because he know about wrong belief in Christianity. Cristians see Jesus Crist son of the God. But in Quran God says Jesus and Muhammed are not his son, they are only prophet. But by the time Jesus began to see son of God. Everywhere full with his pictures and sculptures. Prophet Muhammed forbade drawing picture for this.He don't want obviate to God.

I treid to answer your question with my bad English.see you
Re: Why can't we show Muhammad? PostTue Apr 20, 2010 5:03 am Offline
Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:21 am24AZ
I think its pretty funny what they are doing with Muhammad this episode is cool they brought back some old stuff too all so funny :lol:
(I'm Gothic so is my wife)
Re: Why can't we show Muhammad? PostTue Apr 20, 2010 8:59 am Offline
Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:51 am1
Matt, Trey show Mohammed! I am sick and tired of everyone being afraid of Muslims. You have the balls to offend everyone else let them have it. The pansies that run our government don't have what it takes. You will have the American people and in fact most of the world backing you up.
Re: Why can't we show Muhammad? PostTue Apr 27, 2010 3:05 pm Offline
Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:44 am5
libertarian1 hat geschrieben :
> Matt, Trey show Mohammed! I am sick and tired of everyone being afraid of
> Muslims. You have the balls to offend everyone else let them have it. The
> pansies that run our government don't have what it takes. You will have
> the American people and in fact most of the world backing you up.

this. there was no insult against islam or muslims at all, just against fanatics. back in the 40's some english guy called winston churchill once said "We will never surrender!", and this one just goes into the same area. screw those fanatics with jokes, maybe one day they'll find out how ridicoulous they actually are. keep on going, don't step back cause of wannabe terrorists.
Re: Why can't we show Muhammad? PostWed Nov 10, 2010 4:44 am Offline
Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:24 am5
In a way, I think they pissed of Muslim's more by censoring Muhammad the way they did, than actually showing Muhammad at all.
Re: Why can't we show Muhammad? PostThu Nov 11, 2010 3:48 pm Offline
Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:58 pm3
watch Super Best Friends(season 5) you can see Muhammad and he's not censored :)
Re: Why can\'t we show Muhammad? PostFri Nov 19, 2010 4:11 pm Offline
Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:42 pm2
I think that Penn Jillette approached the subject very well in his Penn point netcast. Fundamentalist muslims are so CRAZY SOB\'s that they will put a fatwa on you if you draw a Muhammad picture - and actually WILL try to kill you. As Penn so very well put it \"they don\'t play by the rules\". They are simply out of the reach of reason and common sense - they are blinded by faith and are thus dangerous. I\'m an agnostic - never have been a member of any religion shape or form, but I have a DEEP RESPECT to any religion that lets people make fun of it. No good religion have never fallen because of few jokes.

http://revision3.com/pennpoint/mollynorris

Sort by  
Page 1 of 1 12 posts