Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 1 of 1 5 posts
Will there be Copyright issues? PostSat Nov 23, 2013 1:23 am Offline
Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:53 am4
I'd like to make a SouthPark fan-based game. I'd put disclaimers and I'm not charging anything for it. It'd be completely free. Is that against Comedy Centrals terms and conditions? I read the entire thing and it mentioned not being able to redistributed likeness or a feel for anything from SouthPark, but fan art and separate indie games haven't had any problems. Would it be a waste of time if I made it?
Re: Will there be Copyright issues? PostSat Nov 23, 2013 12:37 pm Offline
Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:51 pm4292San Jose, California
It's not a waste of time. Comedy Central won't do anything. There have been tons of fan-made games. The law states that as long as the general public is not confused, by the standards of what a court deems a "reasonable person" over the authenticity and source of a product, service, artwork, game, etc., it falls under the legal bracket. Parodies are also protected from copyright law. This is why Weird Al has never been sued, though he gets permission from everyone he parodies.
Re: Will there be Copyright issues? PostSat Nov 23, 2013 8:55 pm Offline
Thank you so much for the reply. The download will be here and in google play eventually itunes for a free download when I'm done.
Re: Will there be Copyright issues? PostSun Nov 24, 2013 5:46 pm OfflineBoard Moderator
  • YIM
Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:57 am17369Hollywood, CA
Fifteen years ago there was a graphics designer named juz who used to make South Park art, with 3D versions of the characters. He didn't get in trouble with Comedy Central for using the characters or other elements from the show (the school, City Hall, etc.), but people began using his designs to sell their own stuff without giving him something for his work, and that forced him out of the fan base. So be careful.
My SP Fan Site.

Favorite Character: Chef (RIP, for reals this time)
Favorite Episode: Anyone with Butters in it.
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Re: Will there be Copyright issues? PostMon Nov 25, 2013 1:38 am Offline
I see, I'd really rather not sell it. Plus I'm having fun coding this thing so far so we'll see how this goes. Thanks you guys for your advice.

Sort by  
Page 1 of 1 5 posts