Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 4 of 9 135 posts Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
Re: *1602: Cash For Gold* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Mar 22, 2012 7:55 am Offline
Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:46 pm20
It's episodes like this one which remind me why South Park is so special. This episode tackled some heavy subjects, showing Alzheimer's for the terrible disease it is, while also exposing the sleaze that take advantage of those who suffer from it (as well as commenting on companies who pass the buck, the jewelry trade in India, and others). These subjects are a disgusting reality that are best served sugar coated to be realized by those who repress them. This episode did a great job doing that in a thoughtful and sensitive manor. It's a great episode to show someone who is new to South Park the depth of the show.
Re: *1602: Cash For Gold* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Mar 22, 2012 8:01 am Offline
Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:12 am1
I thought this episode was great- As always, digging the perspective. Had just been talking to my grandmother in the nursing home about how old people are taken advantage of and how sick it is. I'd be just as ticked as Stan, and the scene at the end where he gives his grandfather a picture is perfect. Also liked the idea that the kid in India knew exactly what to give him.

As for the repeated gold cycle... I wasn't so much under the impression it was repeated as it was showing you how the workshop kid was waiting for the right materials to make the picture frame. Kind of killing two birds with one stone; displaying the disturbing network of this business while keeping it in touch with the story about Stan and his Grandpa. Overall it seems pretty damn solid. Maybe I didn't roll around laughing like some other episodes, but it left me smiling.
Re: *1602: Cash For Gold* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Mar 22, 2012 8:20 am Offline
Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:13 am1
I actually work at the network (Gem Shopping Network) they are spoofing and a bunch of us watched the episode last night with the host they were spoofing. Let me tell you it was awesome because they got our channel down pact. They must really watch the channel alot. The host they had down pact too from the western shirt,scarf,right down to his mannerisms. That ("You don't even pronounce the 'x.' How do you like that for prestigious?") line was something Mike said one time and they used it. Great episode. The host took it for what it was and that it was a parody of himself and our network. He was impressed.
Re: Border collie named Patches PostThu Mar 22, 2012 9:48 am Offline
Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:00 pm937
Marshall_Scotch wrote:
This past Feb. My parents called me to ask me to help put their dead dong in the car and drive to the Vets. to be buried or cremated or whatever.

It was a 112 pound border Collie....named Patches
No sh*t. I am really creeped out right now.

I didnt know where to put this thread so I just put it here.

Just a thought, but you could have put this in the thread about "Cash For Gold."
To believe in something just because you're afraid of the consequences if you don't believe in something is no reason to believe in something.
Re: *1602: Cash For Gold* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Mar 22, 2012 10:22 am Offline
  • YIM
Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:53 pm191Milwaukee WI
9 out of 10

I really enjoyed the emotional story with Stan and his Grandfather and felt they were the best moments of this episode. The old people in the end calling the network seller and following Stan's lead in telling him he should kill himself followed by him finally doing it was the second best moment of the episode. Cartman's side story dying down without it resolved was a bit annoying and thought it would have ended when he realised that the retailers he was buying from were pulling the same tactics as him. It's not perfect but I thought it was still an enjoyable episode.
"Sticks and stones may break my bones but words ... words might hurt me deeply, causing great emotional, mental, and psychological damage leading to a lowered self-esteem and decreased work-related efficiency."
-- Anonymous
Re: *1602: Cash For Gold* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Mar 22, 2012 10:52 am Offline
Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:11 pm78
Overall a very good, not quite great episode. I enjoyed the season opener a little more. However, Cash 4 Gold did have some funny moments:

*Randy scolding Grandpa for wasting $$$ on frivolous things - "That's our money after you die."
* Cartman's insanely devilish formula for making gold.
* Stan telling the Jewlery network host to kill himself.
* Trey voicing the old ladies on phone buying jewlery, one forgetting her last name, the other lost on the freeway!

Glad T&M added the tender moments between Stan and his Grandpa. Makes me like Stan even more. But Grandpa, at the end, telling Stan that bolo tie was F'n gay... :lol:
So. Cash 4 Gold - 7.5/10. Can not wait for the Chupacabra episode!!
Re: Border collie named Patches PostThu Mar 22, 2012 11:52 am OfflineBoard Moderator
  • YIM
Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:57 am17368Hollywood, CA
NeuroHeart wrote:
Marshall_Scotch wrote:
This past Feb. My parents called me to ask me to help put their dead dong in the car and drive to the Vets. to be buried or cremated or whatever.

It was a 112 pound border Collie....named Patches
No sh*t. I am really creeped out right now.

I didnt know where to put this thread so I just put it here.

Just a thought, but you could have put this in the thread about "Cash For Gold."

...I can. :)
My SP Fan Site.

Favorite Character: Chef (RIP, for reals this time)
Favorite Episode: Anyone with Butters in it.
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Re: *1602: Cash For Gold* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Mar 22, 2012 11:58 am Offline
Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:06 pm2
You guys, but seriously... The F#*(@-0!

1/10
Re: *1602: Cash For Gold* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Mar 22, 2012 12:05 pm Offline
Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:52 am2272Croatia (SE Europe)
Weird episode... Not bad, not too good. Got a few laughs from it. "I don't know where you got it, but it's f*cking gay as f*ck" was pretty funny.
The guy killing himself at the end was expected. It was just something that had to happen.

Edit: Thoughout the ep I had a feeling they didn't have enough material for a full ep so they stretched it as much as they could. Anyone else got that impression?
Re: *1602: Cash For Gold* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Mar 22, 2012 12:29 pm Offline
Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:32 am2732So Cal
I'm shocked so many people disliked the episode. Sure Cartman being 'f*cked' was rehashed but I was still laughing. And so we didn't see the resolution for his business... I think we can all assume it didn't pan out. Yes they didn't have to show the little jewelry trade twice but that was it's only major flaw for me. The shopping network bits were long and I usually hate those scenes that drag on but they were funny this time around. What with the old ladies calling in, not knowing their last name and being lost on a highway. Then of course Stan wanting the man to kill himself. Then the end, all the old people telling him to do it and he finally does. They were funny scenes.

Not to mention it was heartwarming, Stan and Grandpa. He may have just gotten a pic of a random dog online and Photoshopped it in but it's the thought that counts :).

I dunno, this ep. was a lot better than last week's. Proper usage of the toilet, looking at people's buttholes, and Clyde's mom dying is not quite as funny, at least not to me. I really don't think next week's will be as good as this one was. Hm...
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.
Re: *1602: Cash For Gold* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Mar 22, 2012 12:31 pm OfflineBoard Moderator
  • YIM
Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:57 am17368Hollywood, CA
Mamont wrote:
Edit: Thoughout the ep I had a feeling they didn't have enough material for a full ep so they stretched it as much as they could. Anyone else got that impression?

Yeppir. And they couldn't follow through with the material they did have. Like, they dropped Cartman's storyline when they got to India. We don't get to see if Cartman learned anything, or if he got a comeuppance, or anything else.
My SP Fan Site.

Favorite Character: Chef (RIP, for reals this time)
Favorite Episode: Anyone with Butters in it.
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Re: *1602: Cash For Gold* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Mar 22, 2012 1:00 pm Offline
Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:46 pm20
Also, did anyone else notice when Stan gave the picture to his Grandpa there was a squirrel with a tiny top-hat and bow-tie on running around in the background? haha weird!
Re: *1602: Cash For Gold* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Mar 22, 2012 1:09 pm Offline
Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:42 am115
I have the same problem most people have with this episode. The sane disturbing thing with both this episode and last week's is that they are dragging scenes out too long. Last time, the 2nd time where it was the guy masturbating was dragged out for like a minute. And why'd they show the extremely long cycle in in of itself TWICE! And 60% of this episode was recycled material from previous episodes.

This would've been better as a 15-minute episode, because I feel they only had 15 minutes of material.

This is a rather disappointing season, I give this episode a 6/10. Even week's was better with an 8/10, because it was still South Park à la Season 1.
If you don't like the direction SP's going in, quit watching.There's nothing we could do about it, unless you're producer or higher in the authority chain.And they won't listen to fan ideas.It's not worth your time to only hate.
Re: *1602: Cash For Gold* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Mar 22, 2012 1:29 pm Offline
Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:46 pm143Park County Police Station
Really good in the beginning, kinda meh towards the end.

What I don't get is why all of the sudden the old people want the guy to kill himself? Maybe the time spent on repeating the jewelry cycle should've been Cartman giving a "I learned something today" on TV about everyone getting f*cked, that way it explains how some old people found out it's a scam.

Ah well. The cash for gold crap is getting ridiculous, though. The day after the episode was announced, I took a look around Jamaica Avenue (in NYC) and noticed a "We Buy Gold" sign...then 2 stores down there was another...then 2 stores down there were 2 "We Buy Gold" stores right next to each other. And 1 of them has an annoying 20 second loop of some guy repeating about how they buy gold, diamonds, etc. :x
Characters Ranked by Speaking Appearances...y'know, if you care about useless, autistic trivia like that.

Favorite Characters: Randy, Yates, and Butters
Favorite Episode: Cartman's Incredible Gift
Favorite Pairing: Randy x Sharon
Re: *1602: Cash For Gold* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Mar 22, 2012 1:53 pm Offline
Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:44 am1219Bedford (U.K)
It is the same here in England cash for gold places have cropped up everywhere one particular company there slogan is "If your tv is broken you throw it in the skip if your jewellery is broken sell it to Hatton goldsmith we pay good prices.
Kyle: Why? How could you do this? There are people starving in Alabama and you give Cartman a million dollars?

Cartman: Line? Lines! I HATE LINES!!!
Last edited by James--76 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sort by  
Page 4 of 9 135 posts Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next