Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 7 of 9 135 posts Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Re: *1602: Cash For Gold* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Mar 23, 2012 2:42 pm Offline
Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:13 pm3
i knew people would be frustrated with the shopping channel shots but that was one of the best parts about it...the whole episode reminded me of something out of tim and eric
Re: *1602: Cash For Gold* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Mar 23, 2012 3:39 pm Offline
Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:32 am2732So Cal
triplemultiplex wrote:
There can be a fine line between having an episode with a running joke and an episode with a repetitive joke. Most of the time, when I see people complain about a repetitive joke, it's actually a pretty good runner, in my opinion. South Park is really good at the runner. Usually it's in the form of an episode specific catchphrase for Fatass (Paging Dr. Sandy Vagina!).

And when people are impatient with the shopping channel scenes, you've got to remember that part of the comedy of those scenes is the verbatim portrayal of what those shopping channels are really like; they are a parody of themselves. And you need a long scene to do that. We're so accustomed to shows that hurl jokes at us as fast as possible, it's refreshing to see something with slower pacing that just lets the viewer sit in the absurdity of what's being parodied.

On any other show, a lot of those scenes would have been trimmed down over months of rewrites. It's fascinating with South Park because your usually seeing what would be a first draft on other shows. Seven weeks of a stream of consciousness from Matt & Trey's brains to your boob tube.
(Ha! There's no tubes in TV's anymore!)

I agree. The jokes were from the shopping networks and that's how they are so that's what they did and that is why those scenes were funny. They didn't need to be trimmed, at least not to me. Because again, that's where some of the jokes came from! And I usually do not like those long scenes that drag on. Like last week's, with the surveillance guy masturbating. That went on for too long and was too slow, it was almost uncomfortable.

@ 99 i fail: Well I could say that at such-and-such point in the episode this and that happened. And I was laughing plenty. A lot actually. Again, everyone has their own opinion. I thought the ep was very funny indeed.
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.
Re: *1602: Cash For Gold* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Mar 23, 2012 3:49 pm Offline
Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:32 pm2
I thought the episode was fantastic.

It had a solid blend of old and new.

I can't believe some people didn't like it...I thought the jewlery store guy just spitting numbers was fairly entertaining and couldn't help but love the little the song they played during the "long" flight scenes. I don't think 3 min is too long considering it brought the whole thing full circle, no pun intended.

My favorite part was when Stan told the guy to kill himself, the delivery was prime at the end "...Do it." Maybe I'm just looking for it a little, but it showed that darker cold side of Stan. Also, who didn't love Cartman's suck my balls ditties and that classic Butters accomplice. I'm also a sucker for when they get all serious.

Well done boys. 9/10
Re: *1602: Cash For Gold* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Mar 23, 2012 5:17 pm Offline
Sun May 23, 2010 3:40 pm13
I've seen quite a number of people expressing their displeasure at Butters hanging around Cartman "all of the sudden" the reason Butters hangs around Cartman so much is because he is gullible and easily manipulated, and Cartman, as we know, is a devious and masterful manipulator. I am not surprised at the pairing, which is not recent, remember Awesome-o? I'm sure there are others, but I can't remember their names. Regardless, the point is that the pairing itself is a joke, Butters is often, duped, tricked, manipulated, or just plain coerced into doing ridicules, dangerous and messed up things by and often for Cartman.
Re: *1602: Cash For Gold* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Mar 23, 2012 5:58 pm Offline
^ The thing is there's usually a reason Butters is with Cartman. We usually see Cartman manipulate him into joining him. To see Butters as his aid, spinning the Cash 4 Gold sign for no reason other than to have two 'polar opposites' together... well that's annoying.

Haa, I love that line.
Re: *1602: Cash For Gold* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Mar 23, 2012 6:09 pm Offline
Sun May 23, 2010 3:40 pm13
Hey, in this economy, a guy's gotta take what he can get. Besides, he was a sign twirler, and he had mad skills
Re: *1602: Cash For Gold* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Mar 23, 2012 11:33 pm Offline
Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:37 pm41
Niels0827 wrote:
This episode will be remembered, at least by me, as one of the worst, unfunniest episodes in history.

There must have been 5 whole minutes wasted by just watching the jewelry shopping channel and listening to the announcer, and another 3 minutes watching the supplier business cycle with that horrid tune I can't get out of my head.

1/10
I concur about that stupid tune (one reason why I record it first so I could spin through the junk). At least there were no fart jokes or people taking a crap.
Re: *1602: Cash For Gold* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Mar 23, 2012 11:42 pm Offline
Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:27 am1
One of my top favorites. The recursion might have been too blunt for people to appreciate but some people need it laid out for them like that.
Re: *1602: Cash For Gold* Post-Air Discussion PostSat Mar 24, 2012 5:46 pm Offline
Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:47 pm33
Quote:
Hey, Matt and Trey: Stupid noise beating is NOT funny!

Um, I have to disagree. Stupid noise beating might not be funny to you, but matt and tray obviously think it's hilarious. They have added a lot of stupid noises in many, if not most, episodes... Remember the hilarious noises trey made during the nanny 911 scene in "psst"? that was f$@&% hilarious to me. :lol:

And about butters always being with cartman, I think it's a given now that butters always gets persuades by cartman to do anything. The fact that they didnt show cartman convincing butters is part of the joke, like of course butters would be cartmans f$&@% sign twirler lol. I guess I just really like those two together, anways. Good episode overall. Two good episodes so far for season 16. :D
Re: *1602: Cash For Gold* Post-Air Discussion PostSat Mar 24, 2012 8:45 pm Offline
Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:43 pm18787I was over nah, but now I'm over heah.
I will say that when the "Jewerly Shuffle" first started, I found it annoying. As it progressed, I got into it. I now can't hear it without throwing in a "CHA-CHA-CHA!" at the end. :mrgreen:
Re: *1602: Cash For Gold* Post-Air Discussion PostSat Mar 24, 2012 10:21 pm Offline
Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:52 pm8921Shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque...
BRMBug wrote:
I will say that when the "Jewerly Shuffle" first started, I found it annoying. As it progressed, I got into it. I now can't hear it without throwing in a "CHA-CHA-CHA!" at the end. :mrgreen:

Is that what they're calling it now? :lol:
Re: *1602: Cash For Gold* Post-Air Discussion PostSat Mar 24, 2012 10:37 pm OfflineBoard Moderator
  • YIM
Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:57 am17368Hollywood, CA
I like that better than "the jewelry polka." :cartmanlaugh:
My SP Fan Site.

Favorite Character: Chef (RIP, for reals this time)
Favorite Episode: Anyone with Butters in it.
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Re: *1602: Cash For Gold* Post-Air Discussion PostSun Mar 25, 2012 12:55 am Offline
Aw, I liked 'the jewelry ploka' more. But shuffle works too. :)

I cannot get over Trey's Asian lady voices.

" I know, you walk by my stoh and you say "Oh, there's a nice Asian lady. I think I go in and I f*ck hurh," you Asian-lady f*cker you! "

lmao :lol:

Haa, I love that line.
Re: *1602: Cash For Gold* Post-Air Discussion PostSun Mar 25, 2012 8:49 am Offline
Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:05 pm263
This episode had to be even funnier than the last, and as I see it Matt & Trey have nailed the points they have been parodying. If people are mad/disgusted by fart/jacking off/unnecessarily long scenes, then you can 'GET OUT!' I mean come on people this is the general roots of South Park we're talking about. Not everybody is built like your hardcore SP fan, those who don't wait to laugh, yet at the same time look for what it is that the producer was going for/hitting on. I will always find South Park funny, thrilling, dramatic, sad, cute, maddening, romantic, scary, hysterical and most of all memorable.
South Park is amazing and anyone who doesn't think so should learn how to Respect My Authoritah! LOL South Park Rulez!
Re: *1602: Cash For Gold* Post-Air Discussion PostSun Mar 25, 2012 9:01 am Offline
Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:51 am8
Season 16 has a very good start. I haven't laughed this hard in a long time. The "kill yourself" calls were what made the episode for me. Especially how the guy reacted to them, and the Asian ladies also made me enjoy it more. Kenny also called Cartman a "f*cking assh*le"... That made me laugh because I can't remember a time when Kenny stood up to Cartman like that. It has been a while though.
This episode was balanced - Not too much shown of Cartman's scheme, not too much shown of the others ranting about how bad it is.
I recently lost a neighbour who was practically family to me, so the Patches story made me smile, complete with the picture frame.
raidpirate52 wrote:

I feel it's a bit stupid that Matt and Trey loathe being compared to Family Guy. I mean they make it well known they can't stand that. But this episode just screamed "Just like Family Guy"...nothing but random/unnecessary jokes. And then repeat over and over.

South Park is NOTHING like Family Guy, only during the "Cartoon Wars" episodes. Family Guy relies on random scenes parodying celebrities in flashback form a lot. South Park doesn't do that at all, I've seen every episode of South Park. South Park sticks to a plot with an occasional twist or turn.
>that awkward moment when your last name is McCormick

Sort by  
Page 7 of 9 135 posts Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next