Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 3 of 7 105 posts Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Re: *1609: Raising the Bar* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Oct 04, 2012 12:36 am OfflineBoard Moderator
  • YIM
Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:57 am17369Hollywood, CA
He has to lose those extra pounds so he wouldn't stay a superfatass driving around on a scooter, heh.

You think Matt and Trey are trying to change the direction of the show? Last week they worried about being so sarcastic that no one would take them seriously again (or maybe that people are too dumb to detect sarcasm), and this week they worried about how low TV has gone, and how we older folk might have contributed to that.
My SP Fan Site.

Favorite Character: Chef (RIP, for reals this time)
Favorite Episode: Anyone with Butters in it.
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Re: *1609: Raising the Bar* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Oct 04, 2012 1:24 am Offline
Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:54 pm5860Australia
I think there was a message that rang off that episode --(Well, Duh! every single episode has a good message!) --but i think this one had a pretty good one. and true.

What's happened. My depiction of the message:
we're lowering the bar to unintelligible depths (how is that even possible...) that we're shamelessly watching shows of people exploiting other people for money. So shamelessly that Token even stepped in for his share of $. or maybe we like watching people suffer. and we're watching that, raising their ratings. in turn, sending the bar plummeting to illogical depths. Why are we watching world's fattest? why are we watching Honey Boo Boo? why the hell are we watching fat vs skinny? The hell's gotten into us!?

now onto actual episode analysis:
I really did think Cartman would actually take action and loose weight.... The whole "yeah they are oreos" and look in the glass window. the entire drama was really convincing-- drives in with massive scooter. You can always count on unpredictable elements with this show.
Not sure why he picked Kyle as the "anorexic" when Craig? is the skinniest? but that might be because, well.... He hates Kyle. i do not know why i found it hilarious that a public figure (Michelle Obama) was beating the crap out of Cartman, but maybe that was because in reality, that probably wouldn't even happen. so it was funny due to unlikeliness of that scenario.
Stan actually watches Honey Boo Boo? wth? that's the impression i got.
Oh good, Cartman was more in character here... and yes i guessed the heart transplant was in the plot-- would have been funnier if they were betting for the transplant.. nah.. sad and drama, not SP esk at all.... wow, this is a long review. i'll stop here---

To cut a long story short:
this episode was one of the better ones, with a strong message. As a whole. south park pulled off another funny episode with an unpredictable note of brilliance... and difference to it.

To cut that story shorter:
great, unpredictable plot.

To cut it SHORTER:

8/10
"We're all just a bunch of multi-coloured humans!"
Re: *1609: Raising the Bar* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Oct 04, 2012 1:57 am Offline
Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:44 am1219Bedford (U.K)
Finally got a chance to see this, i thought it was good i liked the James Cameron parts as they remineded of his explorations of the Titanic that he did.

I also liked Kyle`s speech to Token plus Cartman & later his solicitor trying to get through doorways.
Kyle: Why? How could you do this? There are people starving in Alabama and you give Cartman a million dollars?

Cartman: Line? Lines! I HATE LINES!!!
Re: *1609: Raising the Bar* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Oct 04, 2012 2:08 am Offline
Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:04 am1
Probably the best episode overall in the teen seasons for South Park. Matt and Trey, I tip you my hat on this one for you've put me in tears over how hilarious your wit has evolved over the years. Thanks for reminding me why I'm an avid viewer! :) Chopping the James Cameron theme song from halfway through the episode to the ending after a 10-hit combo of hilarious dialogue via (nobody other than) James Cameron.
Re: *1609: Raising the Bar* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Oct 04, 2012 3:44 am Offline
Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:52 am2272Croatia (SE Europe)
First part was really good. Wall Mart having scooters available at the entrance, Cartman's scooter not being able to fit in Kyle's bathroom, kids tipping over a fat guy... hilarious. And the best part:
- I don't have legs.
- Well, you got skinny arms!

But then the second part ruined it. It seems to me they had to many ideas and tried to fit them all in one ep. Honey Boo Boo, James Cameron, Randy Newman, Michelle Obama... It just derailed the plot. Not that it was badly done, it was just too much.
OK, Cameron saying he has sunk deeper than any man before, Michelle Obama fighting child obesity and crappy subtitles were pretty funny, but all in all, it was... meh. Maybe my expectations were too high.
6.5/10
Re: *1609: Raising the Bar* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Oct 04, 2012 3:56 am Offline
Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:33 am16
I preferred Sarcastaball but it was still an OK episode. I loved Michelle Obama at the end. I was a little confused by Token's motives and the James Cameron/Randy Newman part was random but that's South Park for you. I really loved that closing line though; "James Cameron doesn't do what James Cameron does for James Cameron. James Cameron does what James Cameron does because James Cameron is.....James Cameron!"

I don't know why I just loved that part. :lol:

Bring on next week :)
Re: *1609: Raising the Bar* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Oct 04, 2012 5:20 am Offline
Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:14 am72
Good episode, glad they made fun of "Honey Boo Boo", I hate that show.
Last edited by Biscuits on Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Re: *1609: Raising the Bar* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Oct 04, 2012 5:24 am Offline
Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:12 pm13Wuhan,China
6.5/10
What I want to say is this episode is just OK.Nothing's special.And,obviously,the Cameron song is good.
Hope T&M can do better the next episode,I do love south park.
Re: *1609: Raising the Bar* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Oct 04, 2012 5:25 am Offline
Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:20 pm5070
DawnAvenue wrote:
6.5/10
What I want to say is this episode is just OK.Nothing's special.And,obviously,the Cameron song is good.
Hope T&M can do better the next episode,I do love south park.

Thank you DawnAvenue; my sentiments exactly.
Nothing more for me to add :)
Re: *1609: Raising the Bar* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Oct 04, 2012 8:26 am Offline
Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:30 am16
I really want SPS to release an MP3 of the James Cameron song.
Re: *1609: Raising the Bar* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Oct 04, 2012 9:47 am Offline
Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:45 pm94The YAY Area!
Is it just me, or did Token's rationale for sinking down to Honey Boo Boo's level appear to have a slightly racist tinge to it? He said at one point "but she's not black, Kyle. She's white" with a bit of a dark tone. Maybe he's plotting a gradual destruction of white people through saturating media with Honey Boo Boo-like shows? :mrgreen:

Well, at least Stan seems to be fully back to his good self after veering off in Assburgers/Bass to Mouth/Butterballs.

Favorite Characters: KYLE -- STAN -- WENDY -- BUTTERS
Favorite Character to hate: C A R T M A N !!!

Favorite Episode: THE LIST
Re: *1609: Raising the Bar* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Oct 04, 2012 10:26 am Offline
Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:46 pm143Park County Police Station
This episode felt like a hodgepodge of different ideas. Didn't really feel organized but overall it was funny, and that's what matters the most, right?
Characters Ranked by Speaking Appearances...y'know, if you care about useless, autistic trivia like that.

Favorite Characters: Randy, Yates, and Butters
Favorite Episode: Cartman's Incredible Gift
Favorite Pairing: Randy x Sharon
Re: *1609: Raising the Bar* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Oct 04, 2012 10:33 am Offline
Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:36 am1436in a secret underground bunker
At first I was gonna say this episode was better than last week, but now I'm not so sure... :? :|

The first Act was fantastic! True South Park. Cartman running all over people...the mobility scooter idea was the pure genius, bread and butter work of the show!! Him not liking lines and yelling at a REAL disabled kid. That is Cartman! :cartmanevil: And then I really had high hopes when Token said that he was gonna get something in return.... :o

But then came Acts 2 and 3! :shock:

I expected the "Honey Boo Boo" thing but it was kinda boring, nastalgic if you ask me. Then the James Cameron thing...REALLY?!? I liked the Randy Newman singing and the Token 'rift' on Cartman trying to make money off of it :lol: But the whole James Cameron "Bar" Thing was just kinda....nah. :|

The whole Honey Boo Boo. She's a mess. It was somewhat funny, but the Pig Heart...I mean she is a pig (whiny pig bitch if you ask me :roll: ) but idk I just wasn't too enthraled. Then came Mrs. Obama. I liked Cartman getting beat up at the end (prick deserves it! :P ) but all in all....it just was a big letdown after having a big hype at the beginning. James Cameron was stupid. Honey Boo Boo was just a nack at the ratings war thing, and it too was just uncessary.

Maybe South Park is losing the battle. It shouldn't be trying to "Lower" themselves to the standards of TLC and MTV.

and another thing..FIX Those stupid Commercials. 5 minutes of them inbetween segments, is that necessary?? :x :cartmanangry:

6.5/10
RTL: I love being a dick to people for no reason. It makes me feel better about how my mom smacks me around with a frozen T Bone steak.
Re: *1609: Raising the Bar* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Oct 04, 2012 6:07 pm Offline
Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:02 am2
raidpirate52 wrote:
Was there a point...at all to James Cameron? It added nothing.

If yo don't get it, why do you watch South Park anway?.. James Cameron is a lowest possible douche. His movies suck. Please watch real Cinema at first. Actually many times I have been surprised that there still are some people with common sence in USA... amazing... I was in New Jersey.. I could nt believe, that there might be people beeing so fat they need a wheelchair... From European's pont of view thi is more than sick...
Re: *1609: Raising the Bar* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Oct 04, 2012 6:14 pm Offline
Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:02 am2
Stella1 wrote:
The only episode of South Park that did not produce one laugh for me. I never thought I would live to see these guys miss an irony - they mourn a lowered bar while being adult males calling a 7 year old female a pig. They were officially elitist snobs in this episode too. It's not even funny in South Park for rich guys to kick a poor family around because some of them are fat. Where did James Cameron come from? They didn't even have a funny song this episode. They actually could have used Randy tonight.

First of all, I would never write coments on episode becouse it looks weird... I feel like that fat kid having no life, but I only becouse I found this episode really strong in terms of humiliating James Cameron (who is the archetype of commercial Hollywood movies) and makeing fun of fat people in whelchairs (which is super funny) because when I came to USA I couldn't believe that there might be such fat people and so many of them). Americans, watch this episode and learn!

Sort by  
Page 3 of 7 105 posts Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next