Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Post new topic Reply to topic
Page 4 of 6 78 posts Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Dec 12, 2013 10:41 pm Offline
  • Profile
Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:21 am15Florida
I loved this episode. It was raw, powerful, and it actually make me like Wendy as a character that much more.

There are two things I just need to say about this episode.

The first is... that this needed to happen. This is the first time that Wendy has gotten into a conflict and lost. She wasn't being 'jelly', nor was she being a 'hater'. She had an honest emotional and psychological argument against a very troubling issue. She fought with logic and reason, and even tried to show people how easy it can be to create these fabrications. Yet no matter how hard she fought; in the end, she learned that there are just some people/conflicts that can't be won - and you will fail because of it.

I think she needed this failure... in order for her to grow. I think that due to this painful realization, Wendy will now learn how to pick her battles and understand her opponents a bit better.

The second thing I need to say is... that I disagree with almost everyone who has commented so far.

I DO NOT FEEL that Wendy gave in at the end. Yes, she began to alter her picture and we saw how painful it hurt her to do it. Yes, we saw her click the send button. But we DID NOT SEE HER CLICK YES! The shot was deliberately cut away before we saw if she did in fact click yes. So to me, this ends the episode on an even stronger note... because it's unknown. Did she give in, or did her strong moral right kick in before she went against her own moral code? It is not certain.

All I do know is that this episode was a new evolution in South Park. This was a very different kind of episode for Matt and Trey. My fiance felt that perhaps this change is due in part to Matt and Trey having wanted to move away from SP and do something new... only to now be implementing those newer ideas into SP itself. Whether or not this is indeed the case, I know I want to see more episodes like this.

Kudos.
A friend indeed, is a friend with Kraft dinner.

Proud Broflovski/Marsh shipper...both of them. XD
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Dec 12, 2013 10:53 pm Offline
  • Profile
Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:52 pm8921Shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque...
ShellyBroflovski wrote:
I loved this episode. It was raw, powerful, and it actually make me like Wendy as a character that much more.

There are two things I just need to say about this episode.

The first is... that this needed to happen. This is the first time that Wendy has gotten into a conflict and lost. She wasn't being 'jelly', nor was she being a 'hater'. She had an honest emotional and psychological argument against a very troubling issue. She fought with logic and reason, and even tried to show people how easy it can be to create these fabrications. Yet no matter how hard she fought; in the end, she learned that there are just some people/conflicts that can't be won - and you will fail because of it.

I think she needed this failure... in order for her to grow. I think that due to this painful realization, Wendy will now learn how to pick her battles and understand her opponents a bit better.

The second thing I need to say is... that I disagree with almost everyone who has commented so far.

I DO NOT FEEL that Wendy gave in at the end. Yes, she began to alter her picture and we saw how painful it hurt her to do it. Yes, we saw her click the send button. But we DID NOT SEE HER CLICK YES! The shot was deliberately cut away before we saw if she did in fact click yes. So to me, this ends the episode on an even stronger note... because it's unknown. Did she give in, or did her strong moral right kick in before she went against her own moral code? It is not certain.

All I do know is that this episode was a new evolution in South Park. This was a very different kind of episode for Matt and Trey. My fiance felt that perhaps this change is due in part to Matt and Trey having wanted to move away from SP and do something new... only to now be implementing those newer ideas into SP itself. Whether or not this is indeed the case, I know I want to see more episodes like this.

Kudos.

Well said, Shelley. (clapping) :)
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Dec 12, 2013 11:11 pm OfflineBoard Moderator
  • WWW
  • YIM
  • Profile
Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:57 am17368Hollywood, CA
ShellyBroflovski wrote:
But we DID NOT SEE HER CLICK YES! The shot was deliberately cut away before we saw if she did in fact click yes.

We saw her move the mouse cursor over "Yes." We saw her click the left button on the mouse. We saw her crying and wiping away her tears right after she did it. Would she be crying if she had clicked "No"? Wouldn't the mouse cursor be over "No" if she intended not to send that picture in a mass email?
My SP Fan Site.

Favorite Character: Chef (RIP, for reals this time)
Favorite Episode: Anyone with Butters in it.
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Dec 13, 2013 9:02 pm Offline
  • Profile
Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:24 pm5686The Mormon Homeland
Big-Will wrote:
ShellyBroflovski wrote:
But we DID NOT SEE HER CLICK YES! The shot was deliberately cut away before we saw if she did in fact click yes.

We saw her move the mouse cursor over "Yes." We saw her click the left button on the mouse. We saw her crying and wiping away her tears right after she did it. Would she be crying if she had clicked "No"? Wouldn't the mouse cursor be over "No" if she intended not to send that picture in a mass email?


There was time for a mouse move between the last shot of the screen and the shot of Wendy actually clicking. We don't have to assume those shots were continuous.

And her tears could be from the inevitable taunting she will continue to receive because she couldn't go through with it.

I think both outcomes fit with what was shown.
Image
You read it! You can't unread it!
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Dec 13, 2013 9:11 pm Offline
  • Profile
Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:43 pm89
I liked this episode a lot better than I anticipated to given that the it was known the Kardashians were to be the focus of it.

Instead of doing an episode a la "It's a Jersey Thing" which was literally just like watching a cartoon version of Bravo or something and pretty "meh" in retrospect, they made a witty and hilarious episode satirizing the pressure younger girls face to be pretty due to the poor excuses for role models they have on television.

The "Hobbit" jokes were wonderful and it didn't get old for me to hear Kanye repeatedly denying Kim's hobbit-like physique, because they kept building on the reference. That is, as opposed to just repeating a single running gag, the Kanye/phone gag kept expanding on its explanation of why Kim is a hobbit. The line about "The Hobbit" being "based off of the show 'Keeping Up with the Kardashians' which is a show about fake, loud, little people living in a fantasy world" had me in stitches.

Additionally, the joke about Kanye being a "recovering gay fish" definitely cracked me up, as did the bit about Butters being "just an as*hole".

So this episode certainly didn't fall short on delivering comedic material but was also riddled with scathing social commentary.

9/10 for having aired after the 10/10 Black Friday trilogy but nonetheless a phenomenal ending to a wonderful season which had only one (or maybe two, if looking at WWZ and Goth Kids 4) letdowns for me.
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Dec 13, 2013 9:47 pm Offline
  • Profile
Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:26 pm10
Yeah, this episode could've very easily became a rehash of "Stupid Spoiled Whore Video Playset" but kudos to Trey and Matt for making sure this didn't happen by going in a very different and more poignant direction.
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Dec 13, 2013 9:59 pm OfflineBoard Moderator
  • WWW
  • YIM
  • Profile
Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:57 am17368Hollywood, CA
triplemultiplex wrote:
And her tears could be from the inevitable taunting she will continue to receive because she couldn't go through with it.

Now, this assumes the girls were sure she was going to Photoshop herself, or even dared her to do it. We don't see that.

I was surprised that Kanye went to her place to persuade her though. :lol: There may be more to this yet.
My SP Fan Site.

Favorite Character: Chef (RIP, for reals this time)
Favorite Episode: Anyone with Butters in it.
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostFri Dec 13, 2013 10:26 pm Offline
  • Profile
Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:32 pm4
I've watched it again, and let me tell ya', this is one of those episodes that just gets funnier, and funnier. It's just so ludicrous...

"Bitch, why you not the hobbit again?"
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostSat Dec 14, 2013 8:59 am Offline
  • Profile
Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:52 am2269Croatia (SE Europe)
Lisa Burger's similarity with Lorraine from 1605 Butterballs is astonishing. :P
Image
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostSat Dec 14, 2013 10:22 am Offline
  • Profile
Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:47 pm1563Eating a Ditka-Shaped Waffle with Joe Montana and Punxatawney Paulomalu
Mamont wrote:
Lisa Burger's similarity with Lorraine from 1605 Butterballs is astonishing. :P
Image

Lisa Berger used to be Lorraine. Anyways, it seems like whenever the girls get an episode, it ends up being really awesome. Maybe they should get an episode every season and if not, they should at least get more lines.
Niels0827 wrote:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/ ... 897901.png
Seriously, nobody likes you. Fuck off.
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostSat Dec 14, 2013 1:18 pm OfflineBoard Moderator
  • WWW
  • YIM
  • Profile
Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:57 am17368Hollywood, CA
Mamont wrote:
Lisa Burger's similarity with Lorraine from 1605 Butterballs is astonishing. :P
Image

I knew she had been on the show before! Yowzah! She's made it past being bullied. :)

Lorraine isn't the only kid to get a new name in this episode:

Anne Polk has been renamed Annie Nelson
Bill Allen is now Billy Turner (which makes him the forth Turner in class, along with Tommy, Heidi, and Sally)
My SP Fan Site.

Favorite Character: Chef (RIP, for reals this time)
Favorite Episode: Anyone with Butters in it.
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostSat Dec 14, 2013 6:35 pm Offline
  • Profile
Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:51 am254
Another very strong episode in what turned out to be an excellent season.

Cartman's "she looks like she was hit in the face with a hot shovel" line stole the show for me. But there was a lot to like. Too much Kanye for me, and those were the weakest scenes IMO.

But very good overall, at least an 8.5/10.
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostSat Dec 14, 2013 10:10 pm Offline
  • Profile
Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:36 am1434in a secret underground bunker
Very Interesting Episode. I totally agree with Wendy that our entire country is "Self-Imaged" and it is slowly destroying our society.

As a Communication Major, I have read MANY stories and theories as to why the media has this "Self-Image" issue. A lot is blamed on movies and television, and even on our music (yes I am even talking at you Kanye). We have to have the best of the best, or else....we are just like everyone else, and are deemed a failure in the eyes of the world. The computer of course, has made "self-imaging" possible. It has made "Selfies" possible and people like Anthony Weiner flashing his dick to the world possible (BTW...see the ending about the Child Porn posture, I knew that was Planned there nicely by M&T to send a message).

We all are looking too much at people's "outer" beauty, and not enough at ones "Inner" beauty. That is why there are so many divorces, so many breakups, so many "one night stands" because people don't care who or what they are with, as long as it is sexy, hot and full of action.

Another issue that this episode co-insides with is Bullying. I myself have been bullied, and it too isn't right. But it all goes together with self-image. If you don't look like Tom Brady and Giselle...or Beyonce and Jay-Z....than you are a nobody in the eyes of our society. It isn't fair. It shouldn't be this way....but it is.


Side notes now....

Positives: Wendy's character role really changed in this episode, and for me, for the better overall. She is still a bitch, but she has finally showed morale. Nice to see Nicole getting a much bigger role as well. Like Clyde so that was a nice twist. PS: Clyde is a dick. He is one who has only cared about his 'looks' and only dates women on that basis. Fitting that he would end up stirring this hot pot! :P The "Jelly School" was a classic. Butters was Butters. Liked the Pope Francis and Kayne's "Gonna let him finish" moment. "Water Balloons" comment was funny :lol:

Negatives: Kayne. Kayne. Kayne. Too much Kayne. He (the hobbit role) was funny, some good lines, but his antics got old....Quick!! Could have cut a good 5 minutes of him! :roll: I understood the ending, and why it was but I still was hoping for a response to when Wendy photoshopped herself, and so that too was a dissapointment.

8/10 (mostly negative due to all the Kayne sh*t, if they have cut him, this could have easily been a 9/10 or higher).
RTL: I love being a dick to people for no reason. It makes me feel better about how my mom smacks me around with a frozen T Bone steak.
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostSun Dec 15, 2013 1:49 pm Offline
  • Profile
Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:51 am254
Big-Will wrote:
Mamont wrote:
Lisa Burger's similarity with Lorraine from 1605 Butterballs is astonishing. :P
Image

I knew she had been on the show before! Yowzah! She's made it past being bullied. :)

Lorraine isn't the only kid to get a new name in this episode:

Anne Polk has been renamed Annie Nelson
Bill Allen is now Billy Turner (which makes him the forth Turner in class, along with Tommy, Heidi, and Sally)


She looked familiar to me as well. At first I thought she was the girl Wendy had (Canadian accent) queef right in Butter's face (/Canadian accent). But nope, it's the Bucky Bailey Bully Buckers poster child.
Re: *1710: The Hobbit* Post-Air Discussion PostSun Dec 15, 2013 5:37 pm Offline
  • WWW
  • Profile
Tue May 24, 2011 1:49 pm3867In range of my WiFi
The episode was trying to say something, which is more than I can say for the last several episodes.

Until the very last scene, I thought they were parodying people like Wendy, as no one IRL acts anything like the boys do in this episode. Maybe it's just my bias but their message was unclear but there was definitely a message here for once and I can't fault them for not trying. I thought it was making the point Brendle did! But given what they said in Stupid Spoiled Whore playhouse, it was probably the point that other people are taking.

There weren't many laughs in the A plot but that was more than made up for in the Kanye stuff; the repeated joke and celebrity parody stuff actually worked because they made each repeat of the joke different enough and it was in contrast with the rest of the episode, kind alike the Rob Schneider or Russel Crowe stuff. Same with the jelly/hater stuff.

I totally agree with Mike and Shelly that it's good for Wendy's character that she has finally lost something, it makes her much less of a Mary Sue and a more interesting (and sympathetic) character.

I'd usually complain about how little the main boys were used but everyone got a nice cameo and Wendy was finally allowed out of the box she's been stuffed in the last few seasons.

Reminded me of an earlier season episode in terms of quality, very good.
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
Display posts from previous:  

Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
Page 4 of 6 78 posts Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Beta Classic X