Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 1 of 3 45 posts 1, 2, 3  Next
*713* Butt Out PostWed Mar 19, 2008 8:50 am OfflineSite Admin
Thu May 20, 2004 7:52 am2362The Internet
After Representatives from the anti-smoking campaign do their song and dance for the children of South Park Elementary, the boys take up the nasty habit.
Re: *713* Butt Out PostSat Jul 26, 2008 4:06 am Offline
Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:57 pm5
It's obvious that the creators of South Park are smokers. Smoking kills and has no silver lining. When I see someone smoking, I see a drug addict with a syringe sticking into their veins. People should be allowed to smoke in special smoke boxes where nobody can see, hear or smell them. My manager is a smoker and when he comes to my desk to talk me, his breath smells so bad that I get heartburn and literally want to vomit. Smokers are drug addicts.
Re: *713* Butt Out PostSat Jul 26, 2008 7:45 am Offline
Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:49 pm1709Delaware,USA
I keep humming to the cigarette song when it comes to this episode. :D

"With a hidey lidey lidey and a hidey lidey lay
We work and we make cigarettes all hidey lidey day
So folks can get a breaky from their stressful lidey lives
And relaxy with the cigarettes we make all day and night" :lol:

That and that guy who behaves like a vampire (the one that gives Cartman a poison cupcake). He would just come in memory and then I would wonder if he is a vampire or not.
Hayley B: My own name Location: Delaware,USA
Favorite South Park Character: *too many* But I like Kenny,Kyle,Cartman,Butters,Satan,& Damien.
Re: *713* Butt Out PostSat Jul 26, 2008 6:53 pm Offline
Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:11 pm1534argentina - the asshole of planet earth
codeguruj wrote:
It's obvious that the creators of South Park are smokers. Smoking kills and has no silver lining. When I see someone smoking, I see a drug addict with a syringe sticking into their veins. People should be allowed to smoke in special smoke boxes where nobody can see, hear or smell them. My manager is a smoker and when he comes to my desk to talk me, his breath smells so bad that I get heartburn and literally want to vomit. Smokers are drug addicts.

no, they are not smokers
i've heard them speak about this episode in an interview and their argument for it is really that some of the anti smoking laws being made are being a bit extreme and, even though its obviously not healthy, people should try to be a bit more tolerant of it, specially because there are people who have to work hard about 12 hours a day and their moment of relaxation is a cigarette break, taking it away from them sounds kind of cruel, like cartman says "It's like, smoking brings a lot of people just a little bit of joy and, and you get to take that away from them. You are so awesome!" (lol!)

im pretty much the anti smoker myself but i get their point, there's way too much intolerance of smokers in usa

very funny episode btw, love the first part where they actually start smoking because of the butt out group and their fear to become like them hahhaha
Re: *713* Butt Out PostSat Jul 26, 2008 7:18 pm Offline
Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:49 pm1709Delaware,USA
jewish pride wrote:

very funny episode btw, love the first part where they actually start smoking because of the butt out group and their fear to become like them hahhaha

I love that part too. It's like 'da hell I would ever want to be like you' towards that "Butt Out Group". :lol:
Hayley B: My own name Location: Delaware,USA
Favorite South Park Character: *too many* But I like Kenny,Kyle,Cartman,Butters,Satan,& Damien.
Re: *713* Butt Out PostSat Aug 30, 2008 7:11 pm Offline
Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:45 pm1
I am 59 and enjoy most South Parks, but this one on smoking was really bad. When you are 15 years old you think nothing will ever hurt you and the last thing you care about is 50 years into the future.

My former wife's mother and father were big smokers, and they both died before they turned 60. He died at his desk from a brain bleed, and she died struggling for breath from emphysema, which is slow suffocation. My ex-wife smoked at least a pack a day starting at age 14 and would tell me "Everybody dies, and you have to die SOME way." She died at age 53 from a combination of smoking-related diseases -- a bad heart, several mini-strokes, and lung problems.

Compare that to my father who quit at age 43 and is now about to turn 91. (But two of his brothers, both smokers, died of cancer decades ago.)

This is all true. Believe it or don't. It's YOUR life and the only one you will get.
Re: *713* Butt Out PostSat Aug 30, 2008 7:52 pm Offline
Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:15 pm5110
Very good points.

There are a lot of teenagers who watch SP and that song from the tobacco company may send the message that smoking is no big deal: "and if I die of cancer when I'm 80 I don't care; who the hell wants to be 90 anyway."

It's not like that.
Re: *713* Butt Out PostSun Aug 31, 2008 12:07 am Offline
Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:43 pm18783I was over nah, but now I'm over heah.
My maternal grandmother had a similar situation. She smoked several packs a day from the time she was a teenager until in her mid 60's, when she developed emphysema. She was on all kinds of inhalers and crap from then on. And she was on oxygen full time the last 5 years of her life, which weren't really that great.
On the opposite side of the spectrum, and family, my Dad's aunt drank and smoked a couple of packs a day from her teens up into her late 70's. She only stopped because she developed an ulcer. She'll be 86 in December.
Re: *713* Butt Out PostTue Jan 20, 2009 4:15 pm Offline
Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:09 pm920
If you plan on being so cruel as to die young I think I’m allowed to tell that person not to have children.
Re: *713* Butt Out PostTue Jan 20, 2009 5:28 pm Offline
  • YIM
Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:05 pm4262http://www.southparkstudios.com
Like this episodes lampshade hanging from kyle :p
Cartman got his comupance, and we got to see some good differences between him (who thinks everything is a competiton and can't see that others have different goals, and is altogether rather more naive than he appears) and kyle. The boys did seem like assh*les to cartman but i suppose he deserved it as usual :p

While the arguments were siplified I think the show made a good point that all the attention on smoking that anti-smoking campaigners (who are distinctly NOT cool) give makes young people want to smoke more. The big-tobacco arguments are rare to hear so the show kinda strawmanned them, but when you do hear them they end up in truther terirory. The willie wonka style factory tour was absurd, but no more so than the big-tobacco conspiricy theories. I didn't get weather they were trying to be sarcastic or not with the "without tobacco most of our black friends..." joke XD

The message of this episode that I agreed with the most was that everything we do for enjoyment (eating, drinking, smoking) is going to be detremental to our health, and as there's no point in living unles we enjoy our lives, we might as well smoke. Now WHY anyone would enjoy smoking is beyond me, but some people really do seem to enjoy it.

That said, passive smoking isn't the lie they put it forth to be, that was as bad as the anti-"manbearpig" episodes. Passive smoking is a fact, though I apriciate their attack on anti-smoking's use of emotional pleas. The way they acted like smoking only hurts those who smoke simplified the argument, though it was mostly just a joke. I also disagreed with the 'personal resposability' message, couldn't disagree more In fact, but this is still one of the episodes that fits together best, and the jokes worked well even if you disagree with the message as i did.

Part of our gcse english exam was an essay on smoking and weather it should be banned, I got an A for parroting the message of this episode, so thanks Butt out!

Quote:
Smokers are drug addicts.

And you're not? You're addicted to hundreds of chemicals in your food, physically and mentally, which are detremental to your health. Smoking is an unhealthy addiction, but people only hurt themselves when they smoke. It's people with this smokers (and drug addicts in general) iz teh evil attitude who make me want to smoke (though i don't smoke) because they're illogical emotional fools who cling to a life THEY WILL LOOSE. I agree, smoking should be confined to certaina areas, but there should be no law saying your establishment is not one of those areas. If you don't want to work for a pro smoking company, don't.

You will die, and Soon! You're more likely to be hit by a car, you may have a stroke, to fall dead from aheart attack, to develop genetic cancer, than to die of smoking related illnes. Live while you can and let others live the way they want to. It's illogical to expand your life at the expense of living it, when you could very well die of one of these other reasons before you expierience these added years of father misery.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
Re: *713* Butt Out PostThu Jan 22, 2009 10:02 pm Offline
Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:54 pm91Southern Cali, that's all I can say
Tobacco and alcohol have torn my family apart. My mother, Lana, is the youngest of 12. Three of her brothers smoked and drank, and none of those three lived to age 60. I've tried my best to avoid eating fast food, the successor to tobacco, and so far that's gone extremely well. Lana smokes between 12 and 40 cigarettes daily. I fear she'll be dead by 2029 (age 65 for her) if she doesn't quit soon. As for me, I've long since promised myself never to light up a cigarette. Yes, I fear death, but it's mainly because I live for the future (though I can't predict it). 1 in 5 students in my college smokes, and it's always getting in my face. I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't have first-hand smoking in my destiny.
Re: *713* Butt Out PostMon Jul 20, 2009 8:01 am Offline
Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:35 am8
Great episode, and for those that think this is a Pro-smoking episode, they are very very wrong, since the show has different angles that not everyone will pick up on. Its more or less about how anti-smokers tend to go overboard and how they treat other smokers.

I don't smoke myself, and I see it as a drug, but I'm not an extreme anti-smoker, although I'm very pro when it comes to smokers not being allowed to smoke in the vicinity of non-smokers. Where I live, such a law exists, forbidding smokers from smoking in public places like restaurants, pubs, even taxi's unless they get the permission of the driver.

Now a smoker might look at this law and say, "WTF! That's not fair, its my choice to smoke and I should be allowed to do it anywhere I please"...

Well, as a non-smoker, its also my choice to be able to sit down in a public place, and not have to breath in the contaminated air from a cigarette! It may not be as damaging as puffing away on the cig itself, but it certainly doesn't help when it comes to the smell and secondary effects.

So such law's are created to provide an equal ground for both parties, and I really can't fathom anyone who is against such things.

Some would also say that smoking is a choice, well in some cases, yeah, and in others, no. Smokers that I know don't go around and say, "I love this, .... This is a great habit to pick up"... No, nearly all of them want to quit, and we all know we'd be better off without the tobacco industry. It may provide jobs, and gives a boost to the economy, but at the expense of tempting the taste buds of other people.

Someone made an argument that we all consume drug addicting substances, such as food, junk food, chemically ridden plates of god knows what. Yep, we also use different shampoo's which has as much chemicals in it than a toxic swamp filled with farting toads...

However, there's a fine difference between food, and yes, even junk food (in reasonable quantities) compared to cigarettes and alcohol, in which cigarette's is basically an exhaust pipe in which you put your mouth too and suck in the fumes, while alcohol is a substance in which we consume in either to have a "Good time", compared to the accepted products that we deem as "essentials".

Anyhow, rant over :P...

All you have to wonder is how unusual it is for us to create substances in which do more harm than good...
Re: *713* Butt Out PostSun Oct 18, 2009 8:41 pm Offline
Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:56 pm1
This episode isnt about wheather or not smoking is bad for you but wheather people have the right to CHOOSE to smoke. if people wanna smoke, they should be able to. If they get cancer, then they can only blame themselves but it still should be there choice. not governments or rob reiner.

Great episode
Controversial PostWed Nov 11, 2009 4:13 pm Offline
Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:43 pm45
I one enjoyed it very much, great episode, not the one to show kids. Second hand smoke is a pain in a butt...
4.3/5 **** episode.
well done. again...and again...
Re: *713* Butt Out PostWed Nov 11, 2009 4:34 pm Offline
Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:38 pm4
I thought that this thread was about the area code for Houston Tx.. which is also 713... guess not

Sort by  
Page 1 of 3 45 posts 1, 2, 3  Next