Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 20 of 22 320 posts Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Re: *1508: Ass Burgers* Post-Air Discussion PostTue Oct 11, 2011 11:22 pm Offline
Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:31 pm8
Lvia wrote:
As a conspiracy theorist, I interpreted the message of this episode rather quickly and found it to be genius. If I misinterpreted it wrong, eh, that's on me... but after the show ended, I thought, "Wow... either you got it and thought it was excellent, or you didn't get it, felt mindfacked/confused and thought it was not funny at all."

I hope the whole season has this kind of humor. It's what makes the show special after all these years.

I agree with you completely!

I was unsure at first but as I watched I realized it was brilliant. Its a different kind of humor than south park has had before.

everyone is so caught up with the aspergers and who got offened. I thought the really interesting thing was M+T making a large character dynamic change (stan drinking and being depressed) that it seems like they are going to keep going with, instead of just resetting everything like usual.

Who knows though? I guess well just have to wait and see.
Re: *1508: Ass Burgers* Post-Air Discussion PostWed Oct 12, 2011 4:47 pm Offline
Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:11 pm78
Drunk Stan was soooooo FUNNY!! :lol:
Re: *1508: Ass Burgers* Post-Air Discussion PostWed Oct 12, 2011 5:08 pm Offline
Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:32 am2732So Cal
What bothered me a bit about the eppy other than the 'quick fix' at the end was people didn't seen sh*tty to Stan. Kyle turned into sh*t. Stan was surrounded by sh*t yet he seemed to see everyone normally and hear them in the episode. Part of Stan's sadness was everyone being sh*tty.

Something also- I think it would have been better for the episode if Stan got the HPV shot like the girls did. Gardasil is what I am sure they received and it's not just for girls. Taken from the web-

In boys and young men ages 9 to 26, GARDASIL helps protect against 90% of genital warts cases.

So a flu shot seems more random. If the show started off with Stan getting an HBV vaccine then talking with Mackey then being diagnosed with Aspurger's... makes more sense imo.

When did Stan get a flu shot? Recently in the eppy? If it were forever ago and Mackey put the label on him now, sounds even sillier! Stan is born in Oct where flu shots are generally given so it could have been recent... I put way too much thought into things, damn.

Anyway, thought I should point this out :).
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.
Re: *1508: Ass Burgers* Post-Air Discussion PostWed Oct 12, 2011 7:55 pm Offline
Stanluv25 wrote:
What bothered me a bit about the eppy other than the 'quick fix' at the end was people didn't seen sh*tty to Stan. Kyle turned into sh*t. Stan was surrounded by sh*t yet he seemed to see everyone normally and hear them in the episode. Part of Stan's sadness was everyone being sh*tty.

Something also- I think it would have been better for the episode if Stan got the HPV shot like the girls did. is what I am sure they received and it's not just for girls. Taken from the web-

In boys and young men ages 9 to 26, helps protect against 90% of genital warts cases.

So a flu shot seems more random. If the show started off with Stan getting an HBV vaccine then talking with Mackey then being diagnosed with Aspurger's... makes more sense imo.

When did Stan get a flu shot? Recently in the eppy? If it were forever ago and Mackey put the label on him now, sounds even sillier! Stan is born in Oct where flu shots are generally given so it could have been recent... I put way too much thought into things, damn.

I think the vaccination Mr. Mackey said Stan had a month ago was the HPV vaccination.... M'kay?
Re: *1508: Ass Burgers* Post-Air Discussion PostWed Oct 12, 2011 10:34 pm Offline
Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:27 am39
jpotion wrote:
I agree with you completely!

I was unsure at first but as I watched I realized it was brilliant. Its a different kind of humor than south park has had before.

everyone is so caught up with the aspergers and who got offened. I thought the really interesting thing was M+T making a large character dynamic change (stan drinking and being depressed) that it seems like they are going to keep going with, instead of just resetting everything like usual.

Who knows though? I guess well just have to wait and see.

Seems like pretty standard South Park humor to me... they are just trying to involve new themes like anyone who doesn't want to seem stale and repetitive. Aaand... pretty sure that was just the last laugh of the episode - those are pretty standard too in this series. If Stan still drinking at the end was anything but that last laugh I'd be disappointed since the whole "left turn" gag would be compromised and things would be getting repetitive.
- the word as it came from Jesus
Re: *1508: Ass Burgers* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Oct 13, 2011 12:34 am Offline
jpotion wrote:
Stanluv25 wrote:

Something also- I think it would have been better for the episode if Stan got the HPV shot like the girls did. is what I am sure they received and it's not just for girls. Taken from the web-

In boys and young men ages 9 to 26, helps protect against 90% of genital warts cases.

I think the vaccination Mr. Mackey said Stan had a month ago was the HPV vaccination.... M'kay?

No, he clearly said it was the flu shot! XD I know it doesn't matter but I still think the HPV would have made more sense for the eppy. :wink:

Haa, I love that line.
Re: *1508: Ass Burgers* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Oct 13, 2011 2:53 am Offline
Stanluv25 wrote:
jpotion wrote:
Stanluv25 wrote:

No, he clearly said it was the flu shot! XD I know it doesn't matter but I still think the HPV would have made more sense for the eppy. :wink:

yeah I watched it again and its not the HPV one.

I think I just assumed it was the first time i saw it, because it would have made more sense
Re: *1508: Ass Burgers* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Oct 13, 2011 3:11 am Offline
Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:25 pm28
Lvia wrote:
As a conspiracy theorist, I interpreted the message of this episode rather quickly and found it to be genius. If I misinterpreted it wrong, eh, that's on me... but after the show ended, I thought, "Wow... either you got it and thought it was excellent, or you didn't get it, felt mindfacked/confused and thought it was not funny at all."

I hope the whole season has this kind of humor. It's what makes the show special after all these years.

You can find out how Matt & Trey feel about conspiracy theorists if you watch The Mystery of the Urinal Deuce.
Re: *1508: Ass Burgers* Post-Air Discussion PostSat Oct 15, 2011 1:58 am Offline
Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:32 am5
Funny episode. But honestly its probably the least best one of this season so far. You really couldnt think of a better solution/explanation for what had happened in the previous episode. So it was well expected this one would be more random, to where most in this season had been on 1 general topic that didnt stray too far off. Was still great, just like every other episode.
Re: *1508: Ass Burgers* Post-Air Discussion PostThu Oct 20, 2011 5:18 pm Offline
Tue May 24, 2011 1:49 pm3867In range of my WiFi
I didn't find it too sh*tty but i WAS drunk off my head when I watched it. just now.

Until I saw 19 minutes on. It got even more depressing than the one before :(
It seemed like Trey was being honest with this and it's something thought over before it was done. He considered changing things up but, well, he's over 40 dude :(
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
Re: *1508: Ass Burgers* Post-Air Discussion PostTue Nov 08, 2011 5:58 pm Offline
I still find it so silly Mackey automatically thought Stan got Asperger's from the flu shot. I mean really, you're going to take the word of a child councilor (who isn't even good) and not go through any further testing? Or symptoms other than being depressed? :lol:

I still think they should have gone with the HPV shot as the one Stan got that led to his diagnosis. It would have flowed better since they were discussing the shot already in the beginning.

So ya, had to say that as I clearly have nothing else better to do. :roll:

Haa, I love that line.
Re: *1508: Ass Burgers* Post-Air Discussion PostTue Nov 08, 2011 6:03 pm Offline
  • YIM
Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:41 am3188Elsewhere
That's actually more realistic than you may think. My doctor wanted to diagnose me with ADHD following my parent's divorce. I was really depressed and didn't do very well in school at the time. My doctor (somehow) thought that it was a sign of ADHD. So...yeah.
Can't we all just get along?
Re: *1508: Ass Burgers* Post-Air Discussion PostWed Nov 09, 2011 1:15 am Offline
..... and it being SP, shouldn't be too surprised Stan was diagnosed with something without further testing. :roll: I just hope for more attention to detail in an eppy, someday. :roll:

Haa, I love that line.
Re: *1508: Ass Burgers* Post-Air Discussion PostWed Nov 09, 2011 9:25 am Offline
Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:38 pm79Wisconsin
Stanluv25 wrote:
..... and it being SP, shouldn't be too surprised Stan was diagnosed with something without further testing. :roll: I just hope for more attention to detail in an eppy, someday. :roll:

My thought exactly. That couldnt really be the reason, I bet this will come up again in a different eppy (hopefully, i love wrinkles in characters) like cartman's father did in 200/201. And this is the best one of the second bunch of season 15. Although, that could be because i am a sucker for stan and kyle episodes. in fact, this one was the only one of the 2nd half of s15 that i've watched a jillion times, especially at the beginning. :unhoodedkenny: Anyway, i need to get into my internship before i fail everything!! :tweek:
"Sometimes, love is hard. But you cant just run away from it. When you start to have somethin special you have to work at it.Even though it might seem that the world is against you,u still have to hold on with both hands! "-Eric Cartman
Re: *1508: Ass Burgers* Post-Air Discussion PostSun Feb 05, 2012 1:32 am Offline
Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:07 pm8
I feel bad for most of the fans with AS on this forum who kind of got the "HEY, WE DON'T TAKE KINDLY TO YOUR TYPES WHO VOICE THEIR CRITIQUES ABOUT OUR FAVORITE SHOW!!!" I admit, some do take themselves a bit seriously. I should know, since they are among my disabled bethren (I have it too, to a very slight degree). Still, some SP fans completely overreacted to their overreactions, which weren't really overreactions but rather more like an effort to make sense of the episode. The biggest overreaction I saw was from a guy wrote a long, nasty post about the users with AS being akin to Muslim extremists and Scientologists. I felt like the bartender, who tried to calm the SP rednecks down "Calm down, they ain't hurtin' nobody." I understand that the main SP fans are upset with the recent censorship of SP episodes by Comedy Central, and with all the conservative backlash against the show by puritinical minded organizations, but it does seem like overkill to alienate other enthusiasts for the show just because their opinion is different from the mainstread fans. Ganging up on anybody is never a good thing, even if it's in the name of protecting the love of a show. I don't think Trey and Matt would approve of the ostacizing of a few individuals over a difference of opinion. This is very random for my first post. I know that the discussion which I described is long past, so that's all I'll say about it.

As for the episode, I thought of it as sort of a generous compliment to people with AS in disguise. Sure, the AS guys in the episode are frauds, and no one really with AS appears in it at all, but it satirized effectively the American public's inability to recognize or understand the disability. It's just a basic learning disability, but everyone is treating it like a disease that can be cured through complicated means. Because it's still not well understood, unreliable experts have been misdiagnosing it to kids just like they have done with ADD/ADHD. For example, one of the traits associated with AS is being solitary. If a kid wants to be by himself, they jump to conclusions that he may have AS. I curse Mr. Mackey for misdiagnosing Stan with AS just because he's depressed and he's a downer on the classroom. He should have just talked to Stan's doctor, who correctly diagnosed him with CA: cynical assh*le. The episode also subtly satirizes the public for jumping to conclusions about the connection between vaccines and the Autistic spectrum by grabbing whatever information, however flimsy, to back up their POV.

When the leader of the Matrix group that their AS group is actually composed of people who see the world as it really is, I saw that as a subtle compliment to those with AS: because some actually do see the world as it really is, and while they remain awkward, they're much more sensitive to the extremities of reality than most people. The whole alcoholism part is something which all social outcasts succumb to to make their perceptions less ugly, whether they are neurotypical or AS.

I didn't expect the conclusion to the previous episode to be like this. It was a bizarre turn, and it was kind of all over the place. Still, it got an emotional reaction from me just like the last one.
I was sad when Stan tried so hard to reclaim Kyle's friendship, only to be faced with stubborn indifference.

I'm curious about what inspired Trey and Matt to write the episode, or what led them to choose AS the episode's subplot. It would be interesting if they tried to take on AS again for the show.

Sort by  
Page 20 of 22 320 posts Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next